• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB Watch: Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 rated for the Xbox 360/Playstation 3 (!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke Togo

1zoiurb.jpg

Screencap of the roster off the gametrailers HD video. Man, I might just have to take a break from SF4. :D

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
bomb_jack said:
Seems a bit odd to release a demo of a game that came out years ago on the DC.

Im almost sure that there were MAYBE kids who didnt play the game back then who have now grown up and havent played MvC2.

Maybe...

Bernbaum said:
It could be a test, but it could also be an attempt to hype up the franchise in order to make a new sequel more viable.

Capcom went to the trouble of getting the Marvel license back, and they have two good fighting game engines available. I'd say MvC3 is more likely than not already underway.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Finally, finally, it's officially announced.

It even comes out as most expected because of the pad/stick dates... nice to see even Marvel themselves in on the whole surprise & teaser thing too...

15 bucks? Kinda expected but still had me thinking why - then I saw that it'll have six-player spectator mode like the other arcade Street Fighters and said price doesn't matter!

Summer's gonna be a long wait! One of my favorite fighters period - no wait, it IS my favorite ever.

Father_Brain said:
Capcom went to the trouble of getting the Marvel license back, and they have two good fighting game engines available. I'd say MvC3 is more likely than not already underway.
Yeah, either the SFIV or TvC engines would be fine for it and be relatively inexpensive to make.

outsidah

ShockingAlberto said:
Yeah, either the SFIV or TvC engines would be fine for it and be relatively inexpensive to make.

Very true but I would love a straight up 2D MvC3. I'm sure it wont happen and *any* MvC3 will be appreciated by me :)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Father_Brain said:
Oh yes... oh crap, my balls exploded. brb.

Ridli

ShockingAlberto said:

Relatively being the key word here. There's still a lot of work either way. Still, it's not a bad situation for Capcom to be in. They have two fighting game engines freshly made with shipped products. They could play Wii or 360/PS3 and hit a huge installbase either way.

So is it confirmed that there's no rebalancing?

Also, I never understood why there were two Wolverines in the game. What's the difference between them?

Xabora

Ridli said:
Relatively being the key word here. There's still a lot of work either way. Still, it's not a bad situation for Capcom to be in. They have two fighting game engines freshly made with shipped products. They could play Wii or 360/PS3 and hit a huge installbase either way.
That would be a carpet bombing of awesome on the gaming market.

outsidah

autobzooty said:
So is it confirmed that there's no rebalancing?

Also, I never understood why there were two Wolverines in the game. What's the difference between them?

Bone Claws / Adamantium Claws

Other than that I dont remember

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.capcom-unity.com/jimmyrey/blog/2009/04/27/so_now_i_can_talk_about_the_gameits_mahvel_baby

So now I can talk about the game....IT'S MAHVEL BABY!
Monday, April 27, 2009, 09:39 PM [General]

It's official, Marvel VS Capcom 2 is coming out for PSN and XBLA! I bet absolutely no one...I mean no one saw this coming....ever! Yeah right =P. If you guys don't know me, my name is Rey. You might've heard some of the other games I've produced recently: Commando 3, 1942, and SUPER STREET FIGHTER II TURBO HD REMIX (yes..the all caps was necessary because the game is just that rad).

For the skinny on the details of Marvel VS Capcom 2 check out Sven's post here. I'm supplementing his megaton drop of details with some extra details of my own. Specifically on the new sprite filtering being done on the game.
As you probably know by now, we didn't redraw the game like we did with HD Remix (the thought of even trying that gargantuan task has kept me up at night, so many more frames than HD Remix), but we did include some visual options in the game that we think you'll like. Here's some screens from the game with a quick run down on the filters (It should be noted that this is all optional and users playing online can use what ever mode they want independant of their opponent):

Classic- No filtering. The sprites are shown in their full pixel glory. I love sprite work and I know a lot of you out there love it too, so we kept this in for you.

Smooth- For those in the know, this is based off of 2X Bilinear filtering but with some tweaks made for the game.

Crisp- This is based of off 3X Bilinear filtering, but it was also tweaked heavily for the game.

To make sure we got the game right, we needed the input from gamers that knew more about this game than anyone thought possible. So who did we find? None other than 2 prominent members of the MvC2 community MikeZ and Magnetro, who have been making combo vids for MvC2 for years.

We brought them in to Capcom way back in Janurary to check out the game. Basically we needed guys with deep knowledge in the game to make sure we ported the DC version correctly and there were no super esoteric bugs that only a hardcore MvC2 player could find. I'm glad they came in too, apart from many issues they found, they found a bug that would've totally ruined Magneto's square jump game. I've asked them to send me their thoughts on their experience here at Capcom and I'll leave you with their thoughts. Thanks for all the support guys!

Magnetro:

Hello, I’m David Magnetro Avila. Over the past nine years, I’ve been playing MvC2. At first I tried to get into the competitive scene of the game, eventually though, I decided to seriously explore the games engine. It’s amazing to see an engine that lends itself to thorough exploration as well as broad creativity. Recently, I’ve been showcasing videos at the Evolution National Championships. Although you’ll find all kinds of different types of media for the game on my web site: magnetro.com.

So what about the game got my attention? I think the engine and character selection lends itself to many different types of ideas. The fluid movements of the characters and screen complement each other when there is mayhem going on. Overall, it’s the sheer number of possibilities and different outcomes you can have with the characters that keeps me coming back. Despite the game being almost a decade old, it still has people playing it - just like Street Fighter II Super Turbo. And just like Street Fighter II Super Turbo, Capcom is making an effort to port this game correctly.

When I got to see the new version of MvC2, the first thing I noticed was: widescreen-1080P with a smoothing filter. The filter was designed specifically for Marvel vs. Capcom 2, so it looks great. (If you’re a purist: its possible to turn off all the new options and play it the way it was originally designed.) In addition to that, they’ve also added online play and a new button configuration. Taking advantage of the modern controllers, the new versions let you have the familiar six buttons plus extra buttons for dashing or tagging. This will help players that have trouble playing on sticks and use regular controllers.

Overall, I’m happy to see Capcom making an effort with this version of the game. It’ll be great for new players because they’ll experience the game in a faithful rendition.

MikeZ

Hello, Mike Z here. I’ve been playing MvC2 since the dawn of time – I created some popular combo videos and a series of healthy-living cookbooks - and the freedom of the game continues to fascinate me to this day. From day one, there was no other fighting game as hectic, as fast, or as interesting. The thrill of combining three characters into a team that is uniquely yours; the fact that you can’t blink or Magneto will be behind you; the satisfaction of picking off Captain Commando and knowing your opponent is now running scared…all the things that make MvC2 a truly unique game are still just as fresh as they were the day it arrived at my local arcade.

This is why, when Capcom asked me to come test a version of MvC2 with online play, I nearly soiled myself. We went through everything, from well-known glitches to standard combos and tactics, and the gameplay was all there. Certain gamebreaking bugs have been removed, of course (the Gambit glitch, for example) but everything else is intact. Guard breaks, infinites, simultaneous DHCs, unblockables, countering with Assist 2 after a snapout, the Juggernaut glitch…everything that makes MvC2 crazy is still the same. We checked for the problems that plagued the PS2 and Xbox versions (crippling slowdown, the counter-out bug, etc.) and found none. This is the game we all know and love, but prettier.

Speaking of pretty, this next-gen upgrade for MvC2 also offers a few extra goodies. Widescreen and HD support let the 3D backgrounds and hit effects truly shine. (Don’t worry, the stage is still the same size in widescreen.) For those who want it, a new filter mode offers the ability to reduce the pixelization inside characters (I happen to like the giant pixels, myself, but the effect is good). And perhaps the biggest news of all for die-hard MvC2 fans – just like other next-gen games, you can turn off the music and play your own instead.

There are a whole bunch of reasons you know you want this game, but me? I’m just excited to finally be able to put away my Dreamcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom