• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

kitsuneyo

The only thing that sounds pricey in Orbis is the 4GB of GDDR5. The GPU sounds very modest and the CPU cores are derived from notebook jaguar cores. Nothing super pricey about that to be honest.

Good to know, that was just the impression the article gave me.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It´s won´t be enough 3 years from now when the new big thing comes up. Very dumb decision.
Major changes to the OS halfway in the console's lifecycle is unlikely. We also have to take into account that they will be optimizing it with each firmware update so maybe they'll find a way to fit it in. I would be happy with 1GB GDDR5 reserved for the OS, but that really sounds like a waste due to how expensive the memory is. For basic functionalities 512MB is enough in my opinion.

maverick40

Kc2nL.gif

Going to read now but I'm ready for another Next Gen Console. I'm definitely enjoying my Wii U but honestly it's time for new HW out of all 3 companies! The sooner the better!

Orayn

Not really. The specs for orbis puts it at around 5x Wii U. The specs for Durango put it around 3-4x Wii U. Both are significantly smaller gaps than PS360 vs Wii.

Apart from that, Wii U having a modern GPU means that it won't have the kinds of crippling compatibility issues the Wii did. It's still a bad situation for Nintendo, mind you, just not as bad.

So,

PS4 = a pricey powerhouse
Durango = a balanced machine but probably with Kinect, Windows 8 and a ton of ads shoved in your face

If it turns out this way I'll go with PS4, if I've got the cash.

PS4 specs aren't pricey at all. It's incredibly well-balanced if they can get decent yields on GDDR5. I'd expect it to retail for around $300-350 for the low end version if true (possibly could cost more if the touch screen controller rumor is true).

Spongebob

Banned
What about Piledriver, though? Wasn't it a possibility that Orbis would use one of those?

Depends on what wacky, non-video-game stuff Microsoft plans to do with that absurd pile of RAM.

Sweetvar said both MS and Sony are using jaguar cores I don't believe that to be the case.

Karak

PS4 specs aren't pricey at all. It's incredibly well-balanced if they can get decent yields on GDDR5. I'd expect it to retail for around $300-350 for the low end version if true (possibly could cost more if the touch screen controller rumor is true).

Correct. The ONLY thing that GDDR5 or something that specs adds or points towards an issue is if they have yield issues.

KKRT00

From my calculations 4 core i5 2500k in 3.3ghz is 40% faster than 8 core jaguar in Orbis.
Its still decent upgrade from last gen and forcing devs to write for 8 cores will only help PC to achieve greater framerates in their 8 cores/threads high frequency CPUs.

So thing that concerns me most is Microsoft using slow RAM and reserving 3GB of it for the OS. Couple that with the fact that the Durango has 2 CPU cores reserved for 'apps' running concurrently with games, it seems like Microsoft might be losing it's game focus.

Anyone else remember when 360 was announced MS completely shut out the idea of having a keyboard peripheral because they wanted to ensure the focus of the system as a gaming platform? That made me really happy. Seems like with kinect, and Netflix, and The industries boner for mobile gaming, and the newly released specs, MS is going all in for the casual crowd.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I just want people to look at the bigger picture. Both of these machines will be very capable and on the whole, evenly matched.

Ports between the two machines should be very easy compared to the early (and even latter) days of PS3 and 360 so that's good news for developers. I wonder if there was actually a lot of pressure from third parties about making a lot of stuff similar.

Zomba13

Feels weird there being a big jump in hardware coming soon. Next gen is already here with the Wii U but obviously not in the same league as the new stuff from Sony and MS.
Super excited to see the new consoles this year but dunno if I'd be getting one at launch. Depends on the price and how much money I have left over after getting an Oculus Rift and a high end graphics card.

And I am standing behind my source unless the UNIVERSE broke. And standing by the 1:1.5 for MS's OS. I would even be ok with 2 CPU's for the OS. But that is straight up overkill for what they have planned so far.

Oh I see. I will say one thing. I can't speak for others but there is some very real danger for some of these guys if they are NOT 2-3 steps removed from a company like some of us.

But yes teasing for teasing sake can get tiring. I can understand that.

I don't want anybody to risk his job because it is certainly not worth it but all the *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* doesn't help the discussion either since you have constantly people asking about those hints and comparing posts. Also where is the difference in confirming a rumour or just posting what you know? I doubt that a NDA will make much difference.

On topic:

Rather "old" affordable technology - so why the late launch? Hopefully for a better launch price and just because both waited until the end for Steamroller.

Orayn

My question is, why does Wii U need 1GB for its slow-ass OS when PS4 needs only 512MB?

It doesn't really need it, that's the thing. Nintendo hedged their bets and reserved extra just in case, but they'll likely open up more to games like they did with the 3DS.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sonys big problem with the price last gen was the Bluray drive so hopefully they price competitively or they will be sunk. This is ps3 vs. 360 all over again, some say Orbis is significantly faster, others say they're equal, so on so forth.

So thing that concerns me most is Microsoft using slow RAM and reserving 3GB of it for the OS. Couple that with the fact that the Durango has 2 CPU cores reserved for 'apps' running concurrently with games, it seems like Microsoft might be losing it's game focus.

Anyone else remember when 360 was announced MS completely shut out the idea of having a keyboard peripheral because they wanted to ensure the focus of the system as a gaming platform? That made me really happy. Seems like with kinect, and Netflix, and The industries boner for mobile gaming, and the newly released specs, MS is going all in for the casual crowd.

I remember, but that was also over 10 years ago. The market has changed immensely since then.

Karak

I don't want anybody to risk his job because it is certainly not worth it but all the *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge* doesn't help the discussion either since you have constantly people asking about those hints and comparing posts. Also where is the difference in confirming a rumour or just posting what you know? I doubt that a NDA will make much difference.

I don't know about others. But that's why I stand firmly behind what I have at any time.
I can't speak for others.

Back on topic:
it is going to be interesting to see how MS handles their overall memory configuration though.

My question is, why does Wii U need 1GB for its slow-ass OS when PS4 needs only 512MB?

Ports between the two machines should be very easy compared to the early (and even latter) days of PS3 and 360 so that's good news for developers. I wonder if there was actually a lot of pressure from third parties about making a lot of stuff similar.

Very likely, and Sony would definitely want that to be the case too.

Because Nintendo doesn't understand the word Optimization.

Also, this is the most "advanced" OS they've done so far.

It's not that Durango needs 3GB for the OS when it launches, it's just that MS want to reserve that much for future upgrades to the system over time.

If they set this amount as law to begin with, it will ensure all games will run on the system, now and in the future.

lherre

Accurate

Absolutely correct. One of the key themes for sony is excellent price/performance.

Lack of optimization. Sony had experience with OS development even prior to the PS3 due to their other divisions(specifically mobile). Nintendo had no such experience. Things will get better as they learn. At some point, RAM usage will probably be cut down significantly.

kitsuneyo

It doesn't really need it, that's the thing. Nintendo hedged their bets and reserved extra just in case, but they'll likely open up more to games like they did with the 3DS.

I thought the 3DS had a shader unlocked (or something). Same principle I suppose.

Karak

My life would be complete if we can get picture-in-picture video chat and the ability to stream it on UStream directly. Complete!!

Add an MP version of Freelancer or Freespace and have me able to talk to my wingman as we destroy a massive frigate...that would be awesome.
Would still only take like .5 gigs hahahahaha

jett

D-Member
I see that the PS3's XDR memory was much faster than the 360's GDDR3, but that really didn't help ports at all. Someone explain to me why would a similar situation next-gen would be any different.

Top Bottom