• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factor 5 now completely dead

MechaX

Well fuck. Even though Rebel Strike fucking sucked, I would have paid for a Rogue Squadron Trilogy without second thoughts. Rogue Squadron and Rogue Leader were probably the best Star Wars games I have ever played this side of TIE Fighter.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I remember the Lair is bad because the PS3 is too new arguement.

It doesn't really hold water when you're best known for making the single best looking launch game for any system ever.

Christine

Cow Mengde said:
Yup, it's part of the Star Wars lord. I think it was mentioned in the Shadows of the Empire novel.

I can go back at least another decade - West End Games' Star Wars Roleplaying game stats fire-linked X-Wing cannons at 6D6 damage and the TIE/ln's hull strength at 2D6.

Assuming a medium range shot, take 1D6 off of the X-Wing cannons. The two rolls are compared, and if the damage roll is => 3 * the hull roll, the target is destroyed.

That translates to a 36% chance that a TIE will be immediately obliterated in a ball of flame after a single direct hit.

Laughlin

From Mark MacDonald's Twitter:

@markmacd
Mark MacDonald FWIW, from a guy who would know RT @mworch @markmacd That post (re: Factor 5) is very inaccurate and mixes up a whole bunch of half-truths.

Takao

Banned
Animator said:
I worked at F5 loong ago and that beaver one is from a game called "animal wars" that was a ww2 themed game that played like warhawk but war between animals. It was fucking amazing looking and was way better than Lair so it made all of us sad it got cancelled.

For some reason the first thing that pops into my mind is Conker's Bad Fur Day...

Amagon

Takao said:
For some reason the first thing that pops into my mind is Conker's Bad Fur Day...
Gotta go find and play this game. But that "animal wars" game sounds cool and I wouldn't mind playing it. :(

Shiggy

Laughlin said:

@markmacd
Mark MacDonald FWIW, from a guy who would know RT @mworch @markmacd That post (re: Factor 5) is very inaccurate and mixes up a whole bunch of half-truths.

:D
He should tell what's wrong about it then :D
A half-truth still contains some truth at least.

Laughlin said:

@markmacd

Can someone translate that into English? I got the half truths part, it's most of the stuff in the beginning that lost me.

Shiggy

Cow Mengde said:
Can someone translate that into English? I got the half truths part, it's most of the stuff in the beginning that lost me.

He's just saying what I said is inaccurate. Though the project transfer from Factor 5 to WhiteHarvest was revealed in some lawsuit and the cancellation of that EA Wii port was also acknowledged by Factor 5. In addition, it's also true that Factor 5 GmbH does no longer exist. So it must be some of the bits between these things.

Speevy

Banned
F5 chose the wrong platform, wrong genre, wrong games.

I wish the people who worked there all the best though.

[Nintex]

Shiggy said:
:D
He should tell what's wrong about it then :D
A half-truth still contains some truth at least.
Yep, that sounds like Rare's "It's all not true and totally awesome here" and then Grant Kirkhope and Chris Seavor started talking.. ooh boy.

[Nintex] said:
Yep, that sounds like Rare's "It's all not true and totally awesome here" and then Grant Kirkhope and Chris Seavor started talking.. ooh boy.

What would they have to gain from hiding the truth? The company is gone, what's the harm in people talking about what happened?

It makes sense with Rare, but not with Factor 5.

Shiggy said:
He's just saying what I said is inaccurate. Though the project transfer from Factor 5 to WhiteHarvest was revealed in some lawsuit and the cancellation of that EA Wii port was also acknowledged by Factor 5. In addition, it's also true that Factor 5 GmbH does no longer exist. So it must be some of the bits between these things.

Oh well, whatever. Just as long as people start leaking projects. That's all we can salvage from F5 now.

Shiggy

[Nintex] said:

I don't think so, at Factor 5 no-one is willing to talk. Nobody is interested in talking with them either.

Nuclear Muffin said:
What would they have to gain from hiding the truth? The company is gone, what's the harm in people talking about what happened?

It makes sense with Rare, but not with Factor 5.

lawsuit maybe.

Shiggy said:
Nobody is interested in talking with them either.

Wow... that's just sad to hear. I mean, their gameplay wasn't perfect, but nobody can deny they knew how to push the Gamecube and N64.

Shiggy

Cow Mengde said:
Wow... that's just sad to hear. I mean, their gameplay wasn't perfect, but nobody can deny they knew how to push the Gamecube and N64.

Well yeah, did anyone care about the closure of WhiteHarvest? The subsequent opening of TechDevils? Nobody even cared about the liquidation of Factor 5 GmbH earlier this year.

pa22word

Fuuuuuck this is sad to hear. Rouge Squadron was so awesome to play back in the day, shame they've gone and died before we could get another =\

Heart goes out to all effected by this closure; I hope everyone landed on their feet.

yurinka

Really sad news. They were one of the most talented developers in the 16 bits era.

Turrican games and Rogue Squadron were really awesome, not to mention other games like R-Type or BC Kid for Amiga, Indiana Jones for SNES, ISS Deluxe for Mega Drive, their GB games, etc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factor_5

Teknoman

So is there pretty much no chance of seeing another Turrican game now? Unless Wayforward gets their hands on the license, and some sort of Virt + Chris collaboration for the soundtrack happens...

yurinka

Teknoman said:
So is there pretty much no chance of seeing another Turrican game now? Unless Wayforward gets their hands on the license, and some sort of Virt + Chris collaboration for the soundtrack happens...
I always wanted a new Turrican. I think it would work perfectly a 2.5D remake of the original trilogy, they are still really fun and playable today. And its music still sounds awesome, these tracks remixed today would be awesome :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvha_2hAzq0

[Nintex]

Uncle Rupee said:
The ghosts were really after Factor 5, it would seem.
"I am not a believer in ghosts, but this one was haunted," stated Eggebrecht, somehow thinking this is a better excuse than saying Lair was 'too casual' for reviewers. "They showed the material at the last minute to Kutaragi-san, who didn't see a thing and bounced us off the reel. That's why the first tech-trailer was shown at the PlayStation meeting a few months later. That was the start of one catastrophe after the other -- deaths in the family at the worst time, sudden surgeries for key members, which bounced the technology off-track. And just in general, every single time there was a crucial delivery, something bizarre went wrong -- all the way to power outages when writing the master disks."

2lfdj.png

I think Nintendo should hire the team that was behind Rogue leaders on Gamecube and put it to work to some Starfox game on WiiU.

Anyway it's a crying shame seeing this software house vanish into thin air, and it's another warning sign for the videogames' industry.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Really quite sad, I enjoyed their Star Wars games.

As much as I was looking forward to Lair before it came out (love me some dragons, pity it wasn't great), they should have never made it. A new Rogue Squadron instead however, Battle of Endor in HD on some, what was at the time, modern console hardware would have looked amazing.

Ridley327 said:
Left Field Productions hasn't exactly been thrilling audiences since they left Nintendo's care.

Holy crap, I thought they were gone. Left Field were pretty much Nintendo's sports division at one stage. I've got some fond memories of Excitebike 64 as well...

No idea they were still releasing games.

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Holy crap, I thought they were gone. Left Field were pretty much Nintendo's sports division at one stage. I've got some fond memories of Excitebike 64 as well...

No idea they were still releasing games.

Yeah, what are the folks at Left Field doing these days?

jett

D-Member
Sucks for Factor 5, they were adept at technology. Unfortunately for them and us the last good game they made was over a decade ago.

Ridley327

Nuclear Muffin said:
Last game I know of that they released was Nitro Bike on Wii. It wasn't very good...
They made Mayhem this year, which seemed like an unremarkable vehicle combat game outside of being black & white and featuring a 3D mode.

thebeeks

Banned
Animator said:
I worked at F5 loong ago and that beaver one is from a game called "animal wars" that was a ww2 themed game that played like warhawk but war between animals. It was fucking amazing looking and was way better than Lair so it made all of us sad it got cancelled.

Fuck, I would play the hell out of this game.

Factor 5 was the company that did Lair, right?

That was selling us the "only the PS3 is powwaful enough to run our gamez", right?

Good luck to their former staff, but their studio and attitude will not be missed.

Top Bottom