• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN working on a 30 for 30 special featuring the XFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Everyone thought the same.

Then it turned out to just be football.

I basically wanted a real life Mutant League Football. Hopefully we genetic engineering on the rise I'll get my wish and one day I'll watch two 8 foot tall line man pull the arms and legs off the quarterback to win the game.

Hell yeah. I was so excited about the XFL back in the day. I even went to one of the first games in Las Vegas. It was pretty fun.

dabf09.jpg

Obligatory Simspsons IMG for everything

Jerm411

giphy.gif

Hell yeah, can't wait for that one lol....the XFL is been one of those things I've oddly been fascinated with.

Krejlooc

Banned
watching the very first XFL broadcast is hilarious. The very first XFL play ever injured both players because they had that stupid "run to the 50 yard line and fight over a loose ball" stuff. Both players dislocated their shoulder.

Now that in and of itself is not funny, but the announcers were hilarious. They were PROUD that players were being hurt. They kept bragging about how they didn't have insurance from the league, and how little they were payed, because it proved that they were playing for the love of the game, not for money or glory. Then, a few plays later, another player got hurt and they berated the guy on the air for getting hurt. Like one step away from calling the dude a pussy.

Most surreal thing I'd ever seen.

Sanjuro

No fair catches was a more sophisticated game of football.

I think it was you had to be 5 yards away from the player?

So is this gonna be like the USFL one where it's basically a shitload of crapping on Vince while he cackles in his money pit?

I'm down.

haha holy shit at that 1 million Jesse Ventura salary $$$$$$$

I remember watching the first game live, I bought into it, was alright

this documentary will be awesome

cruets

I took my nephew to the San Francisco demons first game. Was fun. PAC Bell park always a nice day out. Panasuck kicked the winning field goal

Wonder how much cooperation they'll get from Vince and co. from this. Bill Simmons would always mention when he started the 30 for 30 venture that his dream doc was one on Andre the Giant, but that he never thought the WWE would cooperate enough to make it happen.

gamz

I also remember they had unique camera angles, like the camera that was literally hanging on a cable above the goal posts that panned left to right. The NFL snatched that up real quick.

I was just going to write this. Yeah, the camera on cables was groundbreaking for sure.

RBH

XFL-Vince-Dick2-660x400.jpg

Three days before Super Bowl LI, ESPN Films will premiere the 30 for 30 documentary “This Was the XFL,” directed by Charlie Ebersol, chronicling the short-lived, ill-fated pro football league. The documentary, airing on February 2 at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN, tells the story in fascinating, candid, and often rollicking fashion featuring fellow television legends and close friends – Dick Ebersol and Vince McMahon.

A bold challenge, a fearless experiment and ultimately, a spectacular failure. In 2001, sports entertainment titans Ebersol and McMahon launched the XFL. It was hardly the first time a league had tried to compete with the NFL, but the brash audacity of the bid, combined with the personalities and charisma of Ebersol and McMahon and the marketing behemoths of their respective companies — NBC and WWE — captured headlines and a sense of undeniable anticipation about what was to come.
http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2016/11/espn-films-30-30-xfl-premiere-february/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom