• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

ourumov

Netherlands forgot that to win a match you have to make goals...I don't agree with last change...That was the perfect moment for Kluivert.

Solid

icon_bravo.gif

Portugal rawks!

In your face Hooker! ;D

Falch

:(

Time for a new avatar.

Anyway, Dutch didn't play very well, Portugal won deservedly. They won't stand a chance against Czech Rep. though, but I think we all know that.

amrum

6_400.jpg

OH YEAAAAAAAAH ! PORTUGAL DID IT ! WE REACH THE FINAL !

15_353.982300884956.jpg

_40332815_ronaldo200_ap.jpg

Bye bye Dutch, you were not good enough tonight, it is still time to take the last flight to Holland ! :D

27_400.jpg

_40332909_maniche300_ap.jpg

Hooker

Hey, no hard feeling just because we eliminated Sweden :p (don't ask me how though)

The Portugese deserved it, fair and square. Yes, they had a home-referee. But even with this given fact we wouldn't be able to beat them. Sucks though :(

Portugal rocked, they were the better team, bah you could tell it was all pure luck that brought us this far, our current team is a joke and some players need to go.

CONGRATS to Scolari........great coach

-=DoAvl=-

ourumov said:
Netherlands forgot that to win a match you have to make goals...I don't agree with last change...That was the perfect moment for Kluivert.

Andrade was the one that reminded Netherlands about that... hehehe

Andrade: "Hey, you! Ola! Isto é como você joga!"

Figo is bloody insane though, everytime he got possesion, you knew something spectacular was about to happen! Go Figo!

norinrad21 said:
Portugal rocked, they were the better team, bah you could tell it was all pure luck that brought us this far, our current team is a joke and some players need to go.

CONGRATS to Scolari........great coach

Nepperd, eerst zeg je nog dat ze naar de finale gaan and suddenly the suck and need to go home.

eh eeerr geen tijd voor kinderachtige praatjes. We sucked and didn't deserve to go to the finals. Die kanker fluiter was ook mede verantwoordelijk. :)

kom op geef toe, we zuigen gewoon

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
greece were really gritty, they were all over croatia in the extra time, they had 3 clear cut chances before they scored.

rematch of opening game of Euro 2004.

Fowler

This is far too depressing. From the four semi-finalists, this is arguably the worst combination of the lot. We could have had Czech Republic - Portugal, and all the attacking possibilties therein. We could have had Czech Republic - Holland, a rematch of the finest game of the tournament. We could have had Greece - Holland, which would have been intriguing to see whether the gritty Greeks could shatter the mentally fragile Dutch or whether Holland's luck would run true. Instead, we get a rematch of a totally uninspiring match notable only because the hosts bumbled their way to defeat.

Kill me now.

Ill Saint

Man, that felt so anti-climactic... clinched at the last second.

Would have loved to see Czechs vs Portugal. Bleh.
Good on the Greeks though, they played with determination.

The Czechs have the same problem as Holland. you always know its over when there are no goals in the first 90 minutes.

Anyway this wasn't supposed to happen and i still have a hardtime believing it

JMPovoa

The Portugal from the 1st match is a huge contrast from the Portugal shown all the other games. They have the momentum now. I think the final will be very special.

Hooker

Man, I just got home and read the news.

I didn't even watch the game because I knew the Czechs would win. This shit is unbelievable

JMPovoa

They were completely outplayed in the extra time though. Greece attacked with all they had in that extra time and they got it.

Fowler said:
This is far too depressing. From the four semi-finalists, this is arguably the worst combination of the lot. We could have had Czech Republic - Portugal, and all the attacking possibilties therein. We could have had Czech Republic - Holland, a rematch of the finest game of the tournament. We could have had Greece - Holland, which would have been intriguing to see whether the gritty Greeks could shatter the mentally fragile Dutch or whether Holland's luck would run true. Instead, we get a rematch of a totally uninspiring match notable only because the hosts bumbled their way to defeat.

Kill me now.

Well at least Portugal now have one more motivation to win.....

Volt

It's amazing how Greece manages to get decent results (and even great ones) with basically the same tactics every time. They have a VERY strong defense, a couple of very talented and clever attacking midfielders, and a pretty fool proof team tactic. Sure, it wasn't the most interesting game to watch as a neutral spectator, but the Czechs had some very good opportunities and should've just used them..

It'll be interesting to see how Portugal goes into the Final now : the pressure is on their shoulders now, that's for sure ! Playing in front of their own crowd, and being considered the "better team".. They'll probably go for an all-out attack, but they'll need to score in the first 20-30 minutes, or they'll face the same fate as France and the Czechs..
Greece may actually win this now ! Incredible...

JMPovoa

The only team that was unpressured was the only team that completely made Greece look vulgar. That team was Russia. They attacked with all they had and they bagged Greece within minutes.

I don't think Portugal will have the balls to do that. They'll just play their own game and try and be concentraded throughout the whole game. They'll wait on their opportunity too.

Mr Gump

Banned
During the massive greek celebrations here, my friend go hit in the nose with a flare and as a result has large chunks of the skin on his nose taken off after the debris of the flare melted onto his skin.

Alucard

Banned
Fowler said:

Kill me now.

Agreed. I think that the tournament has just been handed to Portugal to be honest. There is nothing really special about the Greek's style and they sure as hell didn't deserve to win against the much more entertaining Czechs. Yeah, this IS depressing. I'll still be watching the final like a good sheep of course.

The way the final has turned out, I almost want to say this tournament is fixed. :-\

Brofist

Alucard said:
There is nothing really special about the Greek's style and they sure as hell didn't deserve to win against the much more entertaining Czechs.

Maybe new rules should be implemented to allow points for a teams entertainment value, so that goals aren't the determining factor in games. That sounds fair o_O

Alucard said:
The way the final has turned out, I almost want to say this tournament is fixed. :-\

That's just plain stupid. What, was it fixed that the Czechs would hit the crossbar, and have many goal chances stopped by some decent saves from the Greek keeper? Did the Greeks score on a penalty shot on a bad call? Actually the officiating has been praised in this tournament as some of the best ever, especially compared to Euro 96 and 2000.

ourumov

It's fun but from the Spain Group (A) there are two teams on the finals...I hope it wins greece. They do the most boring soccer I have ever seen (well Netherlands also deserves some prize) and it's incredible they are where they are but this proves how unfair the soccer universe can be.
Anyways, good luck "Misato Katsuragi" (I call this way Katsuranis) !

Alucard

Banned
kpop100 said:
Maybe new rules should be implemented to allow points for a teams entertainment value, so that goals aren't the determining factor in games. That sounds fair o_O

That's just plain stupid. What, was it fixed that the Czechs would hit the crossbar, and have many goal chances stopped by some decent saves from the Greek keeper? Did the Greeks score on a penalty shot on a bad call? Actually the officiating has been praised in this tournament as some of the best ever, especially compared to Euro 96 and 2000.

I'm just saying that from a fan's perspective, this is a pretty boring final. Greece isn't really the most exciting team in the world to watch. Portugal's got a lot of talent up front that will likely be stifled on more than one occassion by the rock that is the Greek defense.

As for the tourny being fixed, it was a half-hearted joke. I just think that the story is almost too perfect: Portugal vs. Greece round 2: REDEMPTION PORTUGAL.

Eh, maybe both teams will prove me wrong and provide an exciting final.

Indeed Greece definately deserve to be the final, they've have kept to their strategy the whole tournament and in most cases (ugh Russia) its works perfectly.

I hope they win the final I really do

Solid

Kiriku said:
Wow, Greece bored the Czechs to death, and then scored a goal. I feel sorry for the Czechs... :/
That's how they win every match! :(

I hope Portugal beats them. Seeing how Figo almost cried at the press conference of being so happy with being in the final was really breath taking. They deserves the gold. They've played great in every game except the first one.

Well im Portuguese but putting that aside i still think that Rui Costa and Figo at least deserve to win this, i dont like Couto but he is too from the golden generation of 91 who won the world cup sub-21, since then they never won anything at the portuguese team, they deserve this......

Fowler

Though it's par for the course to tip against the Greeks... I have to go with Portugal here. Greece defeating Portugal in the opening game was the best thing that could ever have happened to the hosts because it booted them into life. This is a different Portugal team, a more confident and settled team, and they've got serious momentum behind them even before you factor in the home crowd. They also know the Greeks, and are less likely to be surprised by their tenacity. And Portugal have the advantage of extra rest, because while their match was over in 90 minutes Greece played a day later AND played longer, so they'll probably be more tired.

Greece are also without Karagounis, who also missed the match against Russia...

COCKLES

being watched
Greece to win 2-1 and break the hosts heart.

I'm a total 50/50 on this one. I'll be happy whoever wins. But I've got a feeling teh Germanic tactics of the plate smashers will reign surpreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom