• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

zugzug

PC Version, its crashing my VLC Player twice now.

Also two times I've loaded into Evolution it matched me into already started matches first I've loaded up the game just completed the tutorial with Monster, then I choose my 5 choices of which classes I'd like to play first time I load into a multiplayer match with other people it gives me my 5th choice :p

then it crashes on load of next map 3 of us could talk thru in game but just map loading screen for more than 1 minute, so alt f4 restart client queue up for matchmaking I get my 4th choice Kraken monster which I've never even played a match of monster on release yet . so Clearly the guy quit the match or was dropped or afk'ed whatever....point is it loaded me into a match giving me my 4th choice.

I understand it prolly didn't save my info from first match cuz of crash but to do this twice 5th and 4th choice when you first start the game.

Priorties are on matchmaking are clear.

This game needs to take after TitanFall a bit in terms of "out of the box" modes that challenge that the game sets out to be.
In titanfall you for example had all-Pilor or all-Titan modes, and similarly I wouldn't mind seeing a mode in Evolve where you're just playing Deathmatch with the Hunters - or a Deathmatch mode where everyone is a Monster.

They already have the assets, and it would be a slightly different kind of mode which would help make the game feel slightly more diverse.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Hank is the absolute man so much fun multitasking between shielding allies and shredding the monster.

Absolutely. The orbital damage and the gun he have are wonderful against the monster. And the invisibility. For me in the perfect character.

I wonder when Behemoth will be downloadable.

This game needs to take after TitanFall a bit in terms of "out of the box" modes that challenge that the game sets out to be.
In titanfall you for example had all-Pilor or all-Titan modes, and similarly I wouldn't mind seeing a mode in Evolve where you're just playing Deathmatch with the Hunters - or a Deathmatch mode where everyone is a Monster.

I have hopes for their planned free content.

Oh man just had the closest game ever as Kraken. Level 3 with 1 bar of health, I managed to lure them away and divide and conquer. The rage in the lobby was glorious.

Really wish there was a way to view replays on a browser like on the mobile app.

Getting used to the Kraken is tough, got fucking smashed the first time around. Flight controls feel weird and it makes everything chaotic. Got to practice though!

I have a hard time understanding why so many people are having a hard time with Cosmetic DLC

CoD has weapon skins and no one bats and eyelash, it should not hinder a normal person in any way shape or form because its purely optional, you can play with and against people with stuff you don't have, it's going around as well that you can join matches that have started with a character you don't own if the person who was playing as them dropped.

Until today, we didn't know how many skins and at what price they sell.

The problem is that every single thing 2K is selling is overpriced. $7.50 a Hunter. $15 for a monster (+ 1 skin). $25(?) season pass that would normally be a decent price except for that it's for a single DLC drop (Tier 4 Hunters) instead of the usual 3 or more. All of that on top of the skins now revealed to be costing $6-7, which is nearly double of that of your COD example and offers less customization than it.

And sure, it's all optional. I'm not one of the lackwits running around the board with the cut content nonsense and that all DLC must be free like the maps and modes. But a lot of this DLC is meant to extend the life of the game. To keep people on board by continuing to put money in the slot to keep going. With prices like that, who the hell would want to opt-in?

It's fine to charge for DLC. But there's no excuse for these prices, and it just baffles me how someone can write that off. Just reads as a blind defense because of all the hyperbolic nonsense that's been thrown at this game.

They already have the assets, and it would be a slightly different kind of mode which would help make the game feel slightly more diverse.

I'm sure there will be at least the monster only mode. The hunters aren't really designed to fight each other at all, so I wouldn't expect any sort of hunter vs hunter mode.

Would also be cool to get some horde mode in there, and maybe some fun L4D throwback stuff.

Durden77

Dammmmmmit. I thought this game was coming out much later and didn't know which system I wanted to get it for, so I didn't pre-order. A 15$ pre-order bonus is pretty serious. Ugh.

Ibuki

Banned
I don't think I understand this game. I played one match and we got wrecked by this monster that was teleporting around.

I'm trying to get into another match but I've been waiting a while, not sure if anyone else is having that issue.

I don't think I understand this game. I played one match and we got wrecked by this monster that was teleporting around.

I'm trying to get into another match but I've been waiting a while, not sure if anyone else is having that issue.

i've literally never evolved to stage 2 during an actual match and I've played about 3 games as the monster. Won one despite being level 1 cause the hunters were so bad.

Anyway, lag really fucks my shit up this game. I'd be so far away from a bolder toss and Id still get hit/take damage as if it was a direct hit.

Ooo, that's rough having your first match against a Wraith. Goliath and Kraken are far easier to deal with when with a good team.

Ibuki

Banned
Ooo, that's rough having your first match against a Wraith. Goliath and Kraken are far easier to deal with when with a good team.

I'm going to give it another fair shot tomorrow. I feel like I can enjoy it, that match just left a bad taste in my mouth. I also might have 1 or 2 buddies to party up with tomorrow, which should make it a ton more enjoyable.

mollipen

Ibuki, this is a game that really loves or dies depending on the team you have. We've been playing it at the office for review, and each of us dedicated ourselves to one specific role (I the Medic). Early on, when we were still learning the game, it wasn't very fun. The more we played, the more we leaned our characters, the more we worked together as a cohesive team, the more enjoyment there was to get out of the game.

The problem's going to be who you get matched up with. If you get people who don't know the game, don't know what to do, don't know how to work together as a team, don't know how to play their roles, I think it's going to result in some REALLY terrible experiences for players. You really need to find three other players you gel with, and run with that.

Hello all. I was wondering, can I play another game while evole is on the downloading full game screen on ps4. Or do I got the leave the game running.

Lol, my mouse died in the middle of a match and I still won(had to run across the room, grab my xbox one controller, and plug it in). Maybe Evolve will get old but as of now just playing as the monster is exhilarating, especially when better players know how to work together to take you down.

Most people have no clue what they are doing. It's like they didn't watch the introduction sequence for their character.

If anyone in EU wants to play, add me. http://steamcommunity.com/id/zeknurn

Eh, it's not fair to judge in that fashion. Certain things require getting used to beyond the basic knowledge of button does this and that. Harpoons for instance take time getting used to in placement. Tranq and sniper rifle are a pain at first in comparison to the other guns. Trappers need to get used to the range and time delay of the arena.

But yeah, best to try and get together with people here or that you know.

I keep getting thrashed as the monster, but I'm getting a little better each match ... I'm having more fun with it than I did in the beta, so that's a good thing.

deoee

I hated the Trapper in the beta.

Now I have so much fun with Maggie, it's crazy:D

Can't wait to unlock the other two.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
medic life is hard :(

Medic is so damn stressful in this game but I love using them. Excited to try Caira finally, though it'll be hard to get me to stop using Lazarus.

Eh, it's not fair to judge in that fashion. Certain things require getting used to beyond the basic knowledge of button does this and that. Harpoons for instance take time getting used to in placement. Tranq and sniper rifle are a pain at first in comparison to the other guns. Trappers need to get used to the range and time delay of the arena.

Yeah, it'll take a bit just to get used to the game in general before people start getting used to specific classes. That's one of the reasons I tried to put a few tips for each individual hunter/monster in the OT, but ultimately it can be hard to integrate certain things into actual play without understanding the underlying mechanics more.

sjay1994

Looking on the Steam page is there a way for you to buy the game and still get the pre order bonus?

Nope.

Not only that, but on the Canadian PSN, the game was 59.99 if you pre ordered and you get the DLC.

Now its 69.99 with no dlc.

This DLC pricing for this game is fucking egregious.

15 bucks for a monster?

7 bucks for 3 skins?

Its crazy.

deoee

Nope.

Not only that, but on the Canadian PSN, the game was 59.99 if you pre ordered and you get the DLC.

15 bucks for a monster?

7 bucks for 3 skins?

Its crazy.

Don't buy dlc then? :3

Ibuki, this is a game that really loves or dies depending on the team you have. We've been playing it at the office for review, and each of us dedicated ourselves to one specific role (I the Medic). Early on, when we were still learning the game, it wasn't very fun. The more we played, the more we leaned our characters, the more we worked together as a cohesive team, the more enjoyment there was to get out of the game.

The problem's going to be who you get matched up with. If you get people who don't know the game, don't know what to do, don't know how to work together as a team, don't know how to play their roles, I think it's going to result in some REALLY terrible experiences for players. You really need to find three other players you gel with, and run with that.

Sounds like the makings of what put me off from Destiny, although I'm sure that its gameplay should shine with great cooperation.

If you don't have mates to form a consistent squad with you can still get good at being the monster. I've almost unlocked the wraith which is exciting, the teleporting sounds like it could be fun to play with.

sjay1994

Don't buy dlc then? :3

I know... but missing out on a 15 dollar value bums me out. Not to mention saving 10 bucks and no tax.

Yes.... I am trying my hardest to save money.

Should have maybe put that extra money I had left from my bloodborne CE on this, instead of the order(we will see how that goes)

I don't make smart choices in the heat of the moment at a store.

tok9

I thought our data from the beta was supposed to be transferred to the full game? I booted it up quickly this morning to verify it had installed but noticed I had to do the tutorial and I was back to level 1.

Anyone else or was I just plain wrong and you start over again?

Papercuts

I thought our data from the beta was supposed to be transferred to the full game? I booted it up quickly this morning to verify it had installed but noticed I had to do the tutorial and I was back to level 1.

Anyone else or was I just plain wrong and you start over again?

I think the stuff that transfers is just unlocks. Not level/masteries.

Corpekata

Banned
Game is fun though I can see it getting a little frustrating for the hunters if the monster player is any good leading to a lot of matches of not doing a lot while trying to find it.

Kazdane

For some reason I'm unable to find the answer to this, and it's annoying me because the answer has to be somewhere obvious. Oh well. Can you play only as the monster? I like PVP but I generally dislike playing in teams and prefer going on my own.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Came here to say, brilliant, brilliant OT title.

Also, looking forward to this in a couple weeks: nice little lead up game to GTA Online PC :)

Came here to say, brilliant, brilliant OT title.

Also, looking forward to this in a couple weeks: nice little lead up game to GTA Online PC :)

ibx1OmUdl0eNdT.gif

Papercuts

For some reason I'm unable to find the answer to this, and it's annoying me because the answer has to be somewhere obvious. Oh well. Can you play only as the monster? I like PVP but I generally dislike playing in teams and prefer going on my own.

The game has you set preferences but there's no way to outright say do not put me as ___. Having monster at the top and other classes below it will make it try to keep giving you monster but it won't always happen.

deoee

I know... but missing out on a 15 dollar value bums me out. Not to mention saving 10 bucks and no tax.

Yes.... I am trying my hardest to save money.

Should have maybe put that extra money I had left from my bloodborne CE on this, instead of the order(we will see how that goes)

I don't make smart choices in the heat of the moment at a store.

I heard that people who bought at mmoga got two keys - one for the game and an extra for the pre-order dlc. maybe you can get this somehow later on?

Zeknurn

Yeah I managed to level up a few times and it's getting better now. However, I'm still getting rounds of where the Goliath gets stage 2 within 40 or so seconds and then completely wipes my team in one encounter. Mostly because retreating when low on hp is a tactic that seems strange to a lot of people.

Oddly enough we won a match of Evacuation even though we got completely wrecked in three rounds. If the post match screen didn't flash past so fast I probably could have figured out why.

Kazdane

The game has you set preferences but there's no way to outright say do not put me as ___. Having monster at the top and other classes below it will make it try to keep giving you monster but it won't always happen.

Oh I see. I guess I will pass then (especially if people expect others to use their mic while playing this on PC). Thanks! And congrats on the OT, really nice! :)

Klyka

Banned
Yeah I managed to level up a few times and it's getting better now. However, I'm still getting rounds of where the Goliath gets stage 2 within 40 or so seconds and then completely wipes my team in one encounter. Mostly because retreating when low on hp is a tactic that seems strange to a lot of people.

Oddly enough we won a match of Evacuation even though we got completely wrecked in three rounds. If the post match screen didn't flash past so fast I probably could have figured out why.

If you win the last round, you win the Evacuation. All the rounds before that just determine how hard/easy it is going to be in the final round and how much bonus XP you get.

Oh I see. I guess I will pass then (especially if people expect others to use their mic while playing this on PC). Thanks! And congrats on the OT, really nice! :)

If you don't get the monster, you can always just quit out and wait 1 minute and try again.

BlazinAm

Nope.

15 bucks for a monster?

7 bucks for 3 skins?

Its crazy.

The pricing doesn't bother me, I'm wondering if the higher tiers of the game offer the fourth monster.

chippie

Game is super fun.

All my games have ended with the monster being dominated really early though. Most people just try and fight the hunters at level 1 which doesn't end well..

Knowing the map layout is needed much more for the monster I think, especially before you evolve.

Realyn

Why is it so bad to leave the game in the lobby?

Because it makes other people wait after expecting the game to load up? Evolve's preference system is one of the fairest I've seen. Deal with it if you don't get your prefered role.

Top Bottom