• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

You're missing any acknowledgement of audience demographics here.

Back in 2012, before the system even launched, third parties were shooting down potential PS3/360 ports to Wii U left and right, and it's very hard to believe that was solely about hardware architecture.

Hey no one has laughed at the idea of supporting NX
because it hasn't been revealed yet.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Guys, we're not gonna get anything out of this.

Even if the information is accurate, Nintendo is most likely gonna use a custom chip.

Rodin

So probably roughly ~768 GFlops (FP32).
I'd be more than ok with that when used as a home. Don't fuck it up Nintendo.

Even if the information is accurate, Nintendo is most likely gonna use a custom chip.
Yeah, but we can try to guess a ballpark at least. Nintendo is going to get rid of many things the chip has that they don't need for a console, but the performance of their semi custom chip could be quite close to the original. For example, ps4 and xbox one GPUs are based on the hd7850 and 7790, and their specs are pretty close to the off the shelves counterparts.
I think power consumption and/or heat would prevent that much power in a handheld.

That'd be insane performance, I'd like to see it just for the craziness of it.
Most definitely, yeah, but i was thinking about performances when used as a console. They can downclock it to achieve the same graphics at 720p/540p when used on the go (or at least that's what we were speculating). 768 gflops would fit all the info we have (blows the wii u out of the water, close to one but it's a stretch to say that, can handle ports from current gen, ecc), and maybe having 3 SM at a lower clockspeed would help to get those performances at a lower heat/power draw.

AmyS

I'd be more than ok with that. Don't fuck it up Nintendo.

Well, wouldn't that be when it's in a device that uses power from the wall ? (meaning the maximum the chip can do).

If so, less for a handheld / portable, but probably still beyond Wii U.

MuchoMalo

Banned
The original source updated with some details from the Q&A after the hot chips presentation.

- Graphics performance at least 50% greater than X1 1.5 TFlops (presumably that's FP16)
- They answered yes to a question about potential applications of the chip for VR/AR

Interesting. So, the max here is 2 SMs @1.5GHz. So, maybe NX could manage 2 SMs @750MHz? That should be doable. Nearly 400 FP32 or 800 FP16 GFLOPS.

It's still useful for estimating what should be possible.

G.ZZZ

The original source updated with some details from the Q&A after the hot chips presentation.

- Graphics performance at least 50% greater than X1 1.5 TFlops (presumably that's FP16)
- They answered yes to a question about potential applications of the chip for VR/AR

That's probably at a lower power draw though. Unlikely that Nvidia talk about it though.

EDIT: 850 Mhz like the Pixel C should be doable at least docked, since 850 Mhz Pixel C has a slim form factor and no active cooling (using X1).

antonz

Interesting. So, the max here is 2 SMs @1.5GHz. So, maybe NX could manage 2 SMs @750MHz? That should be doable. Nearly 400 FP32 or 800 FP16 GFLOPS.

We also have to be open to the fact if it is indeed a hybrid device intending to be both that there may be no downclocking at all. People keeps setting limitations based on strictly handheld and past requirements.

They were going to make Wii U a handheld. Wii U uses far more power than 5w

Banned
This is good news according to you guys?

For a handheld it's great.

For docked mode, 800Gflops is below Xbox One and will likely run ports at 720p and upscale to 1080.

As someone who isn't that into handhelds, the NX is sounding underwhelming but makes business sense for Nintendo.

Neoxon

For docked mode, 800Gflops is below Xbox One and will likely run ports at 720p and upscale to 1080.

As someone who isn't that into handhelds, the NX is sounding underwhelming but makes business sense for Nintendo.
Actually, it may be close to on-par since Nvidia flops are measured differently than AMD flops (correct me if I'm wrong).

ozfunghi

So if the NX info is true everyone is gonna say they copied this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u26WwGz_VIg

This link has been posted a bunch of times today. We've seen it. It's ugly, and clunky. I don't want it. But yes, People will say Nintendo copied a rushed concept that is poorly executed, even though the WiiU was already a step in that direction, and the fact that the NX will have been in the planning stages far longer than this ugly tablet.

Nintendo wants to make it cheap so realistically, even with a good deal from NVIDIA, how much can we expect it to actually achieve?
700flops being possible sounds nice and all, but wouldn't that be expensive?

ozfunghi

Big IF, but IF they get 800Gflops, that will likely not be that much below XB1 in performance, especially if the CPU is better, since quite a few games were held back by the CPU.

MuchoMalo

Banned
We also have to be open to the fact if it is indeed a hybrid device intending to be both that there may be no downclocking at all. People keeps setting limitations based on strictly handheld and past requirements.

They were going to make Wii U a handheld. Wii U uses far more power than 5w

I mean... I guess we can't rule out that the fan being talked about was in the unit itself? Beyond that, it's a physics issue. There's no way Nintendo considered a 40W handheld at any point. The reason those plans failed is likely due to the fact that power consumption and heat made it impossible.

Hmm 50% more? And we only got 40% performance increase before due to the die shrink unless the architecture is what more than makes up for it.

It's basically the same architecture. It's something else.

Vena

Given El Capitan's production info. I am starting to think that the PSPlike item may be either preliminary NX or NX chassis going into production.

A PSP or Vita like formfactor would give then a lot of room for the Pascal chip without needing to be a tablet or have some absurd sized screen. Also 540p.

ggx2ac

Nintendo wants to make it cheap so realistically, even with a good deal from NVIDIA, how much can we expect it to actually achieve?
700flops being possible sounds nice and all, but wouldn't that be expensive?

It all depends on the form factor, I've said it could be tablet sized. Now we got reports of a PSP-like device at Foxconn but that doesn't tell us if it's the exact same size as a PSP or if it's some android product to be released in China.

antonz

This is the first I have heard of this. Got a source?

can see a bit on it here. http://www.t3.com/news/nintendo-wii-u-controller-was-nearly-a-standalone-handheld

Nintendo was ahead of themselves on the idea. Would have been ridiculously expensive because they wanted to have a separate screen the handheld could connect to for tv like play. Issues like that can easily be solved via a dock now and makes the concept sound pretty much exactly like what we have heard of NX

PtM

Banned
Man, there's been nothing on the NX since forever.
What are you doing in here that the thread is constantly on page one?

MuchoMalo

Banned
Given El Capitan's production info. I am starting to think that the PSPlike item may be either preliminary NX or NX chassis going into production.

A PSP or Vita like formfactor would give then a lot of room for the Pascal chip without needing to be a tablet or have some absurd sized screen. Also 540p.

I'm pretty sure that his info is wrong though, or at least making incorrect comparisons. I mean, final dev kits usually aren't out until around 6 months befoer launch so I don't know how he expects volume production to be well underway 7 months before launch.

thefro

Big IF, but IF they get 800Gflops, that will likely not be that much below XB1 in performance, especially if the CPU is better, since quite a few games were held back by the CPU.

CIzVrdx.png

Any good comparisons between A9x (iPad pro processor) and the XB1/PS4 CPUs?

ggx2ac

CIzVrdx.png

Any good comparisons between A9x (iPad pro processor) and the XB1/PS4 CPUs?

To save you the trouble.

It's not really surprising for an automotive SoC designed to be used in conjunction with a dedicated GPU. There's not much point going crazy on the integrated GPU at that point.

As previously discussed, I wouldn't read too much into benchmarks for Denver, the microarchitecture (or more specifically the use of dynamic code optimisation) is basically built for benchmarks, and how it handles real-world code could be a different matter entirely.

Interestingly, slide 6 actually provides a fascinating little nugget of insight into this:

This seems to be a confirmation of something I speculated a few months ago, that Nvidia's decision to combine Denver and A57 cores on Parker is a recognition that Denver has some fairly significant performance weak spots, and they're offloading threads which perform poorly on Denver to the A57 cores. I'd be interested to know what kind of heuristics they're using to allocate threads, although I very much doubt that's something they'd ever talk about.

You're right, I did miss that, sorry.

I mean, I agree that the western third parties are probably naturally uninterested in Nintendo. That's their default at this point. But if the Wii U had been easier to port to, and sold maybe twice as much as it did, we would probably be looking at a lot more third party support than it had.

And if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. But you know.

I'm not sure what could have made Wii U sell even twice as well without being a fundamentally different platform, so setting that aside for the moment, but if it had just been easier to port to... the most likely scenario is that it would have gotten better support early on, those ports would have bombed due to the audience being on other platforms, and the publishers would have abandoned the platform after a year or so. Which is pretty much exactly what the few Western third parties that actually were initially on board (Ubi, WB, Activision) did anyway.

Mokujin

While I don't expect 800 gflops, if for whatever reason that happened I'm quite sure that 800 Nvidia Gflops would be able to deliver Xbox One graphic performance. (and I kind of hate using the Nvidia flops term, but whatever...)

With my experience with SMD, he hasn't had any leaks with Nintendo information for a while, after that, he simply talks about the NX and the possibilities. I figured he doesn't have info anymore, but he's a cool to talk about NX info with.

Vena

I'm pretty sure that his info is wrong though, or at least making incorrect comparisons. I mean, final dev kits usually aren't out until around 6 months befoer launch so I don't know how he expects volume production to be well underway 7 months before launch.

I am speaking of chassis designs and design tests. Those will certainly be hitting production now as kits finalize. Not the finalized good itself.

EVH

If there is indeed not a lot of plans from western devs for this machine, it will be another crappy situation again and i am not even considering buying it.

Japanese third party support is also ridiculous because it is based usually in weaboo crap that has truly niche public, while we are missing games like Dark Souls.

Im starting to guess that it is not the sales, the dev support or something like that. I think it comes from the ridiculous and regressive weighting point that japan is for Nintendo, while Sony knew perfectly how to internationalize its balance, Nintendo has not and that also counts aside of all the other stuff we always discuss on this topic. Kinda like what happened with Microsoft in Japan.

ggx2ac

While I don't expect 800 gflops, if for whatever reason that happened I'm quite sure that 800 Nvidia Gflops would be able to deliver Xbox One graphic performance. (and I kind of hate using the Nvidia flops terms, but whatever...)

That's why I'm thinking that the most optimistic performance to expect would be 600 GF at FP32 and 1.2TF at FP16. Nintendo could go with lower clocks or less SMs to reduce performance.

It would help if I could figure out how much wattage is required. That's why I say a slight increase in power over the X1 is the most optimistic scenario to take over a scenario where the NX is more powerful than an Xbox One.

Edit: Oh, that's right. I could dig up Thraktor's post where he mentions different performance levels.

MuchoMalo

Banned
While I don't expect 800 gflops, if for whatever reason that happened I'm quite sure that 800 Nvidia Gflops would be able to deliver Xbox One graphic performance. (and I kind of hate using the Nvidia flops term, but whatever...)

No, it would still fall noticeably short.

jdstorm

Banned
Assuming Nintendo is serious about competing with Sony and Microsoft. They need to be in the 400-500 window as a portable and the 700-800 window when connected to a power supply.

This is looking pretty likely based on these numbers. So Hardware wise Nintendo is looking to be in a very good place if this best case scenario. (Which is looking increasingly likely ) comes true.

It also holds up with what many of the rumours have been saying. " less powerful then an Xbox 1, but real world performance somewhere between an Xbox one and PS4)

J@hranimo

Banned
Man, there's been nothing on the NX since forever.
What are you doing in here that the thread is constantly on page one?

Posting.

Speaking of posting...it's been mighty busy in here today, With the speculation from the latest conference, sounds like the "close to XB1 in power" quotes along with Eurogamer article are falling into place.

MuchoMalo

Banned
In that case, the gap between NX and XB1 would be smaller than the gap between XB1 and PS4. Noticeably.

Maybe? You have to keep in mind that Nvidia's advantages in DX11 and OpenGL don't translate to lower level APIs. It would be around the same gap, if not a bit larger.

Sounds like what everyone saying is this will most definitely be a very powerful handheld. It may even get close to Xbox One which is crazy to play something like that on the go-especially coming off of the 3DS.

The console side however is still in the air depending if there's anything to boosts its power.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I dunno, I'm thinking something above the Wii U (obviously, a X1 already beats it) but below Xbox One.

I just don't see a handheld that plugs into a TV doing that level. Not from Nintendo.

Not only the "Nvidia Pascal Flops", fp16 could double the performance in some instances.

Keyouta

I hope Nintendo makes an announcement tomorrow. I see that Sony announced their conference on Tuesday, and so did Nintendo for the Wii U September Event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom