• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX is different, and different is Nintendo's best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong thread and wrong week. This was posted 10 days ago.
So was that post.
Is it though? Don't you think Nintendo's best option is pumping out a good number of titles that fully utilize its platform? What if the NX controls brilliantly but has like, 4 titles? What's the point? Now consider that but with great 10+ exclusives and 10s of third party games including Indies in its early years. That is what is Nintendo's best option imho.
What are you even talking about? If the NX is a hybrid, it will have a shitload of 1st party titles and attractive to Indies. Good 3rd party support isn't going to be there no matter what Nintendo does.

The Wii launched in a world without smartphones, or digital distribution, or streaming video, or... At some point pointing to the Wii as proof positive that Nintendo has their shit together is like the guy at the used car dealership talking about how he was a high school quarterback and prom king.

^ gotta savour that metaphor.

Mexen

So was that post.

What are you even talking about? If the NX is a hybrid, it will have a shitload of 1st party titles and attractive to Indies. Good 3rd party support isn't going to be there no matter what Nintendo does.

This makes sense if Nintendo had "console-ready" and "portable-ready" models for releasing their games. From what I gather each game will be playable in either mode by default, unless I am wrong and developers will be making games that can only be played in portable or console mode only - so while team A optimizes their game for switching between console and portable, teams B, C, D focus on just the portable part; which I have trouble seeing happen (you are accounting for screen size, processing power, battery, resolution change so team A cannot churn out more titles than the other teams). Also, would you do me the courtesy of reminding me if the NX BC?

If it is and developers are allowed to focus only on one of the two modes aforementioned, then yes, shitload of games makes sense.

spectator

I don't think different-for-different's-sake is Nintendo's best option. Different may be the best option, if they have something worth being different for (such as Wii). Otherwise, the best option may be to focus where they excel: software (ie. going 3rd-party).

sphinx

the piano man
there is ONE and only one thing I don't understand from nintendo and that is knowingly and perfectly aware greenlighting underpowered hardware that they know perfectly well will not receive any of the major 3rd party games, no final fantasies, no resident evils, no GTAs, nothing.

I can't understand how there can be a business meeting in Kyoto and no one among those 10 or 20 men/women in charge of deciding the hardware for the next 5 or so years is capable of saying "People, with this hardware, we will maybe have 4 major games a year, ... we need support from everyone else let's bring the hardware up to par please".

it's fine they want to do their thing, innovate, be more accesible and covnenient and not fight for the same demographic of their competitors but willfully setting up themselves for droughts and misserable game libraries, that I will never understand.

I think its all about being able to have a portable main console which can be used in home and outside as well.

Wii u dipped there toe into this territory but I believe that with this new technology and the introduction of some amazing new innovation in the way of advanced AR this will be a killer machine for Nintendo. They do not need to be the same, the industry has learnt and added some of the innovations that Nintendo came out with FIRST and took the lead.
As regards to when this will be announced I really do feel some word will come next month. I hope that there is not 1 but 2 forms of Nx so you can decide which part of the platform you want to start on. I also think and hope that the My Nintendo program will get into full speed offering as good as Club Nintendo or better, that IMO was a huge incentive to people that would not usually of bought a certain type of game.

Speaking of my Nintendo I hope that if Nintendo want early adopters to Nx they give a huge discount and incentive to Wii u owners to basically say sorry for dropping all support in favour of Nx. Given that there are easily around 10 million + Wii u owners if even a small portion of them went for an NX this would be a good kick start for the Nx platform.

maxcriden

I think its all about being able to have a portable main console which can be used in home and outside as well.

Wii u dipped there toe into this territory but I believe that with this new technology and the introduction of some amazing new innovation in the way of advanced AR this will be a killer machine for Nintendo. They do not need to be the same, the industry has learnt and added some of the innovations that Nintendo came out with FIRST and took the lead.
As regards to when this will be announced I really do feel some word will come next month. I hope that there is not 1 but 2 forms of Nx so you can decide which part of the platform you want to start on. I also think and hope that the My Nintendo program will get into full speed offering as good as Club Nintendo or better, that IMO was a huge incentive to people that would not usually of bought a certain type of game.

Speaking of my Nintendo I hope that if Nintendo want early adopters to Nx they give a huge discount and incentive to Wii u owners to basically say sorry for dropping all support in favour of Nx. Given that there are easily around 10 million + Wii u owners if even a small portion of them went for an NX this would be a good kick start for the Nx platform.

BBTC, I think you make some interesting points and I like the cut of your jib. A couple thoughts:

First, regarding multiple options day one. I think this could be a mistake. I say that because the problems with Wii U especially and even 3DS to a lesser extent at launch had in part something to do with customer confusion. People thought Wii U was an add-on for Wii. I don't think having two models helped them, either. So I think perhaps introduce a second option (maybe a standalone HH, or alternately a boosted dock) only when the first primary option is firmly embedded in the collective consumer consciousness. That way they can avoid confusion and best implement the hybrid ecosystem.

As to an incentive to Wii U owners, I'm quite curious what if anything they will offer. The only time Nintendo has offered any such incentive was with 3DS ambassadorship and that was a very different situation. Wii U OTOH got as much first party support practically as some other Nintendo systems, even consoles. Given that I wonder if we will see any incentive beyond perhaps VC upgrading for a low cost (or less) if technically doable. I'm trying to keep my expectations low on that front but some incentive would be welcome (though I'll be there day one for NX regardless, even if it was a toaster that made toast with a Waluigi face).

Thanks Max, I try to bring some discussions into the nx threads apart from sheer guess work of what Nintendo has planned for us.

I do think that 2 levels would be good for Nx and I am with you I enjoyed my first party games I got from Nintendo on Wii u. Given that a lot of products where switched from Wii u to Nx I do think that Nintendo knowingly will of short changed us on support for Wii u, this in turn gives you 2 options. One is to just be happy with what you have got already and keep playing , given that you have not completed all games yet, or two you move over to Nx.
Of course you could if you did not have any other console say to hell with Nintendo now and goto Microsoft or Sony. So given this, yes I do think that Nintendo will offer some incentive for early adopters, be it through My Nintendo points or at the till.
I cannot wait to see what the fuss is all about and welcome the new next phase of Nintendo's history.

The one thing that still makes me wonder if maybe they will still carry on with support to Wii u and DS is Nintendo say that NX is not a direct replacement for both and a new way of playing. If that's the case then where is the rest of the games for these consoles?

Obviously the only 2 we know which is still coming for Wii u is Paper Mario Splash and of course Wii u 's swan song! Breath of Wild.

STOP REVIVING NX THREADS. It's EXHAUSTING seeing you guys latching to every topic you can. Modbot's already closed like, 3. Get the message.

Calm Mind

Übermatik;214828434 said:
STOP REVIVING NX THREADS. It's EXHAUSTING seeing you guys latching to every topic you can. Modbot's already closed like, 3. Get the message.

Chill pill; take one.

Genio88

Why are they closing NX threads? To me there is a great amount of hype for this console, it's good to have a place where to discuss it

Why are they closing NX threads? To me there is a great amount of hype for this console, it's good to have a place where to discuss it

Because every NX thread so far became a super crazy speculation thread where people's imaginations ran wild. And by imaginations I mean crazy. And by wild I mean crazy.
Übermatik is right in what he says.

LordOfChaos

Price point is the key here imo. One console getting all their mobile and stationary game output? I'd buy the shit out of that at 250 Canadian. Any more and it starts to get more iffy for me.

They said talk about news and new articles, not making news threads a chat room, I think.

This thread is gonna get closed but theres gonna be a new one today or later this week soon so dont worry. New news new thread

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This thread is gonna get closed but theres gonna be a new one today or later this week soon so dont worry. New news new thread

Eh, it'd be great if we could really get something new to talk about soon, honestly. With how things have been going, though, don't be so certain of new news happening XD

So Eurogamer will perhaps bring new articles/leaks about NX. dr.cupcakes on Twitter

Liam Robertson ‏@Doctor_Cupcakes 18 Std.vor 18 Stunden

The rumour mill has me so pumped for NX tonight like shiiiiit ��

Liam Robertson
‏@Doctor_Cupcakes

I haven't got anything to share, but the chaps over at @eurogamer are doing god's work ��

I remember lcgeek saying that august leaks should be coming (perhaps a new devkit)?

So Eurogamer will perhaps bring new articles/leaks about NX. dr.cupcakes on Twitter

Liam Robertson ‏@Doctor_Cupcakes 18 Std.vor 18 Stunden

Liam Robertson
‏@Doctor_Cupcakes

I remember lcgeek saying that august leaks should be coming (perhaps a new devkit)?

Omg news about NX tonight??!? Please check my heart!

Goodbye thread, but a potential 2nd EG leak sure is exciting, especially if there's something more solid than the initial report.

Genio88

They said talk about news and new articles, not making news threads a chat room, I think.

Well that's actually understandable...let's hope for real news then...but if i had to guess i think we won't hear nothing until September at least, and the announcement could be around the third week of September, all my speculation of course

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
As we said in the prior threads, we aren't looking to host a general Wii U chatroom / "I'm anxious about not having news so let's just talk in circles" spot. You can make a new thread for new news. "Someone claims someone else might have new news soon" does not qualify, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom