• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Stage 2 |OT| Redesigned, free 2 play, Very Frequent Updates [Support Ended]

Dreavus

LordRaptor

Okay, the new meteor stuff is pretty awful after a few games playing with it.

Its just constant particle spam everywhere continuously in a fight, with random knockbacks more often than not putting you right back into harms way after you jetpack dodged out of it.

Just really not fun at all. Does it add anything from the monsters perspective?

Klyka

Banned
Okay, the new meteor stuff is pretty awful after a few games playing with it.

Its just constant particle spam everywhere continuously in a fight, with random knockbacks more often than not putting you right back into harms way after you jetpack dodged out of it.

Just really not fun at all. Does it add anything from the monsters perspective?

The monster can camp the green ones and heal itself with them.

LordRaptor

As far as I am aware, red health.

That.... really seems like a thing that was not fully considered by the level designer, and if true is honestly surprising as its a pretty significant Monster buff.

Wow.
Well, it is a beta, but goodbye secret MMR whenever not enough map skip votes happen.

Dreavus

Yikes. I haven't tried it yet, but the hunters can't really afford to just take random damage like that. The entire fight often hinges on just barely surviving long enough for the monster to get hurt more than you do.

LordRaptor

I love it...meteors falling from the sky!...can't wait to try it later tonight

I think your enthusiasm for it as a monster player is going to vanish the first time a cabot insta-chunks most of your health away with his damage amplifier.

I appreciate TRs push for regular updates to maintain momentum, but... this is nowhere near ready for a public release. Very disappointing.

TitusTroy

I just played 2 matches on that new map variant of Orbital Drill...it's not bad...I like it...the new map is basically built around Quantum Caira's new abilities where meteors fall which either damage or heal you...you can see them before they fall based on the color (red or green)...pretty easy to avoid...only thing that's annoying is when it falls as you're feeding (or about to feed)...I just had an 8 game Monster (Gorgon) win streak snapped

TitusTroy

how can you view a player's level?...I thought it didn't show anymore but in the Lobby before a match I've gotten a few comments from people about being a Level 40 Gorgon...how do they know?

LordRaptor

how can you view a player's level?...I thought it didn't show anymore but in the Lobby before a match I've gotten a few comments from people about being a Level 40 Gorgon...how do they know?

Badge and skins still get shown, even if player levels don't anymore

TitusTroy

Badge and skins still get shown, even if player levels don't anymore

yeah but they wouldn't be able to tell I'm a Level 40 Monster from looking at my badge...the skin only shows once they see me in in a match...a few times people mentioned that in the Lobby before the match started

LordRaptor

yeah but they wouldn't be able to tell I'm a Level 40 Monster from looking at my badge...the skin only shows once they see me in in a match...a few times people mentioned that in the Lobby before the match started

Yeah, not your account badge customisation, your character badge / banner / standard.
It starts as like... an unmarked square and ends up as a black oval with gold trim and red insets

e:
axGRVhd.jpg

Because I just played a game with a pretty widespread of character levels so you can see the progression

TitusTroy

Yeah, not your account badge customisation, your character badge / banner / standard.
It starts as like... an unmarked square and ends up as a black oval with gold trim and red insets

Because I just played a game with a pretty widespread of character levels so you can see the progression

that must be it...I guess only max Level Monsters/Hunters get that crown on their character badge

TitusTroy

seems like the recent update to address 'leavers' hasn't really helped all that much...people are still leaving when they don't get their preferred roles (even with the bonus key incentive)

does Sunny's shield drones only protect the current person getting attacked?...it says it protects the last person attacked but what does that mean...so I can attack someone and move to another Hunter and the drone won't protect the new Hunter?

LordRaptor

The non-preferred role incentive dropped to like, 15 keys in the last patch, which isn't that great of an incentive all in all. Bribing people 150 keys was a band-aid that frankly caused its own problems, they need to actually sit down and really think through what the underlying causes of leavers are and how to address it.

I'm honestly not sure there is a solution that involves not allowing people to play in premade groups outside of customs or ranked tbh, but I don't think they'll be able to take that option as premade groups is such a vital part of the console multiplayer experience.

Sunny probably was my preferred support, but honestly, the nerfs to her shield drone activation time means your optimal strategy is to just destroy it when you see it planted, or if you miss the drop when you see someone being shielded - its fragile as hell, and even if your opponent is really paying attention, it has like, a 7 second warmup before it starts shielding anyone

Klyka

Banned
The non-preferred role incentive dropped to like, 15 keys in the last patch, which isn't that great of an incentive all in all. Bribing people 150 keys was a band-aid that frankly caused its own problems, they need to actually sit down and really think through what the underlying causes of leavers are and how to address it.

I'm honestly not sure there is a solution that involves not allowing people to play in premade groups outside of customs or ranked tbh, but I don't think they'll be able to take that option as premade groups is such a vital part of the console multiplayer experience.

Sunny probably was my preferred support, but honestly, the nerfs to her shield drone activation time means your optimal strategy is to just destroy it when you see it planted, or if you miss the drop when you see someone being shielded - its fragile as hell, and even if your opponent is really paying attention, it has like, a 7 second warmup before it starts shielding anyone

Once they got their own matchmaking system going,which will take a while longer, they can and absolutely should, put in different queues for each role. Every role needs it's own queue and then you just put teams together.

LordRaptor

Once they got their own matchmaking system going,which will take a while longer, they can and absolutely should, put in different queues for each role. Every role needs it's own queue and then you just put teams together.

Isn't that how ranked works already?
I tend not to try ranked modes until im familiar enough with the base game and done whatever necessary grinding is required for competitive builds (perks in Evolves case).

Its definitely premades being treated as a special case that screws the system, but if they don't treat premades as a special case people abuse it.
Its not like there are any roles sooooo unpopular that nobody wants them, AFAICS.

Klyka

Banned
Isn't that how ranked works already?
I tend not to try ranked modes until im familiar enough with the base game and done whatever necessary grinding is required for competitive builds (perks in Evolves case).

Its definitely premades being treated as a special case that screws the system, but if they don't treat premades as a special case people abuse it.
Its not like there are any roles sooooo unpopular that nobody wants them, AFAICS.

No ranked works by splitting hunters and monster queue but when you sign up for hunter it's still the preference stuff.
So even if you are preference medic, you might have to play support

LordRaptor

No ranked works by splitting hunters and monster queue but when you sign up for hunter it's still the preference stuff.
So even if you are preference medic, you might have to play support

Huh, that's surprising.
Given what ranked is and it inevitably requiring longer queue times, I would have assumed it differentiated roles, because a top tier medic is probably not also a top tier assault.

Klyka

Banned
what's the point of that new co-op vs AI mode?...is it just for pre-made teams to practice?

it's basically just for people who want to fight AI and just relax.
Many games have that kind of mode.

Not a lot of people like to constantly get stomped

TitusTroy

Lazarus is a little BS with his revive ability...I was right on top of the downed Hunter doing melee attacks and acid spits and Laz comes right up and still revives him almost completely ignoring my attacks

Remmy2112

Lazarus is a little BS with his revive ability...I was right on top of the downed Hunter doing melee attacks and acid spits and Laz comes right up and still revives him almost completely ignoring my attacks

That is what Lazarus does. He has no healing ability outside of his healing burst. His only advantage is to swoop in and insta-rez one person before it goes on cooldown. If you know a Laz is on the enemy team kill him first.

LordRaptor

I wouldn't sweat it too much, he can't heal the team for shit so if they have offensive supports (Cabot, Kala, Bucket) there's almost zero sustain and you should be able to out DPS them pretty easily (although Buckets ability cooldown might give you some grief).

The Cataclysm event is already more than a third of the way to hitting its targets with the whole weekend still to go, so it looks like we all get a cool goliath skin and old man logan Hyde :D

TitusTroy

I've been playing this game a ton since Stage 2 launched...it has its flaws but it's a crazy fun game...more people need to jump in and play (it's completely free!)...takes a bit to master all the different skills and perks but pretty soon you won't be able to stop...one of the best and most balanced asymmetrical games I've ever played

TitusTroy

is this a hacker?...a few times I've seen a player disconnect during a match but then a short while later he returns to the match...how is this possible?...how can you return to the same match you just left?...hacker?

Klyka

Banned
is this a hacker?...a few times I've seen a player disconnect during a match but then a short while later he returns to the match...how is this possible?...how can you return to the same match you just left?...hacker?

If your game crashes, when you go back into the the game in a certain time, it will tell you that you dropped and will ask if you want back in.

that's an old mechanic that wa sin the game since first Launch.

TitusTroy

If your game crashes, when you go back into the the game in a certain time, it will tell you that you dropped and will ask if you want back in.

I didn't know that...I've crashed a few times but maybe I didn't go back into the game fast enough

Gah, this game can be so frustrating. Was having an awesome game that went to stage 3 when our trapper decided to make a suicide run by himself into the monster instead of chilling at the reactor like everyone else.

TitusTroy

I swear some of the Hunters in my matches are hacking...sometimes they jetpack really high in the air and just hang in the air for a crazy long time...and then land and immediately jump up really high again...and sometimes they jump so high that they stay perched on some rock or building that is not possible to climb...there's no Hunter perk that allows you to jump and stay in the air for crazy long periods of time is there?

xezuru

I swear some of the Hunters in my matches are hacking...sometimes they jump really high in the air and just hang in the air for a crazy long time...and then land and immediately jump up really high again...and sometimes they jump so high that they stay perched on some rock or building that is not possible to climb...there's no Hunter perk that allows you to jump and stay in the air for crazy long periods of time is there?

People are going stacked fuel efficiency to air cheese because they nerfed every other hunter perk into oblivion so perk variety is pretty shit right now.

TitusTroy

People are going stacked fuel efficiency to air cheese because they nerfed every other hunter perk into oblivion so perk variety is pretty shit right now.

oh, so 3 levels of stacked fuel efficiency perks...as long as it's not hacking I'm fine with it...I stack a bunch of perks as the Monster as well

TitusTroy

my game just crashed and I went right back into the game and didn't get an option to go back into my match (playing as Monster)...does this only apply to Hunters?

my game just crashed and I went right back into the game and didn't get an option to go back into my match (playing as Monster)...does this only apply to Hunters?

It could have ended while you were restarting.

Also, that jetpack tactic you mentioned above is called tinkerbelling. It sucks as a monster user.

TitusTroy

Also, that jetpack tactic you mentioned above is called tinkerbelling. It sucks as a monster user.

it's annoying but playing as Gorgon I can somewhat counter them when they hang in the air because Gorgon's Web Snare and Acid Spit abilities can actually reach them even if the Hunters are really high up

LordRaptor

It's a pretty fun game despite some of the weird decisions they've made, and if they can keep up the update schedule they're currently working to I think they can sustain a playerbase.

Plus going F2P on consoles is definitely going to get some press which will result in a renewed interest on the PC side of things too.

LordRaptor

SO is it safe to say going f2p saved the game?

Its still a bit too early to tell tbh, and its still in beta, so it's not a 'done deal'
Its playerbase is still falling, but the games fun, the F2P elements aren't too obnoxious, and it still has pretty good word of mouth, as well as being a niche not really covered by other F2P shooters. It also still has some e-sports cred, which can't hurt.

If they can solve some of the more pressing issues and get decent press re-review coverage leaving beta / relaunching on console, it should be at least self-sustainable

I feel bad for all the things that kept Evolve from having an exploding community, yesterday's Helix Gamer's League GF was a fuckin buttclencher

https://www.twitch.tv/superbadjuju/v/83423419?t=4h14m20s

Huh, I was in a match last night with one of those guys and some other good players. Distillery, I got some strikes and made it to stage three. They camped near the relay at this little thing with a circular pillar. Support and medic would just circle around it constantly. As Goliath it was impossible to do constant damage to either of them. Cheapest exploit of the map design I have ever seen. They were joking about how utterly impossible it is to do anything about it after the match. Hopefully TRS fixes that bullshit.

Top Bottom