• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evo 2020 Lineup

Yeah , as the best selling fighting game of 2019 and top 5 best selling game of the year . NRS really does not need EVO at all and will just do their own thing.

People are overreacting, saying the game is dead etc...NRS decide if the game will die or not. If they not release a season 2 dlc or their own thing, then i think the game is indeed doomed.

Look the mess;

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Doing some MvC2 reading today, and also listened to the recent episode of the Eventhubs podcast, where they discuss the "sins of previous SF games", to put the current popular opinion on SFV into perspective.

Opinions on these games are hilarious, it makes me laugh how hard people hate on SFV in favour of the older games. I enjoy them all personally, but it's really funny how the community hates on the new games, then as time goes on, tempers cool down and they are generally more favourably reviewed when the new game is out.

SF3 was received very poorly, and nearly killed the FGC, severely damaging it for a decade, and the game is unbalanced as fuck. Today it is viewed as a masterpiece, one of the best fighting games ever made, despite it's issues.

SF4 had it's ups and downs as well, on the Eventhubs podcast the main guy was remembering how people were trashing the game calling it boring as fuck when Marvel 3 was on the horizon, people wanted to move on from it and get something better, MvC and SFxT. Today it is constantly referenced in SFV discussions, people love to talk about how much they love playing and watching 4.

I just found this comment from an Eventuhubs MvC2 page from 2010:

this game is so unbalanced, 10-0 match ups and still tournament viable. The capcom characters aren't represented very well in this, there are a lot of ridiculous characters among them and most of them are low-tier, all except roll of course she's 8-2 matchup against sentinel anyday.

I think people just like to bitch. MvC2 is busted and unbalanced as hell, yet here we are 20 years later standing on our chairs screaming fuck yes that this game has come back to shine.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Doing some MvC2 reading today, and also listened to the recent episode of the Eventhubs podcast, where they discuss the "sins of previous SF games", to put the current popular opinion on SFV into perspective.

Opinions on these games are hilarious, it makes me laugh how hard people hate on SFV in favour of the older games. I enjoy them all personally, but it's really funny how the community hates on the new games, then as time goes on, tempers cool down and they are generally more favourably reviewed when the new game is out.

SF3 was received very poorly, and nearly killed the FGC, severely damaging it for a decade, and the game is unbalanced as fuck. Today it is viewed as a masterpiece, one of the best fighting games ever made, despite it's issues.
Amateurs tend to latch on to games that offered a new mechanic so that they can dunk on players from the previous game. I didn't get into FGC stuff until later but I noticed this with FPSs (where learning the new weapon or the new map early gave a thrilling advantage, if only for the first few weeks).

And SF3 did offer something new: parries.

Suddenly there was a new meta to the game that "old" SF2 fans had to re-learn. The game earned the reputation for being "more nuanced" and for higher-skilled players because MUH PARRIES.

SFV had/has issues like the massive frame delays and the small roster, but it is mechanically sound and well balanced. I'm guessing whenever SF6 comes out and it is even flashier and further simplified, folks will be talking about how genius SFV was and how it managed to balance the old with the new.

I think people just like to bitch. MvC2 is busted and unbalanced as hell, yet here we are 20 years later standing on our chairs screaming fuck yes that this game has come back to shine.
People love nostalgia, it's that simple.

Nymphae

Banned
Suddenly there was a new meta to the game that "old" SF2 fans had to re-learn. The game earned the reputation for being "more nuanced" and for higher-skilled players because MUH PARRIES.

The old SF3 reviews cited on the Eventhubs pod hilariously downplay the parry as boring and gameplay limiting. It took a long time for anyone other than the tournament mainstays to see what was so good about it I think. But it is also busted as fuck, and it's funny how that doesn't really matter in the overall life of a game, if the engine is tight.

SFV had/has issues like the massive frame delays and the small roster, but it is mechanically sound and well balanced. I'm guessing whenever SF6 comes out and it is even flashier and further simplified, folks will be talking about how genius SFV was and how it managed to balance the old with the new.

You already hear it from some corners, I've a few times now seen articles or bits about Daigo saying he prefers playing 5 to other entries.

People love nostalgia, it's that simple.

Of course! I'm just saying that a game being legitimately busted and heavily unbalanced is seen as some sort of unforgivable sin these days, yet the "most balanced SF game ever" is constantly trashed, and people are ecstatic about one of the more busted Capcom fighters coming back. I think people like bitching almost as much as they love nostalgia lol.

TacosNSalsa

MvC2 was really unexpected...

We should play a game , any time someone picks Storm , Sentinel or Magneto we take a shot and see who ends up in the hospital first

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The old SF3 reviews cited on the Eventhubs pod hilariously downplay the parry as boring and gameplay limiting. It took a long time for anyone other than the tournament mainstays to see what was so good about it I think. But it is also busted as fuck, and it's funny how that doesn't really matter in the overall life of a game, if the engine is tight.

You already hear it from some corners, I've a few times now seen articles or bits about Daigo saying he prefers playing 5 to other entries.

Of course! I'm just saying that a game being legitimately busted and heavily unbalanced is seen as some sort of unforgivable sin these days, yet the "most balanced SF game ever" is constantly trashed, and people are ecstatic about one of the more busted Capcom fighters coming back. I think people like bitching almost as much as they love nostalgia lol.
I think the bitching is stronger in competitive games. Probably because fans feel a personal investment so their reputation/ego is on the line.

I see the same attitude in shmup circles: why is such-and-such so popular? Why isn't such-and-such more popular? Such-and-such is the best in the franchise and haters just don't understand it. Such-and-such is the worst in the franchise and it is only popular because of the franchise name.

etc

iconmaster

Banned
MvC2 is busted and unbalanced as hell, yet here we are 20 years later standing on our chairs screaming fuck yes that this game has come back to shine.
Of course! I'm just saying that a game being legitimately busted and heavily unbalanced is seen as some sort of unforgivable sin these days, yet the "most balanced SF game ever" is constantly trashed, and people are ecstatic about one of the more busted Capcom fighters coming back.

Maximilian talks about this too: perfectly balanced is boring (sorry Thanos). I like balance insofar as it leads to a bigger variety of viable characters showing up in tournaments; but I wonder if SFV made it too much of a value.

Last edited:

kunonabi

SF4 had it's ups and downs as well, on the Eventhubs podcast the main guy was remembering how people were trashing the game calling it boring as fuck when Marvel 3 was on the horizon, people wanted to move on from it and get something better, MvC and SFxT. Today it is constantly referenced in SFV discussions, people love to talk about how much they love playing and watching 4.

Fighting games having ups and downs and differing opinions doesn't make SFV any less flawed.

Nymphae

Banned
Fighting games having ups and downs and differing opinions doesn't make SFV any less flawed.

My point was that they have all been seriously flawed in some ways, and that doesn't prevent people from enjoying the solid engines after tempers have cooled off years later.

Nymphae

Banned
Watched the UltraChen Tuesday show last night about the lineup reveal, and it was kind of funny seeing Ultra David hold out hope for MK being the last announced game....but then I just felt kind of bad for him. I figured they'd be hype about Marvel, but they spent the last section of the show in disbelief that MK wasn't going to be there.

ethomaz

Banned

It is funny when SFV is the best selling SF games since SFII.

BTW about the news MvC2 is a way better choice than MK11 for EVO.
It evens makes this EVO very exciting.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
That new Marvel was really an abomination......How do you follow two of the best marvel games (MVC2 and MVC3) with Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.....? How....

Also, where is Killer Instinct, someone said it's better than SF, where is it?

Caffeine

pH6gSvL.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom