• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2 is coming to Vita later this year

Suzzopher

I hope Sony have more Vita games in their pockets. Surely Destination PlayStation would have seen some more games shown.....right? right?

winjet81

The Wii version was apparently the best version full stop

My five-year-old son and I co-oped this on wii, and let me tell you, it was a god-awful experience. He begged and begged me to buy it after we finished EM1 last year, so I gave in.

The controls are horrendous and frame rate was terrible, but what really summed up our experience was the fact that we broke the game in 4 different areas where Mickey would inexplicably free-fall in open space, forcing us to reboot the game over and over again.

Add to that a story which is half as long and half as entertaining as EM1 (which itself was a snoozefest), an extremely bland colour pallette with half-assed art direction, and you have one of the worst games I have ever had the misfortune of playing.

Rootbeer

Banned
If the port turns out to be good there is a chance I might actually play this game now. So it's not all for nothing. Just mostly for nothing. Still, it's hard to imagine a much stranger port choice at this juncture

Takao

Banned
Disney closed down Junction Point, so I have a feeling Virtual Toys is doing this port. They did the Phineas & Ferb: Across the Second Dimension port for PSP, which was also a year after every other version.

What a weird port. If this was announced before the game was found out to be a turd I would've been interested because I think the touch screen could've leant itself to some unique game play. But now? Uh, no.

My five-year-old son and I co-oped this on wii, and let me tell you, it was a god-awful experience. He begged and begged me to buy it after we finished EM1 last year, so I gave in.

The controls are horrendous and frame rate was terrible, but what really summed up our experience was the fact that we broke the game in 4 different areas where Mickey would inexplicably free-fall in open space, forcing us to reboot the game over and over again.

Add to that a story which is half as long and half as entertaining as EM1 (which itself was a snoozefest), an extremely bland colour pallette with half-assed art direction, and you have one of the worst games I have ever had the misfortune of playing.
The other versions are even worse.

FoneBone

Disney closed down Junction Point, so I have a feeling Virtual Toys is doing this port. They did the Phineas & Ferb: Across the Second Dimension port for PSP, which was also a year after every other version.
Virtual Toys also did Cars 2 for PSP - another late port* that was published by Sony.

*actually I'm not sure if it was a port per se, but the point stands.

Jigolo

I only just got my Vita but this is good. The more games the better

Off-T:

PS3 not being able to recognize my custom background from my Vita is weak as fuck. PSN is needs to be fixed.

Skyzard

Banned
I was off-put by the horrendous Wii U reviews, didn't know it was out on other consoles, but if Sony is involved in making it maybe they can fix it up. Probably still won't get it unless it's super fun...

-never played either game but curious as it did get a lot of attention.

I get that it's cool to hate EM because neither game got close to fulfilling it's full potential, but if you like Disney and enjoy platformers, it's a solid buy. Sure it has problems, which we all know since the first game, but it isn't that bad of a game overall. Camera problems remain, some glitches occur every now and then, a broken AI partner, a shit framerate while in Co-OP. But even then, the game is enjoyable, and playable. I doubt that 90% of the people in the thread have played either game in the series.

Skyzard

Banned
What's with all these lame posts like the one above, were people that disappointed with the game? If it was mainly bugs then didn't they fix it? Hopefully the framerate is better too.

Vita could do with more kids games. Btw is pokemon still popular in Europe?

Takao

Banned
Virtual Toys also did Cars 2 for PSP - another late port that was published by Sony.

So yeah, it's probably them who are doing this port. They're located in Spain, and SCEE are announcing this port. Makes sense.

For those wondering, a Vita version of Disney Infinity was put on a retailer's website. That port makes a lot more sense ...

For those wondering, a Vita version of Disney Infinity was put on a retailer's website. That port makes a lot more sense ...

It's not impossible at this point, but wasn't that listed on one of those obscure European/South American stores that appears to add listings based purely on Internet speculation and rumor?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The Vita trolling in Vita related threads is downright painful to read.

It's why I usually just stick to the main Vita game thread for the month. It'd be nice if people would actually inform themselves about what games are available on the console before they do the whole "Dur hur, Vita haz no gaemes," schtick.

As someone who actually owns one, I have over 45 games installed on my system, a few more that are retail cart only, and there's a bunch more releasing over the course of this year that will just add to my Vita backlog.

The system is certainly not beyond criticism as far as its market presence goes, but the hardware and software available on the system is pretty impressive. The point of a handheld is handheld games. It doesn't matter if MGSHD is on consoles when the point of it being on the Vita is so that you can play it on the go.

I welcome ports, original IPs, spin offs, etc. If they're fun, I'm all there.

With all that said: Epic Mickey 2? Really? Did anyone ask for this?

Hell, if people are giving the Wii U crap for getting Deus Ex: HR, I have to say I'd much rather get a port of that for the Vita than Epic Mickey 2. Though, full disclosure, I never played any of the Epic Mickey games, so I have no idea if the games are actually good or not? Are they actually bad games? If EM2 is genuinely good, well, I'll rethink my position and check it out on the Vita. I have more time to play games on the go than I do console these days.

What's with all these lame posts like the one above, were people that disappointed with the game? If it was mainly bugs then didn't they fix it? Hopefully the framerate is better too.

Vita could do with more kids games. Btw is pokemon still popular in Europe?

Still one of the biggest IPs in the video-game industry.

Takao

Banned
It's not impossible at this point, but wasn't that listed on one of those obscure European/South American stores that appears to add listings based purely on Internet speculation and rumor?

Yeah, it was a Spanish retailer. Although, all of Disney's recent Sony handheld ports have been handled by a Spanish studio ...

etrain911

Do you think they'll change the AI? Honestly, the AI made the demo god-awful, otherwise I could've seen myself having fun with this. I don't know why they didn't just go with the co-op mechanic that lets you switch back and forth between the two characters at will.
Edit: Also, how was Virtual Toy's previous work? Better than the console equivalents? Worse? About the same?

Top Bottom