• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Execution takes two hours for man to die

Status
Not open for further replies.

lednerg

The idea is that anyone innocent would at least have a chance under the torture of a life sentence as opposed to losing their life and their chance.

That being said, the accident that happened to him here was a shame but not even in the same ballpark as him killing 2 innocents.

It was more of an experiment than an accident.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Europeans stopped selling the old drug to the US for lethal injections because they found out it they were used for executions.

So States are trying to find ''alternative'' drugs and cocktails for lethal injections and experimenting on death row inmates.

How civilized of us...

entremet

Nope. That type of death is usually based on bleeding around the brain that compresses the brain down onto the brain stem. The quickest way to do that is a direct shot to the brainstorm but that is in a difficult location. Plenty of people have tried and just blown off their face or the skull. And if you successfully injure the brain, it would take awhile. You would hear moaning, gagging, gurgling. If anyone heard this, they would probably have nightmares or severe PTSD. That's some shitu wouldn't want to hear on tape. Fuck your life up forever. Let alone see it.

I would say hanging, guillotine or tying a large rock to their feet and dropping them into a Olympic size pool would be the most humane without the old drugs. Which it's too say, not humane at all.

Dropping them into an Olympic sized pool? You mean with a weight?

As someone who almost drowned as a kid, it is terrifying.

Christopher

Everyone on this forum has a bleeding heart until it happens to them personally. If you had premeditated thought into killing someone or taking someone's life....I'm just not sure how I feel.

Huff

Banned
lol trippling down

try looking into these horrible torture drugs

dude was asleep within minutes and didn't feel a thing

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Care to point to the 8th amendment section that deals with comparative punishment?

I am not sure I follow. It just seems like pretty basic sense to me that him killing 2 innocents is worse in terms of morality than the people screwing his execution up after being alotted 2 decades of appeals. That is all I am saying.

Lothar

Banned
Absolutely barbaric.

The most humane way of execution are the guillotine and firing squad. I have no idea why they don't give those as options.

"Antoine Lavoisier, the French chemist who lived between 1743 and 1794, was caught up in the revolution and faced beheading. He asked friends to observe closely as he would continue blinking as long as possible after being killed. He was reported to have blinked for 15 seconds after decapitation."

The guillotine sure doesn't seem like the most humane way. Something that leaves the brain alone entirely sounds a hell of a lot scarier and more cruel than a gunshot to the head.

AntoneM

I am not sure I follow. It just seems like pretty basic sense to me that him killing 2 innocents is worse in terms of morality than the people screwing his execution up after being alotted 2 decades of appeals. That is all I am saying.

So, you want to pull the trigger?

This probably comes up all the time in these threads but why not an extreme morphine overdose?

It seems like the most humane way anybody could die.

Capital punishment is barbaric and should not be used in a civilized country. The rest of the Western world is shaking their heads at you.

I read an article (might have been in the NYT) that described how export bans in the European Union have limited US access to one of the three drugs in the three drug cocktail.

Unfortunately, rather than doing the sensible thing and putting executions on hold in the interim, some American states decided to try and experiment on their own to find a replacement, leading to the recent increase in botched executions.

Europeans stopped selling the old drug to the US for lethal injections because they found out it they were used for executions.

So States are trying to find ''alternative'' drugs and cocktails for lethal injections and experimenting on death row inmates.

Wait, what!?

That's why this shit is happening?

studyguy

Capital punishment is barbaric and should not be used in a civilized country. The rest of the Western world is shaking their heads at you.

I read an article (might have been in the NYT) that described how export bans in the European Union has limited US access to one of the three drugs in the three drug cocktail.

Unfortunately, rather than doing the sensible thing and putting executions on hold in the interim, some American states decided to try and experiment on their own to find a replacement, leading to the recent increase in botched executions.

That's exactly the issue, and it's a fucking embarrassment. The fact that this is just the newest botched execution in a string of them is getting to be ridiculous. First Ohio, then Oklahoma, now Arizona. Great.

cajunator

Banned
It makes me kind of wonder if people would have a favorable opinion of the death penalty if say a person gunned down their aunt in the front yard and then went inside and shot their grandparents until they stopped moving. Oh also the person who did it has zero remorse at all.

Josh7289

Executions should be banned. It's impossible to end a life cleanly. Life will always struggle to continue surviving. It's impossible for an execution to be humane.

It makes me kind of wonder if people would have a favorable opinion of the death penalty if say a person gunned down their aunt in the front yard and then went inside and shot their grandparents until they stopped moving. Oh also the person who did it has zero remorse at all.

Would I want them to die? Yes. Should the government kill them for me? No.

Abounder

Banned
Just make a headshotting execution drone already, but I suppose that would be even less humane

As for the penalty itself...eh, I can support both sides to be honest. On the one hand I don't really see much of a reason to keep murderers around. They have a history of being too dangerous, and they are simply not worth the risk for the people behind bars much less the public. On the other hand I guess the death penalty can be murder too although with the USA's prison situation it might be doing them a favor. Up to the voters.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
lol trippling down

try looking into these horrible torture drugs

dude was asleep within minutes and didn't feel a thing

So you are absolutely certain of that? It's not unknown for patients to become aware but unable to move or communicate during operations under general anesthesia. In the meantime, we're just going to experiment on death row inmates just because we can?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
People need to quit pretending there is any way to humanely execute someone. That's impossible.

This shit needs to end. It's barbaric and expensive. It's a lose/lose proposition.

FkLA

Banned
What happened to the good old fashioned shooting squad?

The crime some of these men have committed deserve to be punished by death.

daw840

I don't understand why they don't just slowly OD them on Morphine...that would be completely painless. You'd just go to sleep and stop breathing.

Anyways, this kind of shit isn't why I'm against the death penalty. The ONLY reason I'm against it is that we can never be 100% accurate in whom we put to death. Some people will be wrongly executed and this is one of those zero-sum games. If 100% can't be guaranteed then it should be nothing at all.

That said, if this guy truly did what he was accused of. Fuck em'. I don't really care if it took two hours.

Disgusting that a supposed "civilized" society still does this.
Who said the US was completely civilized? US has some crazy shit that I don't even know how to describe other than speak of the innocent people that have been sentenced to death row, and then exonerated (because they were innocent); or, the innocent people that a state has murdered under a false conviction.

More than 4 percent of inmates sentenced to death in the United States are probably innocent, according to a study published Monday that sent shock waves across the anti-death penalty community.

What the researchers call a "conservative estimate" about the number of wrongfully convicted death row inmates is more than double the percentage of capital defendants who were exonerated during more than three decades that were studied. That means innocent people are languishing behind bars, according to the study.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/28/innocent-death-penalty-study_n_5228854.html
One-in-twenty-five, at four percent. One-in-twenty, at five percent. Barbarism to satiate blood-lust and vengeance.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I kinda wonder why they don't harvest the organs of inmates like that...at least save the lives of a few people. Or did I see that in a movie somewhere?

lednerg

All of the arguments for the death penalty boil down to the same old appeal to emotion. Sure, if something heinous happened to a loved one, I'd want to strangle the attacker myself - but that doesn't matter. The State should not be acting on base human emotion. There's also no guarantee that the justice system is going to deliver a correct verdict 100% of the time. In fact, we already know it doesn't.

Disgusting.

Yet this is the land that gives you free lawyers, charges you for health care and let's almost anyone own a gun.

Nothing will change.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So, you want to pull the trigger?

No, I think good arguments have been made against the death penalty and Im not a supporter like I used to be. In this case though he was proven guilty and had plenty of time to appeal so I cant personally feel like this injustice is greater than the injustice he committed in the first place.

Huff

Banned
So you are absolutely certain of that? It's not unknown for patients to become aware but unable to move or communicate during operations under general anesthesia. In the meantime, we're just going to experiment on death row inmates just because we can?

to an extent, different drugs than general anesthesia and being used for different purposes.

during surgery they have to be more careful with sedation because they want to avoid adverse events and making someone become unstable.

here they are sedating you with pain killers until the adverse effects (respiratory depression) kill you. no under dosing required

and regarding experimenting, you'd be hard pressed to find a doc unfamiliar with a benzo/opiate combo

I don't understand why they don't just slowly OD them on Morphine...that would be completely painless. You'd just go to sleep and stop breathing.

Anyways, this kind of shit isn't why I'm against the death penalty. The ONLY reason I'm against it is that we can never be 100% accurate in whom we put to death. Some people will be wrongly executed and this is one of those zero-sum games. If 100% can't be guaranteed then it should be nothing at all.

That said, if this guy truly did what he was accused of. Fuck em'. I don't really care if it took two hours.
they want it to be fast.

and humane.

and not look awful.

at the same time.

that rules out slow stuff like morphine and stuff that looks bad like firing squads, guillotines and hangings...

what about that anesthetic stuff Michal Jackson used too much of to sleep that they use for surgery?

pump the convic full of that sleep stuff then use whatever form to end his life while he is knocked out

neoism

so you keep him and feed him for 23 years and then finally you fuck up his death... INFINITE FACEPALM......... fucking disgusting and terrible... :/

Disgusting.

Yet this is the land that gives you free lawyers, charges you for health care and let's almost anyone own a gun.

Nothing will change.
Not with that attitude, buddy. Listen up pal, the civil rights struggle is vast. Look at the progress with LGBT rights, things change friend. I reckon, pilgrim, there is a struggle ahead but you have to work for what you believe in. Fighting for it will just break stuff and cause more harm, partner.

Huff

Banned

As stated before, that is exactly what they did. And that's exactly what happened

is no one even looking at what they used to execute him

dekline

Well, hydromorphone and morphine are basically the same thing, only hydromorphone is much more potent per milligram.

bomma_man

if the right actually gave a shit about limiting government power they'd cry blue murder over this and the death penalty in general

but they don't

because they don't really care

As stated before, that is exactly what they did. And that's exactly what happened

is no one even looking at what they used to execute him
You have a seriously hard time accepting that someone died in a painful way. Just admit that you don't give a fuck he died that way and move on. Your denials are getting more and more ridiculous.

Not with that attitude, buddy. Listen up pal, the civil rights struggle is vast. Look at the progress with LGBT rights, things change friend. I reckon, pilgrim, there is a struggle ahead but you have to work for what you believe in. Fighting for it will just break stuff and cause more harm, partner.

Well the death penalty recently went to the Supreme Court and was banned for a short period in the 70s I think? While I think ultimately the SC will reverse itself once again, it's not like the US hasn't already been down this road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom