• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCITEBIKE WORLD RALLY

pakkit

Banned
It's a remake but it isn't the same game. It's got motion control, Excite Truck's terra-deformation, and online.

Hiltz

Even though Nintendo's holiday first-party game lineup is not as good as we all hoped it would be, the surprise announcement of Excitebike World Rally coming out soon serves as a nice way to end 2009 with the belief that Nintendo has more things planned up its sleeve for Wiiware in the future.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I still consider the original one of the best time trial racers ever made. The Track Mania of its time.

I recall spending hours with friends making tracks and seeing who would be top man on them. I'm loved to see leader boards and custom track racing online.

J-Rock

Banned
Interesting retro revival that Nintendo has going on with the Wii this year. Punchout, 2D Mario and now Excitebike. Hell even some third parties are jumping in with games like Contra rebirth and Castlevania rebirth. Damn this makes me happy.:D

So this comes out in like two weeks? That means that at any time we are as little as two weeks away from a cool first-party WiiWare game.

Looking at the movie though, there's quite a bit more. The audio, sound effect, icons and even the deformation powerup item is now all taking a cue from ExciteTruck/Bot. In fact, the top left corner is showing S-Rank times?

It's not a "straight up remake", as far as I'm concerned.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AlphaTwo00 said:
Looking at the movie though, there's quite a bit more. The audio, sound effect, icons and even the deformation powerup item is now all taking a cue from ExciteTruck/Bot. In fact, the top left corner is showing S-Rank times?

It's not a "straight up remake", as far as I'm concerned.

The art looks quite like Excite Bots too, the rock in particular on the desert map appears very similar in texture to how they look in Bots.

I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled some assets from the Truck/Bots projects.

Hiltz

Do we know which developer within Nintendo is actually making this game? Assuming it is a first-party Wiiware title.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
two things i'm taking away from this video.

the girl is excruciatingly cute.

i lol'd at the guy briefly glancing off to the side to read the prompts (or he caught sight of a rat running through the studio).

BGBW said:
NeoGaf blowing stuff out of proportion? Surely you jest.

JESUS CHRIST. I am having some serious fucking deja vu right now. I swear to god i read this in my dreams or something as well as the post you quoted in a thread about a wiiware game about a week ago. The feeling is super strong.

Sorry for being off topic.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gamer @ Heart said:
JESUS CHRIST. I am having some serious fucking deja vu right now. I swear to god i read this in my dreams or something as well as the post you quoted in a thread about a wiiware game.

Sorry for being off topic.

You dream about browsing GAF?

maxmars

botticus said:
Which is why this is fantastic, because people who care enough about racing games to want realistic physics have plenty of games to choose from, while those of us who love Excitebike can play an enhanced version of it online with friends.

+1

How did I miss this news?

trinest

Wow- thats unexpected but that video- do we really need half of it to be over excited paid actors?

It would be awesome if they made a DSiWare one and made it Online and interactive with the Wii one.

ntropy said:
creepy glance

4048031570_587c54e9b0.jpg
:lol :lol that guy was funny from beginning to end

McBradders said:
Whenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhenwhen?!!!!!!!!

WHEN?!

Want it :(

Nov. 9 according to the show.

I like the hosts. They might be corny, but that's better than sarcastic and whiny like the hosts of every other videogame show. The guy reminds me of Jim Bruer :lol

LM4sure

Banned
A huge smile came across my face when the classic Excitebike music came on. I'll definitely get this.

Nintendo's strategy really annoys me though. This comes out in a couple of weeks and they're just now announcing it?! Nintendo's become too damn secretive.

AntMurda

So far Nintendo has only done Dr. Mario RX and now Excitebike: World Rally. It's a same because I think having an expansive line of classic retro nintendo wiiware remakes could really fill the void nintendo isn't producing commercially.

Hopefully we get more!!

Flakster99

Aphallatosis said:
Glad Nintendo refuses to give up on this fucking amazing series.

Yup. The series must have a HUGE fan back home in Nintendo of Japan head quarters for them to keep this series in the spot light (of sorts).

The video looked really fun. Good as bought. :)

botticus

Kard8p3 said:
How long has the show this got announced on been going? I've never heard of it before and the hosts seem kind of annoying but I could still see myself watching it (I did put up with G4 for ages.) Still if nintendo has it's own show now is there any reason to believe any website would get a big nintendo exclusive ever again?
I'm thinking it started sometime in September when the new Nintendo Channel was launched. I didn't start watching it until the last few weeks though, so I'm not positive.

Considering it's only a 15 minute online spot, I'm sure we'll still see plenty of other reveals through other outlets.

Hiltz

I actually kind of like Nintendo's new strategy when it comes to announcing some games that are close to their release date with little to no chance for any delayed announcements. Not only does it come out as a pleasant surprise but we don't have to wait long before their release.

Besides, I don't like to be teased about a particular new game for years and years. It's annoying and gives me bad dreams.

Burai

shitonmychest57
JoshuaJSlone said:
So weird. At the beginning of the year we didn't even know we were getting one Excite game in 2009, let alone two.

And at the end of it, most Wii owners still won't know about them. :(

test_account

XP-39C²
MiniDitka said:
Didnt see a topic for this.

New WiiWare game that was announced today on the Nintendo Channel

Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdkwEipL9SI

This video is still being processed and the video quality will improve once processing is complete.
Wow, this is great news i must say! I was "afraid" (or what i shall say) that the game wouldnt look too good if it was in 3D (not all games translate that well from 2D to 3D, at least in my opinion), but after seeing the trailer, i must say that the game looks really nice and the game looks pretty cool! :) Thanks for posting this video! :)

AniHawk

J-Rock said:
Interesting retro revival that Nintendo has going on with the Wii this year. Punchout, 2D Mario and now Excitebike. Hell even some third parties are jumping in with games like Contra rebirth and Castlevania rebirth. Damn this makes me happy.:D
And Klonoa and A Boy and His Blob.

zigg said:
Holy crap, it is Monster again.

*interest piqued*

Given their recent involvement with the series and the apparent re-use of gameplay, graphic and audio elements in EB:WR, I thought Monster would have been the most likely suspect.

zigg

Cosmonaut X said:
Given their recent involvement with the series and the apparent re-use of gameplay, graphic and audio elements in EB:WR, I thought Monster would have been the most likely suspect.

I had my doubts. Assets are easily shared between Nintendo's contracted/in-house devs (Metroid Prime and Pinball, for example), and the thing really is a different game, operating in 2-D, and with a lot less to it. I figured it could have been made up by anyone, really.

EatChildren

I'm happy it's Monster Games. I suspected it would be, but confirmation is good. Excite Truck and Bots are two games on the Wii that I really enjoyed and played through to total completion.

I hope this sells well for WiiWare, as they really deserve the attention.

Nicktals

Banned
YES, monster games! It means we will at least end up with playable online. And, at least they have a classic soundtrack to work off of, rather than attempting to do their own :lol

Also, pretty awesome news that you can save the tracks and send them. I just wish this was done using the ExciteBike friend code, as opposed to the Wii code (or both, which is probably the case here). I don't mind friend codes, but I hate doing the Wii system codes.

The addition of ranks means a lot to me...Also, the presumed addition of lots of unlockables is nice. If they go fan service, with lots of retro stuff, it could be pretty awesome.

I hope you unlock an Excite Truck as the last unlockable again :D

Nicktals said:
YES, monster games! It means we will at least end up with playable online. And, at least they have a classic soundtrack to work off of, rather than attempting to do their own :lol

Also, pretty awesome news that you can save the tracks and send them. I just wish this was done using the ExciteBike friend code, as opposed to the Wii code (or both, which is probably the case here). I don't mind friend codes, but I hate doing the Wii system codes.

The addition of ranks means a lot to me...Also, the presumed addition of lots of unlockables is nice. If they go fan service, with lots of retro stuff, it could be pretty awesome.

I hope you unlock an Excite Truck as the last unlockable again :D

Monster games dont even have a composer,excite truck and bots soundtrack are both by ead

Nicktals

Banned
Blackbird| said:
Monster games dont even have a composer,excite truck and bots soundtrack are both by ead

Did not know that...EB was tolerable...ET's default was terrible. That's gotta be the worst soundtrack ead has ever done, no?

Nicktals said:
Did not know that...EB was tolerable...ET's default was terrible. That's gotta be the worst soundtrack ead has ever done, no?

What makes everything worst is that kenji yamamoto from the metroid series composed the soundtrack from truck

Top Bottom