• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2016 |OT| Daniil Kvyat Simulator

DavidDesu

Came here to say how much I'm loving this game.... and then moan about all the little things annoying me about it!

But I see there's been a PC patch that at least fixes some of these issues. The Fuel remaining indicator being on the same page you select fuel mix will be a godsend and is one of the first things I noticed was a missed opportunity. To be honest all the vital info like that and pit strategy could be squeezed into a one page menu with only a second page needed for all the detailed tyre and break temps (which I don't think really mean much to 99% of us, even the fairly hardcore), rather than 4 pages.

I'm on PS4 by the way so I hope this patch lands soon. I'm still annoyed I simply don't hear any of my engineer audio, at all! Doesn't seem to be a massive issue for many others but absolutely nothing I change in the audio options fixes it, just seems like a glitch in my game I've had since day one. I hope that's fixed and I hope they either tone down the reduction on in-game audio when the engineer radios in or just forget that altogether, it really disrupts my flow when I can barely hear my engine, no reason why the engineer audio can't come in clearly over the in game without needing to almost mute it!

And yeah I'll keep going on about the forced deadzone/slow responsiveness in the steering when you try and do quick direction changes on a pad. It's forced and prevents me from driving my best, often forcing me into tank slappers when I would be able to perfectly correct it much quicker if the game just gave me the same control wheel users have.

I would also like to be able to adjust the accelerator sensitivity properly (the settings in game don't really do anything except make them even twitcher and more extreme). I'd love to play with TC completely off but the triggers on DS4 simply register far too much acceleration with only a touch of input (the last quarter of trigger travel registers as near full throttle. Would love it if sensitivity was lower for the first half of accelerator travel and then it smoothly ramped up to full throttle after that. Feel like I move it not even half the way and I'm on full throttle!

DD

So I set up my racing wheel that I had lying around and never used but right now I can't get my car to accelerate. I do see the red and green bar at the bottom right of the screen increase when I hold down the pedal. Pretty sure I'm missing something really simpe that I don't know of because I've never used these things. Anyone know a fix? I use this: http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/momo-racing-force-feedback-wheel

Did you plugged it on the energy plug?

I'm still annoyed I simply don't hear any of my engineer audio, at all! Doesn't seem to be a massive issue for many others but absolutely nothing I change in the audio options fixes it, just seems like a glitch in my game I've had since day one.

You might have the engineer audio set to come through the DS4 speaker.

EDIT:

Patch 1.03 available on PS4 (327mb).

legbone

You might have the engineer audio set to come through the DS4 speaker.

EDIT:

Patch 1.03 available on PS4 (327mb).

Outstanding. Hopefully I can actually meet the required time on the tire test on expert. Had to bump it up from hard to expert because i have gotten good enough to basically set the pole position and grab first place everytime with a renault. so i bumped up to expert, problem is i can complete all tests but the tire test well enough. problem is, now i'm grabbing top ten finishes regularly on expert. scared to bump it to legend or whatever the next difficulty level is because i figure i won't be able to complete any of the tests but the first one. may have to give it a go though.

Juicy Bob

Pitted for Inters one lap too early as I was trying to get a march on the field and it cost me like 10 seconds.

Ah well. It's only Shanghai. I never would've got a good result anyway...

legbone

well, just tried out the new patch. now i can't complete tire test or qualifying test on expert (was just having trouble with the tire test on expert). qualified 22nd. not sure if it's me, the new patch, or fucking silverstone (not one of my faves). looks like it's going to be hard for me now. at least i know where i belong. i wish there was some way to set the practice programs and qualifying to one difficulty and then race on expert because when i race i feel i could stay with expert or even bump up one but then i can't do the practice programs well enough. maybe it's just me though.

edit: just got the call from my agent and she states they expect me to finish 13th or higher in the race. i qualified 22nd. :| I was looking for the alonso maniacal laugh button.

edit 2: just ran p1 through p3 and qualifying on hard at hungary. had purple on all three training programs by the end of q2. grabbed pole easily. may be due to the rain during qualifying but i have a feeling i would have grabbed pole anyway. may be a placebo but post patch hard seems easier and expert seems harder. i think i'm imagining things though. guess i'll pretend i'm a phenom and the greatest driver of all time instead of a scrappy up and comer. oh well. if i don't burn out, my second career will be on expert and i'll see what happens.

