• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Execution takes two hours for man to die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazzy

Banned
Christ that's awful.

Just thinking about the fact someone innocent could die like this. Ugh. Screw the death penalty.

What confuses me is that it should be trivial to replicate the drugs that used to be sold for this purpose. I'm surprised this isn't what the US government does rather than messing around experimenting in this manner.

It's barbaric.

Is it more humane? A person is just sitting wasting their life away, I think we should give them the option. Also, I don't understand how a lethal injection is more expensive than supporting a human for the rest of their life?

It's the appeal process and legal proceedings that cause the cost to go up.

Tamanon

Banned
What confuses me is that it should be trivial to replicate the drugs that used to be sold for this purpose. I'm surprised this isn't what the US government does rather than messing around experimenting in this manner.

It's barbaric.

State governments.

ICKE

Banned
20041116b_8.gif

I wouldn't frame this as a republican issue since there is widespread support across party lines.

Dryk

You know when the EU started this embargo the idea was that you'd take the hint. The fact that you've filled a syringe up with whatever you had under the sink and kept going is just...

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Also, Jan Brewer is a piece of shit;

Living Shitball Jan Brewer said:
One thing is certain, however, inmate Wood died in a lawful manner and by eyewitness and medical accounts he did not suffer.

An Associated Press reporter who witnessed an Arizona murderer's execution watched him gasp and snort for more than an hour and a half before he finally took his last breath

Yeah, that's not suffering. What a fucked up person Jan Brewer is, wow.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Is it more humane? A person is just sitting wasting their life away, I think we should give them the option. Also, I don't understand how a lethal injection is more expensive than supporting a human for the rest of their life?

It's not the procedure itself, it's the automatic appeals that go along with it. And before you question the appeals process, keep in mind that over a hundred death row inmates have been exonerated in just the past couple decades by largely volunteer efforts. Just think of how many people were probably wrongly executed before that.

As for giving them the option, there is far too much risk of coercion or falsification.

Huff

Banned
overdose of sedatives and painkillers. there was no suffering involved.

literally can't think of a more painless way to die

see5harp

It actually took more than 20 years for this dude to die. In cut and dry cases like this they should be carrying out executions within a day of the sentencing.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
overdose of sedatives and painkillers. there was no suffering involved.

literally can't think of a more painless way to die

Did you bother to read the article, even a little bit?

"An Associated Press reporter who witnessed an Arizona murderer's execution watched him gasp and snort for more than an hour and a half before he finally took his last breath"

"An Associated Press reporter who witnessed an Arizona murderer's execution watched him gasp and snort for more than an hour and a half before he finally took his last breath"

Uhyve

Is there a reason lethal injection became the standard?
Wouldnt something gas related be better, like simple CO poisoning?
I mean, even if they want to go with an injection, there's a ton of drugs you can OD on that give a painless death, morphine for example. These states that are experimenting on human beings seem completely barbaric, it's like they want to cause a painful death.

Also, aren't there laws on experimenting on people without their consent?

Valhelm

contribute something
I don't feel sorry for him, but this needs to end. Capital punishment is an awful, awful institution that wastes huge amounts of money while having no benefit.

Huff

Banned
guess what the difference is between these drugs and the ones the hospice uses on patients to ease their pain and suffering

nothing

Frog-fu

Banned
I'm not necessarily opposed to the death sentence but man, there has to be a better, safer and cheaper way of going about it.

Suikoguy

guess what the difference is between these drugs and the ones the hospice uses on patients to ease their pain and suffering

nothing

Glad you are a drug expert and ignored my post. Thanks for your participation.

Hackworth

Huff confirmed for not reading the thread.

NZ-Gaf here, why doesn't the US just give out life sentences? There's less problem with incorrect sentencing, it's cheaper than death row appeals, it isn't a form of state-sanctioned murder...
EDIT: seriously y'all need to bring back the guillotine if you're gonna keep using the death sentence.

Absolutely barbaric.

The most humane way of execution are the guillotine and firing squad. I have no idea why they don't give those as options.

BigDug13

The whole death row and appeals process in addition to the actual execution. Supposedly it costs more to kill someone than give them life in prison.

NZ-Gaf here, why doesn't the US just give out life sentences? There's less problem with incorrect sentencing, it's cheaper than death row appeals, it isn't a form of state-sanctioned murder...

They do, but people still stuck in the stone-age still think state-sponsored killings are okay.

Absolutely barbaric.

The most humane way of execution are the guillotine and firing squad. I have no idea why they don't give those as options.

Firing squad was an option in I think Idaho and Utah up until a couple years ago. In Utah, I think there are still a couple of people who chose they wanted the firing squad awaiting execution.

I remember in the past in Florida convicts could choose if they wanted Old Sparky or lethal injection - until the electric chair was retired.

Europeans stopped selling the old drug to the US for lethal injections because they found out it they were used for executions.

So States are trying to find ''alternative'' drugs and cocktails for lethal injections and experimenting on death row inmates.

Huff

Banned

these drugs exactly as they should.

painless and knocked out as your lungs slowly stop working

AntoneM

Federal judge in AZ ordered the state to draw blood from 6 specific places, preserve brain tissue, and preserve muscle tissue somewhere other than the arms, legs, and injection sight(s). This must be done in the 1.5 hours.

AZ gonna get fucked.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Federal judge in AZ ordered the state to draw blood from 6 specif places, preserve brain tissue, and preserve muscle tissue somewhere other than the arms, legs, and injection sight(s). This must be done in the 1.5 hours.

AZ gonna get fucked.

Wait what

Suikoguy

Federal judge in AZ ordered the state to draw blood from 6 specif places, preserve brain tissue, and preserve muscle tissue somewhere other than the arms, legs, and injection sight(s). This must be done in the 1.5 hours.

AZ gonna get fucked.

Maybe this will be the case that stops execution experimentation.

They have a good case, it was certainly foreseeable. A court even ruled to stop the execution until details were provided about the drugs they were going to do the execution.

While I'm not exactly opposed to the death penalty, this current iteration is not sustainable. I think eventually, the Supreme Court will reverse itself once more and stop them. I think this time permanently.

If a case ever gets up to them.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Why. Is the level barbarianism that much higher than getting handed back to back life sentences. The first one is death, the second is pretty much torture that earns privates companies money.

The idea is that anyone innocent would at least have a chance under the torture of a life sentence as opposed to losing their life and their chance.

That being said, the accident that happened to him here was a shame but not even in the same ballpark as him killing 2 innocents.

Why. Is the level barbarianism that much higher than getting handed back to back life sentences. The first one is death, the second is pretty much torture that companies make millions off of.

Because supporting the death sentence is supporting a system that has killed plenty of innocent people, past and present. If someone is locked up for life, and twenty five years down the road something exonerates them, they are still able to live out their life. Not only from a moral standpoint, but it costs a whole lot less to simply lock someone up for life than to go through the trouble of execution.

Suikoguy

That being said, the accident that happened to him here was a shame but not even in the same ballpark as him killing 2 innocents.

Care to point to the 8th amendment section that deals with comparative punishment?

andthebeatgoeson

Wouldn't a bullet to the head work just as well?
Nope. That type of death is usually based on bleeding around the brain that compresses the brain down onto the brain stem. The quickest way to do that is a direct shot to the brainstorm but that is in a difficult location. Plenty of people have tried and just blown off their face or the skull. And if you successfully injure the brain, it would take awhile. You would hear moaning, gagging, gurgling. If anyone heard this, they would probably have nightmares or severe PTSD. That's some shitu wouldn't want to hear on tape. Fuck your life up forever. Let alone see it.

I would say hanging, guillotine or tying a large rock to their feet and dropping them into a Olympic size pool would be the most humane without the old drugs. Which it's too say, not humane at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom