• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Hands-on Sheds Light on RE5's Treatment of Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Remo said:
We're putting up an Idle Thumbs preview segment within the hour, and Nick (who played the same stuff as Eurogamer) independently had similar reactions.
Does it contain the "sack beating" footage in question or just reactions to it?

Shapingo

Second said:
I think I only saw one white zombie in the RE5 demo. He looks like an Iraqi.

I think the game takes place in Lybia. There are plenty of Arabs and Africans there. All I know is Capcom scouted the game in North Africa.

OT: Mahmoud Qaddafi is now the head of the United States of Africa!!! A known Terrorist!!

M.J. Doja said:
Some people do give a flying fuck etc.

Don't speak on it then, is my suggestion.

Well maybe they should pay attention to the crisis that are actually happening to real fucking people instead of shit in a video game?

-.-

markot

Banned
Japan isnt exactly a melting pot >.<

Itd be interesting to see how bad it really is, if it is.

But I dont even like RE cause im a pussy ^_^

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think the point is that the people that inhabit that area aren't savages because they're Africans, they're savages that are African. There's a profound difference. If the game plays on a culture's general insecurity on the issue of shooting "the bad guys", who are incidentally African, then I'd say that it speaks more to one's personal insecurities, rather than anything the game directly throws at you.

But then I haven't played the retail game, obviously.

Pedobear said:
So you are telling me that racism against blacks is worse than discrimination against French speakers in Canada?

No. I did not say that at all, and you clearly are incapable of reading the English language.

Please read my post again.

firex said:
If you want to research it, she's kind of like the "tragic mulatto" stereotype used in a lot of african american plays in the late 19th/early 20th century. I'm sure she doesn't quite fit the same role, but the idea of a beautiful light-skinned black girl whose parentage is implied to be a mix of black/white is still kind of seen as the "acceptable" way to create an empathetic black character for audiences who don't know/don't care about black people.
I assumed it was a black woman design that would be more appealing to Japanese tastes. Of course, that means I'm stereotyping Japanese gamers but then my impression of the RE5 demo is that Capcom decided the best way to stave off complaints of "you kill black people" was to include arabs to shoot.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Pedobear said:
So you are telling me that racism against blacks is worse than discrimination against French speakers in Canada?

That some types of discrimination can be more okay than other types? That's it's more okay to discriminate against some people than others?

You are racist, aren't you?

Something about logical fallacies or other.

But, yes, it is worse. However it doesn't mean that one is "more okay". Neither are ok, one is clearly more severe, probably an objective viewpoint though..

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
BudokaiMR2 said:
Well maybe they should pay attention to the crisis that are actually happening to real fucking people instead of shit in a video game?

-.-
It's obvious by this point that every major government doesn't give a fuck about Africa and would rather get richer than help those people.

It's only natural that pseudo intellectual drivel like this, pointing out perceived racism in a game would be published while the condition of black people is getting worse everyday in the real world.

RoboPlato said:
This is actually legitimate. I think it's because she's based off of an actual actress but it does seem like they went for a more, for lack of a better word, acceptable image for a character that will be with you the whole time and is playable.
0,,6174113,00.jpg

that's her.

M.J. Doja

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:

-.-

nod.

games are getting pretty real though, its tough for the imagery to not be more powerful than intended. games can be art but thats really bold territory.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Teknoman said:
Im sure if Sheva was of a darker tone, there would be people complaining that not all black people are the same skin tone. Either way there will always be something to complain about...
Clearly, there is no such thing as racism. It doesn't exist, and has never existed; it was all made up by minorities to make excuses and have something to bitch about. There is certainly no history of racist imagery that RE5 evokes - that nonsense was made up after the fact by N'Gai Croal with no basis in reality, and there is absolutely no reason to ever have any discussion about race in video games.

Historical context means nothing. The history of imagery means nothing. Anyone wanting to discuss race in this or any context is a hysterical moron.

Clearly.

Majmun

Rez>You said:
I think the point is that the people that inhabit that area aren't savages because they're Africans, they're savages that are African.

Exactly.

But it's hard to make it not look racist, as it seems.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
alr1ghtstart said:
What I want to know is, what happened to all of the women?

What I want to know is, what happened to Resident Evil? From the preview it seems like they went a step further in killing off the atmosphere even more, in favor of constant bullets. RE4 had it's moments... :/

sonicmj1

Pedobear said:
You make so much sense. OMG, it's obvious that RE5 is racist. It has black enemies. The first fucking time a game has a majority of black enemies and cries of racism abound, while no one fucking raised a word about RE4 and it's redneck spaniards or Call Of Duty with it's murderous Japanese.

But hey, as soon as it's black zombies it's filthy antagonistic racism.

Tell you what, if a person sees any racism in RE5, they are the racists ones. And where would the problem be with your idea of a Canada RE? Because French people can't be zombies? The only people who would raise a ruckus are the Quebec left winged separatist media. Shit, I am separatist and I wouldn't give a fuck.

Do you even know about Canadian history and how French people were considered trash for years? How their parliament was burned by English folks lead by priests while firefighters didn't lift a finger? When churches told their people not to consider French Canadian there equal?

Do you think Africa's the only place that faced prejudice? Or that only black people can be discriminated against?
It's not just the existence of prejudice. It's the nature of the prejudice, and the way these stereotypes have been propagated for centuries, literally, against the African people.

When the French Canadians have had a stereotype that they are all brutish savages, uncontrollably violent and lustful for English Canadian women, used against them for centuries as justification for enslaving them, stripping them of all rights, and seizing all their possessions, then maybe you'll be on to an accurate parallel. Because then, a Canadian zombie game that uses the images expressed in the article will actually have relevance outside the game they exist in.

Considering these types are used to this day to dismiss the region and its people, and are seen by many as acceptable (see some of the responses in this thread, for instance), their propagation is a problem, and few other races are subject to stereotypes that would be prominent in a zombie game.

I have no problem with the principle of Capcom making a zombie game in Africa. They just shouldn't be so damn stupid about it.

I don't know as much about Call of Duty: World at War, so I can't really comment on it.

Dreams-Visions said:
0,,6174113,00.jpg

that's her.
She's supposed to be a representation of all blacks?

It's funny to take a look at movies involving black people and their respective skin tones. It'll make you question the casting choices and wonder if they were deliberate or not.

aeolist

Banned
The real problem here is that Capcom is so behind the times.

If they're going to make a game with racist imagery it needs to be about blacks who steal and deal drugs and rap, not this bullshit 19th century racism.

I demand more contemporary stereotypes!

BudokaiMR2 said:

-.-
unfortunately, entertainment has been used for the last couple of generations (in America) to perpetuate racially-suggestive imagery.

Black face, Sambo, black men huntin' teh white womenz, eating watermelon in races, etc. all reinforcements for stereotypes that hurt real people in real ways.

...and unless videogames are not entertainment...or are somehow free from intended/unintended reinforcement of said stereotypes, it does matter. to what degree won't be known until we get our hands on the game and observe everything for ourselves (with the necessary understanding of how RE is in general, anyway).

Rez>You said:
I think the point is that the people that inhabit that area aren't savages because they're Africans, they're savages that are African. There's a profound difference. If the game plays on a culture's general insecurity on the issue of shooting "the bad guys", who are incidentally African, then I'd say that it speaks more to one's personal insecurities, rather than anything the game directly throws at you.

But then I haven't played the retail game, obviously.

Probably my closet stance on the subject. Well put.

benita316

Banned
JasonUresti said:
This can be true.

In Pride, a Japanese MMA organization, fighter Kevin Randleman, a very muscular, stout black American fighter, was referred to as Donkey Kong, and I believe they even showed footage from Donkey Kong on the big screen when he came out once.

Well from YOUR description he does sound like he could resemble an ape.

What's the problem?

Capcom producer: "Okay, so we really need to appeal to the Western market. What do American gamers like?"

Capcom AP 1: "Cover systems?"

Capcom producer: "Great! More!"

Capcom AP 2: "Cooperative play?"

Capcom producer: "Perfect! Keep going!"

Capcom AP 3: "Killing black people?"

Capcom producer: "This is gold! Write it up, we've got a hit on our hands!"

TheCardPlayer

The thing that is rubbing me wrong here is that the only part of the preview being debated here is the content about racism in the game while the rest which describes how the most anticipated game of the year is fucking shitty is ignored.

BlackGoku03 said:
She's supposed to be a representation of all blacks?

It's funny to take a look at movies involving black people and their respective skin tones. It'll make you question the casting choices and wonder if they were deliberate or not.
they are always deliberate. in entertainment, light skinned women are typically seen or are expected to be more palatable to "a broader audience" (code for "people who aren't black"). Also happens to Asians andd other minorities. Women most specifically. The more white features and less ethnicity, the better.

Happens all the time and will continue to. What's more interesting is how oblivious people are to it as it happens.

some of the stuff sounds a bit harsh

Y2Kev said:
google ad is for meeting black singles

buying or leasing a toyota?

Chris Remo said:
Capcom producer: "Okay, so we really need to appeal to the Western market. What do American gamers like?"

Capcom AP 1: "Cover systems?"

Capcom producer: "Great! More!"

Capcom AP 2: "Cooperative play?"

Capcom producer: "Perfect! Keep going!"

Capcom AP 3: "Killing black people?"

Capcom producer: "This is gold! Write it up, we've got a hit on our hands!"

:lol

aeolist

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Probably my closet stance on the subject. Well put.
So a game can't be racist unless it flashes BLACK PEOPLE ARE BAD on the screen every so often?

Let's pack it up guys, we've got this one sorted out.

ultim8p00

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Damn, I just want to kill black African zombies just as much as all the others. Killed Americans in RE1-3, killied European Spaniards in RE4; I'm just an equal opportunity zombie killer like that. Is that so wrong?!

Next stop somewhere in Asia, please!

You just don't get it do you? Why don't you make the next stop a Jewish ghetto in Europe exclusively infested by Jewish Zombies where the protagonist just happens to be a German in military attire and just happens to team up with a sexy blond haired jewish girl that looks remarkably "Aryan" ? Is that so wrong?

Atrus

Gold Member
EmCeeGramr said:
You hold the same viewpoint as many racists and mental children use to justify their stupidity. Exact same viewpoint.

Racist against whom by the way? Whites or Blacks? Because I'm neither.

Rather I'm a humanist that sees your pathetic arguments to shoehorn race wherever it can applicable to be fundamentally racist and divisive. Why are you not racist? It seems to me that paying unequal attention to particular peoples based on skin color makes you by definition a racist.

sonicmj1

Pedobear said:
The thing that is rubbing me wrong here is that the only part of the preview being debated here is the content about racism in the game while the rest which describes how the most anticipated game of the year is fucking shitty is ignored.

I figured there were already two threads discussing the demo, and one discussing Capcom's design issues. There's plenty of room there for discussion of how the game will/will not be shitty due to the stop-and-shoot mechanics, lack of survival horror atmosphere, or stupid partner AI.

The race issue seemed like it should be in a separate topic from gameplay discussion.

Bob White

I'm surprised Capcom didnt give the woman silver/white hair just like every other black chick in games/movies.

I still love Capcom.

Majmun

alr1ghtstart said:
What I want to know is, what happened to all of the women?

Women aren't really intimidating as zombies. They're only scary when they have brains.

j/k
?

Atrus said:
Racist against whom by the way? Whites or Blacks? Because I'm neither.

Rather I'm a humanist that sees your pathetic arguments to shoehorn race wherever it can applicable to be fundamentally racist and divisive. Why are you not racist? It seems to me that paying unequal attention to particular peoples based on skin color makes you by definition a racist.

I'll try to calmly explain this to you.

-Racism exists in the world
-You're pretending it doesn't exist in some half-assed attempt to look intelligent and different

That's pretty much all there is to that bullshit philosophy.

TheCardPlayer

EmCeeGramr said:
half-assed attempt to be intelligent and different
Irony at it's best. Anyway, I am out of here now. I'll go cry in a corner since my most hyped game of all time is seemingly a massive pile of fuckshit.

BSTF said:
Why doesn't Far Cry 2 have threads that go on for pages and pages about the racism in Far Cry 2? It's not as big as Resident Evil but it's sold well over a million copies.

The problem with Canada RE edition would be that it's playing on stereotypes held by the majority of the population. That French speaking Canadians are bad people that want to take over Canada.

It's not racist to make zombies African or French Canadian, the problem is in how they're portrayed in the game.
this needs to be quoted.

BlackGoku03 said:
How am I not supposed to be offended by that?

As for the second video, I have heard they regret making that picture the way they did. Also, it was from the sixties I think... no where near as current as the earlier posted vids.
it's funny, so don't be offended. stevie and cyndi are amazing.

and yeah, those scenes with with the Japanese dude nearly ruined the movie. Japan and much of the world is a lot more homogenous than the states, so they really have no reason to get offended over this sort of thing.

sonicmj1

Atrus said:
So... a white person cannot ever kill black people because of the cultural and historic overtones. Yet if a black man were to kill white people, it's okay.
I have no idea how you possibly took that from what I or Eurogamer wrote.

Maybe you should stop creating idiotic strawmen and actually pay some attention to what's being posted in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom