• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Execution takes two hours for man to die

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothar

Banned
Executions should be banned. It's impossible to end a life cleanly. Life will always struggle to continue surviving. It's impossible for an execution to be humane.

Why is it so easy to put dogs to sleep then? The only pain is always said to be the initial injection of anesthesia.

You're not struggling when someone cuts you open for surgery. You're just unconscious. How would you be struggling if your life was ended on anesthesia?

studyguy

I kinda wonder why they don't harvest the organs of inmates like that...at least save the lives of a few people. Or did I see that in a movie somewhere?

Inmates have been denied on various issues in this regard, logistics, "moral grounds," etc. One of the more recent examples of this, they didn't even really agree to allow an inmate to donate his organs till right before his execution. In that case he was trying to donate an organ to an ailing family member. I recall a lot of the controversy revolving around the idea that him saving a life somehow absolved the felon and that offended people. Fucking please.

cruets

Good riddance

On the day of the shooting, Wood went
to the auto shop and waited for Gene Dietz, who disapproved of his daughter's relationship with Wood, to get off the phone. Once the father hung up, Wood pulled out a revolver, shot him in the chest and then smiled.

Wood then turned his attention toward Debbie Dietz, who was trying to telephone for help. Wood grabbed her by the neck and put his gun to her chest. She pleaded with him to spare her life. An employee heard Wood say, "I told you I was going to do it. I have to kill you." He then called her an expletive and fired two shots in her chest.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is there an infographic or something showing why death row costs more than life in prison? I know people always say appeals but don't you get a certain number of appeals even if you're not going to be executed?

Inmates have been denied on various issues in this regard, logistics, "moral grounds," etc. One of the more recent examples of this, they didn't even really agree to allow an inmate to donate his organs till right before his execution. In that case he was trying to donate an organ to an ailing family member. I recall a lot of the controversy revolving around the idea that him saving a life somehow absolved the felon and that offended people. Fucking please.

As if the mortals should worry about him avoiding burning in hell. What would Jesus do?

Loakum

Banned
a Guillotine is cheaper and works swiftly. I'm sorry but some people need execution. When I read about people raping and mutilating children, jail is too good for them.

Darkangel

Why don't they just use a helium mask or something? It's mind boggling that they can mess up an execution in the 21st century.

Jesus fuck if I see one more "just use a firing squad" post in one of these threads so help me.

Seems to work better than a failed 2 hour injection.

Huff

Banned
You have a seriously hard time accepting that someone died in a painful way. Just admit that you don't give a fuck he died that way and move on. Your denials are getting more and more ridiculous.

haha well i dont give a fuck about him. i wouldn't care if he died in pain.

i think it's hilarious people are pissed off thinking he was in pain. when all they gave him was painkillers.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oh wow, how crazy. Thanks for the link, really interesting.

a Guillotine is cheaper and works swiftly. I'm sorry but some people need execution. When I read about people raping and mutilating children, jail is too good for them.
Geeze dude, why not just want to have them tossed off of a cliff? Besides decapitation only works on immortals. You have to suffocate the brain for it to actually kill.
If your head were cut off, would you still be able to see or otherwise move it, even for just a few seconds?
This concept perhaps first appeared during the French Revolution, the very time period in which the guillotine was created. On July 17, 1793, a woman named Charlotte Corday was executed by guillotine for the assassination of Jean-Paul Marat, a radical journalist, politician and revolutionary. Marat was well-liked for his ideas and the mob awaiting the guillotine was eager to see Corday pay. After the blade dropped and Corday's head fell, one of the executioner's assistants picked it up and slapped its cheek. According to witnesses, Corday's eyes turned to look at the man and her face changed to an expression of indignation. Following this incident, people executed by guillotine during the Revolution were asked to blink afterward, and witnesses claim that the blinking occurred for up to 30 seconds.
Another often-told tale of demonstrated consciousness following beheading dates to 1905. French physician Dr. Gabriel Beaurieux witnessed the beheading of a man named Languille. He wrote that immediately afterward, "the eyelids and lips ... worked in irregularly rhythmic contractions for about five or six seconds." Dr. Beaurieux called out his name and said that Languille's eyelids "slowly lifted up, without any spasmodic contraction" and that "his pupils focused themselves" [source: Kershaw]. This happened a second time, but the third time Beaurieux spoke, he got no response.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/10-brain-myths6.htm

I'm pissed, forgive my being flippant.

I'm gonna make a drinking game where I take a shot every time someone uses the word barbaric in a death penalty thread. I doubt I'd make it to page two.

Lothar

Banned

I kind of agree with the sentiment here but come to a different conclusion. If jail is too good for them, why isn't a quick death too good for them? Seriously. I'm not advocating a slow tortorous death, I'm just preferring them to have a lifetime in jail + a normal death. Why should murderers get a faster more merciful way out than my cancer stricken grandparents?

So I'm against the death penalty, not because it's too barbaric but I believe it's too nice. They won't be suffering anymore while the families of their victims will still be suffering. That's just wrong.

haha well i dont give a fuck about him. i wouldn't care if he died in pain.

i think it's hilarious people are pissed off thinking he was in pain. when all they gave him was painkillers.
They were pissed off because the opposite effect was intended. Ironic I suppose, but he did not die humanely. That's what 'we' are upset about. Morals are important.

I kind of agree with the sentiment here but come to a different conclusion. If jail is too good for them, why isn't a quick death too good for them? Seriously. I'm not advocating a slow tortorous death, I'm just preferring them to have a lifetime in jail + a normal death. Why should murderers get a faster more merciful way out than my cancer stricken grandparents?

So I'm against the death penalty, not because it's too barbaric but I believe it's too nice. They won't be suffering anymore while the families of their victims will still be suffering. That's just wrong.

Being a sadist is wrong too.

C4Lukins

This is fucked up. As big of a states rites guy as I am, there should be a federal mandate on executions which uses the least vile method possible. If I were to choose my own death, it would involve whatever it is dentists do to knock you out for surgery. And then you just chop my head off with a sharp axe. It is not pretty, but there would be no fucked up 3 hour experimental bull shit either. Actually a guillotine instead of an axe would be preferable.

andthebeatgoeson

Who cares if it looks awful? They're killing someone, why should that be all kittens and rainbows.

Whole thing against cruel and unusual punishments. I read that somewhere. And we take pride in not being China. Except China has 3 times the population and less people in jail. Oops.

Huff

Banned
They were pissed off because the opposite effect was intended. Ironic I suppose, but he did not die humanely. That's what 'we' are upset about. Morals are important.

i personally think this combo is more humane and harder to fuck up then the previous combo of anesthetic, paralytic, and potassium.

mreddie

It's really something when the days before the execution, they told people don't use the drugs, it might be botched. And then today happens and it's botched.

JDdelphin

On the day of the shooting, Wood went
to the auto shop and waited for Gene Dietz, who disapproved of his daughter's relationship with Wood, to get off the phone. Once the father hung up, Wood pulled out a revolver, shot him in the chest and then smiled.

Wood then turned his attention toward Debbie Dietz, who was trying to telephone for help. Wood grabbed her by the neck and put his gun to her chest. She pleaded with him to spare her life. An employee heard Wood say, "I told you I was going to do it. I have to kill you." He then called her an expletive and fired two shots in her chest.

Holy damn...

At least everyone can agree this guy was kindof a monster, yes?

Nope. That type of death is usually based on bleeding around the brain that compresses the brain down onto the brain stem. The quickest way to do that is a direct shot to the brainstorm but that is in a difficult location. Plenty of people have tried and just blown off their face or the skull. And if you successfully injure the brain, it would take awhile. You would hear moaning, gagging, gurgling. If anyone heard this, they would probably have nightmares or severe PTSD. That's some shitu wouldn't want to hear on tape. Fuck your life up forever. Let alone see it.

I would say hanging, guillotine or tying a large rock to their feet and dropping them into a Olympic size pool would be the most humane without the old drugs. Which it's too say, not humane at all.

ee9073fc50c7b0f472ded37f92b23807.gif

Drowning is not humane.

Log4Girlz

Sure, he should be tortured to death, but not by the state. The law and society shouldn't dictate life and death. Just give him life in prison.

Hackworth

Holy damn...

From what I've heard in the thread, the guy was a bastard who needed to be removed from society.

I just figure sticking people in jail to remove them is a better general plan than killing, in case the ID is wrong or whatever.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
still one of the most appalling things about the USA. I cant comprehend why they don't use a fucking bullet in the head, if you really have to have such a barbaric law

Brakke

Banned
still one of the most appalling things about the USA. I cant comprehend why they don't use a fucking bullet in the head, if you really have to have such a barbaric law

Stop it with the "use a gun" bullshit. Like that somehow isn't barbaric. What if you miss? Leave a person writhing in agony on the ground, waiting to bleed out? What, just stand over them plugging away until they stop moving?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage

Y'all play too many video games, learned some real nonsense about how gunshot wounds work.

Holy damn...

I'd say more of a hardcore asshole murderer and psycopath but that's also a good definition. Do we not execute serial killers though? I thought these kind of guys were just for life and we would execute serial killrrs, child molesters and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom