• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVO 2K13 Player's Choice: Donate money to breast cancer and get your favorite game in

Just wait until melee finishes on Friday and Skullgirls is between sf4 and marvel.

Salt would be amazing.

Nah, Skullgirls won't get it that good. If it gets a Sunday spot, it will be around 4-5 pm IMO. No way will it be shown inbetween SF4 and Marvel. Those 2 will be left to themselves to finish out the day.

Ochi

Neo Member
I'm still hoping some of those smash bros checks will bounce... It's a conspiracy I tells ya, A CONSPIRACYYYYYYY!!!!1

At least skull girls is still at evo...

MLP Game got C&D (cease and desist).
Hello, everyone.

We have what for most will be bad news, for us are terrible news, and for a selected few might actually be good news.

We have received a C&D letter from Hasbro's Legal representatives, asking us to cease game development, remove any materials that might contain My Little Pony characters, names, locations or related elements from the sites we control (Our site, our youtube, our twitch), and "cease any further use of [their] MY LITTLE PONY property".

Options have been considered, lawyers (ours and theirs) have been contacted, and resources have been (mostly) exhausted.

We have attempted negotiating with Hasbro for the continued use of the property in our non-profit, voluntary project, but so far we haven't received an answer. As such, we're complying with the contents of the C&D letter until we receive answer from their PR and/or Legal departments.

We also want to inform the general public of the final and irrevocable resignation of James Workman (Elosande) from the Mane6 DevTeam, effective February 6, 2013, as well as reminding of the final and irrevocable resignation of Prominence, effective January 30, 2012. The Mane6 DevTeam no longer represents their interest, nor do they represent ours.

We'll keep everyone posted as the situation evolves, but be aware we might not be able to respond to comments and questions due to the delicate nature of the situation.
Thanks for following our project so far.
So no EVO showing, probably.

Ravidrath

Always seemed kind of dumb to me. "Stop giving us free advertising!"

On one hand, yes.

On the other hand... a fighting game is kind of anathema to that whole IP? So I'm not sure it's the kind of free "advertising" Hasbro would want.

Like, it's a really pretty game, and could easily be mistaken for an official project, unlike most fan projects.

kirblar

On one hand, yes.

On the other hand... a fighting game is kind of anathema to that whole IP? So I'm not sure it's the kind of free "advertising" Hasbro would want.

Like, it's a really pretty game, and could easily be mistaken for an official project, unlike most fan projects.
They simply don't want to have products/projects out there that people could mistake for officially licensed Habro products, especially since the MLP IP is licensed for video games.

Jintor

Also copyright law yada yada yada defend your trademarks or risk losing them yada yada yada better to be litigious than generous with your IP etc

might be able to argue parody law or something but this is the kind of project that would simply fold under the weight of moneyyyyyyy

ArjanN

On one hand, yes.

Considering the level of quality of most offically licensed games I kind of figure they'd want people to mistake it for one, but I know it's basically boils down to this:

Also copyright law yada yada yada defend your trademarks or risk losing them yada yada yada better to be litigious than generous with your IP etc

SmokeMaxX

Bad move by Hasbro IMO. The game would ONLY serve to further promote the IP. All they had to do was ignore it. Only fans would play it or people who have no negativity towards the IP. I don't even like MLP and I wanted to play it. Would've been awesome just like the Pokemon fan made fighting game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCFWN7xA7pU

tafer

Bad move by Hasbro IMO. The game would ONLY serve to further promote the IP. All they had to do was ignore it. Only fans would play it or people who have no negativity towards the IP. I don't even like MLP and I wanted to play it. Would've been awesome just like the Pokemon fan made fighting game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCFWN7xA7pU

There are plenty of examples from different mediums that show how beneficial for any IP is to let the fans go "wild" with their properties, not to mention that some official support makes the fans happy and gives to the owners of said IPs some soft -but powerful- control over the fan creations.

As ironic as it is, this crazy pony phenomenon became what it is thanks to Hasbro initial reluctance to smash the pirated episodes on youtube and all the related fan creations.

Oh well, I'm really sorry for those guys, everything from that project showed a degree of passion you don't see on many big "professional" games.

alstein

On one hand, yes.

Lauren Faust just offered the ManeSix folks OC's for a new project. You guys really should be trying to get in on this- you have the engine/artists, the ManeSix folks could help, and Lauren Faust would bring in a ton of characters.

Getting a kickstarter to fund this would probably work easier than Cryamore as you'd have the bronies and Skullgirls fans pitching in, and both groups are rabid as hell.

tafer

Lauren Faust just offered the ManeSix folks OC's for a new project. You guys really should be trying to get in on this- you have the engine/artists, the ManeSix folks could help, and Lauren Faust would bring in a ton of characters.

Getting a kickstarter to fund this would probably work easier than Cryamore as you'd have the bronies and Skullgirls fans pitching in, and both groups are rabid as hell.

That would be quite interesting, actually.

They'd need a lot of money to spin them wheels for a new game. I'd personally rather see them focusing on Skullgirls first and foremost. Not many fanbases would stick by a developer and IP the way the Skullgirls scene has.

Kokonoe

Banned
To dream big, maybe with Melee at EVO they'll release an HD version of it on Wii U before Smash 4 comes. All of my fight money.

alstein

They'd need a lot of money to spin them wheels for a new game. I'd personally rather see them focusing on Skullgirls first and foremost. Not many fanbases would stick by a developer and IP the way the Skullgirls scene has.

Yeah, get the Skullgirls PC version and any DLC first, then work on the new IP. Really the Lab Zero folks would be mostly providing the engine , so work could be done on both at once.
Would keep the artists busy at least.

Loona

Lauren Faust just offered the ManeSix folks OC's for a new project.

Original ponies or the Galaxy Girls project she's been trying to promote?
I'm more familiar with Mugen than with Fighter Maker, but I figure having to remake all collision boxes would take quite a while if the latter, while different ponies would allow a lot more recycling of assets.

alstein

Original ponies or the Galaxy Girls project she's been trying to promote?
I'm more familiar with Mugen than with Fighter Maker, but I figure having to remake all collision boxes would take quite a while if the latter, while different ponies would allow a lot more recycling of assets.

Probably Galaxy Girls or something original.

Also, during the EVO donation drive- Mike Z made a comment asking if the Mane6 were interested in the Skullgirls engine. They could start fresh with that, use a kickstarter to raise funds (They'd get $250-$500k easy between rabid SG fans+bronies)- that's enough money to get it done.

I see real potential here- they could even change the mechanics some, since the wallbounce-heavy mechanic was something done to get around the limitations of the engine they were using, and they could learn some from the mistakes of Skullgirls (a Lauren Faust fighter should be more accessible than Skullgirls given the likely fanbase won't have as many serious FG fans)

I just see this whole thing if it happened how I wish it to just oozing with potential to be something big. You've got a rabid fanbase, a great engine, and good designers.

kirblar

Probably Galaxy Girls or something original.

Also, during the EVO donation drive- Mike Z made a comment asking if the Mane6 were interested in the Skullgirls engine. They could start fresh with that, use a kickstarter to raise funds (They'd get $250-$500k easy between rabid SG fans+bronies)- that's enough money to get it done.

I see real potential here- they could even change the mechanics some, since the wallbounce-heavy mechanic was something done to get around the limitations of the engine they were using, and they could learn some from the mistakes of Skullgirls (a Lauren Faust fighter should be more accessible than Skullgirls given the likely fanbase won't have as many serious FG fans)

I just see this whole thing if it happened how I wish it to just oozing with potential to be something big. You've got a rabid fanbase, a great engine, and good designers.
The biggest + is that the project won't be saddled with Skullgirls' art style.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
But with no raison d'etre, and you lose a lot of the fanbase with that. All the asset work will need to be scrapped too.

Really, if they had hit 1.0 sooner this wouldn't be as big of a deal.

Loona

No way they'd raise 250k for something with no ponies in it.

If Mike Z wants to monetize the SG engine that's understandable, but with Mugen (it's sctually a pretty powerful engine, even if the quality of what's done with it is pretty mixed) being free and Fighter Maker having some interesting options of its own (it can do story/arcade modes better than Mugen, going by Super Cosplay Wars Ultra), SG's differences and specificities need to be better advertised, taking into account there are loads of guides out there for the engines above already.

tafer

If Mike Z wants to monetize the SG engine that's understandable, but with Mugen (it's sctually a pretty powerful engine, even if the quality of what's done with it is pretty mixed) being free and Fighter Maker having some interesting options of its own (it can do story/arcade modes better than Mugen, going by Super Cosplay Wars Ultra), SG's differences and specificities need to be better advertised, taking into account there are loads of guides out there for the engines above already.

Momentum, I think if Mane6 moves fast, they can use the current situation to draw massive support from both communities.

alstein

Better coding, GGPO, more robust engine.

The downside is probably the proprietary graphics format.

Loona

Momentum, I think if Mane6 moves fast, they can use the current situation to draw massive support from both communities.

There's nothing fast about putting together a tolerable alpha of a fighting game even with a single character.

I'd forgotten about GGPO in the SG engine, but licensing that is likely to involve a reparate licensing cost, which if I'm not mistaken is higher than what MLP raised for the EVO donation drive.

Dachande

Better coding, GGPO, more robust engine.

The downside is probably the proprietary graphics format.

The biggest downside will be the lack of documentation for the engine and getting other teams started with it. Mike Z knows it inside-out and any other programmers working with him at LZG (if there even are any?) can turn to their left or right and ask him questions. LZG would have to create some sort of support network for other teams licensing the engine and that's not a thing you do lightly. They have enough on their plate with their own work to support, let alone that of others.

LuffyZoro

There's nothing fast about putting together a tolerable alpha of a fighting game even with a single character.

I'd forgotten about GGPO in the SG engine, but licensing that is likely to involve a reparate licensing cost, which if I'm not mistaken is higher than what MLP raised for the EVO donation drive.

If Fighting is Magic asked for donations to support getting that licence to continue development, they would get way more than what was raised for EVO.

Loona

If Fighting is Magic asked for donations to support getting that licence to continue development, they would get way more than what was raised for EVO.

Maybe, but that's still just a fraction of the cost, and who knows how much the "no ponies" factor could subtract from possible donations.
Even with Lauren providing designs (how detailed, and how different from familiar pony concepts?), someone would still have to fully animate those characters as a side project without the benefit of a number of eposodes depicting them for guidance and inspiration.
Lauren Faust could get to say she provided designs for a game by providing a single pic of each character, but Mane6 would get all the work and expense for not nearly half the motivation or fame.

You never know, if such designs go public early, artists deawing ponies to get some atrention could draw some interesting material based on those designs, which could fees into an interesting fan phenomena that could help, but it's a bit far-fetched.

tafer

When I meant support, I was talking about financial support and more collaborators. And of course, some hype this early could help this guys overcome such a nasty moment.

Top Bottom