• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCITEBIKE WORLD RALLY

Nicktals

Banned
thefro said:
It'd be nice if this game had split-screen local multiplayer and let you play against CPU opponents instead of just the clock, but it's a nice package otherwise.

I assume the people I've been playing against are using waggle, but even based off renting the old NES game back in the day I've been destroying people so far.

You can see what control method people are using during online matches. If you see an icon of a Wii Remote, they're using tilt controls. If shows an NES controller, they're using the classic controls. Unlockable spoiler below:

There is an unlockable "Pro" control option that uses tilt for lane changes and bike tilt...I'm not sure if that has a different icon or not, as I haven't tried it online.

GeekyDad

My thumb's sore from spending the better part of yesterday getting S ranks for all the cups. Was fun as heck, though. I'm ready to play some more...but now there's really nothing left for me but the online, which doesn't have a leaderboard.

Dave Long

Banned
goomba said:
No local multiplayer? WTFFAILBBQ.
This. I bought it last night thinking there had to be multiplayer for me and my three boys and... no, just no.

It's a great game for nerds alone in their basement, but that's kind of anti-Wii, you know?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Seriously.

I was going to purchase this for a get-together this week. Way to go Nintendo.

Nicktals

Banned
Just won a race by 1/100th of a second. Tried getting a picture but was too slow.

I have a friend lobby open for the next 10 minutes or so if anyone's looking to get some friend points!

how do we get the nitro boost. I have yet to win single race online :lol . It is hard to see who the real players are and who are the bots.

Nicktals

Banned
crazy monkey said:
how do we get the nitro boost. I have yet to win single race online :lol . It is hard to see who the real players are and who are the bots.

Umm...Nitro is the 1 button, for sure with classic control...and I think it's 1 for tilt controls too.

The bots are white, and don't drive like humans?? :lol That's all I can really say about that...Except that it also doesn't really matter.

Head here (link) for the online match-up thread!

Nicktals

Banned
500 anyone points paint spoiler:
Tiger.

Now if some of you bastards would get online I could start going for the 500 Friend points!!

Lobby is open!

Dave Long

Banned
Have to say that despite my disappointment with the lack of local multiplayer, this is the real deal. Absolutely love it. Played for like four hours last night and really didn't want to stop once I went online after S-Ranking the first two and part of the third cup.

I'm also like the only guy in the world using the normal controls. Everyone else is has little NES pads by their names. I'm winning/getting second regularly with them, too. Really dig the ability to wheelie and land with the tilt.

GeekyDad

Dave Long said:
I'm also like the only guy in the world using the normal controls. Everyone else is has little NES pads by their names. I'm winning/getting second regularly with them, too. Really dig the ability to wheelie and land with the tilt.

Spent maybe a total of an hour playing with different folks online, and so far, I'd say about half of the folks I've come across were using the Normal setting. I tried it first when I got the game, but immediately went to Classic and never looked back. Normal works fine, but not as fun for me.

Even without local multiplayer, though, I'd be perfectly satisfied with the game if there was a leaderboard. I just don't have much reason to get on and play against others, since there's nothing to work toward other than a few more skins for the bike.

My favorite game at the moment. The track editor could use some updates though. I'd love to add some nitro refills to the large structures. Also, would have been nice to see some elements from Motorcross Maniacs like loops and such.

Davidion

Dash Kappei said:
So they fucked up the number one reason for this game being in my most wanted list?
Damn.

I admit, I'm secretly hoping for a patch or new release that'll add local MP or something to that end.

You can stop laughing now.

gogojira

Still need to get this game, but that's really, really weak that there's no local multiplayer. I spend most of my time online gaming with friends, so I suppose it's not that huge of a deal, but Excitebike begs for local multi. Ugh.

Nicktals

Banned
gogojira said:
Still need to get this game, but that's really, really weak that there's no local multiplayer. I spend most of my time online gaming with friends, so I suppose it's not that huge of a deal, but Excitebike begs for local multi. Ugh.

Yeah, it really seems strange that there's not at least 2 person local co-op. A vertical split would be fine. I think 4 person wouldn't work very well, but i mean they could have included it...every one would be on equal ground, after all.

Also, come play! I have everyone added, and a lobby open!

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Nicktals said:
Yeah, it really seems strange that there's not at least 2 person local co-op. A vertical split would be fine.
No, it wouldn't. Y'all have to think hard about this. REALLY hard.

Nicktals said:
Umm...Nitro is the 1 button, for sure with classic control...and I think it's 1 for tilt controls too.

The bots are white, and don't drive like humans?? :lol That's all I can really say about that...Except that it also doesn't really matter.

Head here (link) for the online match-up thread!

thanks. I this game has two buttons and I was pressing only one :p :lol :lol :lol :lol I figured it out today.

Nicktals

Banned
jooey said:
No, it wouldn't. Y'all have to think hard about this. REALLY hard.

Oops, meant horizontal. Vertical would definitely NOT be optimal! But I think a horizontal could work.

Lobby is back open! Online thread is here (link). Come on guys, I need friend points!

EDIT: Me and bon are having some great friend races...Let's try to get 4 gaffers for lots of points!

japtor

Nicktals said:
Finally S ranked the last course. Unlockable spoilers below:
You unlock "Pro Controls", which uses tilt for changing lanes, and for wheelies/tilting in mid-air. You also unlock a Bike with a skull on the side.
To add to this:
With Pro Controls you can also switch to a directly behind the bike view. It's actually kinda playable, but landings that are hard as hell from this view. Oh and you can also whip the bike sideways in the air with these controls.

Also something I noticed and just posted in the FC thread:
apparently there is no room for lower case letters in the game except the i's in "Wii"
EXCITE

Finally updated my homebrew so I could go buy this last night. In a lot of ways this is just the NES game faithfully updated, but it does it so well. It was when I was watching a replay and noticed the little camera man, looking so close to his NES counterpart, that I was hit with a wave of nerd nostalgia. :lol

It is kind of surprising there's no split screen, I don't see why the Wii wouldn't be able to handle it. The online's nice and works well, although it's one of those games where you can really feel the lack of communication, especially on the pre-race screen. Still, great stuff, Monster really pulled through on it.

AppleBlade

gabe90 said:
Looks amazing! At the right price, I may actually buy my first WiiWare game since my initial purchases on launch day.
Dude, there has been a ton of good stuff on Wiiware since launch (i.e. Nyx Quest, Bit Trip Beat, World of Goo, Toki Tori, Swords & Soldiers, Alien Crush Returns, Bonsai Barber, Contra Rebirth, Lit, & more). I swear, Wiiware is so under-rated. Games get so overlooked on Wiiware while anything even remotely interesting on XBLA or PSN gets discussed to death.

japtor

EXCITE

2j366bn.jpg

Nicktals

Banned
Mockingbird said:
Gah. I can't join NickTail's room for some reason. Everytime I try joining it disconnects me.

Yeah, sorry about that. I don't know what was going on. I brought my Wii to my girlfriends, and I got online just fine, then got randomly disconnected a couple times, then just gave up.

japtor said:
To add to this:
With Pro Controls you can also switch to a directly behind the bike view. It's actually kinda playable, but landings that are hard as hell from this view. Oh and you can also whip the bike sideways in the air with these controls.

Interesting. I'll have to give pro controls a shot.

Will be online tomorrow evening.

Hiltz

I've beaten the game and must say that I'm glad I bought it even though it can be completed pretty quickly. Of course, getting all S ranks will take a bit longer.

I've gotten S ranks in the bronze and silver cups but still need to get 5 more between the Gold and Platinum cups and I haven't played online yet.

My username is Adam & FC is 2321 - 6283-0208.

Gotta hand it to developer Monster Games. They know how to make good racing titles and they've done justice to the Excite franchise.

thefro

It's really a great WiiWare title.... you're constantly pushing the limits in multiplayer (or trying to get S-Ranks) and you can wreck/overheat at any time if you screw up.

The other AI guys are fair but add enough random chaos that anything can happen.

Already had an online match where I came in a hundredth of a second behind the other player.

bluehat9

So I tied with someone for 1st in an online race today. Both of us got 4 points, 3rd place got one.

I wish I had a camera.

dkeane

Anyone have tips on getting better times? Do you constantly do wheelies? or is it all about landing well?

Having lots of fun playing this.

dkeane said:
Anyone have tips on getting better times? Do you constantly do wheelies? or is it all about landing well?

Wreck other bikes with the back of yours (change lanes so your back wheel hits their front), it completely empties your temperature gauge so you can boost again. I used to do this all the time in the original, but back then it had no purpose, other than sheer evil. :lol

japtor

dkeane said:

Having lots of fun playing this.
It's basically just do everything well and keep on the turbo as much as possible of course. On a lot of jumps doing the wheelie jump is necessary for to clear the next obstacle cleanly. On the later courses the (!) things are pretty important since they let you jump some sections that'll make you go slow as hell too. Knowing where the cooling things are is important too, otherwise just wreck others if possible. You can also wheelie over others but I haven't figured out the timing to get the cool down consistently with it.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I already posted this in the online thread, but I figured that I'd post it here, too.

I'm going to be adding everyone in this (and the online) thread, so please add me as well.

Whimsical Phil - Phil - 4383 2043 4932

Marvie_3

Banned
bluehat9 said:
So I tied with someone for 1st in an online race today. Both of us got 4 points, 3rd place got one.

I wish I had a camera.
Awesome. I've lost a couple races by .01. So annoying. :lol

gogojira

Looking for some people to race from time to time, here's 9782636 digit friend code:

1763 2850 8972

Let me know if you add me so I can add you back.

Hiltz

I haven't played it in a while since New SMB Wii came out. I did try playing it earlier today in attempt to get an S rank in the only stage left in the Gold Cup but I failed. I actually haven't even tried out the track editor yet and only played 3 online matches so far.

So many games comnig out in such a short amount of time. Zelda: Spirit Tracks and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is going to keep me busy. Then Wiiware's supposed to be getting games like Zombie Panic in Wonderland as well as Cave Story before the year's over with and then No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom are coming out in January.

I'll have to find more time to play Excitebike because it is quite fun.

Top Bottom