• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESA teasing a "big announcement regarding E3 2013"

Remk

New Orleans seems like an interesting choice
AND! that way MS will have the best setting to announce Voodoo Vince 2

vireland

Chicago would be nice. Given all the possible venues here, I think it would be a lot of fun, and also has a large international airport for easy access from all the participating countries, not to mention it's more equidistant.

Yep. I loved Chicago in the CES days. McCormick place was a decent venue as I remember it.

For restaurants, Thai Star (closed now), Arun's, Strats were all great places to eat, and of course Pizzaria Due and Uno. One of the CES parties was a tour on the lake almost every year, and that was always fun.

The only thing I really, really, really didn't like is EVERYONE downtown had their hand out for a tip. Practially as bad as you drop a paper in the hotel lobby and the concierge picks it up for you, he'll have his hand out. And I mean literally hand out. It's the only city I've been to in the world where it's this pervasive and in your face. It's a bit shocking initially, but it's really a tiny niggle in an overall great experience. Love the city. Love to go back there for an E3.

I can see it going to San Francisco or Las Vegas. Gonna be sad if it leaves LA. Also, it would mean a much longer drive for me lol.

element

New York would be awful. Just too much money. It would greatly reduce the amount of people that show up.

Chicago might work.

New Orleans would be challenging.

SF would be ideal due to the amount of publishers with offices in the city or surrounding area, but it is limited in Convention Space to hold something the size of E3.

Slaker117

Taking E3 somewhere completely different could be kind of cool, but given the geographical distribution of game developers and press, it makes sense to stay on the west coast.

vireland

New York would be awful. Just too much money. It would greatly reduce the amount of people that show up.

Chicago might work.

New Orleans would be challenging.

SF would be ideal due to the amount of publishers with offices in the city or surrounding area, but it is limited in Convention Space to hold something the size of E3.

Yeah, the SF square footage makes me wonder why they even mentioned it as being considered. LA, Las Vegas, New Orleans, and Chicago can handle E3 without breaking a sweat. But New Orleans in early Summer will probably be miserable like Atlanta, especially with this trend toward earlier hotter weather in late spring and summer. So I can see LA and Las Vegas as leaders with Chicago still in the mix. I can't imagine any publisher complaining about a convention in Las Vegas.

Thoraxes

Yep. I loved Chicago in the CES days. McCormick place was a decent venue as I remember it.

For restaurants, Thai Star (closed now), Arun's, Strats were all great places to eat, and of course Pizzaria Due and Uno. One of the CES parties was a tour on the lake almost every year, and that was always fun.

The only thing I really, really, really didn't like is EVERYONE downtown had their hand out for a tip. Practially as bad as you drop a paper in the hotel lobby and the concierge picks it up for you, he'll have his hand out. And I mean literally hand out. It's the only city I've been to in the world where it's this pervasive and in your face. It's a bit shocking initially, but it's really a tiny niggle in an overall great experience. Love the city. Love to go back there for an E3.
Ah, I actually live here so i've never actually dealt with that kind of (specific) stuff before. Besides staying at a place in the city though, there's lots of places in the suburbs to stay at for way cheaper, and it's only a quick 20-minute $2.25 train ride away to get right into the city fast too.

I see it moving to either Chicago, San Francisco, or somewhere southeast. San Fran might actually be a good area though since the weather wouldn't be that bad in June.

I've attended E3, Anime Expo, and other events at the LACC for so long that I'm just sick of that whole area. I remember going to a Video Games Live show on the final day of E3 about three years back and seeing some dudes run up to a bus stop where there was a promo poster for MvC3 and they just busted that thing open and just ran off. Mind you, this was also the same night of the riots after the Lakers won the NBA, so I doubt the cops were a little preoccupied taking down the guys who were lighting cars on fire... (see below link):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC13YEwbxmw

RagnarokX

Wouldn't moving east be an even bigger inconvenience since attendees are more likely to be west coast based if in the US? It'd be a longer flight from Japan, as well.

vireland

Ah, I actually live here so i've never actually dealt with that kind of (specific) stuff before. Besides staying at a place in the city though, there's lots of places in the suburbs to stay at for way cheaper, and it's only a quick 20-minute $2.25 train ride away to get right into the city fast too.

If you're attending/exhibiting/doing meetings/parties/press events for E3 in Chicago, you'd pretty much have to be downtown just for the proximity and convenience. It's not an issue of money, but time. The hand out thing from my CES experiences wasn't/isn't mentioned for the expense, just my surprise at how in-your-face it is. On other business trips, I've stayed out in Elk Grove a few times and it's not like it is downtown.

Who cares, it'll be terrible anyway.
e56a3.gif%20

SJRB

Gold Member
E3: we will now screen the conferences of the big companies to see if they actually have something interesting to tell. If not, the keynote is scrapped.

In other news, E3 has been cut down from 3 days to 90 minutes.

So, someone dies at Comic-Con but it still stays in San Diego.

It's a bit inconvenient to travel near the Staples Center and they move E3 out of Los Angeles.

Okay.

MMaRsu

Banned
Hey guys I'm going to create a topic but I wont tell you what it's about until next week ok?! BE SURE TO BE ON THE LOOKOUT!

New Orleans has the infrastructure, but....people still complain about E3 when it was in Atlanta due to the heat & humidity. New Orleans would be much worse. Additionally exihbitors have a prety high chance of being too hung over to do presentations (happened with Siggraph). June is the start of hurricane season. Granted there is a Comic-con New Orleans now so there is always a chance.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
The announcement will be

"It's only 10 months away!"

Then the gaming media will all collectively shoot themselves in the head and we will dance like wild savages around the fires of their burning corpses.

It will be a good time, bring marshmallows.

Oh yeah, of course. Neogaf is the forefront forum for industry 'gossip'.

Why not start the hype train little bit before than the others?

I can say that there's going to be a lots and lots of interesting announcements before E3 2013. Just be prepared, it's going to be really exciting time.

Why I'm not getting any twitter attention? Bacterial...

1-D_FTW

hell yeah, id make the trip for this one!
id not get in the doors, but still

ahaha, if ATL is hot i guess its good they never had it down in miami, vic. still, that place looks like it was awesome.

Wouldn't be surprised if Miami was cooler in the summer than Atlanta. Either way, if this was done purely for putting on the best convention, Las Vegas would win hands down. Obviously, however, politics will decide it. And that's why I lay 90 percent odds that New Orleans wins it.

1-D_FTW

having lived in both, there's some seasons you might be right, but i think we beat them on humidity.
which is to say we lose, cause fuck its hot

Never lived in Atlanta. Thought they had the humidity too.

I live down here in southwest Florida. I actually don't mind the summers that much. Although I know from first hand experience, if you're not living down here as the weather gradually heats up, it's a shock. If you just fly into it, it'll literally take your breath away when you step off the plane.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
"The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) is the U.S. association exclusively dedicated to serving the business and public affairs needs of companies that publish computer and video games for video game consoles, personal computers, and the Internet."

its a american company stop asking it to be outside of the united states it isnt going to happen ever

FoxRomeo

Banned
Oh hell no.

Atlanta was AWFUL for E3. Freight was expensive and it was HOT and very sticky due to humidity. I wasn't a huge fan of the venue, either.

However, my favorite thing about Hotlanta was the fireflies. I had never seen them in real life and we went to a restaurant called the 1848 House in the suburbs for a business dinner one night and they were *everywhere* in the back yard. There were 20 or 30 grown people from all over the world wandering around the huge backyard in business attire squealing (well kind of a cross between that and oohing and ahhing) and laughing like children after dinner. It's a great memory, but I wouldn't do E3 in Atlanta to do it again.

Chicago like the old Summer CES might be cool, but I think something like Las Vegas is more probable.

EDIT: Wow, it seems that they closed the 1848 House Restaurant and tore it down. What a shame. It was a GREAT place, and haunted, to boot. Here's a picture of it:

1848house.jpg
Lol at Shitcago. Do you want to get shot?

Kunan

Please be East Coast! West Coasters will get it again the year after anyways... throw us a bone! I'd guess there's a big lobbying from Montreal for New York (if publishers are even involved with this move selection).

Top Bottom