• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factor 5 now completely dead

Enk said:
They were working on a new Turrican game and now they're dead???? NOOOOoooooooooooooooo! Where will the Turrican license go to now?
someone buy and give it to manfred trenz ffs. and also pay for a new proper turrican game. you're up for this, Enk? do it. you have my permission.

Ridley327 said:
Left Field Productions hasn't exactly been thrilling audiences since they left Nintendo's care.
did they ever thrill audiences? be honest

Shiggy

Joseph Merrick said:
someone buy and give it to manfred trenz ffs. and also pay for a new proper turrican game. you're up for this, Enk? do it. you have my permission.

You know what's funny? Manfred Trenz registered "Turrican" in January 2011, but in August "FACTOR 5 - Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR" raised an objection. It's somewhat confusing as "FACTOR 5 - Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR" also has an approved registration of the Turrican trademark. But then a third party appears, there's also an objection proceeding against Factor 5 by Fabio Serena who's got the Turikan trademark.

But well, this means that there still is a Factor 5. "FACTOR 5 - Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR" was registered in May 2011. So they got all Factor 5 GmbH trademarks now.

Hadn't they been working on a new Turrican for years? That was basically what Thornado was before it was canceled way back in the early GC days.

Shiggy said:
You know what's funny? Manfred Trenz registered "Turrican" in January 2011, but in August "FACTOR 5 - Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR" raised an objection. It's somewhat confusing as "FACTOR 5 - Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR" also has an approved registration of the Turrican trademark. But then a third party appears, there's also an objection proceeding against Factor 5 by Fabio Serena who's got the Turikan trademark.

But well, this means that there still is a Factor 5. "FACTOR 5 - Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR" was registered in May 2011. So they got all Factor 5 GmbH trademarks now.
bah. what garbage

Holy shit, Left Field is dead too!?

And Left Field made a pretty damn good Excitebike for the N64 along with a Kobe Bryant games for the N64. They were good (like around 8.0) games from what I've heard.

Factor 5's collapse was just so sad, they were one of the best action game developers for several generations (Super/Mega Turrican, Rogue Squadron series, Battle for Naboo...), it was awful to see them go down like that. Sure, it was sort of their own fault -- they made a mistake in leaving Nintendo, like they did -- but it's really sad that it brought them down. I know it's been mentioned in the thread, but yeah, what in the world happened with the Rogue Squadron Trilogy thing... mostly finished, easy sell for probably lots of sales... why didn't that happen? :( (To say nothing of Pilotwings, etc.)

I would say that in the N64 and GC generations Factor 5's graphics and audio were consistently better than their gameplay -- the games are great, sure, but they're fairly simple arcade-style games -- but the gameplay was more than good enough to make the games lots of fun. Oh, and yes, I did enjoy Rebel Strike. My main complaint is that it's too bad that the versus modes were two player only, not four (like, say, Crimson Skies for Xbox). As for the on-foot parts, sure they were bland and simplistic, but most of the game was good, so one weaker part certainly didn't ruin the whole game. The vehicular parts (ground or air) were as good as ever.

Joseph Merrick said:
did they ever thrill audiences? be honest
Excitebike 64 is one of the greatest racing games of its generation, yes. That is by far Left Field's best game though.

disap.ed

Shiggy said:
Since then the German branch, Factor 5 GmbH led by Achim Moller, appeared to be still operating. However, in January 2011, Moller decided to liquidate Factor 5 GmbH - all game licenses were transferred to "Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR". Moller seems to have formed a new company in late June 2009 when WhiteHarvest went down. This company is pretty similar to Factor 5 GmbH and is called "Factor V Media Production GmbH"; same adress, same services.
Eggebrecht, Engel and Schmidt are now working on casual titles at TouchFactor.

This company is called FactorY

http://www.factory-gmbh.com/

I hope they are already working on WiiU titles to free them from the Nintendo curse.

Jonnyram

Enk said:
Where will the Turrican license go to now?
The Turrican license was always a tricky issue, since the trademark was owned by different companies in Germany (Softgold) and US (Factor 5). With Factor 5 closing down in the US, I'd assume that Funsoft GmbH (who bought out Softgold) now owns the trademark outright.

disap.ed

Shiggy said:
Yeah, that company exists too. Factor Y Media Production GmbH was formed later though.

Huh? Crazy shit. What are they planning to achieve with all these companies?

So we have former Factor5, FactorV and FactorY on the address in Cologne and the Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR in Harsum.

http://trademark.markify.com/trademark-owner/ctm/factor+5+-+eggebrecht,+engel,+schmidt+gbr/453046

Also TouchFactor Inc. in Novato (CA)

http://jobs.gamasutra.com/JobSeekerX/ViewCompanyProfile.asp?CompanyProfileID=4723

Turrican3

Shiggy said:
Since then the German branch, Factor 5 GmbH led by Achim Moller, appeared to be still operating. However, in January 2011, Moller decided to liquidate Factor 5 GmbH - all game licenses were transferred to "Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR". Moller seems to have formed a new company in late June 2009 when WhiteHarvest went down. This company is pretty similar to Factor 5 GmbH and is called "Factor V Media Production GmbH"; same adress, same services.
Eggebrecht, Engel and Schmidt are now working on casual titles at TouchFactor.
This is where I'm not getting it anymore. :-/

Which Factor5 is (now) actually dead? Is it FactorY? Is it this - never heard before - Factor V? Or what else?!

I mean, I tought Factor5 GmbH actually was/became FactorY ( many people probably remember the infamous job posting --> http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25467182#post25467182 ), but now I'm really confused.

wsippel

Banned
Jonnyram said:
The Turrican license was always a tricky issue, since the trademark was owned by different companies in Germany (Softgold) and US (Factor 5). With Factor 5 closing down in the US, I'd assume that Funsoft GmbH (who bought out Softgold) now owns the trademark outright.
Funsoft/ Softgold/ Rushware was bought by THQ in 1999, they own the IP now.

wsippel said:
Funsoft/ Softgold/ Rushware was bought by THQ in 1999, they own the IP now.

Heh, funny, cause they won't be lasting long either. After Saints Row 3 bombs, they'll probably be on the verge of bankruptcy.

Either someone will buy them outright for cheap, or they'll sell off their IPs (which is what they're real value comes from), so Turrican will be up for grabs by anyone soon enough!

WrathOfOtaibah said:
That's what happens when you spend your entire tenure making shit games, good riddance.

Prey, tell, what "shit games" did they make? Because they've made some of the most lauded games of all time (Rogue Squadron series, Turrican series etc) Just because they made one bad game (Lair), doesn't wipe out all the good that they did.

wsippel

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Heh, funny, cause they won't be lasting long either. After Saints Row 3 bombs, they'll probably be on the verge of bankruptcy.

Either someone will buy them outright for cheap, or they'll sell off their IPs (which is what they're real value comes from), so Turrican will be up for grabs by anyone soon enough!
I stand corrected: Manfred Trenz, the original creator of Turrican, supposedly owns the IP now. He got the rights back in February after THQ's (and Factor 5's?) license expired. Trenz' studio, Denaris, and his affiliates (VIS, IAS) usually develop for PC and Nintendo platforms.

AniHawk

Cow Mengde said:
Holy shit, Left Field is dead too!?

And Left Field made a pretty damn good Excitebike for the N64 along with a Kobe Bryant games for the N64. They were good (like around 8.0) games from what I've heard.
nah, they're still around. mayhem for the ps360 is their latest game. it came out in march.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Prey, tell, what "shit games" did they make? Because they've made some of the most lauded games of all time (Rogue Squadron series, Turrican series etc) Just because they made one bad game (Lair), doesn't wipe out all the good that they did.

I didn't like any of the Rogue Squadron games, pretty but shallow with average gameplay. Never played any of the Turrican games, at least not to my knowledge.

disap.ed

Turrican3 said:
This is where I'm not getting it anymore. :-/

Which Factor5 is (now) actually dead? Is it FactorY? Is it this - never heard before - Factor V? Or what else?!

Factor 5 Inc. (US) and Factor 5 GmbH (Germany) are dead.

Factor V and FactorY (both Cologne/Germany as dead Factor 5 GmbH) apparently live.

wsippel said:
I stand corrected: Manfred Trenz, the original creator of Turrican, supposedly owns the IP now. He got the rights back in February after THQ's (and Factor 5's?) license expired. Trenz' studio, Denaris, and his affiliates (VIS, IAS) usually develop for PC and Nintendo platforms.

Ahh good. I was wondering why the Turrican games were still on the Wii Virtual Console, despite the rights changing hands (look what happened with Double Dragon on XBLA and R-Type SMS on the VC!)

Celine

wsippel said:
Is this right ? Factor5.de still has the "new" signature
Turrican, Katakis, and Denaris are trademarks of Factor 5 - Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR ("Factor 5")"

I would die for a new Turrican game developed by Shin'en.

Don't see why it's a mistake for them to leave Nintendo, the big mistake was that they agreed to make a game to showcase the crappy sixaxis controls of the PS3 controller and they didn't have the common sense to tell Sony that the sixaxis is crap. When you release a new IP that's obviously crap you can't expect miraculous sales results, and for such a big project they should have been well aware to the price of failure.

wsippel

Banned
Celine said:
Is this right ? Factor5.de still has the "new" signature

I would die for a new Turrican game developed by Shin'en.
Trenz' studio is named Denaris and he's currently working on Katakis 2 together with VIS and Markus Siebold (original composer of the Turrican II soundtrack), so Factor 5 obviously can't own those trademarks. Also:

DENARIS und KATAKIS sind registrierte Markenzeichen von Manfred Trenz - Denaris Entertainment Software.
"DENARIS and KATAKIS are registered trademarks of Manfred Trenz - Denaris Entertainment Software"

And I don't believe it was ever posted, but Trenz released a first Katakis 2 trailer a few months ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYsTNsRACAA

EDIT: Shin'en has nothing to do with Denaris or Factor 5.

Samus4145

Ridley327 said:
Sony must've been really desperate for them to make anything but another Lair.
They should have just created a next gen rogue squadron game with full online support. How those guys land on their feet.

Nugundam0079

Neo Member
Project Aces started work on new Rouge Squadrons? I mean with their over-the-top story telling and the over-the-topness of Star Wars in general Imagine how crazy that sorta game would be!

Celine

wsippel said:
"DENARIS and KATAKIS are registered trademarks of Manfred Trenz - Denaris Entertainment Software"

And I don't believe it was ever posted, but Trenz released a first Katakis 2 trailer a few months ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYsTNsRACAA

EDIT: Shin'en has nothing to do with Denaris or Factor 5.
Didn't know someone was remaking (?) Katakis...

Shin'en doing a new Turrican is just my wish.

disap.ed

I am curious what FactorV did the last 2 years? There is a financial report available dated February 2011 for 16€, considering buying it...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Wouldnt have mind see those three wii games.

Me neither. Or the Supes game for that matter.

The Main Event said:
Once you leave Nintendo...

That reminds me, what are those ex-Retro guys up to? Been a while since we heard anything since they joined up with EA.

disap.ed

Samus4145 said:
They should have just created a next gen rogue squadron game with full online support. How those guys land on their feet.

It will be really interesting to see if there will be something like this during the WiiU Re-Unveiling next year @E3.

Gamecube unveiling ... never forget

must_not_fap_35.jpg

They MUST have something after 3 years of work!

Shiggy

disap.ed said:
I am curious what FactorV did the last 2 years? There is a financial report available dated February 2011 for 16€, considering buying it...

Don't do that. That stuff is available for free in Germany, I think. Use the official platform: www.ebundesanzeiger.de - you'll get free access to balance sheets of both Factor 5 GmbH and Factor V Media Production GmbH. It's quite simple to use.
In addition, for more specific information there's www.unternehmensregister.de . As the official platform it should be still cheaper than some other distributors (between 1 and 5 € or so).

So just to get things into the right order.

Companies registered in the Unternehmensregister (free information at www.unternehmensregister.de):

FACTOR 5 GmbH, Köln
Formed in 2003
Liquidated in January 2011
Achim Moller

Factor V Media Production GmbH, Köln

Founded: 22.05.2009
Achim Moller

FactorY Media Production GmbH, Köln
Founded: 23.06.2010
Achim Moller/Rene Henke

We also have FACTOR 5 - Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR, who are not registered in the Unternehmensregister though.

Trademarks:

"Factor 5"
Owned by: Factor 5 , LLC 101 Lucas Valley Road, Suite 300 San Rafael California
Expired: 12.07.2009

(There were other Factor 5 trademarks by Rene Henke which expired in 2005)

Whose Turrican trademark was approved?

DE - Softgold -> their trademark was deleted
DE - Manfred Trenz
EM - FACTOR 5 - Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt GbR
EM - Manfred Trenz

Whose Denaris trademark was approved?
DE -Manfred Trenz
EM - Factor 5 , LLC 101 Lucas Valley Road -> approval failed after Trenz raised objection
EM - Manfred Trenz

DE - German trademark; EM - European trademark
All of these trademarks are under dispute due to ongoing troubles between Eggebrecht, Engel, Schmidt on the one side and Manfred Trenz on the other side.

wsippel

Banned
Ninja Dom said:
Any out of work Factor 5 German employees should apply at German neighbours NG Dev Team and see if there are vacancies there.

http://www.ngdevteam.com/
There are never vacancies at NG Dev Team. That studio consists of two brothers developing ultra niche games for long dead platforms. They couldn't afford to hire additional developers even if they wanted to, and I'm not sure any professional developer would be interested in developing Neo Geo and Dreamcast games in 2011.

disap.ed

Shiggy said:
Don't do that. That stuff is available for free in Germany, I think. Use the official platform: www.ebundesanzeiger.de - you'll get free access to balance sheets of both Factor 5 GmbH and Factor V Media Production GmbH. It's quite simple to use.
In addition, for more specific information there's www.unternehmensregister.de . As the official platform it should be still cheaper than some other distributors (between 1 and 5 € or so).

Thx, would have really been lost money, not much to gain here unfortunately.

.GqueB.

Banned
Shit Ive been holding off on buying layer for months now. Maybe my purchase couldve saved them...

ITS ALL MY FAULT!@!!

Philthy

This is horrible. Turrican 2 is still easily one of my, if not the, best games of all time.

I kept hoping for a PSN release of it or something. The SNES versions just did not do the game any justice...

v1oz

So who was the actual brains behind Factor 5's amazing tech? He was doing stuff on Gamecube that we don't even see too often even on current gen consoles. To this day I don't even think there's anything on Wii that can match the Rogue Squadron series technically.

Ninja Dom

wsippel said:
There are never vacancies at NG Dev Team. That studio consists of two brothers developing ultra niche games for long dead platforms. They couldn't afford to hire additional developers even if they wanted to, and I'm not sure any professional developer would be interested in developing Neo Geo and Dreamcast games in 2011.

NG:Dev have released one of their games on iOS, Fast Striker. Early Factor 5 games and NG:Dev games share a certain look.

Christine

A Black Falcon said:
The vehicular parts (ground or air) were as good as ever.

In particular, I think Rebel Strike is really strong on the ground vehicles in comparison to the other games in the series.

Cow Mengde said:
Beaver Pioneer?

We're all beaver pioneers at one point or another.

Frankly I'm not all that sad that Factor 5 is gone, they made good-looking games in the last decade that simply weren't all that fun to play.

disap.ed

I think Kid Icarus would be the ultimate wrong game for Factor5. Sure it would look fantastic, but on feet gameplay really wasn't F5's strong side.

Datschge

v1oz said:
So who was the actual brains behind Factor 5's amazing tech? He was doing stuff on Gamecube that we don't even see too often even on current gen consoles. To this day I don't even think there's anything on Wii that can match the Rogue Squadron series technically.
Going by the staff list for Rogue Leader it's mostly Factor 5 staff coming from Germany which wasn't credited anywhere outside F5 ever. They really should have made their engine available for licensing... Going by that GbR thingy mentioned before, Schmidt and Engel still seem to be together with Eggebrecht.

CO_Andy said:
Rather sad affair that there's some sort of underground dispute between Factor 5 and Manfred Trenz.
It's like a (sad) running gag going on for over two decades. Only in the past Factor 5 seemed to be the more professional side, but now?

Top Bottom