• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Hands-on Sheds Light on RE5's Treatment of Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the game mostly set in slums and shanty towns? Because you know, slums and shanty towns are all massively civilised and developed locals no matter the race and ethnicity of those living there...

Threi

notag
kamorra said:
I still think that this is a "US thing". Why do you have sitcoms with only black actors? Why do you almost never see a black man with a white wife in a movie? Isn't that racist? Why is there no outrage because of this? Oh and you can swap black with white in both sentences.
That really fucking bugs me. I really want to punch people who are against interracial dating/marriage. That is one of the reasons (no offense) the sooner the older generations die off, the better.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Dude runs through barrel explosions like they didn't even exist.
I made the mistake of going for my rifle and it took 10 minutes to get a shot off.
1 char deals with minion zombies
other char shoots power generators on him.

The chainsaw boss is really simple. Draw him to the other side of the map and then get past him and to the stairs. If you're playing single player then set Sheva to attack and just keep shooting the chainsaw guy in the head with the sniper rifle. He won't even reach you if you can aim properly. And save your grenades for him and chuck them all at once.

M.J. Doja said:
Racism's still alive
They just be concealing it

~Kanye West

ok son, go take a break, you are relieved. :lol

I'm not sure if using a quote from a moron like Kanye West is you trying to be funny or you trying to create a foundation for 'a point'.

For your sake I'd hope the prior, lad. :lol

I feel like I'm beating a dead-horse here, but... yeah....

I can understand and sympathize with a certain amount of sensitivity, but to me it seems like some people just make it an agenda to make mountains out of mole hills to create controversy when it comes to race. Either that or there are some incredibly thin-skinned people in this world.

If they made a game with a black or asian or native american special agent shooting a bunch of infected white Irish countrymen/women in a small village outside of Cork, I wouldn't be the least bit offended because it's in the context of the geography. Hell, if they made your spunky partner a drunk that makes cheesy Lucky Charms references, I would think it was a questionable design/writing choice, but I wouldn't grab my pitchfork. If the company turned around and added a bunch of asian or black or native american villagers just to appease the crybabies, then I'd start scratching my head.

It's a no-win for Capcom here.
They try to present an environment in their series that is pretty far from what they've done before- the bright, hot African environment. There have been plenty of 'zombie-origins' books (like The Serpent and the Rainbow) that deal with predominantly black cultures (be it Central Africa or Haiti)... so they figure "ok, this could be interesting..."
Then the whining and complaining starts.
Capcom doesn't waste much time to avoid a controversy, so they diversify the infected. Now RE5 has ALL sorts of races in this mysterious melting-pot of an African town. They even add a partner that is from that area.
People still complain. They either complain that black people are still getting shot by a white guy, or they complain that Capcom has no spine and didn't stick to their original vision, or they complain that the African female partner is "too white", or they complain that people that no longer have full functioning mental facilities are acting like violent savages as they have all damn series- black, white, spanish, whatever.

I sincerely hope I'm not in the minority when it comes to looking at all of this and thinking it's downright ridiculous.
Regardless if I am or not, I still applaud Capcom for choosing, what is in my opinion, an interesting setting for such a horrible scenario.

Ranger X

TheJollyCorner said:
I'm not sure if using a quote from a moron like Kanye West is you trying to be funny or you trying to create a foundation for 'a point'.

For your sake I'd hope the prior, lad. :lol

I feel like I'm beating a dead-horse here, but... yeah....

I can understand and sympathize with a certain amount of sensitivity, but to me it seems like some people just make it an agenda to make mountains out of mole hills to create controversy when it comes to race. Either that or there are some incredibly thin-skinned people in this world.

If they made a game with a black or asian or native american special agent shooting a bunch of infected white Irish countrymen/women in a small village outside of Cork, I wouldn't be the least bit offended because it's in the context of the geography. Hell, if they made your spunky partner a drunk that makes cheesy Lucky Charms references, I would think it was a questionable design/writing choice, but I wouldn't grab my pitchfork. If the company turned around and added a bunch of asian or black or native american villagers just to appease the crybabies, then I'd start scratching my head.

It's a no-win for Capcom here.
They try to present an environment in their series that is pretty far from what they've done before- the bright, hot African environment. There have been plenty of 'zombie-origins' books (like The Serpent and the Rainbow) that deal with predominantly black cultures (be it Central Africa or Haiti)... so they figure "ok, this could be interesting..."
Then the whining and complaining starts.
Capcom doesn't waste much time to avoid a controversy, so they diversify the infected. Now RE5 has ALL sorts of races in this mysterious melting-pot of an African town. They even add a partner that is from that area.
People still complain. They either complain that black people are still getting shot by a white guy, or they complain that Capcom has no spine and didn't stick to their original vision, or they complain that the African female partner is "too white", or they complain that people that no longer have full functioning mental facilities are acting like violent savages as they have all damn series- black, white, spanish, whatever.

I sincerely hope I'm not in the minority when it comes to looking at all of this and thinking it's downright ridiculous.
Regardless if I am or not, I still applaud Capcom for choosing, what is in my opinion, an interesting setting for such a horrible scenario.

High five! My african girlfriend also give you one!

Mesijs

I did play the same preview version as Eurogamer, so perhaps my opinion matters a bit more. :lol

OK, seriously, I kind of have to agree a bit with Eurogamer. I was really against this bullshit N'Gai comments about racism, even wrote a column about it on my website, but after seeing the imagery in the preview version, it kind of shocked me.

I've seen the scene with the white woman being dragged into that home screaming for help, and the woman is just too white and blond and the guys too black to be a coincidence. They could have EASILY put a black woman there to avoid any bad thinking, but the woman is totally white and ignites some sort of 'n*gga gang rape' connotation, if you understand me.

So, Capcom, stupid! There really is imagery in this game and it's just too strong to be able to avoid. I think they will be severly criticized for this...

TheJollyCorner said:

You are not in the minority and I fully and completely agree with your analysis of the predicament Capcom is in. It goes to show, there is absolutely no way Capcom can win. Sadly I feel it all falls back to the feeling of entitlement by certain peoples, race and creed aside. It is absolutely fucking ridiculous that this "situation" has progressed to where it is.

White man beating on poor and otherwise impoverished African peoples is outrageous!!

So Capcom adds a racial cocktail to the mix. Not enough they say . Now the annihilation of all third world citizen is claimed. Capcom adds a partner to chris, absolutely brand new character to the series, who happens to be black. Black? No not black enough, she needs to be a bit more "African" they say.

Honestly, HONESTLY. No one is owed anything in life and the sense of entitlement people have in this world is completely ghastly. Slavery is a wretched, cruel and unacceptable act and those who have been exposed to it, now or then, have my highest sympathy. THIS DOES NOT mean you are owed a damn thing. Reparations aside, the martyr complex certain minorities have is vile. A single mother with three children and no place to sleep is without a doubt a sad situation. But because she is in this sorry state, because she has nothing and I have something, does she deserve my charity? Is my money, my comforts OWED to her? Does she deserve them more then I do because she is in need?

No. No she does not.

snoopers

I am multitalented
zackattack.jpg

Jinko

aeolist said:
I blame Japan for being completely backwards about shit like this

Agreed but then America has some blame for being so politically correct all the time.

Personally i think ethnic groups will kick up a stink just about anything to get attention.

I think a lot of it has to do with education though, sterotypes mean nothing if you know better.

All the quotes in the original post sound like my literature teacher making up bullshit observations about some book. It makes sense for the zombies to act like thy did in RE4 and Capcom has the right to set their game where ever they want without making compromises for PC bullcrap. IMO people who see Africans and other minorities in the same context as every other race are more advanced then the sensitive PC crowd who scream racism at any negative depiction of a member of a minority.

JB1981

Chris Remo said:
EXACTLY.

Obviously it's not objectionable simply for black people, Africans or otherwise, to be enemies in a game. I played dozens of hours of Far Cry 2 and never once saw anything that conjured up any racially-charged imagery. It's entirely in the context.

So what type of special black zombie treatment should black zombies get in videogames, then? They can't be your normal infected zombie (slobbering, mindless, fevered savages), right? I would like to know what kind of black zombie would be appropriate here. Tell me the specific characteristics and behaviors they should exhibit in order for them to qualify as acceptable black zombies.

Core407

Banned
JB1981 said:
So what type of special black zombie treatment should black zombies get in videogames, then? They can't be your normal infected zombie (slobbering, mindless, fevered savages), right? I would like to know what kind of black zombie would be appropriate here. Tell me the specific characteristics and behaviors they should exhibit in order for them to qualify as acceptable black zombies.

They have to be upstanding citizen zombies, duh.

Hellion

1. I blame japan for not having an actual african play test this shit...

2. I had trouble believing that sheva to be a native since her reveal. light skin hollywood stereotype.

3. How are Cole and 50cent gaming stereotypes when, their offshoots of their celebrity persona.

4. Only thing that could save this game is the story, I hope capcom got it right.

Dabanton

Mesijs said:
I did play the same preview version as Eurogamer, so perhaps my opinion matters a bit more. :lol

OK, seriously, I kind of have to agree a bit with Eurogamer. I was really against this bullshit N'Gai comments about racism, even wrote a column about it on my website, but after seeing the imagery in the preview version, it kind of shocked me.

I've seen the scene with the white woman being dragged into that home screaming for help, and the woman is just too white and blond and the guys too black to be a coincidence. They could have EASILY put a black woman there to avoid any bad thinking, but the woman is totally white and ignites some sort of 'n*gga gang rape' connotation, if you understand me.

So, Capcom, stupid! There really is imagery in this game and it's just too strong to be able to avoid. I think they will be severly criticized for this...

Wow. Could you expand a bit on the other images that EG couldn't talk about or are you still under embargo?

Mesijs

Honestly, I didn't play the build until the end, just a very few hours, so I don't know.

I can tell you that this particular scen would ignite for EVERYONE some thoughts that link to racism, it's just impossible not to. The woman is too outspokenly white and the way they the whole scene plays out just makes you thinking about black people doing something to a white person (my first thought was: rape).

Mesijs said:
Honestly, I didn't play the build until the end, just a very few hours, so I don't know.

I can tell you that this particular scen would ignite for EVERYONE some thoughts that link to racism, it's just impossible not to. The woman is too outspokenly white and the way they the whole scene plays out just makes you thinking about black people doing something to a white person (my first thought was: rape).

So black on black would be cool then?

krazen

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
So black on black would be cool then?

You guys miss the point, and I think you don't necessarily want to get it either. Im guessing there's never been the racial stereotypes of black men raping white women, or guys getting lynched because they slept(consensually) with a white women, that's all imagined, lol.

San Andreas had some flack for the settings, but we can all say in hindsight it was done pretty well and pretty respectful of the source material, even with the 'clapping fools' slanguage. While nobody has the final copy to see for themselves it looks like RE5 did not. It's not like you can't have black badguys in videogames, hell, its not like you can't have black stereotypical badguys in videogames(there have been plenty). But from what we've seen from RE5, it seems they didn't really think it through

Someone pointed out how if the game took place in Ireland and involved a bunch of drunken irishmen with bad teeth, they wouldn't have a problem with it. But lets not be ignorant and act like alot of people wouldn't be really pissed, and rightfully so.

Lets just say I understand why a 13 year old kid in South Africa would be mad when he rips open his RE5 game and for the first time in his gamer life it takes place somewhere he recognizes...and it's a bunch of black dudes running around like savages dragging white women into the forest, lol.

Arde5643

Can't wait for the big hub bub the media and politicians are going to fry this game once it comes out. :lol :lol

Capcom really screwed themselves up with this.

Hey, he's the one who said earlier it would be better if Capcom had made the women black.

BLACK ON BLACK FTW????

fernoca

krazen said:
Lets just say I understand why a 13 year old kid in South Africa rips open his RE5 game and for the first time in his gamer life it takes place somewhere he recognizes...and it's a bunch of black dudes running around like savages dragging white women into the forest, lol.
That applies to every country in the world..
Mexicans beings wife-beaters and taco/burrito eaters...Puertoricans being gang members /drug addicts ..American being hillbillies that marry their sisters...and the list goes on..

The mistake seems to be always, other people assuming what's going to cause controversy, then actually causing it.

krazen said:
San Andreas had some flack for the settings, but we can all say in hindsight it was done pretty well and pretty respectful of the source material, even with the 'clapping fools' slanguage. While nobody has the final copy to see for themselves it looks like RE5 did not. It's not like you can't have black badguys in videogames, hell, its not like you can't have black stereotypical badguys in videogames(there have been plenty). But from what we've seen from RE5, it seems they didn't really think it through.

Maybe its a matter of culture, but I feel that the expletive laden, womanizing, gang banging depiction of black peoples much more insulting then what is displayed in RE5.

JudgeN

Mesijs said:

So stereotypes basically control how you think of black people? That makes me totally sad for you.

krazen

TheChillyAcademic said:
Maybe its a matter of culture, but I feel that the expletive laden, womanizing, gang banging depiction of black peoples much more insulting then what is displayed in RE5.

Id argue that San Andreas was more of an homage to 90's era gangster rap/hood movies(Hell, all the GTA's are pretty blatant homages to a few source materials). So, yeah alot of messed up things may have happened in the storyline, but the tone was much lighter having a steroided up CJ riding around in a bicycle. Parody has always been in Rockstar's blood.

RE5 doesn't really get that same pass because of it's serious tone. What's it an homage to in pop culture? The Dafar genocide? lol

TheChillyAcademic said:
You are not in the minority and I fully and completely agree with your analysis of the predicament Capcom is in. It goes to show, there is absolutely no way Capcom can win. Sadly I feel it all falls back to the feeling of entitlement by certain peoples, race and creed aside. It is absolutely fucking ridiculous that this "situation" has progressed to where it is.

White man beating on poor and otherwise impoverished African peoples is outrageous!!

So Capcom adds a racial cocktail to the mix. Not enough they say . Now the annihilation of all third world citizen is claimed. Capcom adds a partner to chris, absolutely brand new character to the series, who happens to be black. Black? No not black enough, she needs to be a bit more "African" they say.

Honestly, HONESTLY. No one is owed anything in life and the sense of entitlement people have in this world is completely ghastly. Slavery is a wretched, cruel and unacceptable act and those who have been exposed to it, now or then, have my highest sympathy. THIS DOES NOT mean you are owed a damn thing. Reparations aside, the martyr complex certain minorities have is vile. A single mother with three children and no place to sleep is without a doubt a sad situation. But because she is in this sorry state, because she has nothing and I have something, does she deserve my charity? Is my money, my comforts OWED to her? Does she deserve them more then I do because she is in need?

No. No she does not.
Thanks for, out of nowhere, bringing slavery reparations and Reagan's disgusting 'welfare queen' stereotype into the conversation for no reason at all. Really.

Your views are reprehensible.

krazen said:
Id argue that San Andreas was more of an homage to 90's era gangster rap/hood movies(Hell, all the GTA's are pretty blatant homages to a few source materials). So, yeah alot of messed up things may have happened in the storyline, but the tone was much lighter having a steroided up CJ riding around in a bicycle. Parody has always been in Rockstar's blood.

RE5 doesn't really get that same pass because of it's serious tone. What's it an homage to in pop culture? The Dafar genocide? lol

The serious tone of the series with the Master of Unlocking?:lol

krazen

TheChillyAcademic said:

No. No she does not.

lol.

close the post please.

I love how you bring up the welfare mother issue when the fact is in the US most of the people on welfare rolls are non-minorities.

Honesty, in a perfect world I think most minorities wouldn't mind people poking a little fun. But when people with views like you see it, you just take it and run with it. It's subtle racism like this that is the problem, and what RE5 brings to the table as opposed to something thats easily dismissed because it's so blatant.

Core407

Banned
krazen said:
lol.

close the post please.

I love how you bring up the welfare mother issue when the fact is in the US most of the people on welfare rolls are non-minorities.

Honesty, in a perfect world I think most minorities wouldn't mind people poking a little fun. But when people with views like you see it, you just take it and run with it. It's subtle racism like this that is the problem, and what RE5 brings to the table as opposed to something thats easily dismissed because it's so blatant.

Stop taking away life lessons from videogames.

krazen

The serious tone of the series with the Master of Unlocking?:lol

Hey, the game is made for scares and chills.

Not my fault even the developers have to crack a joke here and there:p

Arde5643

ITT we learn that the complexities of race relations, discrimination, stereotypes and boundaries escape a lot of gamers.

krazen said:
Hey, the game is made for scares and chills.

Not my fault even the developers have to crack a joke here and there:p

Yeah, but its zombies and crazy scientist. It's scary as hell, but its silly at the same time. It's part of why I love the games.

ITT we learn that the complexities of race relations, discrimination, stereotypes and boundaries escape a lot of gamers.
And apparently game reviewers and the value of what race is being raped.

krazen said:
lol.

close the post please.

Its only slightly disgusting the mentality of those who are certain that they are right and that those opposed are wrong. Oddly enough, I never said a damn thing about welfare and unfortunately I may have explained myself in a way that can be viewed as hostile.

Me? Racist? lol How wonderfully convenient that would be.

badcrumble said:
Thanks for, out of nowhere, bringing slavery reparations and Reagan's disgusting 'welfare queen' stereotype into the conversation for no reason at all. Really.

Your views are reprehensible.

I'm at an age where, at the time Reagan was sadly our President, I was still infantile. If you find me a horrifying person do so for views I have concocted on my own.

FartOfWar

Banned
Pedobear said:
Man if this game was taking place in Canada and had white people doing this, no one would complain.

It seems every single time there is something related to violence in Africa it's automatically racism. It's a fucking videogame. Give me a break.

Speak and Spell logic

Sidzed2

Arde5643 said:

This. My God, THIS.

For my own part, though, I remain confused.

On one hand, you owuld have to be blind to miss the way in which Capcom have exploited cultural and historical iconography to evoke menace in RE5, i.e the notion of the black savage, dark continent, et cetera.

However, I'm still not sure if I would go so far as to say that Capcom shouldn't be able to evoke these images and exploit them. The stereotypes they utilise are archaic, but effective nonetheless.

Racial sensitivity versus freedom of expression. Dammit, how does one reconcile this?

Arde5643

And apparently game reviewers and the value of what race is being raped.
I think Eurogamer did a decent job in not putting out the racism charges as a shock & awe!! tabloid-esque topic.

While this is of course their opinion, I'm glad they didn't dismiss the issue regardless if it affects the gameplay or not. Doing so makes them actual journalists instead of just "game" journalists or whatever that is.

Looking at Capcom's past works, it makes sense that they are quite ignorant of the implications the RE5 imagery has on the world, especially the US at large. However, since the biggest consumer of their RE games have been the west, I find it very stupid and odd they didn't decide to do more research on this if they want to avoid this type of controversy.

Either Capcom is really smart and is baiting race in this game to further ingrain the game into mainstream culture, or ...

they're just that ignorant of the complexities of race relations in the west, especially US.

Either way, should these elements remain in the game, we can expect a witch-hunt on the game in media and politics.
Whether that will help to sell the game or not, who knows; although all signs point to a big fat YES.

Blame!

i love how folks here on gaf expect the world to know that RE series is supposed to be camp and therefore will excuse the racist imagery.

but then it is a self fulfilling scenario because the more these fucking journalissts write about it the more it will come true.

leave capcom and their racist games alone!

GhaleonQ

sonicmj1 said:
I don't believe that all images of this sort must be avoided at all costs. They just deserve to be tackled intelligently. "It's just a game" isn't a valid defense of this imagery, unless you believe that video games are different from other media in that the images they convey don't carry meaning and weight. Such a belief further implies that games are completely incapable of telling any kind of meaningful tale.

I agree.

sonicmj1 said:
The marching soldier can be interpreted in a Stalinist way or a modern heroic way, or, perhaps, in both ways simultaneously. Whatever way the image is perceived, it carries some sort of idea, and it can be perceived in more than one way. Pretending that the images we see in our games either MUST be perceived according to authorial intent (a laughable proposition), or that the images don't carry any weight outside of gameplay context, hurts our understanding of the medium, in my view.

Agreed, but let's take this further.

1. In consideration of any dovetailing of Soviet and heroic imagery, authorial intent, where clear, should be taken in good faith. It's our duty as partakers of art. Authorial intent is CLEAR here, and should be accepted. Acceptance doesn't necessarily negate a person noting, intellectually, that a horrid concept shares similarities with a good one, but I don't think that any moral judgment or value can be attached to this similarity. I didn't mind Croal noting what he saw as similarities to those old racist films, I mind him being troubled by it.

2. There are some charges that carry a particular amount of weight and I think that slinging accusations of racism is irresponsible if intent can't be proved. Some in here have done this. Deeming images racially insensitive carries enough weight to deem it irresponsible, in my view. What about you?

Arde5643 said:

Snide pseudo-intellectual dismissals: it's just like listening to a real life associate professor!

Arde5643

GhaleonQ said:
Snide pseudo-intellectual dismissals: it's just like listening to a real life associate professor!
:lol I won't even put myself on that level!

I think there is a lot of confusion surrounding the race debate within this thread - no doubt prophetised by the rest of Gaffers in the first page already. :D

1) Some are focusing on the impact this imagery has on the game's reception within the gaming community itself, the media, and mainstream in general.
2) Some are focusing on how this imagery came about to be from Capcom and what it tells about racism and/or discrimination in the world.
3) Some are using this thread to conduct subtle racist/discriminatory trolling, or on the opposite spectrum, blatant accusation of racism and overreactive Political Corectness.

If possible, I'd like to focus on point 1 since it goes along with the Eurogamer article. Plus, issue 2 should be left to OT forums. Issue 3 is stupid and derails any discussion.

PS: I don't count those who cry out "it's just a game" excuse since it's hard to have a debate with someone who's not interested in a discussion.

GhaleonQ said:
1. In consideration of any dovetailing of Soviet and heroic imagery, authorial intent, where clear, should be taken in good faith. It's our duty as partakers of art. Authorial intent is CLEAR here, and should be accepted. Acceptance doesn't necessarily negate a person noting, intellectually, that a horrid concept shares similarities with a good one, but I don't think that any moral judgment or value can be attached to this similarity. I didn't mind Croal noting what he saw as similarities to those old racist films, I mind him being troubled by it.

The idea that there exists, in the real world, places similar (and for that matter considerably worse) then Kijuju is a terrifying thought. I can see why one would want to defend people in such situations. In the end, maybe the fact that a place like Kijuju parallels what are potentially actual parts of the African Continent is what makes RE5 truly terrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom