• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook has acquired Oculus VR for 2 Billion US Dollars

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/80832803371/riftbook
Haha gotta love Cliff's comment on Notch at the end, I completely agree...

"p.s. Notch, your cancelling Minecraft makes you look like a pouty kid who is taking his ball and going home. It’s a bratty and petty move and it saddens me greatly."

That might have been true if he was the only one cancelling his Oculus project, some guy posted on reddit that he talked to other devs and he counted that at least 12 Oculus projects were being cancelled because of the news. These guys have actual experience with the Facebook integration crap and they have swore never to touch anything Facebook has its hands on for the rest of their lives.

Huh? Notch parted 10k into Oculus, that's no chump change. And he stands to gain nothing from this move. Notch has reasons to be mad.

Meanwhile Cliff's blogpost that's prefaced with "fuck you bitch Im gettting paid" is supposed to be some vindication?

Notch also put 10,000 into Ouya, so hes happy thats failing because they have no strong connections?
Kinda weird situation.

I mean was only announced yesterday Nvidia shield is getting portal 1, Nvidia paid for the port. Ouya couldnt afford a E3 booth.

That might have been true if he was the only one cancelling his Oculus project, some guy posted on reddit that he talked to other devs and he counted that at least 12 Oculus projects were being cancelled because of the news. These guys have actual experience with the Facebook integration crap and they have swore never to touch anything Facebook has its hands on for the rest of their lives.

Isn't it funny how people can come out and defend the sellout by posting Clifford's blog post as support, because you know, he knows what's right, but then they diss Notch and all other developerswho pulled off their projects, because you know, what do they know?

Guys, Notch, and other developers, know what/who facebook is, what it means to develop for them, and they have just as valid reasons to not develop for them.

You can't just take Cliff's opinion as fact and look down on Notch because of his stance.

Cliff's own comments are hypocrisy at its best. If you can call Notch out for his decision, why the fuck should I listen to you? If he isn't entitled to an opinion, why the fuck do you have one?

Triple U

Banned
My first time reading this.

MENLO PARK, Calif., March 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Facebook today announced that it has reached a definitive agreement to acquire Oculus VR, Inc., the leader in immersive virtual reality technology, for a total of approximately $2 billion. This includes $400 million in cash and 23.1 million shares of Facebook common stock (valued at $1.6 billion based on the average closing price of the 20 trading days preceding March 21, 2014 of $69.35 per share). The agreement also provides for an additional $300 million earn-out in cash and stock based on the achievement of certain milestones.

Eww at that stock payout.

FB is all that and a bag of chips right now but I wouldn't keep any significant amount of money in their equity.

Seanspeed

Banned
His statement of Facebook having a "multi billion user reach" helping is hilarious. 99% won't have a device powerful enough for Oculus for quite a while.
But that number will go down over time. VR is here to stay and so long as they can get in on the initial hype, start penetrating mass market, not necessarily with sales, but just in terms of marketing and having people associate 'Oculus' with VR(as there's bound to be competitors down the line), they will be in a prime seat to capitalize on VR expansion.

And 'casuals' also wont necessarily need some super computer to use VR. For us, we're trying to play these modern games with high tech graphics and whatnot that will of course put a heavy strain on a system. There's a lot of potential with VR that doesn't involve high-tech games or even games at all. Just the ability to output video at a certain resolution/framerate would be good enough for a lot of things.

Things are just gonna get more and more accessible as time goes on.

kartu

Banned
Proof it's been in deep development since 2010? I would think a hardware corporation as large as Sony would be ahead of Oculus in development if they've been developing VR since 2010.

There is no hard proof they aren't far ahead of Oculus either.
Sony had annually released consumer grade HMD's from 2011.
OR had motivation to show work in progress device to the public, Sony, on the opposite, would keep it secret.

OR and Morpheus seem rather different too. Morpheus is likely using external camera to help with position tracking.

Aaron

Cliff's own comments are hypocrisy at its best. If you can call Notch out for his decision, why the fuck should I listen to you? If he isn't entitled to an opinion, why the fuck do you have one?
Well, they've both taken money from Microsoft. Cliff is the one who isn't hypocritical about it.

Why do conspiracy theorists always say, 'You're the one who's being naive! One day you'll see!' Is it in the handbook?

Comes down to something beautiful and exciting being consumed by something that's at best a bit icky. I don't see the benefits at all and am disappoint.

spekkeh

Banned
Oculus Rift was on primetime television in the Netherlands yesterday (1 in 8 dutchmen watch that show) with a super enthusiast tech geek letting the host experience a live demo.

(the host immediately got motion sick and said he thought it was awful but still)

The acquisition by Facebook, like it or not, May be the single most important step in the viability of the medium.

It just blew up to mainstream and I can't help but think a significant part of the grumbling is hipster attitude.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Oculus Rift was on primetime television in the Netherlands yesterday (1 in 8 dutchmen watch that show) with a super enthusiast tech geek letting the host experience a live demo.

(the host immediately got motion sick and said he thought it was awful but still)

The acquisition by Facebook, like it or not, May be the single most important step in the viability of the medium.
I agree. It was an amazing technology, but it wasn't until this acquisition that mainstream news started saying "this is important".

OR had motivation to show work in progress device to the public, Sony, on the opposite, would keep it secret.

OR and Morpheus seem rather different too. Morpheus is likely using external camera to help with position tracking.

Actually, short of using an LCD screen as opposed to OLED and having tracking LEDs in the back of the headset, Morpheus is pretty much identical to the Oculus DK2. It could be convergent evolution, but seeing how the HMZ is designed I'm not convinced that Sony didn't draw most of their inspiration from Oculus.

Rafterman

Banned
More importantly, they needed an ecosystem. IF their system is going to be (hopefully) a dedicated system instead of a (ugh) peripheral they need their version of whatever the app store would be. Your device is only as good as the store and community around it]

This is exactly what I was afraid of when I saw the news of the sale. I don't want a dedicated Facebook ecosystem or some ridiculous app store. What exactly is wrong with it being a peripheral?

Good stuff, but I'm not convinced.

2 billion $ offer is and remains in my opinion the determining factor.

Yep. "Show me the money!" Let's not beat around the bush here, this is ALL about the money ($2billion in this case).

Sure, CliffyB can say justify it or say whatever he wants, but in the end the majority of it is bullshit. I am surprised however that he did admit he has a lot invested and this buyout will net him massive profits.

P.S. I'm sure the Oculus guys already have their orders in for their new Lamborghinis and Ferrari's, and are looking at buying new beach front mansions for themselves.

TLDR: It's all about the money, everything else is bullshit.

Seanspeed

Banned

Oculus uses an external camera for the same thing. They're pretty damn similar at this point.

This is exactly what I was afraid of when I saw the news of the sale. I don't want a dedicated Facebook ecosystem or some ridiculous app store. What exactly is wrong with it being a peripheral?

Yet people welcome it with open arms.. and I'm called out for being a pessimist. SMH..

spekkeh

Banned
People like ecosystems. It gives them an illusion of quality control, likewise for developers, they have the idea that their product will get exposure. If it remained a peripheral, it would remain hyper niche.

They want you to be forced to buy directly from them, ensuring they get a sizable cut of every software app sold.

CliffyB agrees with this model because as an investor it will net him the biggest return.

Good for the consumer? Maybe, maybe not. Good for CliffyB? You bet.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yep. "Show me the money!" Let's not beat around the bush here, this is ALL about the no money ($2billion in this case).

Sure, CliffyB can say justify it or say whatever he wants, but in the end the majority of it is bullshit. I am surprised however that he did admit he has a lot invested and this buyout will net him massive profits.

P.S. I'm sure the Oculus guys already have their orders in for their new Lamborghinis and Ferrari's, and are looking at buying new beach front mansions for themselves.

TLDR: It's all about the money, everything else is bullshit.

TLDR:
TLDR: I don't really know what I'm talking about but I will freely talk as if I do.

Seanspeed

Banned
People like ecosystems. It gives them an illusion of quality control, likewise for developers, they have the idea that their product will get exposure. If it remained a peripheral, it would remain hyper niche.
Pretty sure they've already mentioned that they're already working on an ecosystem, but it wont be mandatory. Which is quite ideal. Think something like Steam. A place to go for the games/experiences you want and to browse for new ones, where your friends will be, where your library is stored in cloud servers, etc.

TLDR: I don't really know what I'm talking about but I will freely talk as if I do.

Haha, continue being easily fooled. Hey, I got a pet rock to sell you!

Let me guess, you saw the infomercial for the Slapchop and ordered 200 units? How is your lifetime supply of Shamwow treating you?

Back on topic, a dedicated ecosystem is the smartest plan financially for them and their investors. Same thing with this buyout, it was a smart move financially. Facebook has deep pockets.

Wiktor

I really don't get all the people who try to play this down and pretend it's not terrible news..

This is the equivalent of Microsoft buying out 3dfx in 1995.
It's great news actually for the whole VR movement.
Also I don't see how exactly would Microsoft buying 3dfx make things worse hn 1995

Triple U

Banned
Actually, short of using an LCD screen as opposed to OLED and having tracking LEDs in the back of the headset, Morpheus is pretty much identical to the Oculus DK2. It could be convergent evolution, but seeing how the HMZ is designed I'm not convinced that Sony didn't draw most of their inspiration from Oculus.

The HMZ is part of why I think they didn't take much from Oculus. Most of their design choices seem like logical evolutions of their already existing concepts. LED tracking, camera tracking, motion control.

SparkTR

It was always going to have it's own store. The concern about it being tailored by Facebook is valid, but it was never going to be solely a peripheral. We've know this since day one.

Seanspeed

Banned
Haha, continue being easily fooled. Hey, I got a pet rock to sell you!

Let me guess, you saw the infomercial for the Slapchop and ordered 200 units?

Back on topic, a dedicated ecosystem is the smartest plan financially for them and their investors.
I suppose you probably have a lot of experience with tech hardware startups and being bought by billion dollar companies, my bad. I shouldn't doubt your expertise in such matters.

And with the ecosystem, I wonder how Valve feels about it all? They were essentially setting up Steam to be the VR store for games. I suppose they can still have that, while Oculus/FB create a store that has games, but also many other things? Thing is, that 'many other things' wont come til later, so do they compete with Valve from the get-go or do they wait til they can offer something that Valve cant/wont?

Wiktor

It was always going to have it's own store. The concern about it being tailored by Facebook is valid, but it was never going to be solely a peripheral. We've know this since day one.

FB might have it's own store, but there's no way this will be the only place where you can buy Oculous Rift compatibile games.

I suppose you probably have a lot of experience with tech hardware startups and being bought by billion dollar companies, my bad. I shouldn't doubt your expertise in such matters.

It's called smart business, and making money. What is your argument anyways? Did I hurt your feelings because you believe every word CliffyB says when he even admits he might be slightly biased?(by being financially invested)

I never said getting rich was a bad thing, but the $2 billion was a major factor in this deal.
Oculus 100% made the right decision by selling to Facebook for that price. They would have been stupid for turning it down.

It's great news actually for the whole VR movement.
Also I don't see how exactly would Microsoft buying 3dfx make things worse hn 1995

Instead of the glide -> OpenGL API development that has today made Steambox, Android and Linux gaming a possibility we would have gone straight to DirectX 3D acceleration.

Do I really need to explain what that would do for PC gaming? Because I think what Microsoft tried to do with GFWL once they had something of an API leverage speaks volumes.

Pioneer technologies in the hands of abusive corporations is always bad for innovation.

Facebook did not pour money into OR to fund its development, they poured money in it to monopolize it and develop their own walled garden ecosystem of VR utilities/games down the line.

That shit is good for no one and nothing, except Oculus executives and shareholders who are all super duper happy about the deal (Carmack, Cliff, etc.)

Wake up and smell the ashes, the Oculus dream burned down. It's now just another corporate cog in the machine.

I just read Cliffy B's blog about this. There's some good stuff there. Deep down I think he's right that the buyout by Facebook was a good thing but I still can't shake this uneasy feeling. I'll just look forward to seeing how things turn out in the next couple years. The future 30 years from now is going to be insane.

Oh yeah, but this:
p.s. Notch, your cancelling Minecraft makes you look like a pouty kid who is taking his ball and going home. It’s a bratty and petty move and it saddens me greatly.
What a stupid comment to make. Cliffy B is the real child here. He can't just send Notch an email? What a loser. "Saddens me greatly" pfft.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's called smart business, and making money. What is your argument anyways? Did I hurt your feelings because you believe every word CliffyB says when he even admits he might be slightly biased?(by being financially invested)

I never said getting rich was a bad thing, but the $2 billion was a major factor in this deal.
Oculus 100% made the right decision by selling to Facebook for that price. They would have been stupid for turning it down.
My argument is that making billions of dollars was not the main priority for these guys. The money is nice sure, but I don't think they would have taken it had they not also got some assurances in terms of being able to continue to work on their 'dream project' like they wanted to. This has been a passion project from the beginning, not a money making scheme. Carmack left a successful company in order to join a tech startup and Palmer was just an 18/19 year old in his garage piecing together scavenged parts because he was a big fan of HMD's and wanted a large FOV headset to do some VR applications. And since then, everything he's sold to devs/consumers has been pretty much at cost. Not exactly something somebody would do if their priority was to make big bucks.

Just sayin - its not fair to paint them as just 'selling out' and cashing in for an easy buck or something. I do not question their integrity even throughout all this. The deal makes sense in a lot of ways, more than just for how it lines their pockets.

Wiktor

Instead of the glide -> OpenGL API development that has today made Steambox, Android and Linux gaming a possibility we would have gone straight to DirectX 3D acceleration.

OpenGL still lost back then though. And if MS would buy the company out we might have reached mass market acceleration much faster. Instead we had to wait till late 97 before it truly clicked.

Do I really need to explain what that would do for PC gaming? Because I think what Microsoft tried to do with GFWL once they had something of an API leverage speaks volumes.
And GFWL failed. So did Vista with DirectX 10. And now Windows 8 with it's Marketplace joined that list of failures. PC market has shown again and again that it won't allow Microsoft to enforce their inferior solutions just because they produce the dominating OS.

Pioneer technologies in the hands of abusive corporations is always bad for innovation.

Without big corporations those pioneer technologies can never become widely popular though.

That shit is good for no one and nothing, except Oculus executives and shareholders who are all super duper happy about the deal (Carmack, Cliff, etc.)

Actually no. it's amazing for VR. Because instead of being a device forever destined to remain niche it has a genuine chance of becoming a phenomenon. You're kidding yourself if you think the company could have pushed VR into standard on it's own.

Facebook will make VR popular and after they if they start to fuck with it, other companies will take over. Just like it has happened many times before. But there won't be anything to take over off if some big corporation without endless stream of money won't turn it into a viable market.

I think most of what Cliffy had to say is reasonable. However, "it saddens me greatly" that he had to be a dick and call out Notch for putting his money where his mouth is.

Just sayin - its not fair to paint them as just 'selling out' and cashing in for an easy buck or something. I do not question their integrity even throughout all this. The deal makes sense in a lot of ways, more than just for how it lines their pockets.

I love the optimism, and the faith in humanity. This buyout certainly fulfills tons of general financial/business needs, while simultaneously giving the Rift a platform in which to go mainstream.

From a strictly consumer standpoint, it's hard not to look at business from a pessimistic viewpoint, considering how badly greed/evil permeates throughout the corporate world.

Again, for Oculus this deal was 10000% the right move.

I guess it's too early to know for sure how this will end up. When billions of dollars are exchanged, however, I'm going to err on the side of pessimism. For now atleast. The fact that CliffyB has his own money on the line makes me take his opinion with a grain. of salt.

mAcOdIn

Eh, maybe, maybe things would have worked out even better, perhaps 3DFX would have brought MS to its knees financially ushering in an open source revolution(still gimped in 3d :(). Who's to say. Probably not though.
Facebook did not pour money into OR to fund its development, they poured money in it to monopolize it and develop their own walled garden ecosystem of VR utilities/games down the line.
I want to know how Facebook can monopolize this. How? The Oculus Rift is just one device, many have been tried before and many can try now, buying Oculus doesn't somehow magically prohibit anyone else from entering the same market. And concerning this walled garden fear, I've no doubt that Facebook will provide some apps just from their page using their crappy app system, that much is certain, however, what precedence is there for saying the Oculus Rift would be tied to that? What peripheral has ever been so tied to a single storefront that it couldn't function with any other software? It's my belief that hardware is easier copied than software, you can have a compelling piece of kit but if everything on it is ass it's not going to go anywhere, on the other hand if you have great software people would chomp at the bit to move it over to other hardware. If Facebook did do something unprecedented and stupid so as to tie a PC peripheral to their store and apps only I guarantee you someone else would copy and make the Oculus Rift and people would port their crap over, it'd be the death of Facebook's goal. Some Taiwanese or Korean company would be shitting VR headsets by the thousands. When Facebook was rumored to be making a phone did people think it'd only run Facebook or some crap?

It's in Facebook's and our interest that it not only work with whatever Facebook does but work as any other PC peripheral on the market now and work with near anything.
Wake up and smell the ashes, the Oculus dream burned down. It's now just another corporate cog in the machine.
This is probably the closest thing to the truth or reality in this thread. It's no longer some geeky David and Goliath scenario where people can engage in self-masturbatory circle jerks and feel smug about this company while feeling they also are contributing to its success. No longer can one be an Oculus Rift Acolyte spreading the unheard, new and edgy gospel of VR. Those intangible feelings that ultimately mattered little, well yeah, those are done either way. Facebook can do this right or they can do it wrong but either way that feeling is dead.

My question is then, so what? To me I'm a little surprised. If the mission and cause was really about VR and it being the future nothing should have changed yet. To compare this with religion imagine yourself as one of the first evangelical Christians, or someone else it doesn't matter. You've got this new religion going and you want to spread the gospel around. For awhile you're rebels, a small nit group fighting the good fight against the established faith. Now, what happens then when that established group converts to your faith? You think all the evangelicals got pissed off went back to the drawing board and came up with a new edgier religion to spite their old one? This to me is just kind of selfish. So what if there's no underdog now, what the hell does that change? Why should people sabotage or bemoan the very idea they were supporting days earlier just because it's now somewhat popular and the established elite have embraced it? Does this really all come down to just feeling good about yourself and not the actual cause or product?

Edit: Further, apparently people had faith in the guy who started this, if he's still there maybe you should, I dunno still have faith in him. If you didn't have faith in the guy pitching the message then why the heck did anyone support it?

spwolf

I am not anti-corporation or anti-facebook. I like facebook for what it is and I use it daily to connect with friends and family that dont live close. For that, it is great.

However Facebook has shown in the past that they are pretty ruthless corporation that does not care for their users, just their bottom line. They constantly change everything to maximize their profit, with little regard to customer satisfaction.

This really does not work well for gaming industry so I envision that in the future there will be some problems in communication between them as OR guys probably dont want to do anything thats perfect for their user.

They are very different from Google (who is not perfect at all), or even Microsoft as they provide their base service for free and they are now under assumption that their customer's opinion is completely worthless.

OpenGL still lost back then though. And if MS would buy the company out we might have reached mass market acceleration much faster. Instead we had to wait till late 97 before it truly clicked.

While I concede that MS would have helped adoption, I'll have to point out that the adopted would have been something completely different. The early years of 3D acceleration was an age of wonders, the technology grew by leaps and bounds through API and hardware competition and lots of visionary developers who enjoyed the freedoms of an open platform.

How everything slowed down when MS won the API war and shoehorned PC releases into molds that would fit its gaming consoles is testament to what would have happened if they had outright bought it out during infancy.

And GFWL failed. So did Vista with DirectX 10. And now Windows 8 with it's Marketplace joined that list of failures. PC market has shown again and again that it won't allow Microsoft to enforce their inferior solutions just because they produce the dominating OS.

I beg to differ; GFWL failed only partially because it was bad for the market. Regardless, I really don't see how these examples are relevant to the subject.

Without big corporations those pioneer technologies can never become widely popular though.

This I believe is a misconception. If that were true, Google would have never become successful without having sold itself out to Yahoo! or Microsoft, for example. Or Facebook would only have become popular after Microsoft tried to copy it. The list goes on, but you catch my drift. The power of a big company can bring a good idea to the masses much faster (case in point, the iPhone), however, in most cases bringing in the money of a misaligned company to fund an innovation ends up in disaster (case in point, ebay buying Skype)

Actually no. it's amazing for VR. Because instead of being a device forever destined to remain niche it has a genuine chance of becoming a phenomenon. You're kidding yourself if you think the company could have pushed VR into standard on it's own.

I really don't understand this conviction that unless you are in the lap of a corporate giant your product will not sell. Did Notch make Minecraft by selling his soul to someone?

Facebook will make VR popular and after they if they start to fuck with it, other companies will take over. Just like it has happened many times before. But there won't be anything to take over off if some big corporation without endless stream of money won't turn it into a viable market.

Just because someone will take over we should be OK with them coming in and basically buying out a company whose existence up until today was funded by the money and dreams of thousands of enthusiasts? Anyone who has money to buy an idea can fuck us over and it's ok to fuck over people who have faith in YOUR way of doing things by selling your soul to the highest bidder, as long as someone else eventually comes in to do it 'right', is that the moral of the story here?

The only people benefiting here are the Oculus guys and Facebook. We are getting fucked over with the consolation that someone will eventually do it right anyway, yet we cheer them on.

I love the world we live in. Not.

mAcOdIn

I really think people should find a distinction between innovative software that hits mainstream and innovative hardware that becomes mainstream. Making software or a website with a small group that ends up hitting it big and going mainstream is one thing, making a piece of hardware that ends up selling gangbusters around the world is another. They're not really comparable. Already Oculus Rift had to stop once because they couldn't get parts to build them, do you think Sony couldn't get parts? On the other hand, no matter who you are I'm sure your keyboard will not run out of "t's" and you'd have to stop coding for awhile.

SparkTR

Just because someone will take over we should be OK with them coming in and basically buying out a company whose existence up until today was funded by the money and dreams of thousands of enthusiasts? Anyone who has money to buy an idea can fuck us over and it's ok to fuck over people who have faith in YOUR way of doing things by selling your soul to the highest bidder, as long as someone else eventually comes in to do it 'right', is that the moral of the story here?

No, it was funded and controlled by a variety of opportunistic investors whose patience likely ran out. It wasn't all peachy before Facebook arrived, they switched one panel of corporate 'visionaries' for another. Also bringing up your 3DFX comparison, who knows maybe Microsoft could have saved them from one of the most public downfalls in PC history.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Time article with comments from Luckey and Iribe post-buyout:

http://time.com/39577/facebook-oculus-vr-inside-story/

Though Luckey insists OR is not pivoting away from gaming, Iribe's comments are a bit of a shift from the initial pitch of a game-specific VR set IMO. To the point where he now says that gaming and 'intense gaming', at least, may not be the killer application for VR that they initially expected.

Not even the founders saw it coming, or not at first. Zuckerberg first met Iribe last November. “He came down,” Iribe recalls, “and we showed him some of the internal prototypes, and he got so excited about the vision of what we were doing and about the potential that this is truly the next computing platform. He actually said that to us. And it’s like, ‘Wow! We are looking at this whole thing being just that gaming platform. But tell us more, Mark.’ And he started to describe it, and we started to believe it too. And we started to relate it to a lot of the experiences we were having.”

It had been dawning on Luckey and Iribe and their colleagues for some time that they might not be as clear as they thought they were on what virtual reality is actually for. It began as a gaming technology, but it turned out first-person shooters weren’t the killer app they expected. “Pretty quickly we realized, ‘O.K., maybe running down hallways at 40 m.p.h. isn’t exactly the most comfortable thing to do in VR when you’re sitting in a chair,’” Iribe says. “As we started to build these made-for-VR experiences, we started to realize that intense gaming, where there are bullets flying at your head, can be actually a little too intense.”

So they started thinking more broadly about what exactly it was they were building. Iribe mentions virtual vacations and a 3-D VR encyclopedia as future possibilities. Mitchell describes a “magic school bus” that could take a bunch of kids on an instant field trip to Florence to look at Michelangelo’s David. But the really big opportunity, the mainstream, billion-user opportunity, was in virtual reality as a next-next-generation communications medium. “When you add other people to it,” Iribe says, “and you can actually see somebody in that place and you can make eye contact, and you can look at them and they can look around, you can now have this shared sense of presence in this new gaming experience, entertainment experience or just social experience that really starts to define what virtual reality is all about.”

As mentioned, though, Luckey insists that the FB purchase isn't a pivot away from gaming. We'll see!

I think we're also touching on semantic arguments though, of what gaming is or isn't, and maybe it doesn't matter. I mean I'd certainly love - say - an interactive trip to Ancient Rome, regardless of whether it really involved a 'game'.

No, it was funded and controlled by a variety of opportunistic investors whose patience likely ran out. It wasn't all peachy before Facebook arrived, they switched one panel of corporate 'visionaries' for another.

Only if you define being funded as buying stake in the company. Oculus has definitely used crowdfunding, and before you argue against that take a moment and consider all other sources of funding that do not involve stake; i.e. issuing bonds for example (same merit, you make a contractual payment today for the promise of a repayment in the future - in the case of crowdfunding you get goods in return for a downpayment.). The enthusiasts DID fund Oculus. Then the stakeholders fucked them over.

I really think people should find a distinction between innovative software that hits mainstream and innovative hardware that becomes mainstream. Making software or a website with a small group that ends up hitting it big and going mainstream is one thing, making a piece of hardware that ends up selling gangbusters around the world is another. They're not really comparable. Already Oculus Rift had to stop once because they couldn't get parts to build them, do you think Sony couldn't get parts? On the other hand, no matter who you are I'm sure your keyboard will not run out of "t's" and you'd have to stop coding for awhile.

Fair enough. Maybe you can explain to me how Steve Jobs created Apple out of a garage? How Nintendo grew into a console manufacturer? How Nokia and Ericsson pretty much pioneered and spearheaded the GSM revolution?

It does happen. It could have happened with Oculus, they just copped out.

SparkTR

Only if you define being funded as buying stake in the company. Oculus has definitely used crowdfunding, and before you argue against that take a moment and consider all other sources of funding that do not involve stake; i.e. issuing bonds for example (same merit, you make a contractual payment today for the promise of a repayment in the future - in the case of crowdfunding you get goods in return for a downpayment.). The enthusiasts DID fund Oculus. Then the stakeholders fucked them over.

2.5 million crowd-funding wouldn't have gotten them far, I'd imagine. I don't know the exact details of Oculus' bank books, so I have no idea why they didn't pursue those other forms of funding, but June 2013 is when Palmer and his crew lost control of Oculus. They'd have to turn the clock a whole long way back for this to have ended up differently.

mAcOdIn

Fair enough. Maybe you can explain to me how Steve Jobs created Apple out of a garage? How Nintendo grew into a console manufacturer? How Nokia and Ericsson pretty much pioneered and spearheaded the GSM revolution?

It does happen. It could have happened with Oculus, they just copped out.
Well, Nintendo was a hundred year old company, them taking their money and shifting it sideways is a good success story for sure but hardly an example relevant here. Nokia's also old as hell. As for Apple, well I don't seem to recall the tons of SK pc clones back then, I image the trade situation has changed somewhat between the 80s and now. Blame Thatcher and Reagan if you must.

Regarding Oculus though, could they have succeeded on their own and survived the onslaught of competitors? Sure, so long as you have the right people in charge anything's possible, no matter how far fetched. Would they have? Dunno.

I just don't get why everyone's claiming defeat before anything's really started. If the goal really was to bring the world VR why are we assuming that fight is lost? Lets let them actually get on the field before calling the game. If you really liked the OR guys and just wanted to make them rich, well, mission accomplished! Chin up. The only thing that's really lost is you no longer get to rally behind OR as some geeky independent company, that's done for sure.

The HMZ is part of why I think they didn't take much from Oculus. Most of their design choices seem like logical evolutions of their already existing concepts. LED tracking, camera tracking, motion control.

As far as I understand it, the HMZ's display and optical system is completely different from the one used in Morpheus, which is basically the exact same basic system as the Oculus setup (single screen, small wide-FOV lenses, using the GPU to distort the image). It's quite plausible that the Oculus method is the most cost-efficient and straightforward way to do it (just like how tracking LEDs is probably the best way to do motion tracking), but the gist is that the HMZs (and early Sony VR prototypes by the looks of it) weren't like the Oculus, but Morpheus is.

It's possible that both companies arrived at the same conclusion separately, or that the HMZ and Morpheus projects are completely separate for some reason (explains that weird HMZ with bad headtracking at CES), but it's pretty likely that Sony drew inspiration from Oculus's design.

Top Bottom