• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Stage 2 |OT| Redesigned, free 2 play, Very Frequent Updates [Support Ended]

LordRaptor

The idea of the Behemoth passive is cool, but the execution seems really vague and in my mind really bad, the wording makes it seem no matter what Behemoth gets stacks automatically via just sunny, parnell, cabot or any other single shot monster even uses a shot there's no counterplay to that shit, if it was a built threshold then sure you can dump and regroup then wait and repeat, but this so far seems dumb. Btw apparently DR passive doesn't work with DR perks as highest overrides.

I'm actually glad they do have caps in place - the numbers they use on things like perks had me worried they don't - but its a noob trap if they let you hit the cap and don't tell you, because you're effectively wasting perks.
The numbers I saw being thrown around were that if there was no cap, Behemoth would be hitting upwards of 70% damage reduction, which is fucking horrible.

Dreavus

does the planet scan show an outline of the Monster?...whenever the scanner is activated the Hunters know exactly where I am...even if I switch directions they automatically switch as well...I thought the scanner only showed the general direction and not the exact position?

As others have said the trapper can see your outline and know which way you are headed while it's active.

However I've still had success turning around right after it ends, so I end up moving the opposite way. It can mess up groups trying to cut you off sometimes.

TitusTroy

is Renegade Abe as bad of an Assault as it appears?...playing as Monster, Abe's only use seems to be hitting me with those damage-over-time darts/grenades...he doesn't seem to have the defense or overall offense of the other Assault Hunters

xezuru

I wish TRS would clarify the language of their patch notes.
Shit like releasing characters without damage numbers and descriptions.
I still don't know how Behemoth passive ACTUALLY functions.
It says dots don't stop armor channel in-dome which I assume isn't actually regen.

In that final case, Renegade seems fine, in my eyes he's fantastic against wraith, kraken, gorgon (if someone else can shoot traps), who try to hit and run, as even if they escape they get massively more chase damage which in reality is the only damage that matters in the game.

Edit: In other news... I want to buy that fucking BLING BLING GOLIATH BADGE SO BAD

TitusTroy

Edit: In other news... I want to buy that fucking BLING BLING GOLIATH BADGE SO BAD

since I have pretty much everything unlocked I've been saving my Silver keys over the past few weeks...I have over 150,000 now...I'm thinking about getting that Goliath badge

D3VI0US

God I wish they would release this on Xbox so bad! The fact that they haven't done any kind of monetization yet has me worried that it isn't as successful as they planned and it'll never come to console which would be a huge bummer.

God I wish they would release this on Xbox so bad! The fact that they haven't done any kind of monetization yet has me worried that it isn't as successful as they planned and it'll never come to console which would be a huge bummer.

I saw them mentioning that the work on consoles has begun! So it's coming! No idea what shape or format it'll take, and if they're going to tweak the rate at which you get silver...

TitusTroy

the latest patch made the Badge menu so much easier to navigate...before it was terrible navigating the various menus and choosing badges

Yep. I have tried to go back to vanilla Xbone Evolve a few times and just can't. Stage 2 is better in every way as a Goliath user.

You would think that as open we console gamers are to buying dumb micro transactions, wed be a good fit for this version of the game.

LordRaptor

New Slim is fun as fuck to play as :D

It says dots don't stop armor channel in-dome which I assume isn't actually regen.

Yeah, patch notes are different to what I quoted - thank god!
As I've said before, I regularly run double DOT perks on hunters with crap guns, and being able to armour regen through it would be ridiculous, especially as a lot of monsters seem to run armor regen perks

I think they're getting closer, they made some fairly major economy change to make buying things with keys super grindy (again, lol) and last time I logged in I got the "Heres what you get as a founder!" show reel again.

I would guess at an October launch, along with a 'theme' month and release of new support and monster variants, so they get a big launch right before the xmas big guns hit, and also have a few menaingful updates in the bag to keep the playerbase coming back.

Having said that, they would be wise to get their real money shop up and running for PC users to test before a console launch

the latest patch made the Badge menu so much easier to navigate...before it was terrible navigating the various menus and choosing badges

Yeah, hopefully they'll put unlock requirements on as mouseover tooltips or something.
I'm still a bit 'meh' about their plans to make badge unlocks rewards for playing their shitty map variations :/

They really need a UI guy to do some work on their Accolades tab, which is virtually useless atm. I'd also like someone to take a UX pass on the perks pages, because hunter silver having perks 'below the fold' is a bit crap, and similar perks on different pages being in completely different positions is also clunky.

LordRaptor

So they're implementing the real money cash shop (for NA only to start) which means;
1) Silver key rewards / pricing is now unlikely to change anymore, because they're setting a fixed exchange rate
2) One step closer to console release.

I'd be curious if it ends up Cross-Play with consoles - given the way the games setup and Monsters are probably played more easily with a controller and there's very little in the way of precision aiming giving KBM hunters any particular advantage, it would probably benefit from it.

Also Behemoth variation in a few weeks, and apparently a Cabot varation next patch???

LordRaptor

What'd they do to slim?

Got rid of his spore launcher and replaced it with a self-buff that heals you and increases your jump height, and made his 4 to auto-toggle healing, so there's zero micro management to worry about on heal bursts, if you get in and start shooting it will automatically fire off if charged and any nearby team mates need a heal so you can focus on landing shotgun blasts to keep its cooldowns down

xezuru

Got rid of his spore launcher and replaced it with a self-buff that heals you and increases your jump height, and made his 4 to auto-toggle healing, so there's zero micro management to worry about on heal bursts, if you get in and start shooting it will automatically fire off if charged and any nearby team mates need a heal so you can focus on landing shotgun blasts to keep its cooldowns down

I mean, Slim was never a great design considering how his kit is kind of anti-counterplay and was always just spam 4 war, but did they really need to make him even more braindead? Definitely would've preferred a utility spore so at least I would have an actual rotation instead of just turning my brain off and pew pewing. They were considering a DR field in spore area, I think I'd rather they have a spore field copy Renegabe grenade toxin and give more DR per sec poison granted in the field and that's coming from someone who's so tired of TRS copy and pasting other kits into people and using them so blandly, I mean if you're gonna reuse assets at least make it interesting.

LordRaptor

I think his current kit is probably too strong and probably gonna get nerfed, but his 4 is now primarily a team heal rather than a selfish heal, so theres a nice positive feedback loop for Slim in getting in the monsters face enough to be maxing his heal output, but still needing to fight and dodge like you're not a medic to stay alive.

It's nice and clear what being useful to the team entails, as opposed to someone like Kala who is a straight up noob trap and things you think you should be doing are actively harming your teams success.

If he needs nerfs, making his self-heal slow / stop his team heal recharging while active would make sense. The way their perks are setup ruins the other alternative, because the reload hunter perk applies to both gun reloads, but also to non-class ability chargetimes, so double reload perks are super good on Slim

e:
Also, I wouldn't claim to be a good or great player, but his lil bug buddy makes his kit not assault class simple, as there's a good synergy with using it to revive an incapped hunter while also trying to be in the monsters face enough for him to not notice youre doing that

LordRaptor

so do these new Gold keys give you any exclusive content that you can't buy with silver keys?

Its actually the opposite - you can buy things with silver keys that you can't buy with gold keys.
Whether that stays the case, who knows? (I'm pretty sure it won't stay the case and there will be real money purchase only cosmetics at some point in the future)

TitusTroy

seems like the Gold keys are only there to act as a quicker way to buy characters, skins, badges etc without having to grind out the silver keys in-game...that's why they raised the silver key prices recently

LordRaptor

It's about time TBH, Cabot after the release-nerf always seemed like a lame pick.

I've always found Cabot when played by someone who knows what they're doing pretty strong - his dust cloud can compensate for bad trappers, his damage amp can compensate for bad assaults, and his railgun is pretty good damage with the added bonus of preventing shield regen, even if a monster jukes behind a rock.

I'm really not a fan of support class being pushed as a DPS though. Playing medic is stressful enough as usually first focussed target, throw in supports who never goddamn shield because they're too busy pew-pewing and its straight into ragequit territory.

TitusTroy

I'm really not a fan of support class being pushed as a DPS though. Playing medic is stressful enough as usually first focussed target, throw in supports who never goddamn shield because they're too busy pew-pewing and its straight into ragequit territory.

yup, it seems like all the new reskinned Hunters are basically half Assault (ex- Paladin Parnell)...TR must think that most players want to shoot the Monster and the support roles are becoming less important

TitusTroy

I've played the game a ton but something I want to confirm...a downed hunter still gets a strike right even if he is revived by his teammates?...downed meaning incapacitated but not dead (haven't been sent to dropship)

xezuru

I've played the game a ton but something I want to confirm...a downed hunter still gets a strike right even if he is revived by his teammates?...downed meaning incapacitated but not dead (haven't been sent to dropship)

Correct unless Lazarus revives with his glove.

LordRaptor

New updates live - new support variant Battle Cabot, some (what?) monster nerfs, some (WHAT?) hunter buffs, some (WAT.) rewards only available for playing ugggggghhhh those goddawful map variants.

e:
Honestly Turtle Rock, we all understand somebody worked hard on making those awful map variants, but they are still awful.
Bribing people to play them doesn't make them less awful, it just breeds resentment that you are forcing people to play these awful maps.

Alavard

I haven't really played much since the silver key price changes, but I notice Battle Cabot is only 9500 silver keys. Is he considered 'on sale' for being brand new or something?

TitusTroy

Honestly Turtle Rock, we all understand somebody worked hard on making those awful map variants, but they are still awful.
Bribing people to play them doesn't make them less awful, it just breeds resentment that you are forcing people to play these awful maps.

the Orbital Drill variant is not bad at all...it's the other Overpowered one that sucks and feels too arcade-like with all those power-ups all over the map

LordRaptor

I haven't really played much since the silver key price changes, but I notice Battle Cabot is only 9500 silver keys. Is he considered 'on sale' for being brand new or something?

Probably a bug, I'd buy him fast if I were you ;p

the Orbital Drill variant is not bad at all...it's the other Overpowered one that sucks and feels too arcade-like with all those power-ups all over the map

Nope, I hate them all.
Cataclysm is full of bullshit knockbacks that waste my dodge.
Overpowered is just braindead.
Deepest Dark is boring.

TitusTroy

how's the new Cabot?...I played 1 match against him and beat him pretty easily...maybe the person playing him didn't know how to use him

TitusTroy

Battle Cabot can definitely be annoying in the hands of a skilled player...his ability to make Hunters invisible is really annoying along with his shield blast

TitusTroy

the last patch made Wasteland Maggie's Daisy so much more annoying...she doesn't heal anymore but she constantly is doing fire damage...needs to be nerfed a bit

LordRaptor

LMAO.

yFdzc0g.jpg

THANKS A LOT RNGEEZUS

So you can get - a chance at - free crates by playing the shitty maps people don't like that undermine the game mechanics, or you can pay virtual (or real) money to gamble on 2 different kinds of lootboxes.

Those guys really need someone with a coherent vision in charge. It's so muddled.
Really feels like someone can't get past their pride with those awful map variants and just let them go as a mistake.

e:
Also, as a primarily medic player, Perks that specifically fuck with my choice of class?
Wow.

Thank you sooooooo much balance team.

TitusTroy

I had 210,000+ silver keys so I purchased a few of those Basic crates...it's around 2700 silver keys for 1 crate...got a few nice badges

LordRaptor

I had 210,000+ silver keys so I purchased a few of those Basic crates...it's around 2700 silver keys for 1 crate...got a few nice badges

yeah, I wasted 150k on gambling with loot crates, because why not?
75 keys reward on a 2700 spend is a joke tho - same with getting the 'refund' price of keys when you roll something you already own.
Would be nice if it guaranteed something new on every crate, even if its just a badge colour, or offer a free crate as a potential crate drop.

TitusTroy

yeah, I wasted 150k on gambling with loot crates, because why not?
75 keys reward on a 2700 spend is a joke tho - same with getting the 'refund' price of keys when you roll something you already own.
Would be nice if it guaranteed something new on every crate, even if its just a badge colour, or offer a free crate as a potential crate drop.

do the crates give you things you already own?...I only bought a few crates but it seemed to only give me badges and skins I didn't already own

LordRaptor

do the crates give you things you already own?...I only bought a few crates but it seemed to only give me badges and skins I didn't already own

Yeah, its the same as the daily sign in or levelup rewards - if the thing you unlock is a thing you already have it gives you a percentage of the shop price in keys as a 'refund'.

There are certain key values you start recognising as "welp, that was a perk I already have I guess"

Like I said, I wasted 150k gambling, lol

TitusTroy

Wait. There are crates now? :eek:

What do crates unlock?

•Added Basic crates

•Unlocked with Silver Keys
•Unlock 3 random items ranging from:
•111 Badges
•75 Weapon Skins
•16 Hunter Skins
•12 Monster Skins
•44 Perks

•Added Premium crates

•Unlocked with Gold Keys
•Unlock 5 random items ranging from:
•Same items from Basic Crate (excluding Perks)
•Higher chance for better items
•34 Characters
•22 additional Weapon Skins
•23 additional Hunter Skins
•6 additional Monster Skins

Javin98

Banned
I'm enjoying it quite a lot, but man, the harpoons make me rage so hard. So I was playing a match as Goliath, there was a Trapper constantly using the harpoon and I couldn't even escape once spotted. All I could do was run some distance while getting shot at and then trapped in the dome again. Basically, I never had a chance to get far away enough to even come close to Stage 2. So, I rage quitted, searched for a match and ended up with the same team again. Then, they started sending me hate mails, haha.

I know technically it's my fault and I don't really blame them for the
childish
behavior, but damn, that harpoon is freaking OP on the Goliath. Any tips, GAF?

Jawmuncher

So does the F2P version change the pace of the game? Played a bit on PS4 yesterday and in hunt mode that's my biggest complaint.

LordRaptor

I know technically it's my fault and I don't really blame them for the
childish
behavior, but damn, that harpoon is freaking OP on the Goliath. Any tips, GAF?

Are you playing on the PC? AFAIK the current state of console and PC is vastly different, but you literally just have to turn around and swipe the harpoon to destroy it, and the trapper has like a 3 second cooldown before he can shoot again.

On PC goliath got some pretty huge buffs so his rock throw now does heavy damage and a huge knockback, so swiping the harpoon then throwing a rock at the trapper will knock him miles away from the rest of the group (as hes likely behind you while everyone else is in front) so you can either kill him off, or take out the medic / support before he can get back to you

So does the F2P version change the pace of the game? Played a bit on PS4 yesterday and in hunt mode that's my biggest complaint.

Yeah, its a lot faster paced; monsters get more points at stage 1, every hunter can dome at will, and every trapper gets a tracker on cooldown that will point directly to the monster.
Monsters don't even bother stealthing now, just run and eat with the odd dome fight when captured.

Javin98

Banned
Are you playing on the PC? AFAIK the current state of console and PC is vastly different, but you literally just have to turn around and swipe the harpoon to destroy it, and the trapper has like a 3 second cooldown before he can shoot again.

On PC goliath got some pretty huge buffs so his rock throw now does heavy damage and a huge knockback, so swiping the harpoon then throwing a rock at the trapper will knock him miles away from the rest of the group (as hes likely behind you while everyone else is in front) so you can either kill him off, or take out the medic / support before he can get back to you
Well, yeah, on PC. This thread is for Stage 2, isn't it? :p

Anyway, that sounds like a good idea. I should probably give that a try. I usually spend all four points on upgrading the Charge and Flame Breath once each. Probably should spend a point on the Rock Throw, then. Thanks! Am I right in assuming the Behemoth will have a much easier time, though? It's rolling mode is so much faster.

Edit: I do actually break the harpoon almost immediately it's shot, but I'm slowed down so much and it recharges so quickly that I really have no time to gain any substantial distance.

LordRaptor

I barely ever play as monster, so TitusTroy probably has better advice as he mains Monster, but yeah, I think Goliaths Rock Throw is probably his best move at the moment - deals a ton of splash damage and knockback at range is super useful.

For his traversal, you want to aim a bit high to get more range, and probably worth holding shift when you do it so you grab any scenery and scale it. AFACS his wombo combo is a charge at a hunter to knock them away from the group, and a follow up rock throw while they're being flung back - its basically undodgeable because of splash, and theyll be at low health and no jetfuel at the end.

Top Bottom