• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was just thinking with all of Nintendo's teams now making software for one platform their output is going to be pretty crazy. The idea of droughts might be a thing of the past.

RPGamer92

Banned
I have a job interview tomorrow and Nintendo historically announces events on Tuesdays. i feel like the stars are in alignment this week guys.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I hope Nintendo makes an announcement tomorrow. I see that Sony announced their conference on Tuesday, and so did Nintendo for the Wii U September Event.

We've already done that one, so next up is

hqdefault.jpg

I hope Nintendo makes an announcement tomorrow. I see that Sony announced their conference on Tuesday, and so did Nintendo for the Wii U September Event.
Oh it was Tuesday? Lol I thought it was a Friday!
Yes, the stars are aligning now. Tomorrow has to be the day!

jdstorm

Banned
Has anyone yet talked about how Tegra-Parker's Virtualisation tech is similar to Nintendo's Suplimental computing Patent.

"The chip can power up to 8 virtualised machines with each having their own display pipeline"
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-tegra-parker-soc-hot-chips/

Not sure what it means, but in theory could it mean that up to 8 handhelds/Consoles could share an interconnected environment and share resources.
(Sort of like what Nintendo did with Pokken Tournament, where local multiplayer requires 2 WiiU's Ducttaped togeather)

ckfy63a

As another poster said not too long ago, if we're accepting the Nvidia part of the Eurogamer rumor as likely true, then we should also accept the September reveal as likely true. They come from the same source, after all. And, from there, if the unveiling is in September, why wait until after TGS? Combine that with the Gameblog rumor saying week of 9/12 and the Sony event date being correct, and I think we're in for a reveal the week pre-TGS, which would indicate an announcement this week. I can feel it, guys.

Noi_

Banned
So it's finally happening??? Tomorrow could be the day of the announcement of the announcement? I want to cry.

The NX is in actually in a superpostion right now. It's both revealed and unrevealed at the same time. The only one who can change this is Kimishima, and he will only do so when he feels like it.

Noi_

Banned
You know what would be revolutionary? If Nintendo put a credit card reader in the NFC chip.

This is off topic but I believe the tech is kind of already in the Wii U. As I understand, a lot of Japanese credit cards have NFC and the eshop supports this, you just tap the card iirc

As another poster said not too long ago, if we're accepting the Nvidia part of the Eurogamer rumor as likely true, then we should also accept the September reveal as likely true. They come from the same source, after all. And, from there, if the unveiling is in September, why wait until after TGS? Combine that with the Gameblog rumor saying week of 9/12 and the Sony event date being correct, and I think we're in for a reveal the week pre-TGS, which would indicate an announcement this week. I can feel it, guys.

Since Gameblog was right about Sony, I want to hope they're right about Nintendo. My only thing is John Harker said after the Eurogamer rumor that Nintendo may miss the TGS timeframe, which could mean it won't come until later September.

Nintendo did the Wii U event on Thursday September 13, 2012. If they were to follow that pattern then it would be September 15 which is Thursday this year. Same time TGS is happening. This fits with Gameblogs rumor of the September 12th week.

I dunno, I'm thinking something above the Wii U (obviously, a X1 already beats it) but below Xbox One.

I just don't see a handheld that plugs into a TV doing that level. Not from Nintendo.
I'd honestly just want something that can run Breath of the Wild at 1080p 30fps on the TV or at least have a good dpi on the handheld (540/720 on the screen) and maybe 60fps. Xbox One level spec is a bit of a pipe dream, but BoTW but better and on the go is pretty realistic and what I'd personally want/hope.

Banned
Actually, it may be close to on-par since Nvidia flops are measured differently than AMD flops (correct me if I'm wrong).
There's about a 30% difference. The 922gflops figure from zombies specs would clock in at just under 1.3TF of GCN power (Xbox One) while docked. Which would allow native 1080p30. At 800gflops docked you're looking at perhaps upscaling instead of rendering to 1080p.

I dunno, I'm thinking something above the Wii U (obviously, a X1 already beats it) but below Xbox One.

I just don't see a handheld that plugs into a TV doing that level. Not from Nintendo.

Thing is, when has Nintendo ever make a console that was less powerful than the last gen?

ggx2ac

Has anyone yet talked about how Tegra-Parker's Virtualisation tech is similar to Nintendo's Suplimental computing Patent.

"The chip can power up to 8 virtualised machines with each having their own display pipeline"
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-tegra-parker-soc-hot-chips/

Not sure what it means, but in theory could it mean that up to 8 handhelds/Consoles could share an interconnected environment and share resources.
(Sort of like what Nintendo did with Pokken Tournament, where local multiplayer requires 2 WiiU's Ducttaped togeather)

Maybe this is the streaming tech LCGeek was mentioning? I don't know.

Another scenario has hit me after posting this:

Lol, looking at Thraktor's post again I guessed right about the most optimistic performance.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=213113883

Of course that is if Nintendo goes with 4 SM and 2W with the GPU to get approximately 600GF at FP32.

3 SM at 2W gives approximately 500GF at FP32.

2 SM at 2W gives approximately 400GF at FP32.

Considering how it was reported at Foxconn that a PSP-like device was spotted. Rumours point to it being the NX. However, we don't know if it is or some Chinese Android device.

So I thought up two scenarios that could speculate possible outcomes on the NX's form factor and the dock.

Scenario 1) The NX is Handheld-sized, could range anywhere from PSP to Wii U Gamepad in size. (But not that bulky.)

Going by Thraktor's performance estimates of a Pascal-based Tegra GPU at 1W-2W it made me think. If there is no docked mode and if the device doesn't down clock the GPU when in portable mode, then there is no way the device is big or will have an active cooling system.

This means that the device outputs same visuals on portable and on TV. Estimates of resolution go from 540p to 720p to 768p (1366 x 768). I'm still thinking of 768p as a possible resolution.

Considering that there is no docked mode, this would give a reason for the SCD to be created and sold as a product because it could do more than its player reward and cloud features. It can also increase performance to get the NX rendering at 1080p, possibly.

Scenario 2) The device is Tablet-sized. Someone here mentioned in the last couple of pages that the Pixel-C tablet can run an X1 at 850MHz and not require active cooling.

If the NX was Tablet-sized, there could easily be two performance modes where the tablet under clocks the GPU in portable mode. Hence the GPU could easily increase its Wattage to increase FLOPS performance when in docked mode. Whether it would use active cooling I don't know, I just think that a Tablet would make things easier for its size to dissipate heat.

As such, if there is a docked mode then there wouldn't really need to be an SCD for the tablet-sized NX unless it really was for 1080p visuals on the TV as some are claiming.

Similar resolutions mentioned for scenario 1 apply to the tablet-sized NX.

Again though, this is mere speculation. There could be the scenario that it is Tablet-sized NX and doesn't have a docked mode but does have an SCD. Things are just getting somewhat clearer since we're at Hot Chips now and the reveal could be soon.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Best thing for ME personally is that's more than enough flops to run most of today's indie games unless they try to be really expansive ie Witness or No Man Sky.

It should be more than enough to run all of the Hyper Light Drifters and Axiom Verges of the world without having some of the frame rate issues current Vita ports have.

So if we get the usual slate of Nintendo games, quirky 3rd party Japanese games, and enough horse power to finally run a large swath of indie games I'll be happy.

"Merciful" as in, the consequences could have been far worse than they were.

I don't really want to fight over everyone's belief that NOA didn't need help. I know for a fact they wouldn't have found the source without SMD. Simple as that.

Call it sensationalized, but the point is more that SMD's word is completely worthless. He doesn't have any sources. If he did, somebody would have knocked on his door again, and he would have given them up and deleted half of his website and youtube channel again.

EDIT: But yeah, I do want to get back more on topic. To tie back in, right now the only WORTHWHILE thing we have to go on is what we've heard from Eurogamer, which may be accurate but may be incomplete or slightly off. I really just wanted to clarify that SMD is so untrustworthy as to be basically guaranteed to be making things up if he claims to have sources.

And I would expect not to hear anything major until Nintendo decides to reveal it.

Very interesting, DerekOfTheDykes. Very interesting, indeed. Thanks for your insights. I wonder, though, how did Eurogamer's source get away with leaking what they did? Or didn't they? Why nothing else since?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
When is the last time they announced a Direct outside of the week of the actual Direct? Aren't they usually announced like 2-3 days before?

Fourth Storm said:
Very interesting, DerekOfTheDykes. Very interesting, indeed. Thanks for your insights. I wonder, though, how did Eurogamer's source get away with leaking what they did? Or didn't they? Why nothing else since?

This is exactly why I think the news was leaked on purpose.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I am speaking of chassis designs and design tests. Those will certainly be hitting production now as kits finalize. Not the finalized good itself.

Oh yeah, that should be done.

When is the last time they announced a Direct outside of the week of the actual Direct? Aren't they usually announced like 2-3 days before?

Most of us aren't expecting a standard Direct. Nintendo would be nuts to not at least invite press to a private demo event, so there's no way there's just going to be a Direct with no press hands-on unless something is seriously wrong.

Someone posted that yesterday so I moved on to the next card.

Noi_

Banned

Never I think. But this could be a special case considering a new console. I feel like they'll want to hype people up at least a week instead of springing it on everyone 3 days before

Journalists (Eurogamer, Mochi) protect their sources. Teenagers who play internet detective don't.

ggx2ac

PSP-like device at Foxconn could literally be anything.

That's why I am just coming up with possible scenarios. The NX could be PSP-like more than it could be Wii U Gamepad like. I remember when I heard how Japanese consumers had negative perceptions of the Wii U because they thought the Gamepad was heavy due to its bulky design...

The most ridiculous thing to happen and Nintendo had to get the damn thing in people's hands to change that perception. I don't think they would want to make a bulky handheld like device ever again after that.

This is exactly why I think the news was leaked on purpose.

I think Sakurai announced one for Smash like a month prior for the Bayonetta reveal, but other than that it never happens. Directs get announced a couple days in advance the most. I guess Nintendo could do a direct for the NX reveal, which means we won't find out until the week of TGS the earliest if they do that.

I just can't see it though considering this is a brand new system and its their future. I would think they'd give a bigger notice and do a press event.

Edit: I should add Nintendo wants to create and build up hype for the NX reveal. They should want to give the news of when the reveal date enough time to spread around the world so many people watch. I just can't see them waiting a few days prior to the reveal to announce it.

I know you said Nintendo may have did this control leak before too. I can see that considering it's been wayyyyyy to quiet for something that's supposed to reveal. Usually way more leaks happen as we get closer.

Maybe this is the streaming tech LCGeek was mentioning? I don't know.
A virtual machine is basically when hardware is emulated in a sandbox within another OS. Supporting up to 8 is alot and I'm not sure what that would be useful for outside of a dev environment. This might have more to do with the automotive side.

Vena

Oh yeah, that should be done.

Right, which is why I am thinking that PSP-like device could well be production parts for the NX, and a PSP/Vita like design actually could work for the sizes we'd need to be ~tablet-esque~ without requiring it to be a tablet or have a 7" screen.

Controlled leak, and with dated/old info to set expectations lower for the reveal. :p

Alright, I'm not an expert on this, but my understanding is that prosecuting someone for reporting leaked information is pretty shaky legal ground. Leaking the actual information, sure, because you broke an NDA. The sources are in danger because they are breaking NDAs, but those who report the information did no such thing, and are thus on safer ground. Otherwise, how the hell would any game information ever get leaked? Kotaku would have been sued into the ground YEARS ago.

So, it's POSSIBLE that Nintendo contacted the author of that article. But if the author of that article was legally safe, and chose not to give up his source, there may not be much that Nintendo could do.

Also, you assume that Eurogamer's source was never found. Would anyone have known that SMD's source was found out if I didn't say anything? Dave sure wasn't going to offer up that he sold someone out.

March next year being release, I don't see how it could be final nx hardware... I don't suppose they actually mass produce dev kits though either....

jdstorm

Banned
A virtual machine is basically when hardware is emulated in a sandbox within another OS. Supporting up to 8 is alot and I'm not sure what that would be useful for outside of a dev environment. This might have more to do with the automotive side.

This is purely speculation..edit: based on zero knowledge of how VMs actually work. Monster Hunter and any arena based local multiplayer game.

If Nintendo could link say 4 handhelds wirelessly. The combined power of those 4 devices could render the assets in the arena at higher resolutions/frame rates then each individual device could, and then output individual screens to each handheld.

Shared VR environments based on proximity could also be possible.

Edit. The Virtual Machine concept also fits with the idea of the NX as an IOS like iterative console. If the NXs "console" environment is tied to software as opposed to hardware then it's much easier to release next years iterative model that will allow games to run on both. Because essentially both devices despite the difference in power are running the same NX virtual console

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom