• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Klyka

Banned
From watching on Twitch it seems like most of the game is either running after the monster if you're the hunters or running away from the hunters if you're the monster. Seems like it would get old fast.

It might seem like that but when you actually play for yourself you'll see there is a lot more to it.
Especially the "run away from the hunters" bit takes a lot more skill in the game than you think and the hunters with a bit of experience and using their tools/instincts can really track a monster down proper and fast.

derFeef

It might seem like that but when you actually play for yourself you'll see there is a lot more to it.
Especially the "run away from the hunters" bit takes a lot more skill in the game than you think and the hunters with a bit of experience and using their tools/instincts can really track a monster down proper and fast.

So it can be pretty frustrating to play against a skilled group of players I guess. Hm.

Klyka

Banned
So it can be pretty frustrating to play against a skilled group of players I guess. Hm.

oh man can it ever.
The thing with being the monster is that you are on your own. Sure you can use the AI monsters to help you a bit but even they attack you if there are no hunters around.
So when you lose, you lose cause it was your fault.
If you lose as the hunters you can always go "oh medic was bad" or "eh these guys sucked". As the monster YOU sucked and the hunters were better.

It is, at least to me, hella daunting to be monster.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
From watching on Twitch it seems like most of the game is either running after the monster if you're the hunters or running away from the hunters if you're the monster. Seems like it would get old fast.

That's how some matches go, but it can go in a very different direction for different players/situations, in good hunter matches you can cut the monster off from running so you can straight-on confront it, it can be a smart move sometimes to chip away the hunters/monsters health before the final confrontation, the monster needs to down a player to make them perma-lose a bit of their max health, the players need to wittle the monsters health as while get gets more health whenever the monster evolves, it never gains the lost health back. How the matches go can actually vary greatly on how the hunters work together and how the monster decides to play his game.

I'll mention when I'm playing later in stream here, I usually don't but most of us have experience from the beta and I play with friends and those kind of matches can go very different than when playing with randoms.

BuddyL33

Neo Member
I'm curious if 2K went through with us having to pre-order to get the 3rd monster for free. I didn't pre-order and I am wondering what I will find when I get home, install, and run the game?

Klyka

Banned
I'm curious if 2K went through with us having to pre-order to get the 3rd monster for free. I didn't pre-order and I am wondering what I will find when I get home, install, and run the game?

uh, it was always about the fourth monster, behemoth, which won't be out for ages.

When you get home,you get the game. You get 3 monsters (Goliath, kraken and Wraith) and you get 12 hunters.

mbmonk

At my current very low level of understanding about Evolve's core mechanics, that is what I tend to see & believe how the game suggests it should be played. Maybe others can help me understand how the game can and should be more dynamic than I am perceiving it.

So in my mind, the monster is the only entity who permanently grows stronger as time ( actually time & ability to eat & evolve ) goes on. The hunters cannot permanently increase their abilities or skills during a match. To my knowledge the best they can do is get temporary boosts.

Since permanent growth is a one way street in the game mechanics, monster only, the first part of the game is always going to have to be the monster being weaker and thus evading & running.

So if I am playing as the monster, why wouldn't I wait to engage the hunters as long as possible? Since I get permanently more powerful while the enemy stays at the same strength?

I played the Alpha & the beta, but I don't pretend I was good at it or understand the subtleties of the game. It was just my initial impressions when playing.

Anyone care to weigh on this?

ship it

I played it for 3 hours last night. I wasn't feeling it during the last beta and a lot of the players were running around trying to figure stuff out, but it was still pretty fun when it worked.

There is too much downtime before and after a match, and I don't really like the multiple progression bars after a match.

PS4 version ran pretty good. I think I got screwed on the preorder DLC though :(

At my current very low level of understanding about Evolve's core mechanics, that is what I tend to see & believe how the game suggests it should be played. Maybe others can help me understand how the game can and should be more dynamic than I am perceiving it.

So in my mind, the monster is the only entity who permanently grows stronger as time ( actually time & ability to eat & evolve ) goes on. The hunters cannot permanently increase their abilities or skills during a match. To my knowledge the best they can do is get temporary boosts.

Since permanent growth is a one way street in the game mechanics, monster only, the first part of the game is always going to have to be the monster being weaker and thus evading & running.

So if I am playing as the monster, why wouldn't I wait to engage the hunters as long as possible? Since I get permanently more powerful while the enemy stays at the same strength?

I played the Alpha & the beta, but I don't pretend I was good at it or understand the subtleties of the game. It was just my initial impressions when playing.

of course you would want to delay any encounters, which is why there are multiple ways to track them plus environmental tells. I've had monsters at level 1 beat an entire team (that team sucked), so its up to the monster to pick and choose when the best time is.

otherwise they might get dome'd, or harpooned, etc.

Klyka

Banned

So in my mind, the monster is the only entity who permanently grows strong as time ( actually time & ability to eat & evolve ) goes on. The hunters cannot permanently increase their abilities or skills. To my knowledge the best they can do is get temporary boosts.

Ok so, as the monster it is usually (not 100%, depends on situation/player) the norm to not engage the hunters at stage 1 cause a COMPETENT (emphasis here) team of hunters is stronger than a stage 1 monster. The monster could get a buff that might balance it out a bit but the hunters could also get a buff that puts them even more above the monster. So yes, stage 1 of the monster involves it trying to feed and evolve as quickly,smoothly and stealthily as possible. This is the absolute tracking phase for the hunters and they need to be on it like hounds. Sniff the monster out, cut off it's paths and trap it do deal as much damage this early as you can.

Once the monster gets to stage 2, things change. A monster at stage 2 with full armor is basically equal to the hunter team. again, buffs may apply, yadda yadda. Whoever gets caught in the worse situation here can lose the game or take some very heavy, often times game deciding damage.
Now, many monster players like to get to full armor on stage 2 and then attack the hunters in a favorable position. Why? Because if the hunters don't have Lazarus (important!) the monster wants to deal strikes to the hunters or even take 1 or two of them out before it evolves to stage 3, since stage 3 gets rid of all it's armor again.
Again,this is player dependent, but many of them do it.

At stage 3, the monster basically gets full armor and jumps on the hunters and depending how much damage the hunters managed to deal beforehand, they can take it down, have a crazy hard fight or straight up lose.
The monster at stage 3 is frightening.

Mask

Should have this showing up in the post tomorrow, ordered it a bit late and it only got sent today..

Add me on PSN if you want, Splatternick, I have a mic.

I like to attack at stage 1 once I gain full armor to gauge the team's ability and because I don't like wasting the armor when you evolve.
Pulling off a stage 1 wipe is an added bonus (if possible) :p

SpaceHorror

Quick question.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I seem to remember a trailer claiming you could switch between the hunters on the fly in single player...is that true? If yes, how do you do it?

Maybe I misheard, or there is a specific mode that allows this, but I remember it pretty clearly.

Klyka

Banned
Quick question.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I seem to remember a trailer claiming you could switch between the hunters on the fly in single player...is that true? If yes, how do you do it?

Maybe I misheard, or there is a specific mode that allows this, but I remember it pretty clearly.

Yes you can. Every bot can be taken over by a player. On PC the hunters are mapped to the buttons 5-8. It shows in the hunter menu on the bottom left.

Decent number of Xbox One folks in here so far. I've added everyone i saw up to this point.

My GT is SImpleCRIPPLE

Need to complete the hunter tutorial, but i'm looking forward to playing tonight after i do some nightfalls in Destiny

RS4-

Man, the hitboxes in this game and the AI.

I get incapped, Daisy is standing there right next to me, doesn't revive. And where I got incapped, is outside the doors of the power relay, and the monster is hitting me through the walls like 10 meters out.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Question SteamGAF, just bought Evolve on GMG and want to join the NeoGAF Steam Group, how does one gain an invite to said group? (NeoGAF main Steam community group).

mbmonk

of course you would want to delay any encounters, which is why there are multiple ways to track them plus environmental tells. I've had monsters at level 1 beat an entire team (that team sucked), so its up to the monster to pick and choose when the best time is.

otherwise they might get dome'd, or harpooned, etc.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Since in general it's advantageous for the monster to delay the encounter, that explains why much of the time I have played the game & the streams I have watch have been mostly this evade vs hunt mode of play. The combat interaction is much shorter. Which is fine, of course. But it explains why others view the game play as mostly running away as the monster & chasing as the hunters. Because is it :). I am wary of the mechanic being tiresome as well. Maybe the hunter character variations will limit that fatigue.

Ok so, as the monster it is usually (not 100%, depends on situation/player) the norm to not engage the hunters at stage 1 cause a COMPETENT (emphasis here) team of hunters is stronger than a stage 1 monster. The monster could get a buff that might balance it out a bit but the hunters could also get a buff that puts them even more above the monster. So yes, stage 1 of the monster involves it trying to feed and evolve as quickly,smoothly and stealthily as possible. This is the absolute tracking phase for the hunters and they need to be on it like hounds. Sniff the monster out, cut off it's paths and trap it do deal as much damage this early as you can.

Once the monster gets to stage 2, things change. A monster at stage 2 with full armor is basically equal to the hunter team. again, buffs may apply, yadda yadda. Whoever gets caught in the worse situation here can lose the game or take some very heavy, often times game deciding damage.
Now, many monster players like to get to full armor on stage 2 and then attack the hunters in a favorable position. Why? Because if the hunters don't have Lazarus (important!) the monster wants to deal strikes to the hunters or even take 1 or two of them out before it evolves to stage 3, since stage 3 gets rid of all it's armor again.
Again,this is player dependent, but many of them do it.

At stage 3, the monster basically gets full armor and jumps on the hunters and depending how much damage the hunters managed to deal beforehand, they can take it down, have a crazy hard fight or straight up lose.
The monster at stage 3 is frightening.

Thank you as well for replying. That makes sense. To me it seems like the monster, if it can, avoid attacking at level 2 and wait until being fully powered & armored at level 3 is a better move. The one nagging thought in my head is once the monster is at level 3 the hunters will then go to defend the generator. At that point they can really prep the environment around the generator ( lay land mines, harpoon traps, get into elevated positions, create a plan etc. ). So as a monster at level 2 it might be more advantageous to engage them when the hunters are moving and have to co-ordinate on the fly versus the monster at level 3 having to attacking into a prepared position.

I don't know. I was terrible at the game in the beta & alpha. So I obviously don't have a proper grasp on the games mechanics.:)

Skyzard

Banned
Lazarus is really damn good due to his glove bypassing health strikes. Those are something you might recognize more as you play more games, being incapacitated and having a permanent hit to your HP pool ends up being a pretty huge deal.

But yeah, Val's tranq gun is amazing and it always sucks to not have it.

Yeah you die so quick afterwards, keep forgetting he has some weird revives. Will try him out some more and just hope we don't get wraith - who I try to always keep tranq'd.

Klyka

Banned
Yeah you die so quick afterwards, keep forgetting he has some weird revives. Will try him out some more and just hope we don't get wraith - who I try to always keep tranq'd.

Wraith is a bitch but really all you need to do is spread out. All her attacks do AOE so once you derive her of that, her health drops fast. Everyone who can dps should be dpsing her if their other abilities are not needed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Since in general it's advantageous for the monster to delay the encounter, that explains why much of the time I have played the game & the streams I have watch have been mostly this evade vs hunt mode of play. The combat interaction is much shorter. Which is fine, of course. But it explains why others view the game play as mostly running away as the monster & chasing as the hunters. Because is it :). I am wary of the mechanic being tiresome as well. Maybe the hunter character variations will limit that fatigue.

Thank you as well for replying. That makes sense. To me it seems like the monster, if it can, avoid attacking at level 2 and wait until being fully powered & armored at level 3 is a better move. The one nagging thought in my head is once the monster is at level 3 the hunters will then go to defend the generator. At that point they can really prep the environment around the generator ( lay land mines, harpoon traps, get into elevated positions, create a plan etc. ). So as a monster at level 2 it might be more advantageous to engage them when the hunters are moving and have to co-ordinate on the fly versus the monster at level 3 having to attacking into a prepared position.

I don't know. I was terrible at the game in the beta & alpha. So I obviously don't have a proper grasp on the games mechanics.:)

I'm on my phone so I won't go in much detail but the monster should engage at 2. They really want to get incaps on hunters so make the strikes stack up so they all have less HP to work eith. You are right where waiting for level 3 makes them all camp the relay and plant traps, being ready for you--and at that point if a fight goes south you have to run for more armor and the clock comes into play.

I think monster's are a little too run happy but it should change as people learn more. They waste so much armor otherwise. Strikes are huuuuge and a big win for the monster if he gets any in a fight, much like it's a win for the hunters to do actual health damage.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
There are so many little things to take into account in this game... Like if you really want to be smart as a Monster, you can turn just about the entire landscape into your weapon. I just charged at this guy who was over-reliant on Daisy, but when I did - it happened to knock the Assault off the cliff entirely and threw their Support into a man-eating plant. Medic chose to save the Support instead of climbing back up the wall to fight me alongside the Trapper.

Not a 'wrong' move, at all. Easily killed killed Trapper and Daisy without breaking a sweat and put a TON of distance between myself and their group.

One thing I'm noticing right now is that people are terrible at hitting the painted weak-spots that Medics put up.

ship it

I can see that being a valid concern. One thing I noticed is how the pacing changes as people become more aware of their roles and options, almost like a fighting game.

I think knowing when and how to break in and out of those chase moments will be something that goes back and forth as the game progresses.

Klyka

Banned
There are so many little things to take into account in this game... Like if you really want to be smart as a Monster, you can turn just about the entire landscape into your weapon. I just charged at this guy who was over-reliant on Daisy, but when I did - it happened to knock the Assault off the cliff entirely and threw their Support into a man-eating plant. Medic chose to save the Support instead of climbing back up the wall to fight me alongside the Trapper.

Not a 'wrong' move, at all. Easily killed killed Trapper and Daisy without breaking a sweat and put a TON of distance between myself and their group.

One thing I'm noticing right now is that people are terrible at hitting the painted weak-spots that Medics put up.

As monster I always try to fight close to other wildlife,especially the bigger ones. A megamouth/dunebeetle/tyrant coming at the hunters while they focus on you? invaluable.

So anybody that got their hands on a physical copy...how does the pre-order monster work? is there a code in the case? Or was the code on your receipt?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

For extra hilarity, when you see tyrants(the big water dwellers), slow down a bit and intentionally get caught. If you fight near one it'll come out and grab a hunter, splitting the team focus hard.

I've noticed Trappers are way too dome happy even if you fight in an area where the hunters really don't want to fight. Something people will improve on over time I guess.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
As monster I always try to fight close to other wildlife,especially the bigger ones. A megamouth/dunebeetle/tyrant coming at the hunters while they focus on you? invaluable.
Yeah, its still early in the game's life but Monster's don't realize how much they set the tone. Hunters never retreat from what I've seen. Groups just don't seem to know how. I've seen a couple of groups try and drag a fight elsewhere a bit, but most of the time if you can start a fight in a highly advantageous area you can be sure that the game is going to end there because Hunters don't know how to fold a bad hand.

For extra hilarity, when you see tyrants(the big water dwellers), slow down a bit and intentionally get caught. If you fight near one it'll come out and grab a hunter, splitting the team focus hard.

I've noticed Trappers are way too dome happy even if you fight in an area where the hunters really don't want to fight. Something people will improve on over time I guess.
Yeah... That's one of the things that really irked me when I first started playing. Bad domes are worse than bad Medics. If there's one class that should know the landscape and map better than anyone else, it should be your Trapper. Knowing how to harpoon properly is a big deal too.

Another thing - Hunters should fly more. High ground is a massive advantage in itself by strafing Monsters from the sky changes everything. Its worth losing your ability to (hopefully lol) dodge attacks on the ground.

Timeaisis

I'm so on the fence going for this right now. I don't have an issue spending $60 on a multiplayer only game if it's good, I've just heard mixed things.

Top Bottom