• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

Zeknurn

If you win the last round, you win the Evacuation. All the rounds before that just determine how hard/easy it is going to be in the final round and how much bonus XP you get.

Ah that explains it. For some reason I thought it would be like W:ET were it would tally the scores at the end.

played a bunch with my boy Spoo tonight. We we're dominating with some friends

7WDu0rr.jpg

Klyka

Banned
It's a bit shit that the game gives away your slot instantly if you crash. I was having such a great time too.

it shouldn't actually. Normally it holds the slot for at least 1 minute

Also I ran into my first monster who disconnected before we killed him, dropping the game entirely :(

So far I have also killed 3 wraiths :D

And I played Goliath a bit. Slowly getting better. I had a team of hunters run past me 5 times by hiding in a bush/a little water hole and just crouching down :D

Klyka

Banned
Wait, there is no AI that takes over the Monster when player drops? That seems... shit.

No no, it does. But a lot of the times, the monster player is the host and I remember from the beta that when the host disconnects in a weird way, the game sometimes can't get a new host and it just times out and boots you to main menu

Semper88

Getting this tonight! anyone wanna join me on PS4 tonight (psn Semperfi-NL).

I hope its great, always wanted a new kind of left 4 dead.

zugzug

PC Matchmaking can eat a full on bag of rocks.

I've played more as my 4th and 5th choice than anything else.

I got a new error was playing Evacuation, got my 4th choice Monster again....so I play first round and suck at it again get caught before first evolve fight it out die fine fine legit attempt. Second round I'm monster AGAIN no one responds in selection to change it with me I decide to afk round let bot play but then it tells me if you afk/take a break to long it will still kick you so after like 2 minutes of letting bot play the hunters catch up to the bot monster I'm watching screen I take over before it starts doing damage to them they win, 3rd round loads i even type out someone switch with me no response, no telling me they are a 4 man group or anything so that is why they couldn't switch with me. This time I just sit there dont' even move from spawn/drop point wait what 15/20 seconds for hunters to drop down they kill me I'm just tap dancing left and right not attempting to attack and they are full on attacking me like I'm resisting trapper drops dome and keeps throwing tethers on me I find it funny. They win 3minutes 36seconds. Next round loads again I type out someone switch no response, there is 4 other players not bots I can see their names. Map loads fully I sit there for like 45 seconds moving so I'm not afk....but then suddenly I'm disconnected telling me steam has gone offline I need to be logged into steam to play. Trick is Steam never went offline.

I dont' know if you can votekick people from game but seriously day 1 blues, and full of regret.

Come on game at 12 matches played I've been my 4th and 5th choice I'd say 7 or 8 of those times. This is both me jumping into already started matches and fresh loading games.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Enjoying the game, which makes sense as I enjoyed the beta, and have friends to play the final game with. We only played a bit tonight as tired, but we played two rounds of each of the modes and got to try some of the new levels that weren't in the alpha/beta.

Few thoughts on things that differ from the beta:

-So, so, SO happy they increased the game dialogue options. Hearing the same things in the loading dock every time was something I was worried would get old, but seem to be far more now. The characters also on rare occasions will now say dialogue in the stages, which I'm not against. I've seen some conversations for when spotting the monster the first time, for playing on a certain stage, weather effects, etc., and like the cargo ship drop-off dialogue it seems to be affected sometimes if you have specific characters playing together. I know this is a minor thing, but it makes me happy as I actually enjoyed the character banter in the beta/alpha.

-Custom Mode is going to be a lot of fun, but I wish you could have more than one stage modifier. The modifiers include things like having the cargo ship use searchlights to hunt the monster, for there to be two monsters, for there to be vegetation the monster can eat, more birds, a new type of wildlife called the Phantom that can wreck hunters shit, etc. Their fun modifiers, but as of right now you can only turn on one, I'd love to mix and match. Also some fun broken options, like 15 second hunter respawn time or turning the wildlife onto high and super aggressive.

-Nest, Defend, and Rescue modes are all fun, with Nest being my current favorite after a couple rounds. Nest has the hunters destroying eggs and the monster feeding ad birthing the eggs to get mini-Goliaths to help it destroy the Hunters. If the Hunters are killed, the monster wins, if all the eggs/babies are killed, or the main monster, the Hunters win. It's a pretty fun mode. Defend is my second favorite, it has four unique maps that are not available for any other mode, the mode has it so that the monster with mini-monster companions go to try and destroy cores the hunters try to defend, each core destroyed unlocks the next part of the level and the next core to destroy, three cores in all. It's pretty fun, surprised they made unique maps for it, and the two maps we played were both pretty good. Rescue was the least favorite, but still fun. The Survivors you need to rescue can fight the monster too, but can also be eaten, which was fun,

-I hope somewhere in the future Nest, Defend, and Rescue modes will be available to play with randoms. Think locking them to just Custom Mode limits their use, and it'd be fun to play these with randoms.

-Interesting to see some changes with the characters and monsters, but the stages have seen some changes too. One thing noticeable off the bat is now there's some dead human bodies (which the monster can eat) scattered randomly at the start of the level, also maybe I just never knew this in the beta, but I never knew you could eat Hunters/Daisy once killed for more armor, or that the monster can stealth grab Hunters like it grabs regular monsters to get them in a trapped state like some monsters can do to Hunters.

-I love some of the new maps, my favorite map so far being that biodome map where you can go to different sections of the level and there's different seasons, like one part of the level it's snowing, one part is a green forest, etc.

Will be playing a lot more tomorrow, a lot more to do, having fun unlocking stuff with friends, we're going to try Evacuation tomorrow.

Klyka

Banned
-I love some of the new maps, my favorite map so far being that biodome map where you can go to different sections of the level and there's different seasons, like one part of the level it's snowing, one part is a green forest, etc.

Aviary.

That map is fantastic, I absolutely love it. So many places for the monster to hide, juke the hunters and go somewhere else.

Klyka

Banned
For those of you who are not sure about this game, Its almost unplayable with strangers.

Well "unplayable" is a bit too much. If they don't have mics it becomes a LOT harder.
If they have mics and you talk to them normally, it's just a normal game.

Dusk Golem

Aviary.

That map is fantastic, I absolutely love it. So many places for the monster to hide, juke the hunters and go somewhere else.

Yup, we only played for hour and a half/two hours and will play much more in-depth, haven't tried all the maps yet, but from what I've played, Aviary's my favorite.

Definitely be a lot more to dive into tomorrow. So far my biggest hope to come into a patch somewhat soon is the availability to play the other modes outside of Custom Match/Evacuation, as I think that will create more variety with randoms than just having Hunt as a random match-up mode.

stevivor

Didn't want to post this as a new thread (not that I could), as I wasn't sure it warranted it.

I'm of the belief that Evolve progress on Xbox One resets when moving between consoles.

I've replicated the issue across my three Xboxes numerous times tonight. I've identified the situation and the conditions that I've replicated here: http://stevivor.com/2015/02/evolve-p...iple-consoles/

There's also a video summarising the issue in the attached post that's currently uploading to YouTube.

Is there anyone else with multiple Xbox Ones that can confirm this issue?

Thanks!

(As redirected by this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=151418945&postcount=531 -- hopefully.)

Well "unplayable" is a bit too much. If they don't have mics it becomes a LOT harder.
If they have mics and you talk to them normally, it's just a normal game.

90% of people don't use the mics and I don't know why? :] I mean there is a free one in the console box why they don't use it? :] This game is all about teamwork

Woah woah woah.

They overpriced the hell out of the character content coming up, but are also starting the kick with a bunch of overpriced cosmetics too?

2K, what the hell are you thinking? Don't you want people to buy the DLC? Does the amount of content coming up make that pricing necessary?

I'm not one of those type of people that live in the fantasy of expecting DLC to be free, but I do expect it publishers to at least try and make the DLC attractive to a purchase with its price.

left4dead dlc was free,lol
I'm not one of these type of people that live in the fantasy of expecting DLC to cost what I think I should be paying for it though, if they wana charge 100 bucks for a hair pin cosmetic it's up to them.

phoenixyz

I just played my first two rounds (Monster). That was intense. I was surprised at how fucking hard it was to shake off the hunters and how short the dome cooldown is (although the trapper player probably thinks the opposite :D ). There were a few really tense sneaking moments were a hunter walked literally right past me when I was lurking in the shadows. I won the second match after evolving only a few meters from a hunter behind a stone pillar. The adrenaline rush when the fight turned in my favor and the hunters became the hunted was awesome.
I am already looking forward to playing hunters with a few friends tonight.

Wow, thanks for these impressions. I haven't heard about a lot of these new things, pretty excited to check out that map! For what it's worth, some maps did have random bodies scattered around in the beta but they may have upped that a bit since then. I have a feeling Nest will also be my favorite as it seems to encourage varied gameplay from both sides more than the other two.

Bah, I still have another 10 hours before I can play this. Happy to see people are enjoying their time with thus far though.

Lastly, a big boo to Papercuts for being an Xbox player. Bummer.

KdylanR92

Playing on Xboxone SugaredWharf369

Enjoying the support class very much, can't seem to get into assault, and hate being the monster

I'm not one of these type of people that live in the fantasy of expecting DLC to cost what I think I should be paying for it though, if they wana charge 100 bucks for a hair pin cosmetic it's up to them.

A lot has changed since L4D, just saying.

And it's not my expectation on what I'd personally pay. It's comparing it to what else is out there. When they're charging skins that in other games is generally $1.99-$3.99, or a single character is $7.50 to $15 cuz "F2P games do it" in a $60 game, there's issues.

If you don't give a damn, fine. But there's the problem.

Caayn

Well, after some doubt I decide to just do it and buy the game. The physical box for the PC version is very nice and I find it somewhat funny that the manual included is thicker than most manuals for consoles games this generation.

Downloading now.

CozMick

Banned
Good god the in-game voice chat is fucking horrendous, apart from that it's an excellent game.

I'll stick to party chat.

Can't stress enough how much this game depends on the people you're playing with.

I had a couple of absolutely awful sessions over the weekend when playing with trappers that couldn't keep up with the group or deploy the mobile arena in time, or worse, deployed it badly and then failed to manually bring it down even though the monster is galloping off outside. It's teeth-grindingly frustrating in those instances.

Conversely, I got randomly matched with a group of folks last night that were absolutely brilliant, and we were pitted against monster-players that were slippery, tricky bastards. The games were immense; real edge-of-your-seat stuff that came down to slivers of health, all sorts of misdirection (on both sides), using the terrain to cover movement and class skills in tandem for huge damage or last-ditch rescues.

And man, when it comes down to the end... dispersing yourselves around a generator to make that last stand, hearing the thud of approaching footsteps, the trees swaying in the distance, then sweating in an eerie silence before the monster breaks cover... it's incredibly atmospheric at times. Real Predator vibe going on.

So yeah, get a group together!

Feeroper

For multi-console owners, what is the concensus on the best performing version?

From the prior beta tests I know that the PS4 was supposed to have some more noticeable frame dips compared to the XB1, but the PS4 was also running at 1080p and the XB1 at 900p if i recall correctly.

Did the frame rate improve on the PS4 for those that have it? Id like to see the digital foundry verdict eventually, but that will be a little ways away.

It looks like most places were supplied PC and XB1 codes for the review copies that Ive seen thus far, so Im wondering if there is any issue with the PS4 version at all?

My main gripe with console performance is with frame drops, so Im torn on what version to get here.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dusk Golem

I'll chime in I agree greatly that this is the sort of game that is either made or not by the people you're playing with. A game with the wrong people can be seriously dull, unexciting, either painfully slow or stupidly quick, and lack any impact. With the right people, the game can be very tense, atmospheric, the action scene hectic and yet brilliant with much strategy, oh shit moments, alternating cat and mouse gameplay, and can be an absolutely brilliant multiplayer experience.

It's a hard game to rate or give full simple impressions on because of that, it's best if you find a crew you like and stick with them because then the game can be a downright blast. Without that, then the game can vary between good and bad matches. I also would say it's the kind of game that gets more fun the more you play it, as you start to understand how it all works better, get deeper character options, that sort of thing.

SaberVulcan

Still dont know if I want to get this... the DLC shenanigans is super shady...

Any improvements since the beta worth writing home about?

Vooduu

It's a hard game to rate or give full simple impressions on because of that, it's best if you find a crew you like and stick with them because then the game can be a downright blast. Without that, then the game can vary between good and bad matches. I also would say it's the kind of game that gets more fun the more you play it, as you start to understand how it all works better, get deeper character options, that sort of thing.

So if I have a couple of friends to play with, do you think this game will have any longevity?

After games like Destiny and MCC, I have a hard time putting out cash for a multiplayer game.

Still dont know if I want to get this... the DLC shenanigans is super shady...

Same here. Can't tell if the internet hivemind is just being bitchy or if the DLC add-ons are too much. Could be both..

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Not on 360, you had to pay for it

zugzug

Just explain to me if the matchmaking on Evacuation is matching 1 single player who has Monster at 4th or 5th choice with a group of 4 hunters....cuz then someone at Turtle ROck needs to be broken for allowing that shit to happen.

in 7 hours and 40 minutes worth of play not once did i get #3 choice, with 4th and 1st choice appearing most often for me. Only got 2nd choice once I think.

Brandwin

-I hope somewhere in the future Nest, Defend, and Rescue modes will be available to play with randoms. Think locking them to just Custom Mode limits their use, and it'd be fun to play these with randoms.

Wait, I can't play those modes with randoms? Nest seems like a mode if I was on a horrible team, we could still win.

Can you play with bots?

phoenixyz

Just explain to me if the matchmaking on Evacuation is matching 1 single player who has Monster at 4th or 5th choice with a group of 4 hunters....cuz then someone at Turtle ROck needs to be broken for allowing that shit to happen.

Well, if there are simply not enough monster players what is the matchmaking algorithm supposed to do?

jiggles

Banned
Hrm. So I bought the digital deluxe edition from PSN (US, because it's £20 cheaper) and I can't access any of the bonus materials from my main (UK) account. From what I can gather, it checks ownership of content via the PS Store, rather than installed unlock keys.

The issue for me is that it's trying to check the UK store for US items so it doesn't find anything and all the customisation options are greyed out. Which probably means I won't be able to access the bonus monster or season pass content on this account.

Bigger picture, though, is that this will imply that all DLC is account-locked, so each account will have to buy the content itself if you share your console with family members. Plus, if the store is ever down, you can't access your DLC.

in 7 hours and 40 minutes worth of play not once did i get #3 choice, with 4th and 1st choice appearing most often for me. Only got 2nd choice once I think.
So someone at TRS deserves to be broken? Classy

zugzug

make the 4 person group wait if your only option is to match someone who listed monster as 4th or 5th. Be honest here what possible chance would a person who made monster 4th of 5th have a chance against a group of four? Shouldn't the only time ever a single player gets matched against a 4 person team is when that single queing picks the monster 1st....or just maybe 2nd. Seems fairly obvious.

and Broadbandito get off your highhorse, its an example of really really stupidly made matchmaking.

Why have a 4th or 5th choice left, why isn't the 5th choice never make me that classs ever.

Common complaint about all matchmaking games, make the matchmaking better instead of make it throw 5 people into a game as fucking fast as possible so no one complains about wait times.

Beyond that one complaint a person could have about this game is...you spend more time in the loading screens and picking heroes or matching screens than you do playing....

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Sooooooo much fun!! I absolutely love this game. I've played about 10 matches. Came so close to winning with the monster but lost right at the end. I've seen the monster win two times. Hank is my main! I absolutely fucking suck as medic though damn lol. Ugh now I have work in 3 minutes. Hopefully there are some gaf games going tonight I can get in on.

A lot has changed since L4D, just saying.

And it's not my expectation on what I'd personally pay. It's comparing it to what else is out there. When they're charging skins that in other games is generally $1.99-$3.99, or a single character is $7.50 to $15 cuz "F2P games do it" in a $60 game, there's issues.

If you don't give a damn, fine. But there's the problem.

Still plenty of games out there with free content updates man. (like NS2, which also has mod support and launched at 20 euros and had more content at launch than this)
Just because you're being nickle and dimed and are willing to accept it does not mean you should also rationalise it. A wrong is a wrong.
People who grit and bear it because they just want to play games I can understand, people who rationalise what's happening and start shilling annoy me to no end.

Btw people pay 300 bucks for a spaceship in star citizen.

I think you have some weird logic and double standards.
If you don't give a damn about pre order dlc and cutting game content/releasing content light games to be filled out later with to be paid for DLC , fine. But there's a problem. It's a terrible precedent, it's fast approaching the point where you're paying for a shareware or demo version (full price, + being asked to preorder it blindly or you'll pay even more to get a full game alongside the other DLC)
bf1942 launched with a demo of 2 maps and all classes/weapons/vehicles/gameplay intact (that people played for months , longer than most people will play evolved ), now the equivalent is being sold as a game.

Not on 360, you had to pay for it
I know. You have to pay for multiplayer on 360 too, the garbage that happens in walled gardens is irrelevant. You could justify this DLC AND the pricing by saying it happens in mobile/browser games too that way.

Top Bottom