• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMPovoa

This time Portugal is Greece, and Greece is troy. Portugal will put a trojan horse inside their gigantic fortress and smash it to bits from the inside, hence a magnificent victory for Portugal.

SFA_AOK

A friend of mine got greece in a sweepstake where he works. I woud've been gutted when I pulled them out the hat and yet...

Acrylamid

lol
Have you seen his t-shirt? He has his own homepage and has done this before -> http://www.jimmyjump.com
mundodeportivo.jpg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
lol, went to the jimmy jump page and right when the music started is when the whistle blew, i was like "WTF!"

ourumov

That guy appeared on our local TV last week claiming he was going to do this... XD

It was fun. The flag was from F.C Barcelona and the weird hat is called "Barretina", a typical catalan hat.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
And I'm not even surprised. Greece managed to win, not just this game, but all the others, because of their tight defense. I think they also managed because they didn't have to control the game, they didn't have to take initiative. They merely just waited, defended, and counterattacked. With great discipline at that. It's strange that the only team Greece lost to was Russia...all the other teams have been big favorites...strange? Or maybe telling of how Greece play their games.

Haha, all the Porchops in Jersey (Newark, Elizabeth) were readying themselves for a fiesta if Portugal was to win. I even bet one of my Portuguese friends that Portugal would lose just because he's Portuguese (I wasn't even following any of the other games). I just pocketed myself 20 beans by pure luck. Now, isn't the winner of Euro 2004 suppose to face a Colombian team? I'm Colombian, and let's face facts. Greece will be destroyed. It's our sport.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
cja said:
Congratulations to Greece. The best team of Euro 2004 with the best defence and the best coach.

Have to agree. They proved that a good team can outmatch collections of stars.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
JMPovoa said:
This time Portugal is Greece, and Greece is troy. Portugal will put a trojan horse inside their gigantic fortress and smash it to bits from the inside, hence a magnificent victory for Portugal.

I was with Portugal but you are so OWNED. :lol

cja

Kiriku said:
Have to agree. They proved that a good team can outmatch collections of stars.
Greece were like Ali and his Rope-a-Dope fighting style. :) Let the opposition throw everything at you and then get a killer blow in later. It happened in every knockout game, France, Czechs then Portugal. All won 1-0, all headers, all from crosses, all from their right side, two of the three set-pieces.

Spectacular and inspiring performance by the greeks. Their tactics have been top notch all throughout the tournament and today they had a performance worthy of a champion.

HELLAS! HELLAS!

This was the first Euro cup that I have watched from start to finish, and rarely do I get to see this level of skill in futbol. (Mexican league is all right and all but....)

Anywho....Great cup (I would say better at times than the world cup)!

Congrats to Greece! You don't have to be a big team to beat the big teams.

Greekboy

Banned
Truly embarrassing for Portugal to lose two games at home to Greece. Congrats to Greece though. People say they might never win again but what have teams like Italy, England, Portugal or Spain ever won in recent decades?

Lisa Lashes said:
Truly embarrassing for Portugal to lose two games at home to Greece. Congrats to Greece though. People say they might never win again but what have teams like Italy, England, Portugal or Spain ever won in recent decades?
Italy won that thing in the 80's! You know! The thing!

Teams that have won the Euro Cup

1960 USSR
1964 Spain
1968 Italy
1972 Germany
1976 Czechoslovakia
1980 Germany
1984 France
1988 Holland
1992 Denmark
1996 Germany
2000 France
2004 Greece

It used to be be wierd how it was only 8 teams that took part (this changed in 1996) Also in the past a semi-final between Italy and the USSR was decided by a TOSS OF A COIN (Italy won the toss then won the tournament)

Greekboy

Banned
Italy won that thing in the 80's! You know! The thing!

Yes in 1982 and look how for even such a soccer power like Italy that they haven't won anything since. In today's game the parity level is such where it will be tough for one team like say Germany to ever dominate as they've done in the past.

COCKLES

being watched
Greeks deserved their win.

Great team that put to shame the big names of so many 'big teams' like England, itay an Portuagal.

