• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evo 2020 Lineup

Nymphae

Banned

Here are the 9 games being featured this year:

Ri4swBg.jpg

• Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
• Tekken 7
• Street Fighter 5: Champion Edition
• Dragon Ball FighterZ
• Samurai Shodown
• GranBlue Fantasy Versus
• Soul Calibur 6
• UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH Exe:Late[cl-r]
• Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (Eight player invitational)

With MK out this is the first time since 2010 that there won't be at least one western-developed fighting game headlining the tournament.

There are eight main games and then a special eight-person Marvel vs. Capcom 2 tournament featuring four MvC2 EVO champs including IFC|Yipes, Justin Wong, Duc Do, and Sanford Kelly and four additional players who will be determined at a later date. You can now register for the event right here.

MvC2 Invitational for the 20th anniversary is going to be sick, can't wait for that.

Last edited:
With people sour on the franchise after Infinite, and it getting a prominent tournament at Evo this year for it's 20th anniversary, it would be really nice if Capcom could release a new version of MvC2 with online play and other assorted extras.
I have a feeling they will, and I'm looking forward to seeing high level MvC2 play for the first time!

Nymphae

Banned
I have a feeling they will, and I'm looking forward to seeing high level MvC2 play for the first time!

Man check out the Battle of the Strongest tournament that Yipes organizes, it's one of my favourites to watch now, those guys are unbelievable at the game and it's just a really fun stream, they've done 2 so far. Here's part one from this years

Man check out the Battle of the Strongest tournament that Yipes organizes, it's one of my favourites to watch now, those guys are unbelievable at the game and it's just a really fun stream, they've done 2 so far. Here's part one from this years

I'm so glad I didn't sell my copy of MvC2 because I always felt like one day I'll really get into it and experience how great this game really is. The art style alone is iconic, let alone the incredible gameplay that I experienced so far.

Thanks for the link, will watch it this week before heading back into the game :)

Mortal Kombat correctly sidelined for removal of tits and ass. Cool lineup and nice to see marvel 2.
Idiotic rhetoric which has no real reason on why it was dropped, the thing is NRS never developed a game that can truly duke it out with the big boys of the FGC, their animation is still amateurish and stiff, and while they sell a lot they never stick with or support/improve their games for extended periods like SFV and T7/SC6.
Anyway i'm happy to see UNIST/SC6/SamSho is still in, they make some of the most fun to watch tournaments.

Well, as fighting game player and fgc enthusiastic, the list is good, but i trade SC6 for MK11.

MK11 still huge online.

As we can see, Kof 15 only in the end of the year or 2021...I hope that im wrong tho...

Nymphae

Banned
Well, as fighting game player and fgc enthusiastic, the list is good, but i trade SC6 for MK11.

Yeah as much as I dislike MK, I'm not a fan of SC and I figured it had a much smaller player base than the new MK. That game burned out really fast it feels like.....which is weird considering how long it's taking them to release the full roster.

dust bunny

Very happy that SC6 made it. No GGXrd is unfortunate, but the lineup is very strong and varied regardless. Very excited to watch mvc2.

NT80

Yeah as much as I dislike MK, I'm not a fan of SC and I figured it had a much smaller player base than the new MK. That game burned out really fast it feels like.....which is weird considering how long it's taking them to release the full roster.

I haven't played much SC6 but I thought it was one of the most entertaining games to watch last year. That Raphael was great. NRS games usually look bad to me and I don't think they have the greatest reputation.

Don't blame them for dropping MK. Game is boring as fuck to watch.

Whatever though. Only really care about watching SF and Tekken. Although SC6 did have a really good finals last year.

It's the first time a NRS game don't make two years in a row at evo.

It's really weird, and I don't believe it's because of the game "violence"

M_A_C

It's crazy there is no MK11. I can't help my imagination to think there was some kind of monetary issue that EVO wanted from NeatherRealms.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's crazy there is no MK11. I can't help my imagination to think there was some kind of monetary issue that EVO wanted from NeatherRealms.
I'm huge fan of watching fighting games on tournaments and honestly MK11 was never fun to watch, there is just no flow to MK's in game animation and in tournaments no one bothers to do fatality so all you left with is character fighting each other with really stiff and robotic animation.

Nymphae

Banned
Where I can download Marvel Vs Capcom 2 ?

There were online versions available for 360 and PS3, I do recall hearing that those were removed from the online stores though, they may or may not still be available for purchase, not sure. There are other less legitimate ways to obtain the game of course.

Last edited:

M_A_C

I'm huge fan of watching fighting games on tournaments and honestly MK11 was never fun to watch, there is just no flow to MK's in game animation and in tournaments no one bothers to do fatality so all you left with is character fighting each other with really stiff and robotic animation.

I agree with your opnion, but still... One of the best selling fighting games... https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019...-npd-list-becoming-best-selling-game-2019-us/ and the top player Sonicfox won 2018 "The Game Award for Best ESports Player".

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned

EVO organizer Joey 'Mr. Wizard' Cuellar has now clarified that there will indeed be four qualifier events for the four remaining spots in the MvC2: 20urnament of Champions. The first will be in April at both NorCal Regionals and April Annihilation follwed by Combo Breaker in May and a Last Chance Qualifier on the first day of EVO.

05_evoreact01.jpg

05_evoreact02.jpg

05_evoreact03.jpg

Caffeine

There were online versions available for 360 and PS3, I do recall hearing that those were removed from the online stores though, they may or may not still be available for purchase, not sure. There are other less legitimate ways to obtain the game of course.
naa they never came back. you can download from download list though if u purchased before. its weird cause they got the rights back to release a bundle for super heros and mvsc1, and ultimate 3's port. idk why they leave it in the dust.

Nymphae

Banned
Confirmed in that story above that there is no way to even buy this game currently. Man it would be amazing if they released an MvC collection or something....

Nymphae

Banned
its weird cause they got the rights back to release a bundle for super heros and mvsc1, and ultimate 3's port. idk why they leave it in the dust.

That collection was pulled too, I was super pissed that I missed that, it had extra challenges and stuff just like the SF3 Online Edition

Helios

As much as I like MK11 the last time it was at evo it was boring as fuck with constant Geras mirror matches spamming the same f212 string and the game continues to be nothing but spamming safe strings until you open your opponent which leads into the same boring as BnB 30% combo. It's a shame because there are some really talented players in the community like ninjakilla

Anyways,

maxresdefault.jpg

As much as I like MK11 the last time it was at evo it was boring as fuck with constant Geras mirror matches spamming the same f212 string and the game continues to be nothing but spamming safe strings until you open your opponent which leads into the same boring as BnB 30% combo. It's a shame because there are some really talented players in the community like ninjakilla

Anyways,

maxresdefault.jpg

Totally agree with you! And the game had patches and new variations...Well, maybe NRS will do their own thing...!

xiseerht

Totally agree with you! And the game had patches and new variations...Well, maybe NRS will do their own thing...!

Yeah , as the best selling fighting game of 2019 and top 5 best selling game of the year . NRS really does not need EVO at all and will just do their own thing.

Top Bottom