• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer\DF] Orbis Unmasked: what to expect from the next-gen PlayStation.

I don't know anything about Orbis' secret sauce, other than I'd heard it was pretty straight forward overall. As for Durango, I have never wished I was software engineer as much as I have this week.

Haha I have no idea how to interpret this. Are you saying that the Durango is using a flux capacitor.

Damn this is fun times. This E3 is going to be madness

Darryl

Banned
I don't think it will look better than GOW3, Gears, Halo 4, Uncharted. I think Nintendo will be able to reach a level incrementally better than the best after several years of development on the system but I don't think it will ever be able to blow past even the standouts on the PS3/360. Of course just my opinion

what nintendo franchise are you expecting to look like gears of war, out of curiosity

JordanN

Banned
I don't think it will look better than GOW3, Gears, Halo 4, Uncharted. I think Nintendo will be able to reach a level incrementally better than the best after several years of development on the system but I don't think it will ever be able to blow past even the standouts on the PS3/360. Of course just my opinion
Interesting. Just one more thing. Do you think the above will hold true in 20 years from now and do you think there will be any developers (who are not NaughtyDog,Epic,343) who can surpass those games?

I think that if Nintendo really commit to it, Zelda will look very special when compared.

Question: Orbis's 512mb for OS. is that referring to the background features while ingame, or is it referring to wha the OS can use as a whole? IIRC the Vita OS uses a reduced version of its main OS with less RAM while ingame, so I imagine Sony would use a similar system here

The redesign was pretty straightforward, again, from my understanding. With regards to any sort of leaks, I've already said elsewhere that we would rather be right, and more importantly for our audience, provide proper context and explanations, than just blast info out there that a) we haven't 100 percent confirmed and b) we don't understand.

As much as I want to read that article, you guys are making the right choice.

gaming_noob

i was just joking on how nintendo fans went all nuts for an average tech demo of zelda, but when they started seeing what the machine was actually doing it was all about the gamepad instead.

IMO God of War III already looks better than that Zelda WiiU tech demo. It's going to be a tough road ahead for Nintendo.

Iacobellis

The redesign was pretty straightforward, again, from my understanding. With regards to any sort of leaks, I've already said elsewhere that we would rather be right, and more importantly for our audience, provide proper context and explanations, than just blast info out there that a) we haven't 100 percent confirmed and b) we don't understand.

Doesn't 8GB seem like a kind of arbitrary number for a high profile engine developer to publicly demand?

Why would it be? Most mid-range computers ship with 8GB nowadays.

Iacobellis

Question: Orbis's 512mb for OS. is that referring to the background features while ingame, or is it referring to wha the OS can use as a whole? IIRC the Vita OS uses a reduced version of its main OS with less RAM while ingame, so I imagine Sony would use a similar system here

I think Sony learned their lesson with the PS3. The Vita wipes that on the floor in terms of usability in-game. And that is with a measly 512MB of RAM.

I don't know anything about Orbis' secret sauce, other than I'd heard it was pretty straight forward overall. As for Durango, I have never wished I was software engineer as much as I have this week.

Software huh, nice hint.

I was told 1:1.5 AFTER those.

But that was officially announced recently. I also remember that your source was excited about partnerships and maybe this is one of those. Just because it was confirmed to you after doesn't mean that the information was up to date. I admit that I know nothing about home automation system, but it does look like something that needs to be on at all times and with completely dedicated resources.

i-Lo

With article speculating that the power consumption will be around 150W, can't Sony just up the clock speed of CPU or/and GPU?

Darryl

Banned
He didn't say look like.

well he said it wouldn't look better - which somehow implies that they're in some way measurable in a competitive aspect at all. how does one compare gears of war to anything nintendo does, i just don't know. they're completely different beasts chasing different results.

Kind of off topic, but do we know the Wii U's specs in depth yet? Do we even know if it has DDR3 ram, what type of GPU exactly, etc?

2GB DDR3 (with 1 being currently occupied by OS), GPU no idea. people assume it's comparable to a 4870 i believe.

Iacobellis

Kind of off topic, but do we know the Wii U's specs in depth yet? Do we even know if it has DDR3 ram, what type of GPU exactly, etc?

It's slow and the OS is not helping either. I hate to be a dick but I cannot see why Nintendo wanted a head start. They aren't in direct competition with Sony or Microsoft, it doesn't make much sense.

Interesting. Just one more thing. Do you think the above will hold true in 20 years from now and do you think there will be any developers (who are not NaughtyDog,Epic,343) who can surpass those games?

I think if the Wii U was comparable to Orbis and Durango that Retro and Nintendo EAD could put out software that would be at the very height of graphical capability and excellence.

well he said it wouldn't look better - which somehow implies that they're in some way measurable in a competitive aspect at all. how does one compare gears of war to anything nintendo does, i just don't know. they're completely different beasts chasing different results.

If your jaw drops and your eyes glitter with glee than they accomplished their job. I was super excited about the Zelda Tech demo but I never thought it looked better than what the current systems were outputting.

Spongebob

Banned

2GB DDR3-1600 12.8GB/s, 156mm^2 GPU die (includes eDRAM on die, likely on 40nm). We also know that when playing games the Wii U consumes about 33W of power.

IrishNinja

Surface Pro has 4GB RAM total and that's pretty much a full W8 install so 3GB sounds sensible when you add in kinect, browsers and any other crap thats going on.

yeah...i was thinking sony'd be making compromises somewhere (3D? move? etc) but hopefully not, because none of that up there sounds essential to a gamebox, for me. likewise with the WU, i don't get the amount set for the OS from a company that used to prioritize the system just playing games

aegies

RE: Durango : Why not just put in a better GPU instead of designing all this custom silicon?

Neither console is a PC. They're not using dedicated CPUs or GPUs. Ignoring that they're both using APUs, their processing and graphics elements would already have certain customizations made specifically for gaming, rather than the broader brute force approach a desktop, and even a laptop would take. Custom hardware is about eliminating stuff that isn't efficient for games to make room for things that could be, or to lower cost.

Long story short: custom hardware is present to make a better GPU. They're not picking parts off a shelf.

Jonsoncao

Banned
lena.jpg

AndyH is using Lena as his avatar, which makes his post even more trustworthy, lol.

2GB DDR3-1600 12.8GB/s, 156mm^2 GPU die (includes eDRAM on die likely on 40nm). We also know that when playing games the Wii U consumes about 33W of power.

Damn...I like my Wii U, but I just feel bad for the thing when I look at the different specs for all 3.

Ah well.

Karak

probably will reserve 1.5 and try to use 1. after a bit if it works out for them they will make the 1gb permanent and allow games the rest

3gb just doesn't seem right. ...

Or for some strange reason they are running a ramdisk...or something hahahaha.

I sincerely doubt the forum will be usable during the E3 conferences, hah.

No one needs a source for this prediction sir. 100% right.

JordanN

Banned
I think if the Wii U was comparable to Orbis and Durango that Retro and Nintendo EAD could put out software that would be at the very height of graphical capability and excellence.
So are you saying only Orbis and Durango can surpass the best of PS3/360?

(Your post didn't leave much headroom so I'm interpreting what I'm seeing)

Proxy

Neither console is a PC. They're not using dedicated CPUs or GPUs. Ignoring that they're both using APUs, their processing and graphics elements would already have certain customizations made specifically for gaming, rather than the broader brute force approach a desktop, and even a laptop would take. Custom hardware is about eliminating stuff that isn't efficient for games to make room for things that could be, or to lower cost.

Long story short: custom hardware is present to make a better GPU. They're not picking parts off a shelf.

Right, I understand that. It's just, I can't see any amount of supplementary hardware going to make a 1.2 tf GPU punch 2+ tf or whatever some of the more outrageous claims are.

I truly believe GAF will die when these consoles get unveiled.

Never!!! We will be here nit-picking them to death, while Evilore laughs on the corner and bishoptl gets it's hands full of sacrificial blood from juniors and members alike that crack under the pressure.

It will be glorious.

Karak

Right, I understand that. It's just, I can't see any amount of supplementary hardware going to make a 1.2 tf GPU punch 2+ tf or whatever some of the more outrageous claims are.

Those are outrageous. But custom stuff can easily eat up a% of the already very basic measurement of Tflops. Eat up enough to cover the distance?
Depends.

VanWinkle

Never!!! We will be here nit-picking them to death, while Evilore laughs on the corner and bishoptl gets it's hands full of sacrificial blood from juniors and members alike that crack under the pressure.

It will be glorious.

We would but the GAF site will literally die from all of the arguing and console wars.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Those are outrageous. But custom stuff can easily eat up a% of the already very basic measurement of Tflops. Eat up enough to cover the distance?
Depends.

what about the eurogamer orbis secret sauce in addition to the known specs?
insignificant difference?

Top Bottom