• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Nintendo discontinues NES Mini in Europe, too

I genuinely had no idea it even came out here in the UK, in retrospect I should've because I now remember it being announced and going up for preorders but I never saw hide nor hair of the thing in shops or advertised.

Can't have supply issues if you discontinue the product.

247.gif

Preezy

Why do these companies not simply re release the original NES, SNES. These consoles would sell millions for sure. Hell why not reprint some NES cartridges as well. People would go nuts and buy these retro consoles in brand new condition. I would pay top $$ to have a brand new real NES and SNES.

Same here. Make a SNES with an HDMI cable and I'd be all over it.

bill0527

Has this ever happened in the history of business?

--Company releases a product.
--Product sells out worldwide, is barely seen on shelves
--restocks sell out as soon as they hit shelves
--Company out of the blue says, 'fuck it, we quit'
--Customers ask why, company says, 'because reasons, that's fucking why'.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Has this ever happened in the history of business?

--Company releases a product.
--Product sells out worldwide, is barely seen on shelves
--restocks sell out as soon as they hit shelves
--Company out of the blue says, 'fuck it, we quit'
--Customers ask why, company says, 'because reasons, that's fucking why'.
Lots of consumer products have limited editions that often sell out quickly and are never seen again.

It's not as uncommon as you may think, doesn't make this any less painful however.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Nice deflection. A fan is not necessarily a fanboy. However, based on the posts I've seen from you in this and other topics where you think you know everything about why Nintendo does things, makes you sound like a fanboy.

And you still didn't link me to any source of your claims.

i think i know how a lot of companies do things - benefit of working in business for years

TheChamp

I don't understand why Nintendo hates emulation outside of VC so much, yet they activity make it harder to play their games without downloading ROMs.

why make it easy when you can buy a VC copy that you purchased on VC on 4 Nintendo Consoles already plus the orginal version

Every mediocre mall in America has some stand where they sell what looks like an old school system or controller that plugs directly into your TV and is loaded with pirated games. And not new games. No no no, we're talking like exclusively 1980s games. There is a market of people paying good money to play ancient ROMs in hardware form.

By all accounts Nintendo had a bonafide smash hit for how much consoles sell and for this specific market. Then they cancel it and give it all back to being exclusively ran by sketchy dudes at the mall clearly selling bootlegs. I just don't get it unless having to legally fill this thing with ROMs or something in manufacturing made them take a loss on every unit sold.

Jimrpg

Well I'm in Malaysia and went to Kuala Lumpur on the weekend, saw about 4 or 5 of them going for about RM700 (about US$150). I'd get them for people on GAF except I live about 4 hours away by car.

Lots of consumer products have limited editions that often sell out quickly and are never seen again.

It's not as uncommon as you may think, doesn't make this any less painful however.

This wasn't really marketed as a limited edition though, and Nintendo as recently as 6 weeks ago said production will continue. So either they were bsing then, or something since has basically led to them saying 'fuck it'. I think it would be less annoying if the thing were readily available upon release and the holidays. But people generally did not have a reasonable opportunity to acquire one, and now what's left of stock is being swept up by scalpers and interested parties are now at their mercy. It's one thing to underestimate demand( though preorders and the obvious pre-release buzz would have clued them in, but I digress), but the months afterwards they never really course-corrected to met the obvious demand.

Unfortunate situation all-around...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm sure this helps them produce more Switches which is more important for them at this point.

Also, it's really not very good. It's a cute little system but it doesn't do an especially great job.

KageZero

Please link me to where they said it was a "Limited Edition" or that the whole point was to "gain buzz". These fanboy delusions of what the point of the Mini was really need to stop.

At least, they should have said it before discontinuing it, since it was their plan all along.

NES Classic Edition wasn’t intended to be an ongoing, long-term product. However, due to high demand, we did add extra shipments to our original plans.
Quote from "A Nintendo representative" in the US discontinuation IGN report: http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/13/nintendo-discontinues-the-nes-classic-edition

flozuki

Saw them on shelve several times in Germany. They have been gone pretty fast but at least in my location it was not that hard to get one actually. Even received my two preorders (one a day prior to release) without any hassle and my guess is they will use the same hardware for a SNES classic that will be more expensive and will profit from higher demand partly due to the run on the NES Classic (one can dream, right ;D).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guess it was a good thing I never cancelled my preorder in the end. There I was thinking I'd just pick one up later.

sw26

As far as I'm concerned this thing never even existed.

Yep.

On release I was very much in a 'I'll pick one up if I see one readily available' mood but the constant invisibility of stock both in stores and online meant that faded very quickly.

I feel bad for the people who spent their time camped out for this thing, they have far more patience with a company that constantly can't ship enough of their products than I do.

MBR

Banned
I mean, I supported a scalper, but right now I'm pretty glad I managed to buy a european version for 125% MSRP right after the NA-discontinuation was official.

kunonabi

I just got an adapter off Amazon and use real 80s controllers for way cheaper. No short cords, either

that doesn't really help those of us trying to get a complete wii classic controller collection. I paid less for the monster hunter, samurai warriors 3, and club nintendo super famicom classic controllers than i did for the nes one. That is a complete farce.

Mandoric

Banned
Why do these companies not simply re release the original NES, SNES. These consoles would sell millions for sure. Hell why not reprint some NES cartridges as well. People would go nuts and buy these retro consoles in brand new condition. I would pay top $$ to have a brand new real NES and SNES.

The only thing that killed the Famicom, in the mid-2000s, was them no longer being able to source the Famicom CPU.

So yeah, the parts just aren't there.

RiggyRob

Damn, already? I would have thought it'd be something they restock annually - I guess it really was a stopgap for the Switch.

cyba89

An SNES Mini would be insane to get just for the fact everyone knows now Nintendo will discontinue it after a few months.

Celine

Please link me to where they said it was a "Limited Edition" or that the whole point was to "gain buzz". These fanboy delusions of what the point of the Mini was really need to stop.
Welcome to fanboy delusions:

IGN said:
A Nintendo representative provided the following statement to IGN:

”Throughout April, NOA territories will receive the last shipments of Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition systems for this year. We encourage anyone interested in obtaining this system to check with retail outlets regarding availability. We understand that it has been difficult for many consumers to find a system, and for that we apologize. We have paid close attention to consumer feedback, and we greatly appreciate the incredible level of consumer interest and support for this product."

Additionally, a representative told IGN, ”NES Classic Edition wasn't intended to be an ongoing, long-term product. However, due to high demand, we did add extra shipments to our original plans."

Celine

The issue most have with this is that this is their FIRST mention of it being a limited item. They never said anything of the sort going into this before that statement.
And?
No ones except Nintendo knows what was Nintendo intention for NES Classic.
What is assured is that it was short lived project (basically from holiday 2016 to Switch launch in March 2017) from the beginning and the still big demand for the item didn't make them change their idea.

Why is it that I keep seeing people say that this doesn't matter because Virtual Console is coming to Switch, as if everyone who was interested in a
$50 NES that comes with 30 games will readily splash put £300 on a device that will almost assuredly have them paying $5-10 on each game they want to play.

The shortsightedness is astounding.

13ruce

Banned
It must be a curse by now even after decades they still make the same or real bad business decisions. It's like it's intentional by someone higher up just doing it for giggles.

Celine

I'm pretty sure that's what they were asking when they asked for a link. Not to the article where they finally admit "yeah okay this was gonna be limited so just be grateful we kept making it as long as we did" that we already know about.
No ones except Nintendo knows what Nintendo's goal was for NES Classic.
What is assured is that it was from the beginning a short lived project (basically from holiday 2016 to Switch launch in March 2017) and the still big demand for the item didn't make them change their plan.
So whatever purpose NES Classic had for Nintendo was exhausted in the span of 5 months.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Yeah, remember how many stupid decisions they make.

Many people are interested in the NES classic but not the switch.

Nintendo stands to make more money off of each Switch sold, so it's unsurprising that they're shifting focus to the Switch instead.

I wonder if Nintendo will address this in any way at E3. Or just say it's for the VC

What's there to address? The NES Classic wasn't ever meant to be a long-running platform of any kind. It was a holiday gift item they used to plug the hole left by the Wii U's failure and do a bit of Nintendo brand marketing prior to the Switch's launch.

No ones except Nintendo knows what was Nintendo'sgoal for NES Classic.
What is assured is that it was from the beginning a short lived project (basically from holiday 2016 to Switch launch in March 2017) and the still big demand for the item didn't make them change their plan.
So whatever purpose NES Classic had for Nintendo was exhausted in the span of 5 months.
Why didn't they just say that upon announcement? This release has been inconsiderate of their customers on a variety of levels.

And I don't know why you're moving the goalposts here. My response was defending the claim that his question was the result of some "fanboy delusion". Your defense of Nintendo's business choices in this case come of as plenty more delusional than his asking for a link to a previous statement about its limited nature (a statement they never gave, I might add).

redcrayon

I saw a grand total of one of these in the wild (in a Sainsburys) and it was gone within a few minutes.

What I don't understand is why they don't open pre-orders early, guarantee that anyone that pre-orders will get one at the listed price, then sell off any excess following shipping to stores via their own website? Surely if making a limited run product, anything that indicates how many you should map is useful. Having a shrinking number of NES classics still being sold at £70 would do little to impact Switch sales at £280.

Top Bottom