• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Experience Inc. Community Thread: "Dungeons? Yeah we got Dungeons."

Dorarnae

The woman in black isn't an Xth member, but I think there were a few other English "shits" in the game, haha. I wonder how they'll localize the language switch. There's also one character in particular I'm really interested to see how they localize.

yeah there were some funny moment, that teacher who speak in english...lol.

CrovaxPSO

The hero the Xth squad deserves. Best character ever. Seriously wonder how his dub / dialog will turn out.

Hahaha, yeah. He's such a hilarious character. Just realized since it's dub only that the English release won't have his great delivery of his lines. Hopefully the dub can match it.

Now I wish there was NPC portrait DLC for Abyss so we could have him in our party.

Shengar

There were no retail releases for the Vita in April, I thought it was a perfect month as a Vita owner. June though, we have other games.
Well it's for the general public. I think many Vita owner, especially NISA audience have other gaming device that might caught their attention more during busy times last month. I'm not saying that all Vita owner have other gaming device on their hand, but released near other big games might still obscured it *look at Toukiden Kiwami and wept.

Glad there is a community thread for Exp games now, Exp is up there now with my favorite developer, Atlus.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy is just around the corner too, can't wait.

Glad there is a community thread for Exp games now, Exp is up there now with my favorite developer, Atlus.

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy is just around the corner too, can't wait.

Totally agree. Atlus and NISA are doing god's work by bringing us all these great games over to us. I own a PS4, but I can safely say that almost 80% (or more) of my purchases all go towards my handhelds, and they all come from them. Hope NISA keeps bringing at least 1 or 2 DRPGs from Exp every year.

Totally agree. Atlus and NISA are doing god's work by bringing us all these great games over to us. I own a PS4, but I can safely say that almost 80% (or more) of my purchases all go towards my handhelds, and they all come from them. Hope NISA keeps bringing at least 1 or 2 DRPGs from Exp every year.

It's a shame Atlus moved away from developing first person dungeon crawling games, they were so fun. I had a blast with Kyuyaku and it's a shame we probably won't get any more modern first person dungeon crawling games from them any time soon.

I really hope Ray Gigant gets localized, though with Namco being the publisher that holds rights, the odds are low...

Dark_castle

It's a shame Atlus moved away from developing first person dungeon crawling games, they were so fun. I had a blast with Kyuyaku and it's a shame we probably won't get any more modern first person dungeon crawling games from them any time soon.

I really hope Ray Gigant gets localized, though with Namco being the publisher that holds rights, the odds are low...

Isn't Atlus making Etrian Odyssey 5?

Kudo

Hahaha, yeah. He's such a hilarious character. Just realized since it's dub only that the English release won't have his great delivery of his lines. Hopefully the dub can match it.

Now I wish there was NPC portrait DLC for Abyss so we could have him in our party.

Makes me a very sad man. I'm in the rift of maybe buying the english release LE and play it without voices or just hope for Global Edition one day.
Hopefully there'll be something soon that can make me forget about Abyss and I'll wake up just in time for Global Edition.
Was comparing the voices and came up to Parakeetmans gameplays of these games, they all really look wonderful.

CrovaxPSO

Makes me a very sad man. I'm in the rift of maybe buying the english release LE and play it without voices or just hope for Global Edition one day.
Hopefully there'll be something soon that can make me forget about Abyss and I'll wake up just in time for Global Edition.
Was comparing the voices and came up to Parakeetmans gameplays of these games, they all really look wonderful.

It's definitely a weird situation. My original thought was that maybe the game is still running on the original framework from the PC release and there just isn't support for a dual language option. But then I think someone from NISA said they can't talk about the reason why they couldn't get the Japanese audio. So that makes me think it was something business related. I did catch some of one of NISA's livestreams of the game, and the dub seemed good. It's always unfortunate when a game can't secure dual audio for whatever reason and people consider passing on it because of that.

Mozendo

Maybe I'm weird but I prefer the style of the older games to the newer ones. Very SMT.
Yeah, I like it too, mainly because I don't like how young the characters look in the newer art style, would have loved to play Operation Abyss with the Generation Xth art style.

An I didn't know Demon Gaze was set in the same world as SoSC and SoR, would have bought it during the golden week sale if I did. And man I have to fight the urge to play the Gen Xth fan translation, been looking forward to play OA since it was announced for localization, the same day I started (and quit) the Gen Xth translation

CrovaxPSO

Yeah, I like it too, mainly because I don't like how young the characters look in the newer art style, would have loved to play Operation Abyss with the Generation Xth art style.

An I didn't know Demon Gaze was set in the same world as SoSC and SoR, would have bought it during the golden week sale if I did. And man I have to fight the urge to play the Gen Xth fan translation, been looking forward to play OA since it was announced for localization, the same day I started (and quit) the Gen Xth translation

You can choose to have your party use the original art style that you fully customize and gear appears on the portraits, but NPC characters will still have the new art style. I like the original art style for some of the characters, and the new style for others. The new party UI is too cool to not use though.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

While its not the story and event scenes playing in classic mode will let you use the original customizable character portraits at least.

Parakeetman

It's definitely a weird situation. My original thought was that maybe the game is still running on the original framework from the PC release and there just isn't support for a dual language option. But then I think someone from NISA said they can't talk about the reason why they couldn't get the Japanese audio. So that makes me think it was something business related. I did catch some of one of NISA's livestreams of the game, and the dub seemed good. It's always unfortunate when a game can't secure dual audio for whatever reason and people consider passing on it because of that.

Since its published by MAGES could be something to do with their side and VA rights perhaps. I still think too that also the other half is just the game was not done to support it without more work with how it was made.

Faustek

Great as always Para :)

But man this reminds me that I need to actually buy Stranger of Sword city.
Could figure out the basics and play the game but man would a localisation announcement happen in the next few weeks I won't need to import it :) I'll give it to the end of June ^^

Subscribed for great justice.

I've only played Demon Gaze by this team so far, Operation Abyss will be here soon.
I dig their style and want to play as many of their games as they bring out here.

Parakeetman

Great as always Para :)

But man this reminds me that I need to actually buy Stranger of Sword city.
Could figure out the basics and play the game but man would a localisation announcement happen in the next few weeks I won't need to import it :) I'll give it to the end of June ^^

Thanks man!

Most of the basics should not be too difficult, the only thing is the skills and some story bits might throw you off. Am not sure if anyone did up an English wiki? But dont think there should be anything so hard that you would not be able to play it.

Parakeetman

Yeah I think they moved away from it seeing how popular Persona is over the traditional megaten series and such. They dont seem to be courting the same devs they had under them during the PS2 era also. As the Wizardry Alternative Busin / Busin 0 games never got any other titles past that. Also Kowloon Youma Gakuen Ki as that was another great game which never made it to the US. Has a good number of hardcore fans in Japan too.

Etrain isn't MegaTen tho :p
Is OpAbyss going to have the notes that players can leave behind for others like in Demon Gaze?

I can imagine in the localized version granted it wont have the scene you know all the "kids" are going to be leaving references to the pinay scene again. which basically plagued the localized demon gaze.

Subscribed for great justice.

I've only played Demon Gaze by this team so far, Operation Abyss will be here soon.
I dig their style and want to play as many of their games as they bring out here.

It is nice that they have been getting a lot of exposure lately and do hope that Abyss does well so they can continue the trend with NISA also Bandai Namco works to bring out Ray Gigant.

CrovaxPSO

I can imagine in the localized version granted it wont have the scene you know all the "kids" are going to be leaving references to the pinay scene again. which basically plagued the localized demon gaze.

Yeah, as far as I remember there's no huffing equivalent. Since there's a trophy in Babel for leaving notes (10 I think?) I've just been putting "hello!" in the middle of rooms.

Parakeetman

Yeah, as far as I remember there's no huffing equivalent. Since there's a trophy in Babel for leaving notes (10 I think?) I've just been putting "hello!" in the middle of rooms.

I always thought it was weird that Abyss and Babel have the note system considering there isnt like the hidden items you need to find and such. Seriously fuck those mushrooms and skulls so much hate for going around finding them lol.

CrovaxPSO

I always thought it was weird that Abyss and Babel have the note system considering there isnt like the hidden items you need to find and such. Seriously fuck those mushrooms and skulls so much hate for going around finding them lol.

Messages have helped me sometimes when my wizard misses a hidden door but yeah other than that, not much point. They can be helpful for people new to the games by warning about shock tiles and stuff though.

Parakeetman

Messages have helped me sometimes when my wizard misses a hidden door but yeah other than that, not much point. They can be helpful for people new to the games by warning about shock tiles and stuff though.

Thankfully this game is pretty obvious with the shock tiles unlike other titles in other Wiz-like games where you dont find out till you step on it or bump into the walls with shock walls. Bad times lol.

I think there might have been a game that was a dark zone with shock tiles and shock walls too... Thankfully not an exp inc title.

Later on most players will be using float constantly in dungeons once they get the ability lol

f5QEGnD.jpg

The hero we all deserve

CrovaxPSO

Thankfully this game is pretty obvious with the shock tiles unlike other titles in other Wiz-like games where you dont find out till you step on it or bump into the walls with shock walls. Bad times lol.

I think there might have been a game that was a dark zone with shock tiles and shock walls too... Thankfully not an exp inc title.

Later on most players will be using float constantly in dungeons once they get the ability lol

The hero we all deserve

Imagine an NPC portrait pack for Abyss/Babel, full party of Cohen-sensei. Unstoppable.

Parakeetman

Imagine an NPC portrait pack for Abyss/Babel, full party of Cohen-sensei. Unstoppable.

Im kinda sad they have not done that already. Since dude seriously was one of the best characters in Abyss lol Also wanted a Goto Mao & Muramasa Maasa portrait. D:

If they ever do a remake of cross blood Ill bug Chikami-san then about it.

CrovaxPSO

Muramasa and Ilith ring <3
muramasa_zpsqri8qzdq.png

would be nice if we could trade some item. I'd send you a few Crovax hehe

Haha, nice.

Tried to get a screenshot of the new graphical effects in Operation Babel, I don't think any of their other games (on Vita at least) had this kind of effect but my memory is terrible so I might be wrong. Looks really cool in motion.

arZ4mt9.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Been playing and loving Demon Gaze. It's weird. I usually don't really care for turn-based JRPGs these days for whatever reason. But for some reason that doesn't apply to DRPGs. I can still play them and love the shit outta them. Totally sold on Operation Abyss now, as well. Can't wait.

Been playing and loving Demon Gaze. It's weird. I usually don't really care for turn-based JRPGs these days for whatever reason. But for some reason that doesn't apply to DRPGs. I can still play them and love the shit outta them. Totally sold on Operation Abyss now, as well. Can't wait.

The reason might be that battles actually feel meaningful and challenging/rewarding, not like in most mainstream JRPGs?

Parakeetman

Whats nice is generally DRPGs are fairly straight forward, small story bits with then next part is going straight to the action in the dungeons.

Exp Inc games in general too are generally good with speeding up the battle. By either holding down the button or the use of a specific button which will pretty much "auto resolve" that turn instantly.

For those with not a lot of time like they used to have with games, DRPGs on a portable device are a fairly good choice if one still likes the genre.

CrovaxPSO

I still dont get why they thought it was a good idea to make Kaito sound like some goofy motherfucker, since thats one voice you will be hearing constantly.

I only saw the most recent English trailer but it sounds like the actor is trying too hard to sound young, I dunno. Alice's VA sounded pretty good on the livestream they did a bit ago.

dkoy

Hmmm what are you guys' thoughts on NISA's Operation Abyss LE? I don't usually buy LEs at all unless it's for a game I'm super hyped up for but the extras for OA look really nice.

Well I was considering it until I actually checked the NISA EU store and GBP exchange rates with AUD. Jesus christ what is NISA thinking with the straight up 1:1 price conversions from USD to GBP.

Erm back on topic, who ordered the LE from the EU store?

CrovaxPSO

Hmmm what are you guys' thoughts on NISA's Operation Abyss LE? I don't usually buy LEs at all unless it's for a game I'm super hyped up for but the extras for OA look really nice.

Well I was considering it until I actually checked the NISA EU store and GBP exchange rates with AUD. Jesus christ what is NISA thinking with the straight up 1:1 price conversions from USD to GBP.

It's pretty much the exact LE that Japan got. Same packaging, same 100+ page art book. It's actually even better though, because it includes the soundtrack which was a shop-specific pre-order bonus in Japan. Can't speak to the exchange rate but I'd say it's easily worth the $15 more.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Playing through demon gaze now it's ok. Not the best but it got pretty fun once you reached
grimordar castle.

Parakeetman

As Crovax mentioned its pretty much the same thing as what Japan got though the West gets the added bonus of the soundtrack CD. Which was pretty rare in Japan due to it being tied to a single store.
Though yeah the EU prices for from what I understand are horrible. Its been a long time problem it seems for EU customers ever since the NISE site went up with their inflated store prices it seems.
The box is pretty large also if the localized version is the same size as the JP one. Which I would image so. *pic of US version included via niche gamer.

Playing through demon gaze now it's ok. Not the best but it got pretty fun once you reached
grimordar castle.

Generally Demon Gaze and this game are not trying to reinvent the wheel, but does offer at least fairly straightforward dungeon crawling. For those who want a bit more of a complex game in terms of character advancement or story might want to look at something else. Otherwise if someone is new to the genre or had fun with Demon Gaze as the gameplay (minus the summoning) circles is generally the same with the combat and such and not too difficult, you should have a good time with Operation Abyss. The OCD loot hunting crowd should have a good time plus building / breaking down weapons and upgrading them. So lots of messing around in the lab with items. System may seem odd at first with that, but once you get the hang of how it all works becomes fairly straight forward.

One thing for sure is Op Abyss has more loot than demon gaze. So there is a lot more stuff to find. Plus if you play on classic mode all of the equipment is visible on your characters paper doll which makes for some pretty hilarious combinations at times lol. Though some folks will find the pose the character portrait paper dolls have as odd, but that is more due to them being that way so the equipment pieces can fit consistently.

If you go the new character portraits the graphic is pre-determined like Demon Gaze and equipment will not be displayed on it.

Classic Portraits

Operation Abyss Portrait

Though playing Classic mode does not change the games event / story artwork.

dkoy

It's pretty much the exact LE that Japan got. Same packaging, same 100+ page art book. It's actually even better though, because it includes the soundtrack which was a shop-specific pre-order bonus in Japan. Can't speak to the exchange rate but I'd say it's easily worth the $15 more.

100+ pages? damn that's tempting. I expect the game to be 55 AUD on the Aus PSN since that's what Demon Gaze was priced at. The LE would cost me roughly $120 (including shipping) since they're pricing it with GBP. If it were actually 15-20 dollars more I'd probably go for it but 65? I can't justify that.

I think I recall NISA having sales on their left-over stock before, any chance of that happening again with their EU store? Is it possible to buy from the US store and ship to Aus?

As Crovax mentioned its pretty much the same thing as what Japan got though the West gets the added bonus of the soundtrack CD. Which was pretty rare in Japan due to it being tied to a single store.
Though yeah the EU prices for from what I understand are horrible. Its been a long time problem it seems for EU customers ever since the NISE site went up with their inflated store prices it seems.
The box is pretty large also if the localized version is the same size as the JP one. Which I would image so. *pic of US version included via niche gamer.

Ughh! Don't tempt me more!

Parakeetman

I think I recall NISA having sales on their left-over stock before, any chance of that happening again with their EU store? Is it possible to buy from the US store and ship to Aus?

I think you might have to ask the US store about that and explain your situation. As am unsure of their shipping policies and such unfortunately.

Parakeetman

Just remembered that I think all first-print copies of the game will include the soundtrack, so really all the LE gets you is the art book. It's a really nice book, but definitely a harder sell at $60+ more than the regular game for those outside the US.

http://gematsu.com/2015/05/operatio...nch-edition-announced-cpa-orientation-trailer

Actually I think they (people who order the LE) should be good for the OST since the main site lists it as an actual part of the LE.

I think just the standard copies might be the limited run.

Limited Edition Includes:
- Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy for PS Vita
- 8" x 11", 112-page softcover art book
- 16-song, single disc original soundtrack with jewel case
- Collector's box

http://store.nisamerica.com/operation-abyss-new-tokyo-legacy

Top Bottom