• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ewan McGregor to Star in Disney's 'Christopher Robin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhqwhgads

This pretty much confirms Disney is going to run their live action movies into the ground. There's no idea they won't do and it won't be until they've ruined at least 3 of their classic films until they realise you can't just make a live action film of everything.

It's a shame that barely anyone saw Winnie the Pooh 2011 which was a really charming film and now everyones going to see this Hook clone. And Hook still doesn't get much respect.

cj_iwakura

tumblr_inline_oiuvdoaKwi1r6y7ea_1280.png
Leaving satisfied.

Anung

Un Rama
I'd only be interested in a new Winnie the Pooh film if it's directed by Wes Anderson and is live action interacting with stop motion versions of the original teddies.

Also Bill Murray is Eeyore.

You guys know he's already IN Beauty and the Beast, right?

And that he actually did a voice for The Force Awakens.

Getting a paycheck from the Walt Disney Corporation is not a new thing for Mr. McGregor.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
It is lame. It's one of Spielberg's worst films. Bottom three.

For whatever reason self-proclaimed '90s kids fucking love it.

It's a generational thing, I guess.

(has a really good John Williams score, though!)

Fxgv368.jpg

The movie oozes with charm. Williams, Hoffman and Hoskins are ridiculous and delightful.

As for 90s kids loving it - McDonalds ran some promos in the 90s where they gave out / sold VHS tapes. Low income families who frequented fast food joints would procure these tapes, not buying many other VHSs, which led to a phenomenon where certain movies were played in certain households over and over. Hook was part of such promotion (as was also Waynes World, while Burger King did the same but with the Ninja Turtles cartoon). I know people in their early 20s to mid 30s who were exposed to this and as result love all three franchises. It's amazing that this can't really happen again due to the internet / content streaming.

This has... potential, but it could easily be squandered and fall into a lot of traps.

To be honest I'm kinda holding out for a live action/2D mesh of some sort. Make it an easy visual metaphor for Robin's imagination where the film slides between looks depending on his mental state.

Hook is one of my favorite Spielberg movies. I'll never understand how people can hate on it. With that said, I'll remain skeptical on this until I get more info. Getting the Hidden Figures scriptwriter is a great start though.

Well Disney is certainly pushing the live-action remakes as far as they can. Good to see McGregor in a leading role again though.

As for the Hook elements, I say bring it on! Hook is a very good film, although something tells me this is gonna be a bit more dramatic instead of being an adventure film.

The movie oozes alright.

As for 90s kids loving it - McDonalds ran some promos in the 90s where they gave out / sold VHS tapes. Low income families who frequented fast food joints would procure these tapes, not buying many other VHSs, which led to a phenomenon where certain movies were played in certain households over and over.

This is the first time I've heard this narrative. I had to wear pro wings and K-Mart brand Chuck knockoffs until I was 14 that doesn't mean I think those were awesome shoes. Because they weren't.

Hook is a bad movie.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
The movie oozes alright.

This is the first time I've heard this narrative. I had to wear pro wings and K-Mart brand Chuck knockoffs until I was 14 that doesn't mean I think those were awesome shoes. Because they weren't.

Hook is a bad movie.

Hating Hook makes you evolved.

I was trying to figure out why the hell Marc Forster would be attached to this, but then saw he did Finding Neverland. The kind of daydream, whimsical feel of that film (or some parts of that film anyway) seems like the kind of direction this movie should go for.

Maron

I'd love to see this premise with Calvin and Hobbes. A 34 year old Calvin, now a flustered board-room executive, trying to reconnect with Hobbes during a weekend stay with his parents.

Nah....this premise could potentially make for a decent flick in this case with Winnie the Pooh, but I'd hate to see that for C&H. I don't think we should even see Calvin in that form because part of that internal conflict really messes with the whole world that the entire series built and convinced it's audience of.

EDIT: Ok you got me, that was a really funny joke

Sanjuro

Out of tissues. Can't find any socks or old clothing. Christoper Robin, 44, frantically searches the room and finds his old pal WInnie...

See it in IMAX™

temp

posting on contract only
Haha the guy who directed Finding Neverland is directing this and they introduce him as World War Z and Quantum of Solace director Marc Forster?

Metalmarc

Psst heads up, the next Star Wars Movies will be announced in the Summer for those waiting on a potential Obi Wan announcement.

error4041

I saw Disney and Ewan McGregor and got real excited for a minute...

Well, it could be a fun movie, even if it is the same premise has Hook.

Poona

This is really cool. I'm wondering how Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore and co are going to look though. Stuffed toys moving about, animation like Roger Rabbit, or somewhat really furry like animal characters?

ZeoVGM

Banned
You guys know he's already IN Beauty and the Beast, right?

Getting a paycheck from the Walt Disney Corporation is not a new thing for Mr. McGregor.

Right. But him being the live action face to a Disney movie rather than a voice for an animated side-character stands out a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom