• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU PSN sale on various classic games (Okami, MGS HD Col., God Hand, etc.)

chrizzz09

Yes Persona 3 Portable is great. But it's not like with Persona 4, where Golden is just more or less an improvement over the original.
For Persona 3 there is unfortunately not a definitive version.
Compared to the PS2 versions there are technical shortcomings. The game plays more like a visual novel instead of 3D environments where you can run around the city and during ingame cutscenes. Only the dungeons and battles are still in 3D. And instead of anime cutscenes only still images from them. It isn't as good as in the original but works surprisingly fine like that. And the bonus dungeon from FES is missing.
On the other hand P3P has the additional female main character with new social links and she is great and the battle system is more like Persona 4, that you can individually command your team mates during battles instead of just AI.
I absolutely loved playing P3P and can recommend it. And playing on a handheld is always a plus for me.
But if you don't want to play the female MC and don't mind the AI team mates and don't necessarily want to play a portable version FES might be good pick.
That's why some would like a Golden-like treatment for Persona 3 to have the best of both versions combined. But since nothing like that is announced you have to pick what sounds best to you. Both versions are fine and no bad choice.

Thank you!
I'm mainly interested in the story and characters.
Based on your description P3P will serve me fine!

daydream

Banned
Just a heads-up, the discounts seem to be live in Germany.

I'm seeing the prices change more or less in real-time, haha, so someone's flipping the switch over there right now.

daydream

Banned
Oh, Lammy isn't available on the Vita store even though it's compatible? Any way to get it on the Vita without a PS3?

Edit: Seems like it may have some problems on Vita and that's why it's not available? Ah well.

Tizoc

EU and US rarely, if ever have concurrent sales. These games went on sale in the past so if you snoozed you...lose-d.
Give it a few more months and US PSN will have some of these games on sale.

As a brand new Vita owner I am still not sure about Vita back compatability - all PS1 via PSN run, but no PS2 games?

Some PS1 games are made compatible, PS2 games don't run on Vita.
You can use remote play to play PS2 games off your PS3 though.

daydream

Banned
Last question from me today - I remember that they removed Shinobi II from the Sega Mega Drive Collection (as opposed to the Genesis collection / US version). The German PSN description specifically mentions Shinobi II, though.

You guys think this is just a direct translation from, say, the US description or did they actually put the game back in for the digital version?

dock

5158543320_d49af968b6.jpg

It's probably about time for me to buy Grandia on PS1.
I was holding out for the Sega Saturn english translation. (not really, but that was my reason at launch!)

Nordicus

Hmm, interested in Persona 3 Portable, but maybe I've got other options...

*quick internet browsing*

Okay, nobody is selling any version of Persona 3 in the Finnish auction site that I use, and used copies in game stores in this country charge twice as much for a used copy.

Welp, going digital. Gonna empty my old 2GB memory stick and turn that one into dedicated Persona 3 stick

Tizoc

Ah rap. I was going to buy Um Jammer Lammy but it's not compatible with Vita? WTF?

PS3 transfer?

Hmm, interested in Persona 3 Portable, but maybe I've got other options...

*quick internet browsing*

Okay, nobody is selling any version of Persona 3 in the Finnish auction site that I use, and used copies in game stores in this country charge twice as much for a used copy.

Welp, going digital. Gonna empty my old 2GB memory stick and turn that one into dedicated Persona 3 stick

Dude just buy a 64 GB already...

ksdixon

Gah! PS Store keeps kicking me out, really annoying. I guess I won't be buying God Hand, Fear Effect 1 and 2 and PowerStone Collection afterall.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Metal gear special missions works if you transfer it via PS3 (or Vita download list, can't remember). Although it says it is PSP only, I have it on my UK account Vita.

edit: Which Tomb Raider would be the best choice? I only remember playing the first one on PSone but don't want to simply choose from nostalgia if one of the later games was noticably better.

These are all PSone classics for £1.99: Tomb Raider; TR2; TR3; TR - the last revelation; TR chronicles

This is a PSP game: tomb raider anniversary - £5

Meneses

Metal gear special missions works if you transfer it via PS3 (or Vita download list, can't remember). Although it says it is PSP only, I have it on my UK account Vita.

edit: Which Tomb Raider would be the best choice? I only remember playing the first one on PSone but don't want to simply choose from nostalgia if one of the later games was noticably better.

Tomb Raider 2 and The Last Revelation were my favorites.

Although the first one was amazing at the time and had great atmosphere, but I don't know how well it aged.

Grandia is 50hz right?
Amazing that we're not free of the 50hz curse in this day and age. Well, I made that US account for a reason.

SeaJ

Neo Member
Any reason to pick up the Zone of the Enders HD collection? The two individual games seem slightly cheaper.

Tizoc

Any reason to pick up the Zone of the Enders HD collection? The two individual games seem slightly cheaper.

ZoE 2 is the better game. ZoE 1 has frame rate issues, and is very short, such that it's more of a prequel than a full game.

SeaJ

Neo Member
ZoE 2 is the better game. ZoE 1 has frame rate issues, and is very short, such that it's more of a prequel than a full game.

Could have phrased my question a little better, I meant price wise. The HD collection is £6.65 (with PS+) and the games are £2.63 and £3.59 coming to £6.22. Is there a reason to pay another 43p aside from clicking fewer buttons when buying?

OMG buy Okami HD and ZOE HD collection!

The PS3 version of ZOE2 got the patch that fixes a lot of the slowdown/graphic issues that the 360 version never got.

Jay-T

I missed buying p3p in the last japan sale, I'll buy it now!

I haven't played a single game in over a month :(

Majmun

Bought:

Crash
Crash 2
Crash 3
Crash Team Racing
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Pandemonium 2
Tomb Raider III

for €16

And I will never play them. My 64GB Vita card is going to be happy, though

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
While I know that buying 50Hz only games is a deadly sin, I stumbled across these some time ago:
Crash Bandicoot Boss Speed comparison (PAL vs NTSC)
Crash Bandicoot 2 PSN test (50Hz or 60Hz)
Naughty Dog developer's story about the European versions
And I haven't found any concrete evidence that PAL Crash 2, 3 and Team Racing are on par with the US versions. But I think these actually look great, and they're not available to US Vita accounts.
I love these games but I'm not 100% sure about buying them yet, but it would be great if someone could confirm or deny that the rest are as optimized as Crash 1.

Honey Bunny

Grabbed crash team racing, silent hill, power stone collection and ridge racer type 4. Never played any of them before, fun times ahead.

Top Bottom