• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCITEBIKE WORLD RALLY

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Blackbird| said:
What makes everything worst is that kenji yamamoto from the metroid series composed the soundtrack from truck

He did?

I assumed it was some generic blah-metal-rock guy they hired.

GeeDuhb

So, it is the 9th, and the game should now be out (unless they have not posted it yet)...but there is no official thread, and I have seen no impressions from anyone...

Anyone tried it yet? I would like to get some impressions before I put $10 into the game...

Hiltz

IGN just posted their review for the game.

7.5 Presentation

Online support and track creation mode. Surprisingly, no local multiplayer.

7.0 Graphics

Smooth 3D engine with some subtle visual effects, but it feels a little generic with no personality.

7.0 Sound

The original soundtrack has been updated with some new ditties.

8.0 Gameplay

The Excitebike gameplay is retained in this remake with enhancements that make sense. It's fun and simple...maybe just a little too simple. It's challenging, though!

7.5 Lasting Appeal

Online support is welcome and works great when the lag is low. It's not hard to complete all the tracks, but it's challenging to unlock everything with S ranks.

Score: 7.9

Excitebike is still a fun design in its enhanced World Rally follow-up. The multiplayer mode and the online-capable track creator feels like natural additions to the classic, though an offline, splitscreen multiplayer mode seems like a no-brainer addition and it's a shame it wasn't in the final product. As much as I still hold the classic near and dear to my heart I don't think it quite holds up to today's standards, but this 3D revisit is easily one of the better WiiWare offerings available.

I don't really understand IGN's review; this is exactly what I wanted the game to be, and it adds just enough innovation to keep me interested.

Of course, Excitebots is one of my favorite games of the year, so maybe I'm crazy?

Nicktals

Banned
Finally S ranked the last course. Unlockable spoilers below:
You unlock "Pro Controls", which uses tilt for changing lanes, and for wheelies/tilting in mid-air. You also unlock a Bike with a skull on the side.

Oh, decided to go ahead and put a thread up for FC over in the match-up forum.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18426202#post18426202

Everyone please add your FC! It's always more fun playing with fellow gaffers, even if communication is extremely limited.

I'm done for the night, but I'll add everyone tomorrow morning, and hope to have some good matches tomorrow night!

HUELEN10

Nicktals said:
Finally S ranked the last course. Unlockable spoilers below:
You unlock "Pro Controls", which uses tilt for changing lanes, and for wheelies/tilting in mid-air. You also unlock a Bike with a skull on the side.
Possible ExciteBots spoilers below.
No
Boulder Truck unlockable
? :(

Yes Boss!

Here is my Friend Code. Hopefully this will be big like Excitebots:

2192-7716-2701

Name: Paquin

I'm going to add everybody in this thread.

BooJoh

Really hoping I can get the friend mode colors unlocked. So far I don't have anyone I actually know on my friend list.

I added everyone who posted on this page

0904 2812 3524
BooJoh

:lol Man this game is awesome. I was lucky enough to get 1st place on my first online game as well, because the guy in front overheated/got hit. And this was before I discovered the Turbo button!

Nicktals

Banned
TunaLover said:
Criseba 0732-4825-3061

Added
Mejilan, Alfonse, NickGAF, bryeh, Paquin, Boojoh, fberger

Please confirm

Added! Also added fberger, although I won't be playing until this evening.

Nicktals

Banned
I've got a lobby open! I saw Marvie_3 earlier in a public match, but I want to start getting some friend points! Let's go EXCITE!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Could anyone confirm that you can't choose what background/environment you want in your custom tracks?

I can't figure it out, it's a bummer. Why do they restrict silly things like that?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Daisuke Shiiba (Nintendo) composed the soundtrack for Excitebike: World Rally. The composer of the original Excitebike was Akito Nakatsuka (Ice Climber, Zelda 2, Punch-Out).

thefro

It'd be nice if this game had split-screen local multiplayer and let you play against CPU opponents instead of just the clock, but it's a nice package otherwise.

I assume the people I've been playing against are using waggle, but even based off renting the old NES game back in the day I've been destroying people so far.

Top Bottom