• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic is developing a PC exclusive game

pa22word

Some of us loved the first gears of war multiplayer. I made a ton of friends on it and played it for years. The game was so these with the close quarters shotty battles.

Yeah, but after this was the Gears 2 multi for the first few months after launch I was pretty much done with the series multi tbqh. I remember renewing my XBL the day I purchased Gears 2 back in 08...geez, what a colossal fuck up that was for me .___.

-PXG-

I knew it was a crap shoot, but at the panel, I asked if there were any plans for Samaritan...I got an explicit no, not some coy, ambiguous, bullshit answer. Basically a flat out no...

:(

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
love QuakeLive, love TF2, can't wait for another F2P shooter :) UT always was a nice alternative to Q3A, so I'm in.

Tellaerin

Unreal Tournament 4 on Unreal Engine 4 featuring melee combat from the Championship games, and playing like a proper sequel to UT2K4.

Epic instantly redeemed for wasting six years on Gears.

I'd be more than good with this. I loved UC.

Oh fuck yes. And make it F2P. All the amazing 2012 multiplayer games are F2P: Tribes Ascend, Firefall, Mechwarrior Online, and Hawken. What a GREAT year for multiplayer gaming.

No.

Dammit, no.

F2P is almost guaranteed to mean no user-made content. That model relies on DLC and microtransactions for revenue.

Go look at all the awesome mods, maps, custom models and other content that have been made for the UT games over the years by the community, which can be downloaded at no charge.

Now imagine a new game with none of that - a game that's actively designed to discourage custom content, because mappers and modelers giving away things for free would cut into the revenues from DLC that they're counting on to turn a profit.

Seriously, people, stop and think about what you're asking for here.

If they do release a new PC game, I want a classic Epic-style retail package. No F2P nonsense, just the game and whatever mapping and modeling tools you need to make custom content (a la UT2k4) for a reasonable price. Save the 'alternative revenue streams' for the console games, please.

Tellaerin

If its F2P Valve-style, it can have user made content. Encourage it, even.

This is true. I'll try to be optimistic if it does turn out to be an F2P title. Unfortunately, I know that not a lot of companies approach the market the way Valve does, so it's tough to stay positive. :s

Haunted

Unreal Tournament in-browser game with Facebook and Twitter integration, calling it now.

They've got their A-teams working on core games for UE4 multiplats (and maybe a Durango exclusive).

If it isnt browser based then it will almost certainly use GFWL. I'm done with that hassle.

Why is this? They're not obligated to perform fellacio to microsoft at this point.

F2P UT would be pretty rad so long as it's super-solid and their main focus is to position it as being a member of the forefront of the e-sports community and including features which make that possible (see: what valve is doing with CS:GO and Dota 2)

Mr_eX

I remember reading something about Epic making a free to play game, makes sense that it's a PC exclusive.

Satoho

Banned
I believe they noticed Starcraft 2's value and realise that there in fact is a market in PC-only multiplayer these days :)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Hoping this is some sort of warning shot to Sony and MS.

They make an amazing graphical showcase of UE4 on PC, blowing away everthing we have seen this gen by a mile.

Console gamers see it, want it, Sony and MS build consoles that are not dated right out of the gate, and PC gamers get to upgrade their hardware for the first time in a while.

Win win win.

But yeah, it will probably end up being a f2p UT or something....

Aesthet1c

If they do end up doing some kind of F2P UT, I really hope it's a new UT game, and not just UT99 in a web browser.

I think there is a lot of potential for a new arena shooter, with awesome stat tracking and solid match making in the F2P market. They could just charge for cosmetic upgrades or new skins.

wouldnt it be stupid to market/announce it like this as a pc exclusuive.

and then release a crappy f2p. I think that would just piss off a lot of pc enthusiasts.

Anyway. Almost a given the focus will be mp. So an ue4-tech oriented unreal tournament does not sound to far out. imho ofcourse.

Guri

If this uses Unreal Engine 4, it will be interesting. Epic in this generation was made by Gears back in 2006, because it surprised many people. If the same happens on PC, I'd like to see what would be their focus next-gen.

Massa

Hoping this is some sort of warning shot to Sony and MS.

They make an amazing graphical showcase of UE4 on PC, blowing away everthing we have seen this gen by a mile.

Console gamers see it, want it, Sony and MS build consoles that are not dated right out of the gate, and PC gamers get to upgrade their hardware for the first time in a while.

Win win win.

But yeah, it will probably end up being a f2p UT or something....

The only loser is Epic, throwing away millions and millions of dollars.

Onemic

They'll probably make another heavily under marketed UT game and then blame the low sales on an uninterested PC fanbase and piracy, just like UT3.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there really a market for arena shooters now? I play TF2 if I want shooty action these days. I might try Tribes if I want something else, and otherwise I'm not really interested in fast-paced shooty action.

Atomski

Is there really a market for arena shooters now? I play TF2 if I want shooty action these days. I might try Tribes if I want something else, and otherwise I'm not really interested in fast-paced shooty action.

Id love one.. There really is just nothing along the lines of UT on the market these days. Tribes is fun but its more about sledding in huge maps where as UT was more close combat double jumping everywhere :p.

Rad-

If it's as good as UT99, yes.

Top Bottom