• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(EU? Norway?) NES Classic Mini reaching EOL - production ceasing

Seik

Banned
But...it still sells?!

Why would you phase out something that sells?!

Only thing that crosses my mind is that they don't want it to cannibalize Switch VC sales...but still, doesn't make that much sense.

Maybe because it got hacked?

I always said that Nintendo was using it as a means to increase brand value by having that hot item. Now that Switch is so close, they probably want that to be the focus. The NES Classic did its job, it got their name back into the general publics mind in time for their push for the Switch.

I suspected they didn't care about any money made off of the NES classic, or at least that wasn't the primary function.

It got their name back in the public eye as the company who can't do shit to keep up with the demand for their hardware. Sounds like a great identity to have when you're launching a new console!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
(source: I work at a large Scandinavian retailer)

We just got word from Nintendo (or rather, their Nordic distributor Bergsala) that the NES Classic Mini has reached its end of life and will be phased out. According to them production has ended and we will be receiving a few more shipments before everything dries up.

By our estimates, we (as a single retailer) might not be able to fulfill all orders that have been placed so far. Our last shipment should arrive in April or May, and after that there won't be any more shipments.

I have heard from other retailers that they've received the same information. Some of them are emailing customers to tell them that their order might be cancelled. (for example: https://www.minhembio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=329312&p=4411297 )

This all seems insane and I can't really understand what Nintendo is thinking.

Switch VC money. $5/ROM on the VC vs $2/ROM from selling the NES Classic Mini (and that's not counting what it costs to produce and distribute).

See, that was easy.

This is absolute bullshit if true. I missed out on one by a few minutes, and I still want one. I wish Nintendo would treat their fans better.

people never believed me when i said that they don't want to sell as many as possible of these. how about now?

Random user touting themself as a source isn't exactly proof. I'll wait till we here something official or at least multiple sources... especially when it flies in the face of what we've been told.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Ill wait for conformation. Wouldnt want to look like a fool! What retailer do you work for OP?

PSOreo

Normally I'd be sad and outraged by this but I can finally sell my boxed unit with extra controller. Need the money more than nostalgia these days.

Celine

Fucking Nintendo.
Way to screw my forecast on NES Classic Mini LTD.
It could have sold easily north of 3 million units.

Random user touting themself as a source isn't exactly proof. I'll wait till we here something official or at least multiple sources... especially when it flies in the face of what we've been told.

lets see, i can see it being true. i always believed that they didn't just underestimate demand, they just don't want to sell that many of them.

Lol water you doing Nintendo

To this day I have never seen a unit on store shelves , amazing.
I bet they will bring it back during the holidays
"We heard the demand, it's back again for a limited time"

I'm still calling a nes classic edition on switch day one
I think I lot of people would pay $60 for all those games to be on switch , I would

daxgame

Why the panic guys?
Please calm down, it's just another artificial shortage, Nintendo will benefit from it in 2021 by making it available again !
thank god I already own one

Turrican3

people never believed me when i said that they don't want to sell as many as possible of these. how about now?
But what would they gain?
It's basically free money left on the table (yes, even by taking piracy into account), it doesn't make any sense. :-\

spekkeh

Banned
Virtual console NES games prices incoming!

This is their way of pre-empting the "But Nintendo, we have 30 NES games for £50 here, why are you charging £5 each now?" question......
giphy.gif

Mafro

Switch VC money. $5/ROM on the VC vs $2/ROM from selling the NES Classic Mini (and that's not counting what it costs to produce and distribute).

See, that was easy.
Would be cool if they actually announced something about the Switch VC and what's going to be available at launch (I still don't think it'll be there at launch)

bman94

Well maybe they are about to announce plans for the new virtual console for the switch which will offer a wider variety of old games?

I mean you can argue that a lot of the value of the NES Mini comes from the nostalgia and from a collectable standpoint rather than games. And it's hard to push virtual console when they have that terrible drip drop release schedule.

Fredrik

Must be to prepare for an unhackable revision 2 in an atempt to counter the hack/piracy.
Or to add new features like an ethernet port and access to eshop.

I can totally see being linked to the hacking of the machine, even more so if they intend to use rom to make their switch subscription worth it.

JP

Wow, one of my nephews works in a retailer in the UK and he's after one himself and he told me last week that they weren't getting any more of these, I didn't really think anything of it at the time and thought maybe they weren't getting any in the short term.

I wonder if this is actually true, seems surprising.

I am glad I've got one already though.

Narroo

Most likely the reason is that they initially underestimated the demand for the thing and didn't have particularly flexible contracts with their factories. Despite being a hit, they probably don't feel it's worth the extra cost to resetup everything to make more. That'll be my guess.

Top Bottom