• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Quick RAM related question using these numbers: Say about 2Gb of the GDDR5 is reserved for framebuffers on Orbis and the 32mb of eDRAM on Durango are using the same thing do we have any idea of how 1.5Gb of GDDR5 would work in a typical game setting as opposed to 5Gb of DDR3? We don't really know how GDDR5 would work like that, do we?

Orayn

So is the talk of these consoles being a "minor upgrade" finally being put to bed?

Depends on what you mean by "minor." There will be some diminishing returns in the sense that the most dramatic differences will be in the areas of framerate, resolution, and overall IQ. In terms of graphical bells and whistles, the improvements over DX9 and DX9-equivalent visuals on PS3/360 won't be nearly as large since there's no revolutionary change in hardware like programmable shaders.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Its MS's way. They use esram or edram to offset just like the 360. We will see. Since there haven't been an overflow of complaints...I would assume for now no one is being bothered by it.

So it seems like we are going to end up the same we have this generation then, developers are going to end up having problems with Orbis because like the PS3 and 360 they will just port over from Durango which while slower will have the memory size advantage, and not really take advantage of the speed behind Orbis?

I'm not looking forward to next-gen elder scrolls problems like Skyrim have had on Orbis if this is where we end up heading again.

To be honest, these aren't monster specs.

The GDDR5 is a pleasant surprise, though.

Well, only fools expected monster specs. We know these machines have to ship around a $400 price point.

Still, I got the feeling for the past year there were some PC folks hoping to shit all over these console specs when they were announced.

Depends on what you mean by "minor." There will be some diminishing returns in the sense that the most dramatic differences will be in the areas of framerate, resolution, and overall IQ. In terms of graphical bells and whistles, the leap from DX9 and DX9-equivalent visuals on PS3/360 won't be nearly as large as the previous generation since there's no revolutionary change like programmable shaders.

So you're suggesting we're going to see a lot of games running at 60fps next gen? I've seen it said a thousand times before. ;)

maybe durango uses 2gb of memory to cache ads so they load instantly in all situations.

lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I see that the PS3's XDR memory was much faster than the 360's GDDR3, but that really didn't help ports at all. Someone explain to me why would a similar situation next-gen would be any different.

A lot of games didn't do very well with PS3's split memory. The GPU didn't get that much out of XDR's bandwidth, at least not without a fair bit of juggling relative to the situation on 360.

Spongebob

Banned
Even with this conservatively specced console I still think Sony will launch with a $399 price tag to be profitable on day 1.

So if 0 is Wii > 360, and 10 is PS2 > Xbox, where does it look like the Wii U is sitting on that scale in terms of an estimated gap?

4-6 IMO.

x3sphere

So whats the odds of a fully software emulated PS2 shipping within the PS4? Or is Sony going to screw everyone and put PS2 games on the store only.

No reason Sony can't emulate the PS2 fully on the rumored specs, but I don't think they'll be that generous. My bet is you'll have to buy the PS2 classics from the store. Hopefully they'll take advantage of the extra GPU power and render the games at 1080p.

x-Lundz-x

I don't know what you guys are so excited about. We are only beginning to see what the current gen is capable of. I think 2018 is a good time to release next gen consoles.

derFeef

Orbis sounds very focused on gaming, should be a sweet box.
Durango sounds like I have no idea, huge ram, possible better CPU?

I'm sorry, what is this Steam box you speak of?

I think you can play Peggle on it, but only if you install Windows 7. Windows 8 is not supported on a hardware level.

Acidote

And MS's key theme? :)

ibfe0xzF8w06en.gif

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So thing that concerns me most is Microsoft using slow RAM and reserving 3GB of it for the OS. Couple that with the fact that the Durango has 2 CPU cores reserved for 'apps' running concurrently with games, it seems like Microsoft might be losing it's game focus.

The Microsoft that's finishing this generation isn't the same that started it imo.

Can anyone speculate whether these are pretty much final specs? We won't see these paired down when they start production on commercial units will we?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Quick RAM related question using these numbers: Say about 2Gb of the GDDR5 is reserved for framebuffers on Orbis and the 32mb of eDRAM on Durango are using the same thing

That doesn't really make sense.

No game is going to use that much memory for framebuffers. But if a game needs to have x amount of memory for buffers on Orbis it'll need x amount of memory on Durango too - but 32MB of those buffers being worked on currently will reside in eDRAM.

Draft

512 MB vs. 3 GB for the OS makes it sound like Orbis is a game machine and Duragno is this thing that turns your living room into an entertainment hub which means Orbis >>> Durango.

No reason Sony can't emulate the PS2 fully on the rumored specs, but I don't think they'll be that generous. My bet is you'll have to buy the PS2 classics from the store. Hopefully they'll take advantage of the extra GPU power and render the games at 1080p.

When it comes to backwards compatibility, SONY didn't spend hundreds of millions of dollars on Dave Perry's Gaikai streaming service for nothing you know...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I see that the PS3's XDR memory was much faster than the 360's GDDR3, but that really didn't help ports at all. Someone explain to me why would a similar situation next-gen would be any different.
I don't think it was much faster at all (25 vs 22 iirc) but it was split in two pool each with its own bandwidth. But the pools were smaller which made things more difficult to work with. GDDR5 vs DDR3 is I think 3x speed difference, and it's a single pool now, so no drawbacks other than total memory size of course.

And as for the total memory, I have to question honestly what 8GB of memory could even be used for in a single game environment machine, now when every engine does everything through streaming. It wouldn't surprise me if MS really dedicates 2-3GB to OS because they probably wouldn't be able to help much with running game anyway.

Randdalf

512 MB vs. 3 GB for the OS makes it sound like Orbis is a game machine and Duragno is this thing that turns your living room into an entertainment hub which means Orbis >>> Durango.

Yeah but it will probably mean the opposite sales wise, unfortunately.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
How about a 660 ti?

should be a similar situation to running xbox 360 release titles on an 8800gt.

edit: ignore this. looking at numbers i forgot what a monster cards the 8800 serious were for their time. i doubt we'll ever see a generational leap like that again.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
But:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3610QM CPU 2.3GHz Graphics Core: AMD Radeon 7970M with 2GB GDDR5
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
Storage: Samsung 64GB SSD (mSATA) and Seagate 500GB HDD

The rest of that laptop is quite powerfull too, with lots of dedicated gddr5 also.

The bottle neck is the data the CPU sees in DDR3 (~20GB/s) talking to the GPU via PCIe at 16GB/s.

With both platforms being fairly "off the shelf" in nature, I hope that means PC ports are almost a given and a lot better than what we've grown used to.

Sort of ironic that PC gaming looks to have the brightest future, the more we find out about these consoles.

Sony aren't messing about. This is a powerhouse.
Strange because I get the feeling neither are going to be a step up if power is your thing and you game on a good pc already.

I think people will see what they want to see but these seem modest machines with a sensible balance of power and power usage with its associated heat for such small units.

I suspect it'll come down to software as to whether I will get either.

With such a big OS the speed will likely be felt even more so on 720 right?
I mean its not just going to remove RAM from the gaming equation.

Not sure why people are making out like these seem evenly matched or very similar infrastructures.

Derrick01

Banned
Strange because I get the feeling neither are going to be a step up if power is your thing and you game on a good pc already.

I think people will see what they want to see but these seem modest machines with a sensible balance of power and power usage with its associated heat for such small units.

I suspect it'll come down to software as to whether I will get either.

It will be a step up because people with 680s right now are still playing console ports of games that are made on 2005 consoles. Now they'll actually get to utilize those 680s and likely have to upgrade in the first year or two.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Jaguar is fine, but Sony should have went with 4 more powerful cores instead. Devs are so lazy they probably would have optimized their games for the lowest denominator and then Orbis would be the console with the inferior ports (at least for some time until devs take full advantage of 8 cores).

In a more focused closed environment like consoles, this won't be the issue though. You can offload different tasks to the cores. And both of these platforms are far more user friendly than say, CELL.

You are underestimating what these new platforms can do.

Top Bottom