JDB

Banned
I know that it was a silly question, but I made that mistake, haha!

Anyway try updating your wheel drivers.

Managed to fix it. Had to find the proper drivers and setup in the description of some random Youtube video but I fixed it. :)

Ryne

Baku is freaking amazing. That castle part I will never get right, I think I'm going too fast through it so I keep going off line.

Randdalf

Baku is freaking amazing. That castle part I will never get right, I think I'm going too fast through it so I keep going off line.

I really liked Baku too. In the castle part, I tended to go slow into the corner, then line the car up and accelerate through the turn in one go. I definitely messed up that corner more than most though. Except perhaps the one before the pit straight, which you can take flat out if you turn at just the right time.

DD

I failed to win in Bahrein. Managed to qualify in P2 and got in first place on the first lap with my Renault. I thought I had it, but the three stop strategy messed up my race and I came back in 5th place. I overtook Raikkonen on the closing laps, but I could've done it earlier, but my engineer called an yellow flag up ahead, so I backed and waited for another chance. There were no f*ckin yellow flag, and the time I lost because of that costed me a place on the podium. I finished in 4th place, just 0.1 second behind Vettel. =|

Then I went to China. The weather was chaotic and it seems that the AI is generally slower than me on wet weather, or maybe it was because they were running dry setups and I prepared my car for the rain. Qualified on P1, 2.6 seconds ahead of P2. The race started dry and the Mercs were punching me. Hamilton got the lead, but he was on super softs, so he had to pit and I stayed on the track with my soft tires, waiting for the rain, with Raikkonen following me close, but then he passed me and it started to rain. We both go to the pits for intermediate tires, and in these circumstances I was faster than him. I overtook him and opened a good gap of almost 8 seconds between us. I lowered the fuel mix to save a bit, since it was an easy race. I wasn't sure if I needed to pit again, but Raikkonen had stopped, so I decided to take no risk and changed again for intermediate tires while the rain was getting heavier. He was on full wets and the track started to get really dump. He got the lead, but I was counting with the rain getting weaker by the end of the race. But he opened a 7.5 second gap ahead of me, and I was getting desperate, then I asked about the weather to my engineer and the bastard said that he couldn't get me any info about that. I asked again and he said that he simply couldn't, the f*ckin' bastard. No f*ckin' way I'm gonna lose this, I said to myself, and started to push. I started to see Raikkonen's car getting close ahead lap after lap, and the rain did got lighter. Then I got back to the lead and that's how I won my first race. :)

Some screenshots of the battle with the Iceman:

391040_20160904145414s2p1r.jpg

Yep, that's me trying not to lose my shit in a dump track with intermediate tires.

391040_20160904145637fbp7z.jpg

391040_20160904145040fmkbi.jpg

391040_20160904145121h3jtn.jpg

Managed to fix it. Had to find the proper drivers and setup in the description of some random Youtube video but I fixed it. :)

Cool! Now you'll know how amazing this game feels with a wheel. Don't forget to set it at 360º.

Putty

Just done P1 at Sochi. I'm settled on Hard....every time I was on a flying lap I hit traffic! Bastards...I'm Lewis btw...anyway, Kimi led the way 6ths up on me but there was a second to come off because of the traffic, so we'll see how P2 goes. Pad user...

Megasoum

Banned
Couch gaming on PC means no mic.=/

When the Engineer tells you that he's thinking of a new strategy you press the Radio Button to open the menu where you will see two choices, Change to the new strat or keep the old strat.

If you have a mic you can say which one you want or you can just use the dpad. If I remember correctly it's Dpad right to switch to the new strat.

JClarke

Banned
I purchased this game strictly cause a friend of mine is one of the default character faces you can pick.

Is it worth a play even if I know nothing of the sport etc ?

Megasoum

Banned
Fuck I love my Thrusmaster F1 Rim...

Being able to change the fuel mix with one flick of the little dial with my thumb is so so cool.

I was switching between lean and standard between sectors which is something I would never do if I had to let go fo the wheel to go press on the terrible dpad.

DD

I purchased this game strictly cause a friend of mine is one of the default character faces you can pick.

Is it worth a play even if I know nothing of the sport etc ?

Do you like racing games and racing in general? If the answer is yes, then hell yeah!

Speaking of the default faces, there's no one that kind of looks like me, so I chose one white dude with a chubby face. Now I'm stuck with this blue eyed blond dude that really doesn't look like me at all. =/

At least my helmet ended up being kind of cool, tho.

Shaneus

Anyone have an opinion on this vs Dirt Rally?
In terms of quality? They're both by Codemasters (different internal teams though) and they're both REALLY fucking good. If you're a beginner, F1 is probably more friendly and has a more fleshed out career mode, but both are amazing in their own right.

DD

In terms of quality? They're both by Codemasters (different internal teams though) and they're both REALLY fucking good. If you're a beginner, F1 is probably more friendly and has a more fleshed out career mode, but both are amazing in their own right.

This.

Fox Mulder

Codemasters is on it right now. I'm excited for what theyll put out with Evolution too.

Turbo91GT

Anyone have an opinion on this vs Dirt Rally?

Both are great games. I own them both and I am very impressed.

If you prefer driving, get Dirt Rally. It's mostly just you and your car versus the rally course or hill climb. You can race other cars in rallycross, but I hate it because the AI is too quick and the cars handle like garbage.

If you prefer racing, get F1 2016. It's you racing wheel to wheel with 21 other cars. There are so many options and assists you can tailor the game to your ability level. It's a huge improvement over F1 2015. There are so many details that I'm still learning something new every race.

Megasoum

Banned
Going to Austria after having to deal with shitty Baku is one hell of a palate cleanser.

Except for the thing that the second sector is a tire killer for the tire test.

One of my favorite track. I miss all those old school tracks.

Ryne

I think the game changed after the latest patch. Much easier with TC on, and with medium TC I'm destroying the CPU.

Anyone feel the same/different? I think any handling changes should be announced in the patch notes.

PatjuhR

Alright, I bought this game together with a friend and I only played a few races on easy. This is my first time playing a F1 game, but I've played my racing games. Grid, Dirt and Driveclub, but most of the time I was just doing time trials with friends and trying to beat each others times.

But now in F1 I also have to race and that's my problem. I do okay in qualifying, but when I start racing I'm getting all kinds of trouble. So I need help with that. When I'm in traffic I always end up getting bumped by the AI and spinning of where my friend stays out of trouble, so it's really my fault.

For example, I had an illegal overtake so I had to slow down and give a position back, but while going to the side and letting the AI pass he just bumped me on the side and there I went, off track again…

So I need advice on how to position myself when I'm in traffic and how to overtake without getting fucked from behind by the person I passed.

mxgt

Banned
Finally got myself a wheel setup - G920 + Wheel Stand Pro and took the dive and turned all assists off.

Man, it's such a different experience than playing with a pad with TC on. Taking me a while to learn how to control it, but it's so much more satisfying to drive a good lap with a wheel + assists off.

Nyx

Alright, I bought this game together with a friend and I only played a few races on easy. This is my first time playing a F1 game, but I've played my racing games. Grid, Dirt and Driveclub, but most of the time I was just doing time trials with friends and trying to beat each others times.

But now in F1 I also have to race and that's my problem. I do okay in qualifying, but when I start racing I'm getting all kinds of trouble. So I need help with that. When I'm in traffic I always end up getting bumped by the AI and spinning of where my friend stays out of trouble, so it's really my fault.

For example, I had an illegal overtake so I had to slow down and give a position back, but while going to the side and letting the AI pass he just bumped me on the side and there I went, off track again…

So I need advice on how to position myself when I'm in traffic and how to overtake without getting fucked from behind by the person I passed.

I think the AI will move off the racing line if it's behind you and wants to pass you.
So if you think the same (''I will move from the racing line to let him pass'') they will crash into you.

Keep an eye out for the white markers when someone is right behind you, when you see it switch to the left or right fast, the AI is about to try and pass you on that side.

PatjuhR

I think the AI will move off the racing line if it's behind you and wants to pass you.
So if you think the same (''I will move from the racing line to let him pass'') they will crash into you.

Keep an eye out for the white markers when someone is right behind you, when you see it switch to the left or right fast, the AI is about to try and pass you on that side.

Alright, I think that last tip will already work wonders for me as I haven't been paying attention to that.

I'm also thinking about leaving the easy mode, because (even when I'm not doing good yet) I feel if I want to get better at this game I can't have almost everything done for me.

Spades

No opportunity to take the #1 when you win the championship before you start your second season. Or change your helmet, etc. The whole 10-year championship is very disappointing. There is no real reason to bother with it; especially as none of the other drivers switch teams.

Nyx

Alright, I think that last tip will already work wonders for me as I haven't been paying attention to that.

I'm also thinking about leaving the easy mode, because (even when I'm not doing good yet) I feel if I want to get better at this game I can't have almost everything done for me.

I'm not a very good racer but the ''hard'' difficulty has been great for me so far.
It's not so easy that you can reach the podium in a Manor or something, but also not too hard.

DD

I think the game changed after the latest patch. Much easier with TC on, and with medium TC I'm destroying the CPU.

Anyone feel the same/different? I think any handling changes should be announced in the patch notes.

Yeah, there was a new patch on Steam yesterday, but I haven't tried it yet. Are you feeling that the car is really easier to drive, or is it just that you're feeling that you're much faster than the AI? The AI speed varies a bit from circuit to circuit. On Bahrein, for example, it is slower than in Australia, for example, to the point that you can actually win a race with a very weak car.

Lach

Won Spain yesterday (still on Hard). Did expect a more difficult race (people were saying Spain was a hike in difficulty.

Went with Soft-Medium-Soft (planned was Soft-Medium-Medium, but the first two stints went better than expected plus a safety car period). In the last few laps Hamilton was breathing down my neck on Hard tires.

Will keep difficulty on Hard for Monaco but then put it one higher. Problem will be that I'm currently on a rivalry with Vettel which I'll definetly loose.

DD

Won Spain yesterday (still on Hard). Did expect a more difficult race (people were saying Spain was a hike in difficulty.

Went with Soft-Medium-Soft (planned was Soft-Medium-Medium, but the first two stints went better than expected plus a safety car period). In the last few laps Hamilton was breathing down my neck on Hard tires.

Will keep difficulty on Hard for Monaco but then put it one higher. Problem will be that I'm currently on a rivalry with Vettel which I'll definetly loose.
I can follow the AI on Expert with TC on medium and all the rest off/manual. My problem with it is that is that I really have to be f*ckin' perfect and on the edge of my seat all the time. One thing is doing a perfect lap once, but doing 30 perfect laps is impossible. I don't have the mental strength for that. So if Ryne is right about the new patch, then I'll be happier, cuz' I will be able to turn the TC off or go to expert difficulty on the AI. :3

EDIT: I know I could set the AI on expert and turn some more assists on, but I want to fight the car a bit too. :3

legbone

how long of a race? 50% or higher, because a two stop strategy isn't viable for me in a 25% race. that or i really don't know what i'm doing. for one thing, should i always pit and swap tires on a safety car? with a one stop strategy i think i should. i lost a race where i was sitting at pole because i didn't pit on the safety car i think.

DavidDesu

Sorted out my radio problem! I use the PlayStation Wireless headset and I always have my chat/game volume on 100% game volume. It seems the game sends the radio chat through the actual multiplayer chat channel, so you need to balance the setting so you can hear the radio engineer. Never seen a game do that before, and it's a stupid solution to be honest. Would much rather it be part of the rest of the game audio.

Randdalf

Agh I really wish there was a difficulty slider; I am winning races and getting pole positions as Manor on Hard, and I can't get within a second of Rio Haryanto on Expert. It's frustrating, because my level of skill seems to be in the middle of those two somewhere, so the races either end up being really easy, or really hard (although I tend to do better in the race).

Also I'm pretty amazed how much faster Ultimate is than hard (about 3 seconds), it's crazy to me that you can be 3 seconds quicker. Like, I play on a controller, and I don't use manual, adjust brake bias, have no anti-brake lock etc. but for the difference to be 3 seconds just shows me how bad I am :D

Megasoum

Banned
I'm watching the latest career video from Aarava and I just noticed that sometimes his "Fuel" icon in the bottom right is light up yellow? I've never seen that, anybody knows what that means?

Juicy Bob

Agh I really wish there was a difficulty slider; I am winning races and getting pole positions as Manor on Hard, and I can't get within a second of Rio Haryanto on Expert. It's frustrating, because my level of skill seems to be in the middle of those two somewhere, so the races either end up being really easy, or really hard (although I tend to do better in the race).

Also I'm pretty amazed how much faster Ultimate is than hard (about 3 seconds), it's crazy to me that you can be 3 seconds quicker. Like, I play on a controller, and I don't use manual, adjust brake bias, have no anti-brake lock etc. but for the difference to be 3 seconds just shows me how bad I am :D
When you say you can't get within a second of Rio, do you mean in practice?

In my experience so far, I think there's some kind of 'track rubber-in' system in play. Because I'm always off the pace in P1 but by the time I've done a qualifying simulation run in Q3 I'm up in the mix again and always qualify higher than I was expecting.

I'd suggest sticking with Expert through an entire race weekend and just see how it goes.

Lach

I'm watching the latest career video from Aarava and I just noticed that sometimes his "Fuel" icon in the bottom right is light up yellow? I've never seen that, anybody knows what that means?

It's a warning that you might getting low on your fuel. You can set 3 fuel settings. Standard, Rich (using more fuel for slightly more speed) and Lean (using less fuel). It allows for some strategy. If you're in traffic or during a safety car period you can safe fuel by going into Lean mode and accumulate some extra fuel to use by running in Rich mode later. Or the other way round of course.
The game displays this by telling you, you are for example +1.3 laps on fuel. That means that you have fuel for 1.3 more laps than the race will be if you keep running in standard.

The fuel light comes up as a warning (yellow means you are still good but getting close to 0.00. It will light up in red if the game thinks you'll run out of fuel.

I was lucky to notice a yellow light after I was running a few laps in Rich, when I thought I had set it back to Standard.

Megasoum

Banned
It's a warning that you might getting low on your fuel. You can set 3 fuel settings. Standard, Rich (using more fuel for slightly more speed) and Lean (using less fuel). It allows for some strategy. If you're in traffic or during a safety car period you can safe fuel by going into Lean mode and accumulate some extra fuel to use by running in Rich mode later. Or the other way round of course.
The game displays this by telling you, you are for example +1.3 laps on fuel. That means that you have fuel for 1.3 more laps than the race will be if you keep running in standard.

The fuel light comes up as a warning (yellow means you are still good but getting close to 0.00. It will light up in red if the game thinks you'll run out of fuel.

I was lucky to notice a yellow light after I was running a few laps in Rich, when I thought I had set it back to Standard.

A right. Yeah I know about the Fuel Mix setting but I guess I never got close enough to 0 to get the light.

I love switching fuel mix depending on what sector I'm on. For example right now I'm in Austria so I'll often run in Rich until turn 3 and then go back down to standard or lean for the second sector.

Randdalf

When you say you can't get within a second of Rio, do you mean in practice?

In my experience so far, I think there's some kind of 'track rubber-in' system in play. Because I'm always off the pace in P1 but by the time I've done a qualifying simulation run in Q3 I'm up in the mix again and always qualify higher than I was expecting.

I'd suggest sticking with Expert through an entire race weekend and just see how it goes.

It was in P2 yeah (P1 was raining, I did a few laps for the R&D points). In qualifying so far (6 mins left in the session) I'm only 2 tenths behind Haryanto, so I think you're right. I was actually beating him then he went out and set a faster lap. I'm faster than him in sector 1 and barely faster in sector 2, but my sector 3 time is letting me down, I think it's the braking zone before the first hairpin where I'm losing time.

edit: I was racing in Hungary, forgot to specify.

legbone

i'm stuck between hard and expert still. i've decided to basically alternate between the two so i don't win the driver's championship my rookie year. i get top 5 consistently on hard and get bottom 5 consistently on expert. purple all testing on hard and can only purple the first one (farthest to the left), track acclimitazation (sp?). forget about a slider codies, just give me a "legbone" difficulty between hard and expert. in all seriousness it seem a lot of people are in the same boat as me and i just can't "get gud". i think a slider is in order.

Top Bottom