• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Big Alpha Impressions/bugs/glitches thread

Killer

Banned
Game just went online.

Please use the other thread for codes.

Update#1
We have some unfortunate news to share with folks planning to participate in the Big Alpha test on PlayStation 4 starting today. Following the recent PS4 2.00 firmware update, we are experiencing difficulties with the Evolve Big Alpha on PlayStation 4. As a result, the test on PlayStation 4 is postponed. PlayStation and 2K are working together on a resolution.

If you’re playing in the Big Alpha test on Xbox One or PC, don’t worry, the show will go on.

We know that for many of you PS4 players this is a big letdown. We’re disappointed too, and we’re going to do our best to make up for this delay. For starters, if you’re a PS4 player affected by this delay and you also own an Xbox One or PC, you can register on one of those platforms right now using the codes below and we’ll send you an invite today so you can start playing.

Step 1: Go to http://www.evolvegame.com/bigalpha

Step 2: Fill out the form completely including the registration code, referral code, and a valid email

Step 3: Check your email for an official invite with your product voucher code

Step 4: Redeem the product voucher code on the platform of your choice to download the game

Registration Code: 05379-29749-32069

Referral Code: EvolveBigAlpha4v1

We will update this post and the official Evolve Twitter (@EvolveGame) when we have more information to share.

Thanks for your understanding as we continue building the game.

The servers are firing up and we’re ready. Are you? The Evolve #BigAlpha weekend kicks off RIGHT NOW on Xbox One – and we’re excited to play with you guys!

As a quick reminder:

[UPDATE FOR 10/30, 9am PDT]

XBOX ONE SERVERS: LIVE NOW.

We’re experiencing heavy load right now; be patient for your first match!
If you’re experiencing a black screen during the #BigAlpha tests, quit out and restart the game.
PC, PS4 SERVERS: Go live tomorrow, Friday, Oct. 31 at 9am PDT / 4pm UTC

ALL SERVERS GO OFF: Sunday, Nov. 2 at 8pm PST / Monday, Nov. 3 at 4am UTC. That is when the Big Alpha officially ends

IMPORTANT: Bookmark this page because throughout the weekend, if there are any major updates, we will be posting them here.

XBOX ONE GAMERS: If you registered prior to this, you should’ve already received your invite. From there, it’s a simple matter of going into your Games & Apps and queue up the download.

Alx

I know that Evilore and admins don't care about such things, but isn't there an NDA on the alpha ?

Will you be able to put up starting times of all platforms in the OP? Just in case if people keep asking on when it starts for other platforms.

The servers are firing up and we’re ready. Are you? The Evolve #BigAlpha weekend kicks off RIGHT NOW on Xbox One – and we’re excited to play with you guys!

As a quick reminder:

[UPDATE FOR 10/30, 9am PDT]

XBOX ONE SERVERS: LIVE NOW.

We’re experiencing heavy load right now; be patient for your first match!
If you’re experiencing a black screen during the #BigAlpha tests, quit out and restart the game.
PC, PS4 SERVERS: Go live tomorrow, Friday, Oct. 31 at 9am PDT / 4pm UTC

ALL SERVERS GO OFF: Sunday, Nov. 2 at 8pm PST / Monday, Nov. 3 at 4am UTC. That is when the Big Alpha officially ends

IMPORTANT: Bookmark this page because throughout the weekend, if there are any major updates, we will be posting them here.

XBOX ONE GAMERS: If you registered prior to this, you should’ve already received your invite. From there, it’s a simple matter of going into your Games & Apps and queue up the download.

Played three matches so far. 1 as Hunters, we got killed. 2 was as the Monster I got killed. 3 as Monster I won by killing the Hunters.

Really enjoying it so far, monster is pretty fun. Learning the abilities and which to use for certain situations is interesting. In my last match, I tried to take on an aquatic wildlife and it took out a huge chunk of my health before I had to walk away.

Learning how to misdirect the hunters is fun too. The birds help surprisingly.

Weird sound bug, the game cracks and pops at times. Only experienced it as monster.

JLck

I played 2 games 10 minutes after it was meant to be online and then went away and just come back and had another. No problem getting in games here, despite it warning me about my strict NAT.

Don't like that there's no menu music between games, keep thinking my headsets gone off.

Loving the game, though in that last match our Trapper was useless so the monster just kept running. The first time the trapper managed to get it we were able to kill it.

sinnergy

Needs more visual feedback in the loading part before entering the level (like loading the dam) Like setting up connection.. or configuring party, now it just seems to hang on the loading forever.

I am on Xbox One.

Camper182

wow... so excited to play the alpha all day, come home and i get greeted with "evolve servers at capacity, try again later"

grrr

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I only managed one game before I had to go but I spent most of it chasing the monster. Like basically constantly running and jumping tracking it.

My very early impressions are that this game might not be for me. I'll play it some more but 4 guys chasing 1 monster isn't that appealing.

Jobbs

Banned
I played this game a couple months ago and was REALLY turned off. The concept seemed incredibly limited and repetitive, extremely unimpressive visuals -- it felt like a low rent F2P game to me that they'll be asking $60 for.

Wonder if it's gotten any better.

Bread

Banned
Not impressed after one game, maybe levelling up and unlocking upgrsdes will help but as of right now I was really bored.

Agreed with TechnicPuppet, 95% of the game was running around searching for the monster, and when the monster finally showed up it wasn't even that fun.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
10/10 loading circle simulation, would experience again.

edit: oh, an actual match was found

jb1116I5yMoXw8.png

13.6 GB. It's pretty big...I guess.

TheIdleMiner

Neo Member
Didn't know there was an impressions thread.

Played two matches as the monster. First match was quick as I died in stage 2 getting the hang of the game. The second match was much better. Lasted about 20 minutes. I got to stage 3 and that opened up to destroy the relay. I got about halfway in destroying it before the hunters caught up with me. In that time it was basically cat and mouse. I managed to permanently kill two of the hunters.Funnest time of the match is when I angered a monster that looked like the stage 1 version of what you start out with while the hunters were chasing me. They must have thought it was me because they threw up the arena net around that monster by accident and this allowed me to evolve into stage 3. I eventually died because my health was down and it doesn't seem like you can recoup it, just your shield level.

Monsters are going to use their mini map a lot. The game runs smooth enough but can get very confusing when you're in close with the hunters and probably vice versa. Played two maps and they were fairly large with varying degrees of vertical traversal.

Finally started a match

First impressions, I'm not sure on this, given that these are the folks that brought us the Left 4 Dead games, the first thing I notice is that the interface is way over cluttered. Left 4 Dead had simple interfaces but there just seems to be way too much on the screen and takes away from what I tell, some nice visuals.

I did not have a clue what I was doing or supposed to do and when I finally got some sense of what to do the match was over. The match only lasted a few minutes and that's being generous.

Maybe I'm not getting it but it doesn't seem to have the jump in and have fun element Left 4 Dead had

BigMoose

Neo Member
First match played as an assault and it lasted for maybe 2 minutes because the monster had no idea what he was doing. Second match I switched to monster but by the time I evolved my health was too low. 3rd match I knew exactly what to do, killed 2 of the hunters permanently and destroyed the power relay. It was funny because the other kids were sitting in the lobby beforehand talking strategy and how easy it would be to kill the monster. I chuckled.

The game is a lot of fun. I'm not sure I see the longevity of it, but I might pick it up after a price drop. It needs a good bit more content.

sinnergy

I played this game a couple months ago and was REALLY turned off. The concept seemed incredibly limited and repetitive, extremely unimpressive visuals -- it felt like a low rent F2P game to me that they'll be asking $60 for.

Wonder if it's gotten any better.

The grfx are the least it;s problems, I thought they looked pretty good. It's CryEngine.

No idea if it's a known issue but playing as the Support, at the end of the match it said I shielded 0 damage but that can't be true because I was shielding my teammates constantly. Even exhausted a full shield on my Assault teammate at one point.

Also I hate Val's sniper rifle. The game's too chaotic to be accurate with that thing.

The game is pretty fun, but I don't know if it will have any real staying power. I'm already bored with it after about 11 games. I'd rather be playing Sunset right now tbh.

Also, for those interested in the performance. I've experienced frame dips on 3 occasions already. Keep in mind though that they were very brief and the game isn't releasing until February so there's plenty of time to rectify it.

I'll try out the support and medic though because I've only played as the trapper, assault and monster so far. I will say though that the game is really great and very chaotic when the monster evolves to level 3, but that has only happened twice so far. The monster at the earlier levels is too weak to be a real threat.

Overall, I see this as more of a bargain bin title and most people will stick to Halo/CoD/BF/CS as their mainstays.

hypotc

I didn't know there was a PC alpha! I would be all over that if I had a key.

Anyone know how you get a PC key? Or am I too late?

Top Bottom