• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

Orayn

Can someone write something on "additional task-specific hardware" part?

In lame man therms, wtf is it?

Chip for doing miscellaneous stuff while preserving power in crucial areas. Sounds like they might use it for physics and other "grunt work" without taking away resources from the CPU or GPU.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yes, they really should be able to. They don't have to worry about the overhead like a desktop PC. There are a ton of factors to think about than just the typical RAM, CPU, GPU configurations in a PC.

You will see Stars Wars 1313 and Watch Dogs at launch (or shortly thereafter). Expect Agni's Philosophy visuals not long after.

My money just shot out of my wallet.

Interested in seeing what the heck the next xbox OS is doing with all that RAM.

Most things I could do on a console while in game like quickly browse the web or watch youtube to show me how to get past a level or something I would do on my phone / tablet.

Maybe people will be able to video capture and stream gameplay from the console?

Still it seems like for the next xbox MS is making it the Microsoft set top box first and a games console second. Sony is going the other way around. Both ideas have problems.

Karak

Today, tomorrow with new rumors it's Durango. Then after that it's PS4 again...

Agreed.

As for your question about other hardware. A hardware maker might add a bit of silicon to either make up for a deficiency in their current GPU/CPU setup or to add power to it.

Stretching logic you can pretend that Esram is like that. It makes up for some issues revolving around ram.
That's not the same thing but its easier to get an idea.
Might be something to assist calculations like the Physics chips in PC's the last couple years, an Audio DSP(big boost here).

The Durango thread has a ton of ideas as it was the one that had the additional chips and rumors beforehand.

Interested in seeing what the heck the next xbox OS is doing with all that RAM.

Most things I could do on a console while in game like quickly browse the web or watch youtube to show me how to get past a level or something I would do on my phone / tablet.

Maybe people will be able to video capture and stream gameplay from the console?
Honestly NOTHING NOTHING they could not do with 1.5 to 2. It is not even logical even with a very very large kinect database and assist software.

Even a recording system AND a transcoder to move video to external devices you can squeeze that into .5.

Undertaker_and_kane_ring.jpg

I think Kane should do some Cardio.

PaulLFC

Excellent stuff. So, rumours so far:

Orbis
- CPU: 8-core Jaguar @ 1.6GHz
- GPU: ~ Radeon 7970M in power, 18 compute units @ 800MHz (I'd seen 8830-8850 rumoured but also comments that those - were fake)
- Memory: 4GB GDDR5 @ 192GB/s bandwidth - 512MB reserved for OS -> 3.5GB for games
- Extra: "Compute module"

Durango
- GPU: ~ ? in power (DF says potentially weaker than Orbis), 12 compute units
- Memory: 8GB DDR3 @ 68GB/s bandwidth - 3GB reserved for OS (rumoured it may be down to 1-1.5GB though) -> 5-7GB for games
- Extra: "ESRAM" (small amount of faster RAM, 102GB/s bandwidth), other custom chips

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I don't understand why is DF making mobile cpu and mobile gpu derivatives sound like a good thing. Sounds underpowered to me.

because they aren't living in a hazy fanboy insanity where they believe that dragster PC parts can be shrunk down in to smart ed boxes.

Dev's are going to hate the work they will have to put into getting 8 cores working efficiently, and they will have to really know what they're doing, given how relatively poorly the AMD x86 architecture performs.

Anyway you cut it, 1.6Ghz is slow, I bet the dev's would have far preferred 4 cores @ 3Ghz.

AzaK

Ah okay yeah that's fucked up and a waste.
Thought they meant orbis-OS.

Durango could be slower with comparable RAM and a heavy OS.
Pretty much what 2000 MS would release, it all seems odd.

Probably not a waste if it's doing all the DVR shit and having an essentially fully blown OS in there too. And of course it may be a Nintendo type of deal where they're being conservative.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So these systems are powerful, as we all thought they would be.

Now, let's get to the important stuff like any possible anti-used game technology or a requirement of always-on internet connection.

Orayn

I wouldn't expect Agni's Philosophies visuals per se. It's like the FFVIII dance demo for PS2 or the Link vs. Ganondorf demo on Gamecube: It'll wind up looking better than the actual games in some respects, but worse in others.

androvsky

In lame man therms, wtf is it?

Normally, it's stuff like the video decoding section of modern GPUs. Basically chips that can only really do one thing, like decode h264 video, or decompress a zip file. But they do it fast without tying up other resources or generating much heat.

However, there's a fair amount of "secret sauce" in Orbis and we can disclose details on one of the more interesting additions. Paired up with the eight AMD cores, we find a bespoke GPU-like "Compute" module, designed to ease the burden on certain operations - physics calculations are a good example of traditional CPU work that are often hived off to GPU cores. We're assured that this is bespoke hardware that is not a part of the main graphics pipeline but we remain rather mystified by its standalone inclusion, bearing in mind Compute functions could be run off the main graphics cores and that devs could have the option to utilise that power for additional graphical grunt, if they so chose.

Hmm, does Sony happen to have a GPU-like "Compute" module that AMD doesn't, one that's good at physics calculations and playing PS3 games? ;)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

We only have Eurogamer's description to go by. One of the pieces of hardware is 'GPU-like "Compute" module, designed to ease the burden on certain operations' - so I guess some slice of computational logic, probably for stuff that maybe the CPU isn't brilliant at, and that they don't want to have to force you to bother the GPU with?

It's sort of strange though. I'm expecting a strong focus on GPGPU so having another piece of silicon to learn about or whatever is a little odd. I guess we'll find out the rationale in time.

Maybe it is VERY task specific and VERY transparent, behind very fixed APIs. Maybe it houses a collection of the stuff we heard about before - audio, media, decompression etc. - rather than being a more programmable computational unit. We'll see I guess.

Dev's are going to hate the work they will have to put into getting 8 cores working efficiently, and they will have to know what they're doing given how relatively poorly the AMD x86 architecture performs.

Anyway you cut it, 1.6Ghz is slow, I bet the dev's would have far preferred 4 cores @ 3Ghz.

Not really. More cores at a lower rate is actually better for floating point calculations since FP calculations take so many clock cycles, it's better to do the calcs in parallel as opposed to synchronous at a higher clock rate.

AzaK

Orbis
- GPU: ~ Radeon 7970M in power, 18 compute units (I'd seen 8830-8850 rumoured but also comments that those - were fake)
- Memory: 4GB GDDR5 @ 192GB/s bandwidth - 512MB reserved for OS -> 3.5GB for games
chips

GULP! What's Wii U, 12.8? Of course the question needs to be asked if the machine could actually utilise that much worth of data?

Spongebob

Banned

Orbis
- GPU: ~ Radeon 7970M in power, 18 compute units @ 800MHz (I'd seen 8830-8850 rumoured but also comments that those - were fake)

Durango
- Memory: 8GB DDR3 @ 68GB/s bandwidth - 3GB reserved for OS (rumoured it may be down to 1-1.5GB though) -> 5-7GB for games
- Extra: "ESRAM" (small amount of faster RAM, 102GB/s bandwidth), other custom chips

This is a pretty good summary of all that we have heard. With Durango FLOP measurements won't be as important because of those assistive blocks.

GULP! What's Wii U, 12.8? Of course the question needs to be asked if the machine could actually utilise that much worth of data?

Absolutely.

meta4

The most significant thing in the article .and this is pretty much a lock down based on what has been happening the last few years this gen.

There'll be a relatively high CPU overhead too, with potentially two cores reserved for the customisable apps Microsoft wants to run in parallel with gameplay. Orbis has no such ambitions and may power past the new Xbox simply because it focuses its resources on out-and-out games power. There's always the possibility that Microsoft has looked at the prior success of Nintendo and its own Kinect and come to the conclusion that chasing after the maximum in raw horsepower isn't the way to win the next console war

I am happy that Sony is doing this but scared of how much it will affect their casual audience with this decision.

Urgh, PS4 specs sound... OK. I hope the extra stuff is nice.
Not sure about Durango, I want to know what GPU it is using before making a judgment.

Karak

windows rt 2014.

the frontend isn't there to access the box, the box is there to access the frontend.

Bravo. At 3 gigs it would have to be:)
Game within your game. Play GTA 5 sit down and then play GTA4 and record it while baking a cake on the CPU:)

Urgh, PS4 specs sound... OK. I hope the extra stuff is nice.
Not sure about Durango, I want to know what GPU it is using before making a judgment.
Since we haven't had a single dev bitching about it. And MS was pushing some serious quotations in their kits and the expected overall power I am assuming its at least a audio DSP(very worthwhile) and something assisting overall calculations. I don't believe that the esram is 1 of them though.

I'm not the smartest, or most informed, but Durango design seems like a juiced up Wii U.

Will this design architecture similarity help Wii U and hurt Orbis?

I don't think it will hurt Orbis, provided it sells at a decent clip. The incentive will be there for developers if it emulates PS3's slow burn success. I do think the rather claustrophobic launch has the ability to hurt one of the two though, especially if Nintendo gets its act together.

Wii U ports of *most* games won't be implausible at all. Some are still convinced that it's a Wii situation, but on a technical level it really, really isn't. Not even close. That's not to say publishers will find reason to bother, but the gap is closer to PS2 > Xbox than Wii > 360. It's a bigger gap than the former, but nothing like the impassable chasm Nintendo foisted upon the industry with Wii. It will really depend on how the market pans out.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dev's are going to hate the work they will have to put into getting 8 cores working efficiently, and they will have to really know what they're doing, given how relatively poorly the AMD x86 architecture performs.

Agreed. Will force people to parse out their single threaded stuff more, as much as they can. I guess thems the breaks.

I guess the 720 will become more powerfull with each year - certainly those 3GB will decrease to 1GB at a certain point and maybe the cores for the OS can be used after all like with the PS3 and the obstacles at launch.

I personally think both consoles are going to do really well and I am even more curious about controllers, special sauce, etc.

What annoys me here is that certain insiders already start posting what is right and wrong and hinting why X is better than Y instead of for once time just posting what they know BEFORE a leak. Captain Hindsight sends his regards...

Orbis

Durango

This should go in OP. Fine summary you got there.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Rumors starting to add up now. Looks like thuway was right about the ram. Really glad to hear the 4GB of GDDR5 is probably true, thats pretty big. Im slightly disappointed the gpu is not based on the 8xxx series cards but who knows how customized this thing is.

lherre

Accurate

Orbis

Durango

Some things here aren't accurate at all but I won't say which ones :p

Not really. More cores at a lower rate is actually better for floating point calculations since FP calculations take so many clock cycles, it's better to do the calcs in parallel as opposed to synchronous at a higher clock rate.

true, but the more cores you use, the less efficient it becomes overall, by the time you are using the 6,7 or 8th core it's probably down to 50% or less efficiency.

Orbis

Durango
pretty sure that covers all the reliable info we have, good stuff. Until someone says something otherwise, it's all we have to go on, LHERRE.

This is the most PC like architecture delivered since the OG Xbox. So, 1:1.3? :O

Look, what I'm saying is, if you put these specs into a desktop PC, with Windows 7 and all the other crap, you'd very much get a different gaming experience than we can get on these consoles.

Karak

What annoys me here is that certain insiders already start posting what is right and wrong and hinting why X is better than Y instead of for once time just posting what they know BEFORE a leak. Captain Hindsight sends his regards...

Looking through this I haven't seen anyone do that?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Rumors starting to add up now. Looks like thuway was right about the ram. Really glad to hear the 4GB of GDDR5 is probably true, thats pretty big. Im slightly disappointed the gpu is not based on the 8xxx series cards but who knows how customized this thing is.

the rumours were for the 8800 series, which could still technically be correct given that we're talking about mobility parts.

Top Bottom