• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCITEBIKE WORLD RALLY

This looks pretty cool. The short bits in the video showed that it is in fact excitebike.

I kinda wish that there would be a sequel to the N64 Excitebike game. That game was fun and I totally expected a Gamecube version.

I hear Nitrobike is kind of close to Excitebike 64 in terms of presentation plus it's from LeftField. I would guess that's as close as you'll get. I'm sure happy about this though since I've had my fill of modern Excite.

HUELEN10

Linkzg said:
This looks pretty cool. The short bits in the video showed that it is in fact excitebike.

I kinda wish that there would be a sequel to the N64 Excitebike game. That game was fun and I totally expected a Gamecube version.
Nitrobike for Wii is made by Left Field Productions, the makers of the N64 Excitebike. I don't know if it is any good though, you'll have to look into that yourself.

EDIT: beaten :O

evilromero said:
I hear Nitrobike is kind of close to Excitebike 64 in terms of presentation plus it's from LeftField. I would guess that's as close as you'll get.

...and even then you'd still be a country mile from the goodness of EB64 - Nitrobike just isn't a particularly good game

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Tobor said:
I hate, hate, hate Nintendo's policy of tying games to the machine instead of an account.

But it's Excitebike. Day 1.

If you need your system serviced or repaired, your purchases are transferred if they end up giving you a different console. You just have to have your mynintendo account linked to the system.

gogojira

Cosmonaut X said:
...and even then you'd still be a country mile from the goodness of EB64 - Nitrobike just isn't a particularly good game

My mind still goes to Earthbound 64 when someone says EB64. :( Loving Mother 3 though, so I suppose it's OK.

On topic: I thoroughly enjoyed Excitebike 64 and wouldn't mind a sequel of sorts to it, though I'm ecstatic about World Rally.

EXCITEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Exciteeee-gif-subanner5.gif

The remix is love to my ears. I loved so much that little song when I was small.

HUELEN10

SpacePirate Ridley said:
EXCITEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Exciteeee-gif-subanner5.gif

The remix is love to my ears. I loved so much that little song when I was small.
Just out of curiosity, and this goes to all of you BTW, did you sometimes just press the reset button on the NES until you heard the version of the title theme you liked the most before racing? I sure did!

How many variations are there anyways?

HUELEN10 said:
Just out of curiosity, and this goes to all of you BTW, did you sometimes just press the reset button on the NES until you heard the version of the title theme you liked the most before racing? I sure did!

How many variations are there anyways?

Yes I did!
Its so bad there are not lots of remixes of it :(

whitehawk

Banned
Ranger X said:
err... it's because it's a remake and not a new game?

That's exactly why I'm disappointed. The game was great for it's time, but times have changed, and now we have realistic physics.

The Hermit

So this is the IGN game tey said it was "unexpected" ?! Hell, GrandJedi said it was Excitebots, he wasn't that far off :lol :lol

i remember getting to T-32 or something and getting bored in the NES days. i remember them being really hard, then breaking through one day and just playing forever.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Walk-Out Basements said:
so THIS the BIG exclusive that IGN had

No, this is the unexpected game IGN was talking about. They never called it big. They said a good quality looking unexpected game was coming from Nintendo. Someone else said that not everybody will be hyped for it, and Bozon said it was already overhyped. Nobody said it was big.

I'm happy. Super happy, and I'll be grabbing this the day it's online.

I cant believe this is the third EXCITE game the Wii. So awesome.

EatChildren said:
No, this is the unexpected game IGN was talking about. They never called it big. They said a good quality looking unexpected game was coming from Nintendo. Someone else said that not everybody will be hyped for it, and Bozon said it was already overhyped. Nobody said it was big.

I'm happy. Super happy, and I'll be grabbing this the day it's online.

I cant believe this is the third EXCITE game the Wii. So awesome.

Am I misremembering, or did someone on one of the IGN podcasts not hype it as an "A level" game?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Cosmonaut X said:
Am I misremembering, or did someone on one of the IGN podcasts not hype it as an "A level" game?

They did, and as far as I'm concerned it is. It looks like a quality rebuilding of a NES classic, totally unexpected, and fleshed out in features. It doesn't need to be Zelda to be "A level".

And it's IGN. Everybody should know by now that IGN Wii hype to the extreme.

gerg

To be fair, I don't think it's a stretch to call this an "A" game. It's a first-part WiiWare title that seems to be pretty polished. It's not liked IGN called it the next best-selling triple-A megaton of the year. IIRC (and as others have mentioned) Bozon said it would be a title that would pleasantly surprise people, and so far that's rung very true.

botticus

whitehawk said:
That's exactly why I'm disappointed. The game was great for it's time, but times have changed, and now we have realistic physics.
Which is why this is fantastic, because people who care enough about racing games to want realistic physics have plenty of games to choose from, while those of us who love Excitebike can play an enhanced version of it online with friends.

Struct09

Speaking of Excitebike and physics, I did a project in my high school Physics class about Excitebike. I calculated things like the force of gravity in the game, the numbers were hilarious. My teacher was impressed with the topic I chose, and I got an A.

EatChildren said:
They did, and as far as I'm concerned it is. It looks like a quality rebuilding of a NES classic, totally unexpected, and fleshed out in features. It doesn't need to be Zelda to be "A level".

Oh, I certainly think this looks like a quality title - I just wish press outlets would try a bit harder to resist the temptation to drop vague hints as I think it can be counterproductive. If they had simply said:

"We've had a chance to see an interesting new WiiWare game from Nintendo - we'll tell you more next week!"

It would have perhaps set the expectations at a more realistic level. Talking about "A level games" without specifying retail or download, as well as having one of your staffers drop all kinds of hints on a messageboard just seems to be a recipe for overhyping a perfectly decent game and inviting a backlash when it's unveiled.

Cipherr

whitehawk said:
What the hell. It's like the exact same game. Besides updated graphics and new camera angles it's identical :lol

Yeah its a remake dude, and its not retail, itll be a few bucks on Wiiware...

GDGF

Soothsayer
This is awesome!

I guess this was the secret game?

Groovy. This is just the kind of old school revival Nintendo needs to do more of.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
whitehawk said:
Realistic Physics are boring.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I want more stuff like this.

Now I want a new retro looking score attacky Starfox full of melodrama and simple looking gouraud shaded polygons in the millions.

Ydahs

Even though I haven't played it, let's hope this update is as good as the Punch Out! update.

Not really EXCITE (having never played one) but certainly interested.

EatChildren said:

No they didn't. Even worse than IGN hyping games occasionally is people pretending they did just to hate...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Two douchebags made that video tough to watch. And by the end I was about to give it up as a near-total loss (despite the cool retro music and the nod to the newer iterations in the form of transforming terrain), but then, right before I was about to close the tab, they confirmed online multiplayer.

Kickass.

Kard8p3

How long has the show this got announced on been going? I've never heard of it before and the hosts seem kind of annoying but I could still see myself watching it (I did put up with G4 for ages.) Still if nintendo has it's own show now is there any reason to believe any website would get a big nintendo exclusive ever again?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It is now official. Punch Out!!, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Galaxy 2, and now this. No-one, and I mean no-one can argue that Nintendo had forgotten their core fans anymore.

Will buy!

I'm a bit disappointed that a retail Wii game wasn't announced. Shouldn't have expected Nintendo to reveal a big game on Nintendo Week.

However, I will be buying this as soon as it's out :)

hatchx

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
It is now official. Punch Out!!, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Galaxy 2, and now this. No-one, and I mean no-one can argue that Nintendo had forgotten their core fans anymore.

Will buy!

Don't forget Sin and Punishment 2. Things seem to be looking up for wii into 2010. Finally a year with a solid lineup of great games.

Top Bottom