• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Big Alpha Impressions/bugs/glitches thread

Rembrandt

Banned
Very fun from the two games I've played. I thought the monsters might be OP, but we've managed to wreck them pretty easily. Haven't had a chance to play as the monster yet, though.

The monster can recover health by eating other animals, right?

Also, I have four friends with the Alpha. Will it be easy for us to all get in a game together?

majik13

Didn't know there was an impressions thread.

Played two matches as the monster. First match was quick as I died in stage 2 getting the hang of the game. The second match was much better. Lasted about 20 minutes. I got to stage 3 and that opened up to destroy the relay. I got about halfway in destroying it before the hunters caught up with me. In that time it was basically cat and mouse. I managed to permanently kill two of the hunters.Funnest time of the match is when I angered a monster that looked like the stage 1 version of what you start out with while the hunters were chasing me. They must have thought it was me because they threw up the arena net around that monster by accident and this allowed me to evolve into stage 3. I eventually died because my health was down and it doesn't seem like you can recoup it, just your shield level.

Monsters are going to use their mini map a lot. The game runs smooth enough but can get very confusing when you're in close with the hunters and probably vice versa. Played two maps and they were fairly large with varying degrees of vertical traversal.

I thought eating animals recovered health, or is that only sheilds? Is there any special perks or drops that bring back health?

Just played my first two matches as a monster. Really unique and fun experience and I think it's when the game is at its best, especially when you're given the opportunity to evolve and become the hunter instead of the hunted.

Just some recommendations for people that are new to the monster. Take leap smash, fire breath and charge at the start. As you evolve max out leap smash and fire breath as those are the absolute best offensive abilities from my experience. Charge is great for fleeing in the beginning and then for closing gaps while on offense. I usually just put one point in rock throw just to have it but I've found it to be really ineffective so far.

Curious to see what other people find effective for monster builds though.

The game is pretty fun, but I don't know if it will have any real staying power. I'm already bored with it after about 11 games. I'd rather be playing Sunset right now tbh.

Also, for those interested in the performance. I've experienced frame dips on 3 occasions already. Keep in mind though that they were very brief and the game isn't releasing until February so there's plenty of time to rectify it.

Is this game 30 or 60fps? I'm asking because I'm curious and hopefully, this won't end up on thread derailment.
Please don't derail the thread guys, I just want to ask this :(

Searching alone gives me no problem, but it 100% isn't working when trying to join or invite friends in lobbies.

I've only managed to play with a friend once when I joined them in progress, another time they coincidentally found my game that had an open slot.

Come on TurtleRock / 2k.

Is this game 30 or 60fps? I'm asking because I'm curious and hopefully, this won't end up on thread derailment.
Please don't derail the thread guys, I just want to ask this :(

Turtle Rock aiming for 60fps across all platforms, which is part of the reason why they didn't go cross-gen. I haven't played today to get a feel of where they are sitting at in whatever build this 'Alpha' is however.

Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow on PC (what time would it unlock CET?).

I predict though I won't enjoy it all that much, there doesnt seem to be enough there to keep me entertained.

Is it totally random as to what class you get and who gets to be the monster? Seems like if you could choose that you want to be the monster or you want to be the medic, that could definitely take a very long time to match other players.

Etnos

Banned
Took me like 10 mins to get into a game, I can't really comment on gameplay so far. I have to say positively surprised they are using a super wide FOV, I rarely see this on consoles and IMO makes first person games so much better.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
How to unlock Kraken.

QCj8ek8.png

Phreaker

I felt like an idiot my first game. haha. I was put on the team as medic. I don't mind playing healer, when I know what I am doing. :) I seemed to do okay with the heal gun until we ran into the monster. We wiped, I sucked.

Edit: I had no problems finding a game right away and the play experience was smooth, no technical issues

Mugatu

I got into a game as soon as I tried and it was pretty fun. I would have liked more standard controls for switching weapons but these aren't really bad at all.

Fun game but it was difficult to figure out what was going on, I kept trying to shoot out "dog" thinking it was the phase 1 monster.

The game is pretty fun, but I don't know if it will have any real staying power. I'm already bored with it after about 11 games. I'd rather be playing Sunset right now tbh.

Yeah I feel the same way, I'm only 4 games under my built and can't see this game with much staying power.

After playing this game some more it has one huge problem. If the person playing as the monster is utterly terrible it is boring as fudge.

Klocker

played two games so far xbox, really digging it so far (assault)

feels creepy and fun as team based monster hunting.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I played one match, and found myself lost. I don't know man. Will see how it goes. Its so damn confusing, switching weapons and apparently I was switching class while playing? what happens from D-pad? something changes, I just don't know what. I couldn't tell wtf was going on. btw weapons felt terrible.

Are there any in depth guides for this online? Game seems very confusing and too straight forward for me to be understanding it correctly. Everyone I've played with is equally as confused.

Camjo-Z

I was excited to try this out since I'm a big L4D fan but I really don't know what they're going for here. Every match follows the same dull formula.

1. Spend 5 hours getting into a game

2. "Track" the monster (This could have been an interesting concept if it wasn't so dumbed down a toddler could do it. "What's that, Johnson? Make the players keep an eye out for footprints and scattering birds? Sounds like that might actually pose a challenge, let's just make the tracks glow bright blue and have huge HUD notifications pop up instead!")

3. Spend roughly 2 minutes fighting until one side is dead/runs away

4. Repeat

The actual combat is fine, I enjoyed playing as the Medic, but it takes so damn long to get to it.

Probably the biggest negative/complaint I have is the load times. They're absolutely terrible. Definitely has to be something they iron out before release.

Edit: Seems like servers crashed.

Klocker

playing with headphones is really cool.

and i suck as the monster, the players I was against as assault were much better than me. may take time to get good at monster.

games are more fun with a good monster

mbmonk

Is there a thread for getting parties together? I can't handle playing with randoms who, understandably, don't know how to play as the trapper. The game isn't a lot of fun when you can't find the monster and he is leveling up.

blakep267

I just got home and turned it on. First off, there were no tutorials or control guides what so ever. I had no idea wha I was doing. They put me as the monster. And first it was hard to get away from them and eat at the same time. So we ran around for a little bit and then I had eaten enough to be able to evolve but couldn't get any free time. Once I was able to evolve to level 2 it was pretty much a wrap. I just crushed them.

Its a cool game, but like l4d, I don't really see it as being worth $60

Rocketz

Played 3 matches so far.

1st match: Goliath. I wanted to get ahold of the monster as soon as I could. Found player pretty quick but load times seem really long. Then the tutorial video which took even longer. The monster definitely has a learning curve to it when getting in the game. Maybe it's because I didn't know controls yet. I kept mixing up the moves. Leaping and climbing is your best friend. Made it to stage 3 by running away from encounters when I had my chance and hiding. Build that armour. I don't know if I ran out of time or I actually died but I had half of the generator destroyed before the match ended.

Next match: Medic
A lot of fun to play her. Don't expect to be the one doing a lot of damage. Dart is great to mark the enemy and to slow it down. I think we took out the monster before he even ranked up.

3rd match: Assault
Basic assault character. Has a lighting gun for close range and chain kills and a assault rifle for farther encounters. Weird thing happened with like 30 seconds to go in the match. Somehow I all of a sudden changed to the trapper class. I don't know what happened.

First impressions it's a fun game, need to play more to get a better feel for it though. Can I say it's a run out and buy day one? Ehhhhh still kinda up in the air. Very cool feature of after the match it shows everyone's movement on a map throughout the game. A very neat addition.

Bumping this for visibility, as it seems most people don't know there is an impressions thread.

Currently downloading on PS4, looking forward to trying it today.

Mutombo

I just got home and turned it on. First off, there were no tutorials or control guides what so ever. I had no idea wha I was doing. They put me as the monster. And first it was hard to get away from them and eat at the same time. So we ran around for a little bit and then I had eaten enough to be able to evolve but couldn't get any free time. Once I was able to evolve to level 2 it was pretty much a wrap. I just crushed them.

Its a cool game, but like l4d, I don't really see it as being worth $60

Not sure how L4D counts as a discount game for you, haven't played it that much (my little brother has spent HOURS and HOURS on it) but even so I'd say it's worth the price.

Especially L4D2, which also features the levels of L4D1(!)

I like well thought out multiplayer experiences. Singleplayer often counts as a fleshed out tutorial before you start the 'real' game anyway, which is often the competitive multiplayer.

I wonder if 2K games is just server testing or also listening to player feedback; making traversal times better; give a hardcore mode where 'tracking' does not include glowing footprints; etc.

PrinceKee

Really wish this game had a tutorial or some controls during the ridiculous loading time. I played last night and was the Monster my first 2 games and had no idea what I was doing. I was killed in under 4 mins both times. I didn't know how to eat or evolve or how to track the hunters. My next 3 games I was assault and medic and it was a little better. I was more comfortable with the controls and what to do, but still didn't know what my abilities wore. Like what does a mine or trap do or how do I heal myself and my squad. I had fun with it and can't wait to play more this weekend, but the beta needs a tutorial. Is there a control list anywhere or even better a video on YouTube showing how to play?

Tawpgun

I need to play more and with friends. Played 2 rounds so far. One as Trapper and one as Assault.

So far I think its kinda meh. The gunplay is very boring. I get that the player boss is gonna be a bullet sponge, but there doesn't seem to be any weak spots or interesting ways to do damage to him.

Even the wildlife are bullet sponges. The guns just don't feel satisfying to use at all. Hit detection with the monster attacks is wonky too.

All in all, so far I had a lot more fun playing L4D.

3rd match: Assault
Basic assault character. Has a lighting gun for close range and chain kills and a assault rifle for farther encounters. Weird thing happened with like 30 seconds to go in the match. Somehow I all of a sudden changed to the trapper class. I don't know what happened.

i think you can switch classes if its too an ai controlled one.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Im all about the Kraken. Fun as hell to play. I wish I could hear the hunters as I know it has to be a little frustrating to play against lol.

Top Bottom