Anyone who says thay didn't deserve it can fuck off. Look at the teams they beat...France, Portugal X2, Czech republic. nuff said.

Although Portgual didn't deserve to be in that postion if the Swiss ref in England vs Port hadn't caved in.

Greekboy

Banned
UEFA Euro 2004 All-Star Squad

Goalkeepers: Petr Cech - Czech Republic, Antonios Nikopolidis - Greece.

Defenders: Sol Campbell - England, Ashley Cole - England, Traianos Dellas - Greece, Olof Mellberg - Sweden, Ricardo Carvalho - Portugal, Georgios Seitaridis - Greece, Gianluca Zambrotta - Italy.

Midfielders: Michael Ballack - Germany, Luis Figo - Portugal, Frank Lampard - England, Maniche - Portugal, Pavel Nedved - Czech Republic, Theodoros Zagorakis - Greece, Zinedine Zidane - France.

Strikers: Milan Baros - Czech Republic, Angelos Charisteas - Greece, Henrik Larsson - Sweden, Cristiano Ronaldo - Portugal, Wayne Rooney - England, Jon Dahl Tomasson - Denmark, Ruud van Nistelrooy - Holland.

JMPovoa

Even now you're bitter COCKLES? Pffff.

Anyways, you're not going to beat Greece easily if you don't manage to get at least as many attackers in their penalty area as they have defenders.

Paulokj

I cant still believe that you guys say that the ref of England vs Portugal, fails in that decisition, every one sees that 2 guys in the Goal Keeper Area, push him down . Dont be blind, that game was fantastic, the two times shown a fantastic football, but Portugal in that game deserve to win.

in the final, what i can say that dont manner what the statics says, dont manner what time played better, because in the end what really matter is the team who score more goals. They are a defensive team , but they win , win all games by this way. Is unfair, i dont care, is their stile.
Im Portuguese, and im one of thousands of Portuguese who celebrate in streets because we did it. we dont won the tournment but we did the best euro cup ever.
But Now in Athens , Portugal nacional football team, can win the gold medal in Olympics.
Im proud to be Portuguese, to show my patriotism , with the 2 nacional flags in the windows. We are sad, but glad and proud.

cja

Lisa Lashes said:
UEFA Euro 2004 All-Star Squad

Goalkeepers: Petr Cech - Czech Republic, Antonios Nikopolidis - Greece.

Defenders: Sol Campbell - England, Ashley Cole - England, Traianos Dellas - Greece, Olof Mellberg - Sweden, Ricardo Carvalho - Portugal, Georgios Seitaridis - Greece, Gianluca Zambrotta - Italy.

Midfielders: Michael Ballack - Germany, Luis Figo - Portugal, Frank Lampard - England, Maniche - Portugal, Pavel Nedved - Czech Republic, Theodoros Zagorakis - Greece, Zinedine Zidane - France.

Strikers: Milan Baros - Czech Republic, Angelos Charisteas - Greece, Henrik Larsson - Sweden, Cristiano Ronaldo - Portugal, Wayne Rooney - England, Jon Dahl Tomasson - Denmark, Ruud van Nistelrooy - Holland.
For me the players unlucky not to be in that squad: Van Der Sar, G. Neville and Poborsky. Odd to see Ronaldo listed as a forward but so many teams played 4-5-1 UEFA may have been desperate for another name. :)

SFA_AOK

I find it funny how Greece defend and try for the sneaky goal == good play but when England defend hard, the Portugese deserved to win! ;)

As for the decision, I don't think everyone outside the UK thinks its not a goal but like I give a fuck, it's over and done with now.

Socreges

Banned
SFA_AOK said:
As for the decision, I don't think everyone outside the UK thinks its not a goal but like I give a fuck, it's over and done with now.
Yeah, you're probably right. I think Jim in Saskatchewan thought it was a goal. And Helguera in Peurto Rico. My mistake.

Hooker

The all-star team is a load of crap. Like cja already said, Van der Sar saved Holland multiple times in multiple games. He only had one weak moment which was against Germany. The best goal-keeper of the tournament!

Poborsky is another travesty. He was my man-of-the-match multiple times. Nedved gets too much credit. Don't agree on G. Neville though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom