• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN working on a 30 for 30 special featuring the XFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Jonathan Coachman mentioned on an appearance on The Ross Report with Jim Ross that ESPN is currently working on a ” 30 for 30 ” documentary on the XFL.

Coach noted that they've been watching all the old XFL tapes, reliving the games and commentary. Coach also mentioned that former WWE star Jesse Ventura made $1 million a game at one point in the XFL.

world-wrestling-federation-chairman-vince-mcmahon-speaks-to-the-media-picture-id97339839

xflhateme.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

xflheader.jpg

APTR_XFL1.jpg

xflfinal2.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I remember really trying to get into this league when it first started, partially because I was big into wrestling at the time. I'll be honest the wrestling kind of colored my vision as to what this league was actually going to be compared to what I hoped it would be. I thought it was going to be like a mixture of WWE and Football where players were going the linemen were going to be pile driving the quarter back and you had to put the running back into a submission hold and get him to tap out before the play was called over.

The_Dama

the best part about the xfl was the part who gets the ball first. that was about it.

cant wait for the documentary

JLynn

I remember when Rod Smart AKA "He Hate Me", made the Eagles practice squad afterwards.

He will never live down that phrase. It's his "Whachoo talkin bout Willis?".

30 for 30s are usually always great, so I'm really looking forward to this one (and the inevitable Johnny Manziel one in ten years or so :p).

For those that haven't seen it yet, watch the one on the USFL. I believe it's still on Netflix US.
I was a kid in a city with a USFL team and it was fucking fantastic for a while. Great football, pulled in a good, fun crowd, was legitimately competing with the NFL.

Then
Trump

Watch it. :D

Haha this should be interesting.

Did they already do one about the USFL?

Edit: ^ haha thanks. I thought I remembered them doing one. I should give that one a rewatch.

JLynn

I also remember they had unique camera angles, like the camera that was literally hanging on a cable above the goal posts that panned left to right. The NFL snatched that up real quick.

Should be interesting. I was really excited for the XFL. Was disappointed when it wasn't "Xtreme" enough (i.e. real football).

Hahahaha what the hell @ Jesse's salary

Exactly how much dirt does he have on Vince

As a Minneapolis resident I remember the local controversy over a sitting Governor taking the time to become a sports announcer. If I recall correctly, his response was something along the lines of "What I do during my free time is my business."

I basically didn't give a shit. He reformed the tax code and got light rail tracks laid.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
the best part about the xfl was the part who gets the ball first. that was about it.

cant wait for the documentary

Spider/Sky cam came from XFL, the cameraman on the field came from the XFL. The entire "all-access" stuff all leagues are doing now came from there. They were pioneers as far as presentation goes and initially the ratings and attendance were good. But Vince pretty much killed it with his meddling, IIRC.

studyguy

The ONLY thing I remember is two dudes dashing at the ball to see who got it first?
Is that right? Someone got super fucked up doing it, no?

I went to a Xfl game back in the day in LA. I barely remember anything except fireworks and my brother dancing with the cheerleaders in the stands.

dankir

Whatever happened with that one time they went into the cheerleader's dressing room?

I remember the commercial "In a desperate attempt to raise our ratings....."

Fox318

I like to think we are all better people for living through this experiment.

Only good thing that came out of it was a different presentation style for football.

Other than that its living proof that Vince McMachon knows nothing outside of taking advantage of carnies

If anyone's curious, I strongly recommend the OSW Review guys' retrospective on the whole XFL debacle to give you a brief overview of what happened.
Damn beat me to it. They did a good job explaining it, as they always do.

Only good thing that came out of it was a different presentation style for football.

Other than that its living proof that Vince McMachon knows nothing outside of taking advantage of carnies

I can think of few words to describe Football fans better than 'Marks' and 'Carnies'

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I remember really trying to get into this league when it first started, partially because I was big into wrestling at the time. I'll be honest the wrestling kind of colored my vision as to what this league was actually going to be compared to what I hoped it would be. I thought it was going to be like a mixture of WWE and Football where players were going the linemen were going to be pile driving the quarter back and you had to put the running back into a submission hold and get him to tap out before the play was called over.

Everyone thought the same.

Then it turned out to just be football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom