• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucifon

This is awesome, and has a tonne of potential. The K1 is surprisingly powerful especially if you're creating and optimising games especially for it. That said, it's not as powerful as an X1 or PS4, by quite a margin.

Do we have any idea if the 'dock' adds any extra power?

Edit - wait, do people think this is the next-gen Tegra? I haven't heard much about it and with an early next year launch that might be a push. Possible though! Very exciting stuff.

Piccoro

get

In plain sight..

All you hybrid naysayers.. take the L!

I hope that we can play SNES StarFox, like he plays in that movie...

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I like the idea of a hybrid. Nintendo is pretty much the only company left that is keeping handheld gaming alive, unless you want to count games non phones with controller cases.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
A basic press release from Nintendo will hopefully follow shortly.

What can we expect from the new generation of Tegra? Like... how is it comparable to the Wii U? I can't imagine a portable console being a step forward graphically.

Nintendo would never be able to compete at that level any more. This is the right business move for them.

Confirmed by OsirisBlack. A Tegra X2 could handle it quite well, one would think, and the devkits seem to indicate that will be the chip.

It's not a generational leap. It's not going to get 'easy' ports of XB1 and PS4 games if the games you're talking about is stuff like The Witcher 3 or Battlefield 1. I'll gladly eat crow though.

Zareka

I'm a bit worried about it not being very powerful because handheld

but I'm thinking about it and I already have a PS4 right? This'll be cool to have instead of just a PS4/Xbone but Nintendo. The more I think about it the more I warm up to it.

ZeroX03

Banned
My guess was roughly a 540p portable that docks, and the dock has additional power and outputs a native 1080p.

I'm not sure how this bodes for third party ports, I feel to make those viable the console mode needs to be roughly as powerful as a PS4 and easy to port for as well as having an efficient downscaling/low power mode for handheld that requires little to no extra coding or optimization.

Unlike the Wii U/PS3/360 port situation, PS4/XB1 level games will be supported for years to come because not everyone will jump to Neo/Scorpio. I expect the NX to be the weakest system, but they could have their cake and eat it too if this is pulled off perfectly.

Yep. Been saying for the longest time that this is Nintendo's only option going forward. They're dead in the traditional home console space.

They needed to leverage their monopoly in the portable arena to keep a foot in the door of home consoles. This thing will be awesome.
We were ridiculed :')

*vindicated*

Rezae

I am 100% on board with this if true. Would actually be my ideal scenario for them and it's one that makes the most sense for Nintendo IMO at this time.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Don't discount the fact that Nntendo reupped the patent for the SCD, meaning they could potentially release boxes that increase the power for connection with TV.

Stevey said:
So it will run games on the res of the handheld and 1080 on the TV?
One of those is going to look shit

Not if scaled properly.

Can't get over the love for this. This is a terrible idea. Terrible. No one in the real world wants some huge-arse mobile console. This is going to a disaster.

MARK. MY. WORDS.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I don't own a handheld console right now so that's cool I guess. As a home console though this thing is gonna be very weak by 2017 standards..I hope it doesn't hold back AAA Nintendo titles.

Spinluck

I think for a product like this industrial design is incredibly important. I hope they do well on that front.

An X1 is more powerful than a Wii U.
It's not what you would call a generational gap though.

(Of course, this depends on the actual clock rate(s) of a given device)

Took me a while to realize you meant the X1 chip and not the Xbox 1 lol.

Well, I guess it's time to wait for Nintendo to announce it. By then, I feel like everything will leak though so they better hurry.

thefro

We'll have to see what the Tegra chip is exactly, but with the reporting I doubt it's a stock X1.

Also, remember NVidia has GeForce Now (which is quite a bit better than Sony's solution according to reviews) which could allow people to stream third party games in 1080p at 60 FPS. Seems like a "Nintendo-like" solution to me.

It's obviously going to be a powerful portable system.

Aldric

Not interested at all if that's really what NX is. What level of graphical performance are we even talking about here?

Krabboss

As a person who owns a perfectly capable PC, this is my preference. I'd much rather have something I can play at my computer desk or in bed. I don't really care if the graphics don't compete with PS4 and XB1.

Ydelnae

I like the idea, but I feel like the detachable controllers are going to get in the way of an ergonomic design and fuctional controller design. I feel like it would be better if the controller for the TV setup came separately and you just connected it whenever you are home. Otherwise, I feel like this is going to be a pretty big handheld.

The ultimate second systemto a ps4 and future handheld covered all in one

Sounds like a dream to me

Now we need the rest of the details

Kintor

Banned
I said this before, but I feel like even if Nintendo made a super powerful super third party friendly machine, developers still wouldn't support it.
That's probably true, Nintendo has burnt so many bridges that they've essentially alienated most third-party developers already. Yet that's not reason for Nintendo to make things even more difficult for themselves. If the NX is really another underpowered console then anyone even vaguely interested in developing games for the system is going to think twice about it.

After giving it some thought: not a fan.

I dont do handheld gaming, so now I have to pay for a screen and handheld tech which I have no use for. 😑

Sound promising. Look forward to seeing/hearing more in the coming months. I know some will be disappointed with not being high powered, but it's all about the games for me, so a Nintendo machine with a consolidated game library. I'm all good.

Be interesting to see if the Home unit is basically the supplemental device patent in action.

Somnid

Huh, I don't know what to make of this yet. It sounds very risky as it's probably not going to hit either market as well as a dedicated machine. An X1+ machine is not going to satisfy the consolites but on a portable would be crazy powerful. Hopefully they can maintain the battery, I'm guessing it might run at a lower clock off the dock?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I like what I read in the articles. Especially the DF take on it. A powerful handheld with all Nintendo games that also connects to TV sounds delicious.

I also enjoy very much the disappointment of those unjustifiably aroused by an unannounced NX.

For the controller, I am thinking one circle pad or stick on each side and four face buttons underneath. Symmetrical and I guess the dpad on the left would be replaced w/ the buttons.

mikeyvids

Neo Member
I hope they stick with the clamshell design and 3D screen. I feel like they've perfected the technology that it would be a shame to exclude it from the next handheld.

Trago

The big takeaway for me is if Nintendo will opt for the Pascal Tegra for thew NX, I think they will considering Nvidia are supposed to unveil the thing pretty soon.

It's bad move for Nintendo to once again offer hardware with less power then their competitors. By using a Tegra chip the NX will be less powerful then the PS4 and Xbox One, to say nothing of the PS4 NEO and the Xbox Scorpio. At this rate Nintendo will never get decent third-party support ever again.
NX won't be competing with Neo or Scorpion.

It'll be competing with phones.

Narroo

So basically, it's a handheld with the PSP's AV out port, and a second controller?

So, basically it's a PSP with a second controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom