• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX is different, and different is Nintendo's best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTag

Banned
Nowhere, because they're not consoles. Just say "add unrelated things to this graph that are more flattering for Nintendo please" if that's what you want. Nintendo's console business is in bad shape. Their handheld business isn't terrible, but God only knows what the market would look like for a new handheld. As others have mentioned, the world looks nothing like how it did when the 3DS launched.
The comment being responded to wasn't only about consoles, in fact the poster even mentioned 3DS.

Also, NX isn't a console either and yet it's in the graph. Really it seems more like "add an unrelated graph to this response that's more unflattering for Nintendo please".

Gator86

The comment being responded to wasn't only about consoles, in fact the poster even mentioned 3DS.

Also, NX isn't a console either and yet it's in the graph. Really it seems more like "add an unrelated graph to this response that's more unflattering for Nintendo please".

The post said the WiiU was their only misstep since the GC. I would argue most of the decisions Nintendo has made in the console space over the last few decades are missteps. Look at the decline in relevance in that graph. It's almost a completely perfect slide into the gutter with the one exception of the Wii.

MacTag

Banned
The post said the WiiU was their only misstep since the GC. I would argue most of the decisions Nintendo has made in the console space over the last few decades are missteps. Look at the decline in relevance in that graph. It's almost a completely perfect slide into the gutter with the one exception of the Wii.
Nintendo made more than just consoles in the last few decades. And it's not like everything else was even a rousing success either (hello Virtual Boy) but by all means keep excluding relevant data in service to your strawman.

Cyborg

Third-party publishers are not going to flock to this console; with its atypical specs and design and demographic, it's just too much effort to tailor to.

The part that bugs me the most, its been like this since GameCube.

This is the crazy thing about Nintendo, though...their inability to see and harness the value in those properties is an entirely different problem. First-party versus third-party makes no difference. The value is in the IP. Primarily, the IP helps the platform, not the other way around. But strong IPs can exist on their own, regardless of platform.

You completely missed what I'm saying, which was that even with a perfectly good reason to make those games - to broaden the appeal of their platforms - they still didn't place a high priority on making those games. The "value of the IP" doesn't matter if the creators don't value the IP.

This will not improve when they no longer have the incentive to broaden the appeal of their platforms. They will have more reason to place a high priority on bringing the games that sell lots of software units to as many platforms as possible, because making profitable software will be the full extent of their video game business.

That their biggest stated reason for ignoring these franchises is that they feel creatively burned out on them is actually going to get worse when the only metric for these games' business performance is software sales and not whether they give their platform greater prestige. They'll have no creative or financial reason to make them.

You're deluding yourself if you think that incentives have nothing to do with results.

Gator86

Nintendo made more than just consoles in the last few decades. And it's not like everything else was even a rousing success either (hello Virtual Boy) but by all means keep excluding relevant data in service to your strawman.

How is it a strawman to discuss only consoles when I am literally discussing Nintendo's presence in the console space. If I am discussing iPhones and their market success, why would I start talking about macbooks? Does Pokemon Go being popular right now mean the WiiU isn't a complete failure?

How is it a strawman to discuss only consoles when I am literally discussing Nintendo's presence in the console space. If I am discussing iPhones and their market success, why would I start talking about macbooks? Does Pokemon Go being popular right now mean the WiiU isn't a complete failure?

Because you posted in response to a person claiming that the DS and 3DS were not missteps, and that the Wii U was the only misstep since the Gamecube, which your chart actually confirmed.

You're being intentionally obtuse.

Edit:

Confused you with who originally posted the chart, apologies.

MacTag

Banned
NX isn't only a console, so why are you purposely excluding relevant data in a thread about it? Do I need to define what a strawman is for you?

The Wii launched in a world without smartphones, or digital distribution, or streaming video, or... At some point pointing to the Wii as proof positive that Nintendo has their shit together is like the guy at the used car dealership talking about how he was a high school quarterback and prom king.

Yep. In this day and age casuals are already captured by smartphone games. A handheld gaming device, no matter how cheap or innovative, does not make phone calls or offer enough f2p games.

...or, does it?

Yep. In this day and age casuals are already captured by smartphone games. A handheld gaming device, no matter how cheap or innovative, does not make phone calls or offer enough f2p games.

...or, does it?

Not everyone falls within broad demographic indicators like "casuals" or "hardcores", you know. The point is to find the niche in between the mobile space and the console space, while leveraging Nintendo's existing fanbase and brand power as well as their expertise in creating handhelds to try to carve out its own audience, as well as using mobile to build up their brands and cause a bit of a "spillover effect".

Gator86

NX isn't only a console, so why are you purposely excluding relevant data in a thread about it? Do I need to define what a strawman is for you?

I never said the NX was only a console. I merely said Nintendo has severely mismanaged their console business. Their collapsing console marketshare likely helped push them toward the hybrid route. As the article states, the NX is different in part because it has to be given what they look like in the console space these days.

I won't pretend to have some deep insight into the modern handheld market. We haven't really seen one launch in the age of smartphone saturation.

Ogodei

One has to remember that the Wii U had no focus.

• They went for the weaker system route like the Wii yet tried to sell it as being on par with the competition and great for AAA ports.
  • It was a traditional console (they even called the controller the Gamepad to hark back to the old days) and yet was different.
  • They released it with a Wii Sports-like game with Nitnendoland to demonstrate the system, but it requires tutorials for each game (Wii Sports was instantly understandable) and was based on properties appealing to hardcore Nintendo fans rather than casual gamers (one was based on a Japan only property even!). It's other launch title was a New Super Mario Bros game that was coming out only months after the last one (NSMB2 for 3DS).
  • They made a big song and dance that it was energy efficient and then didn't even mention that point anywhere in the marketing. Not even the box! Not saying that's something that would sell it, but when it was apparently one of the primary goals when designing the thing you'd think they at least mention it somewhere outside of an Iwata Asks interview.
  • TVii lol
    [*[Two GamePad support is coming lol

I liked it and enjoyed the games that came out for it, but it was a complete misstep for Nintendo. People call Wii the anomaly because of sales graphs, but honestly, I'd say the Wii U is the real anomaly.

I still question whether Nintendo wasn't treating Wii U as a stopgap from the beginning. This move to a single-stream of development has been a long time coming, but it was always planned for 2014 and never would have been ready in time for the pipeline of software for the Wii's successor. Perhaps the whole thing was a punt, not that they expected it to do as badly as it did (they would've just kept the Wii alive longer if that was what it took), but that their expectations were more subdued than they let on.

MacTag

Banned
I never said the NX was only a console. I merely said Nintendo has severely mismanaged their console business. Their collapsing console marketshare likely helped push them toward the hybrid route. As the article states, the NX is different in part because it has to be given what they look like in the console space these days.

I won't pretend to have some deep insight into the modern handheld market. We haven't really seen one launch in the age of smartphone saturation.
Then why is NX included in that irrelevant "consoles only" graph you're defending? And why bother with the misleading console only arguments anyway when the subject was very clearly Nintendo as a whole?

JCH!

Different is exactly what I want and expect from Nintendo. I already have a PC for third party games and I am not at all interested in a traditional console experience.

It being portable would only be icing on the cake. Bring it on!

quest

Not Banned from OT
If there's no platform of their own to push, then there's little need for a AAA branch. And given the bad blood there I don't see a Nintendo/Sony partnership as being that likely. There's just not much real upside for Nintendo there unless Sony starts sinking the sort of unprecedented 3rd party investment that would make even FFVII era Square blush.

The secenario you're floating might work if Nintendo were to try and do their own eShop on open platforms like PC, Mac, Android, etc, but then they'd still be doing AAA to drive their own service and I expect the hardware group would still be around focusing on custom controllers and maybe even other hardware yet.

You might be right but I think the PS is the best bet for Nintendo in the event of a NX failure. Nintendo is not going to work out on the PC. The PC crowd is used to games plummeting in value after release. Nintendo does not do that and it would lead to rampant piracy of their IPs. MS has the money to make a great deal with Nintendo but Xbox sales are really poor world side. That leave Sony who would welcome this it would really help with family and casuals. There are plenty of Nintendo IPs that don't work on mobile. Those would be on the PS platform and would raise brand awareness to sell those mobile games.

It's true that Nintendo can't do what Sony and Microsoft are doing, but that's not an excuse for poorly thought out "different" consoles. They need to be both unique and well designed, appealing to the mainstream as well as offering games for the core gamer, and they need to be reasonably priced. I imagine that's not going to be easy to achieve.

This article brilliantly argues as to why Nintendo shouldn't try and compete with Sony and Microsoft. I've yet to see an articulate and informed argument as to why Nintendo should try and compete on that level, apart from "well they were competitive in 1995!!" etc, or people having some kind of 'gut feeling' that if Nintendo released a really powerful console and tried to butter up loads of third party publishers, they'd instantly end up with a PS4-beating machine.

Gator86

Then why is NX included in that irrelevant "consoles only" graph you're defending? And why bother with the misleading console only arguments anyway when the subject was very clearly Nintendo as a whole?

Are you implying I made a graph another poster used in their comment? I'm sorry the graph isn't tailored to your specifications. I probably would have chosen one without the NX, but it's not like it matters. The presence of the NX makes absolutely no difference to the content of the graph overall.

Moving to handhelds then, it's not like the 3DS is some crowning achievement considering its launch was a fucking disaster and it's sold half of what it's predecessor did. And that's half of the DS' sales in a market with far less mobile saturation than today, so a more favorable environment for a handheld.

Hell, even Nintendo's most recent success was associated with a significant stock slide after it was announced they're not making that much off Pokémon Go. And that's to go along with the delay of the Go accessory, missing the height of the game's popularity.

Regardless of where you look, it's not hard to find some hilarious missteps on Nintendo's end.

yyr

This will not improve when they no longer have the incentive to broaden the appeal of their platforms. They will have more reason to place a high priority on bringing the games that sell lots of software units to as many platforms as possible, because making profitable software will be the full extent of their video game business.

That their biggest stated reason for ignoring these franchises is that they feel creatively burned out on them is actually going to get worse when the only metric for these games' business performance is software sales and not whether they give their platform greater prestige. They'll have no creative or financial reason to make them.

Making profitable software is the point of anyone's video game business. Nobody releases a game to lose money.

Why is anyone assuming that they need to release niche, or smaller, or "creative" games to "broaden the appeal of their platforms," or that that is the sole reason why they would consider releasing such games? If you are a software company, why wouldn't you release those kinds of games anyway? What logic says that Nintendo wouldn't release those kinds of games if they didn't own a hardware platform? Are you suggesting that only Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are capable of releasing these sorts of games (because they are the sole owners of the hardware platforms), or that they are taking any less of a risk releasing those sorts of games versus third parties?

What really gives a platform greater prestige? Sales. That's the reality of the current market. The shareholders don't care how much creativity is on Wii U, they want to see numbers.

Maybe I really am completely missing what you're saying. I just don't see why going 3rd party should or would mean that huge swaths of their creative catalog would disappear completely.

MoonFrog

Well, this would be the best way to utilize the shared library, no?

If it was a handheld and a home console with a shared library, then that would be a benefit production side that we would see as less game shortages.

As a hybrid, it suddenly becomes a gimmick. You don't need to buy both to have the versatility benefits; they come packed in. This is the concern people were airing about "perhaps they should launch at the same time, and bundled," but the cost seemed prohibitive.

Sacrifice power at the TV to make it a pack in gimmick? That seems to be what Nintendo is doing, and it is the most elegant way to achieve the vision.

Also, it shows handheld-leading thinking, which makes sense given Wii U/3DS sales and Nintendo's obsession with the Japanese market since the GCN.

bigjig

They should probably quit making consoles then because they're not really doing amazing in that category.

And lately even their games haven't been amazing. Zelda looks good but that's 1 out of how many this year?

Wii 101 million sold
DS 154 million sold
3DS 60 million sold
Wii U 13 million sold

That's a 75% success ratio over their last four consoles and a better hit to miss ratio than MS has with Xbox.

MacTag

Banned
Yeah, I would suspect that if the NX is an ARM based console as suggested, Nintendo already have working engines that at least some of their WiiU titles were built on that can export to ARM, and already have working ARM based emulators for everything up to SNES at least in terms of VC
Not just Nintendo but also Sega (SMS, Genesis, Game Gear) and Konami (TG16) have working 3DS emulators for their classic systems. Additionally other platforms lke C64, 2600, Colecovision, MSX or NeoGeo also have official emulators for other devices using ARM.

There are also ARM based systems like 3DO, GBA or DS which might be facilitated on VC thanks to their CPUs. I think the big question for VC going forward will be later higher powered consoles (besides N64) like GC, Wii, DC or Saturn. Also more niche later portable systems like VB, NGPC, Wonderswan or Pokemon mini.

This article is spot on and I think and bet that Nintendo will put out the NX for a really cheap price but will romp home with sales due to innovation and pure gameplay within their games!

Nintendo are craftsmen in the industry they don't follow they LEAD!

AgeEighty

The best route to graphically shiny Nintendo games delivered in a conventional format is for Nintendo to exit hardware altogether and become a third-party developer, addressing the biggest possible audience. If that is what the world really wants, then NX will fail and that is what it shall have.

This is the only part I don't agree with. It's a pipe dream that "third party Nintendo" is ever going to happen. They are going to ride or die with their own hardware; it's what they do. No one working at that company has any interest in developing for other companies' hardware. And NX is certainly not their last stand, succeed or fail.

They've tried the high power, third party 'friendly' (in that they had full third party support) approach twice, with the NES and SNES, and found success both times.

They then tried to be different and ignore market trends 4 times from the N64 to WiiU and had one success, with an entirely different audience who fucked off before that generation was even over.

Meanwhile, as the WiiU tanked the PS4 aimed for the traditional enthusiast market and saw huge success, and the XO went full Wii audience aimed multimedia casual device and completely fucked themselves.

So why do Nintendo and it's hardcore defenders keep insisting not competing for the market they're actually in is a good idea? Just the one fluke win of the Wii?

Because this bullshit self deluding, slow marketshare suicide, is infuriating as a lifelong Nintendo fan.

Mexen

Is it though? Don't you think Nintendo's best option is pumping out a good number of titles that fully utilize its platform? What if the NX controls brilliantly but has like, 4 titles? What's the point? Now consider that but with great 10+ exclusives and 10s of third party games including Indies in its early years. That is what is Nintendo's best option imho.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
They've tried the high power, third party 'friendly' (in that they had full third party support) approach twice, with the NES and SNES, and found success both times.

They then tried to be different and ignore market trends 4 times from the N64 to WiiU and had one success, with an entirely different audience who fucked off before that generation was even over.

Meanwhile, as wage WiiU tanked the PS4 aimed for the traditional enthusiast market and saw huge success, and the XO went full Wii audience aimed multimedia casual device and completely fucked themselves.

So why do Nintendo and it's hardcore defenders keep insisting not competing for the market they're actually in is a good idea? Just the one fluke win of the Wii?

Because this bullshit self deluding, slow marketshare suicide, is infuriating as a lifelong Nintendo fan.

Because as stated in your reply they did that successfully thirty years ago with a totally different competitor landscape and nowadays there are other companies way better suited for that approach.
That approach would probably force them going the sega route today with the substantial difference of them having still a profitable portable division that in fact will probably,y be their main focus in the dedicated device segment.

From a consumer point of view btw I prefer having something different considering how I already own a ps4 with power and third parties. Of course the difference must be interesting and find success to see support but if that happens I vastly prefer a Wii lineup alongside my ps4 one than a wii u one.
Multi platform and ports are worth just if you don't have other consoles imho.

Edit

Plus you are counting their outputs as home console when no will primar,y be their next portable. In that space it is indeed proved that they found many successes with their approaches, winning over the competition despite a less powerful system and gimmicks
So if no will be different, in the portable space it seems to me that they nailed it almost every time they tried, so...

The_Lump

Banned
On a more fundamental level, its management doesn't see value in making the same product the others do. They think it would fail by the standards of the market (because it wouldn't take big chunks out of PlayStation and Xbox's businesses) and by their own standards (because it would be boring), and they're quite right.

This is absolutely perfect. It's what so many fail to understand when asking "why can't Nintendo just put out a traditional console with competitive specs".

Nudull

Banned
I'm genuinely curious to see how exactly the NX will turn out as a medium between mobile and console gamers. There is potential, but as we've seen before, it doesn't always guarantee success.

lo zaffo

You completely missed what I'm saying, which was that even with a perfectly good reason to make those games - to broaden the appeal of their platforms - they still didn't place a high priority on making those games. The "value of the IP" doesn't matter if the creators don't value the IP.

You're deluding yourself if you think that incentives have nothing to do with results.
Perfectly thought and written. I agree.

lo zaffo

Making profitable software is the point of anyone's video game business. Nobody releases a game to lose money.

Why is anyone assuming that they need to release niche, or smaller, or "creative" games to "broaden the appeal of their platforms," or that that is the sole reason why they would consider releasing such games? If you are a software company, why wouldn't you release those kinds of games anyway? What logic says that Nintendo wouldn't release those kinds of games if they didn't own a hardware platform? Are you suggesting that only Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are capable of releasing these sorts of games (because they are the sole owners of the hardware platforms), or that they are taking any less of a risk releasing those sorts of games versus third parties?

What really gives a platform greater prestige? Sales. That's the reality of the current market. The shareholders don't care how much creativity is on Wii U, they want to see numbers.

Maybe I really am completely missing what you're saying. I just don't see why going 3rd party should or would mean that huge swaths of their creative catalog would disappear completely.
Indeed Nintendo is also a software house that doesn't mind Capitain Rainbow sales performance, or The Wonderful 101 sales performance, and dozens alike...

Castef

Banned
Being "different" for Nintendo at this point is NOT an option, as it was'nt for Wii.

That's the only road they can take in order to remain relevant/afloat.

TrueBlue

Even a PS4-level NX wouldn't do that well if one considers the Neo and Scorpio. Aside from Nintendo first party, what would be the incentive to buy it? Third parties might be on board, but that won't constitute a significant share of Sony/Microsoft's business.

Log4Girlz

Meanwhile, as the WiiU tanked the PS4 aimed for the traditional enthusiast market and saw huge success, and the XO went full Wii audience aimed multimedia casual device and completely fucked themselves.

And if N64 had CD it would have sold WAY better. Smash hit.

wazoo

NES success was also built on everyone else flying away of the console market because of the 83 crash. They lost half of the market with SNES against Sega, and Now Sony and MS are much stronger opponents that Sega ever was.

Haganeren

You mix "having a console which is good for Third Party" and "having an actual third party support"

NES wasn't third party friendly at all... It was a totally different from other architecture of the time and Nintendo was a lot more strict about the number of game which can came out from one editor. SNES was more laxist (maybe because of competitor ?) even if the architecture was once again completely different (so not that "friendly") and N64 was actually like the SNES in that aspect... But it didn't even success so that dug that "at least, our first party game are great !" grave. The N64 was actually meant to be very powerful and the PLaystation was just ready before with a better nose about what technology was most interesting (so CD versus stuff like anti aliasing chip) which made a cheap console with a lot of game for a more casual crowd... It reminds me a lot of the Wii actually...

The Gamecube really wanted to be Third Party Friendly and it actually worked at some extend... And we all know it was disappointing. Nintendo always did what they wanted to do with handlet and everyone followed. The Wii is the first really huge departure from the rest of the market and we all know it was a success. The Wii U is the only console where they did something very different and it didn't worked.

Nintendo ALWAYS had that mentality of "I do what i want to do, follow me" instead of "Oh, we have this nice console, could you please go on it ?" apart from the Gamecube era. So don't tell they only tried the "high power/third party friendly" combo only twice with success, it just doesn't make sense for me.

MANUELF

Banned
If anyone is hoping for a third party Nintendo I sure hope you like your Marios and Zeldas because they will not release anything else

If anyone is hoping for a third party Nintendo I sure hope you like your Marios and Zeldas because they will not release anything else

I certainly don't buy a Nintendo machine for the same multiplats as all the others have.
But if it's a popular machine third parties can make a lot of exclusives for Nintendo.
Not sure why you are so certain. Or maybe you are just riding the waves of negativity.

Anyway, just Nintendo first party games would be enough for me personally to justify buying the NX. But that's because i think these games are almost always from a really high quality.

KAL2006

Banned

That's pretty much why I buy Nintendo systems I don't plan to ever sell my PS4. Multiplatform games don't excite me as I play those on PS4. Though 3rd party exclusives and more first party games will make me more tempted to buy a NX than just Mario and Zelda.

AzaK

I'm with you on this 100%. There is a MASSIVE audience of enthusiast gamers (Maybe 70-100 million) and Nintendo has basically given them the finger for 2 generations.

I won't be worrying because unless they prove they have good Western third party support, I refuse to buy their consoles any more.

LordRaptor

the XO went full Wii audience aimed multimedia casual device and completely fucked themselves.

Nintendo have never made a device that they've pushed as a multimedia machine, so your attempt to label the Wii as such to somehow explain the Xbox Ones launch failures as being an attempt to copy Nintendo is way off base.

Widge

There is a MASSIVE audience of enthusiast gamers (Maybe 70-100 million)

What really? I think that is way overblown.

If the console market suddenly introduced machines of equal power:

Nintendo
Sony
Microsoft

I don't see how Nintendo would pull the audiences away to make theirs the primary console.

Both Sony and Microsoft have incredibly attractive ecosystems that lie outside of just brute power of the machine. This is incredibly hard to chip away at. Digital catalogues, friends lists, hell even controller preference are enough to sway people to a console, the uphill battle Nintendo would have to face is huge.

With that in mind, you'd end up with Nintendo being a very expensive first party software 2nd console for everyone (because why play third party games on your second console? I certainly didn't when I ran with PC and PS3).

Unique selling point is the only avenue Nintendo have here and it is a valid one.

Different is what I expect from Nintendo,its also what I want,whether that's enough for sucess I'm not sure it is,it needs to be fairly universally attractive to gamers

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
What really? I think that is way overblown.

If the console market suddenly introduced machines of equal power:

Nintendo
Sony
Microsoft

I don't see how Nintendo would pull the audiences away to make theirs the primary console.

Both Sony and Microsoft have incredibly attractive ecosystems that lie outside of just brute power of the machine. This is incredibly hard to chip away at. Digital catalogues, friends lists, hell even controller preference are enough to sway people to a console, the uphill battle Nintendo would have to face is huge.

With that in mind, you'd end up with Nintendo being a very expensive first party software 2nd console for everyone (because why play third party games on your second console? I certainly didn't when I ran with PC and PS3).

Unique selling point is the only avenue Nintendo have here and it is a valid one.

Android did it vs the iPhone, Palm, BB and MS. And that was with offering mostly free and low priced apps. Granted Nintendo cant sell their consoles as cheap as some Android OEMs, but it shows one can get into/back into a market and have success.

Another thing about Android's ecosystem is family of devices. Games, apps can basically be played on any other Android devices all things being equal.

Nintendo might need to go the multiple device route to get back in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom