• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually love this

Though i need to see the form factor it will take as a mobile device

Would love to finally have Monster Hunter be pretty as well as portable

So it's basically this

Razer_Edge__2__02.jpg

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I can't really visualize a handheld with two detachable controllers. Sounds bulky.

It's bad move for Nintendo to once again offer hardware with less power then their competitors. By using a Tegra chip the NX will be less powerful then the PS4 and Xbox One, to say nothing of the PS4 NEO and the Xbox Scorpio. At this rate Nintendo will never get decent third-party support ever again.

I said this before, but I feel like even if Nintendo made a super powerful super third party friendly machine, developers still wouldn't support it.

Durante

I think for a product like this industrial design is incredibly important. I hope they do well on that front.

Will it at least be more powerful than Wii U?
An X1 is more powerful than a Wii U.
It's not what you would call a generational gap though.

(Of course, this depends on the actual clock rate(s) of a given device)

As someone that never games on the go, I'd be quite disappointed if this turned out to be true. I hope the system is at least as powerful as the Wii U because otherwise I'd have no reason to get it except for the exclusive games.

an x1 provides around ~1TF. if the rumors are true about waiting for x2, it'd probably rest between XBox one and PS4.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Just realized the NX version of DQ XI might include all 3 graphics modes...the two from the 3DS version and PS4...believe lol.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It sounds very cumbersome and convoluted, I'm curious to see what this thing actually looks like. If it's true then Nintendo have really given up on trying to get the big third party games on their system, but I guess they would rather make a system that works for them and their software than try to cater to a market that has left them behind.

Doesn't this go against everything Iwata said?

If this ends up being true Kimishima must have said "to hell with it" and decided to do his own thing.

I hope this is true anyway. Nintendo home consoles will have less droughts if the handheld library is one and the same. Nintendo handhelds have always had fantastic third party support, at least in Japan.

Peterc

I've my doubts about it.

- Emily told that it would sounds expensive, while it isn't sound expensive but just cheap.
- Those chips can't run xbox1 games on the same level/

- Emily told also "In what kind of shape form?" It's just a handheld with controller connections.

Also what does the base station do? Do they make the gfx better?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's true but it's going to be left behind in 2 years time after release with PS5 and maybe even Scorpio.

Nintendo would never be able to compete at that level any more. This is the right business move for them.

Confirmed by OsirisBlack. A Tegra X2 could handle it quite well, one would think, and the devkits seem to indicate that will be the chip.

Putosaure

Concept is nice. I'm wondering about the looks of the NX itself now, two detachable controllers may induce a big console.

I'm okay with the mobile/living room capacities, and it doesn't mean it has to be underpowered. You can have lower graphical fidelity on-the-go to sustain correct battery life and heat, and when you plug it on the TV you can get the full power of the console as battery issues are not relevant.

Maniac

Banned
"Due to the radical change in hardware design and internal technology, we've been told by one source that there are no plans for backwards compatibility."

Pretty important to note too if it's true

Aaaahahahahahah

Aaaahahahahahahah

Oh god. This is too good. :'D

I wish I could say that I don't believe Ninty would be so far off-mark, but... I can't at all.

Either way I'm really sodding intrigued. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Brannon

That rules out Wii U backwards compatibility, short of a good old fashioned CD drive add-on.

Nay, the base station could have all that's needed to store Wii U games digitally. But since they only say cartridge-based with no word about discs, one may have to buy digital copies of games they only have physically.

Well, I'm primarily into Nintendo for the handheld side, so this is great news for me.

I'd be interested to hear when plans changed, though, because this is a total 180 from what Iwata was talking about a few years back.

jett

D-Member
Yeaaaaah I'm not interested in buying something this at all.

I imagine Zelda is barely going to look any better than the Wii U verison, if that.

Maniel

Banned
This is great. I love handheld gaming, and Nintendo only making one system will help me save money on buying hardware.

LewieP

Still not entirely convinced, especially given there's no sources listed, and wires can get crossed.

But if NX is just one device sold in one package that is both Nintendo's new handheld and home console, I'll happily sit at the head of the table when humble pie is being served.

guek

Banned
So much doom and gloom in here lol. We hardly know anything, and this is still only a rumor for now.

I understand where the pessimism is coming from by but at least wait for the actual reveal.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Good, a hybrid is their best bet.

Yep. Been saying for the longest time that this is Nintendo's only option going forward. They're dead in the traditional home console space.

They needed to leverage their monopoly in the portable arena to keep a foot in the door of home consoles. This thing will be awesome.

Eolz

Such a terrible idea. Really dumb in terms of hardware choice, hope they'll show some good things to convince people, because this will be hard.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Graphical comparisons with current consoles are difficult due to the vastly different nature of the device - but once again we've heard Nintendo is not chasing graphical parity. Quite the opposite, it is sacrificing power to ensure it can squeeze all of this technology into a handheld, something which also tallies with earlier reports.

Well, I hate to say I told you so...

ekim

I'm trying to figure out how to hold this thing playing with another person on the go. Or are those controllers Wireless and both completely the same? Would make sense if you want to use them on your TV.

maxcriden

Can someone explain this?
However, the handheld's side-mounted control areas are apparently detachable, becoming individual pads for two-player gameplay

I don't understand and can't quite picture it. Thanks. Do they mean if you take the controls off each side they become a single extra gamepad? If so, does the HH have controls underneath? or...does that mean the build-a-gamepad is the basic gamepad to use when playing at home, since the HH will be plugged in to the base?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom