• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factorio | STEAMPOWERED Industrial Optimization

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
No clue if it supports more than 2 players actually, if somebody knows, please let us know.

It does, but it's P2P. 8+ players can mean disconnects and weird things, i think. Server ack is coming somewhen along the line.

ultron87

Started my first freeform game after the tutorials. Three hours just evaporated. Went from nothing to starting to work on plastics. It feels like I've done so much, but then I look at the tech tree and a whole universe of possibilities is still there. This game could be everything.

Two questions, now that I'm deep into my first real run.

How do I craft things that take water as an ingredient, like Concrete?

And maybe I got super lucky with my placement, but am I supposed to be attacked by the local lifeforms at some point? I kinda got bored after setting up my facilities and a couple of massive defense perimeters, only to have nothing ever show up. Finally started roving around using turrets as offensive weapons to lock down and destroy all the nearby biter/spitter hives. Am I just eventually going to get steamrolled when the local wildlife "techs up" or something?

My automation is a convoluted mess of conveyer belts and robot arms, but damn if it isn't satisfying watching it all actually work.

SleepMachine

Neo Member
Two questions, now that I'm deep into my first real run.

How do I craft things that take water as an ingredient, like Concrete?

Bring a water pipe into an assembly machine, i think.

And maybe I got super lucky with my placement, but am I supposed to be attacked by the local lifeforms at some point?
You'll get attacked when lifeforms come into contact with your polluted area. (Red tinted area on the map)

Bring a water pipe into an assembly machine, i think.
Tried that, water pipes didn't seem like they would connect up to the assembly machine. And the only thing that did seem to have a hookup was the chemical plant, which didn't seem to have concrete as a build option.

You'll get attacked when lifeforms come into contact with your polluted area. (Red tinted area on the map)

Huh, maybe I need to pollute more. Or maybe I need to change the settings from the default medium ones on my next playthrough.

Thraktor

Tried that, water pipes didn't seem like they would connect up to the assembly machine. And the only thing that did seem to have a hookup was the chemical plant, which didn't seem to have concrete as a build option.

Do you have to research concrete? It's been a while but I'm pretty sure anything which requires liquids to build should be built in a chemical plant, and you just pipe it into the input valves on the left of it.

Edit: Scratch that. When I played it last year concrete hadn't been added, but I just loaded up my old save and tested it out, and once you set an assembly machine to build concrete it gets an input valve. Hover your mouse over it and you'll see a blue arrow going into it, this is where you have to pipe your water in (or you can rotate it around until the arrow comes in from the most suitable direction.)

Aureon

Huh, maybe I need to pollute more. Or maybe I need to change the settings from the default medium ones on my next playthrough.

Assembly machine will sprout a in-pipe after you select a recipe with a liquid ingredient. Then you can rotate it with R.

FunnyJay

Neo Member
Can creatures "spawn" randomly in you base?

I have almost walled in my entire base but creatures show up periodically in the middle of the base. Ev3n if they come from the outside, why are they bypassing a lot of structures to make it into the base and be killed by a turret?

Edit: Scratch that. When I played it last year concrete hadn't been added, but I just loaded up my old save and tested it out, and once you set an assembly machine to build concrete it gets an input valve. Hover your mouse over it and you'll see a blue arrow going into it, this is where you have to pipe your water in (or you can rotate it around until the arrow comes in from the most suitable direction.)

Assembly machine will sprout a in-pipe after you select a recipe with a liquid ingredient. Then you can rotate it with R.

Thanks for the help. That's pretty unintuitive, hope they fix that in future revisions.

And Factorio is up to 75k on Steam, though it's dropped a few spots to the flavors of the week. It's pretty great, hope the hype train keeps rolling.

Aureon

Thanks for the help. That's pretty unintuitive, hope they fix that in future revisions.

And Factorio is up to 75k on Steam, though it's dropped a few spots to the flavors of the week. It's pretty great, hope the hype train keeps rolling.

Pre-steam sales were already pretty good afaik, 250k or so?

Wow, really? SuperHOT, Factorio, Stardew, all selling almost or more than 100k copies in a few days is really impressive

That number probably includes a bunch of early adopters as well though, since if you purchased it from their site before the Steam launch, you still got a Steam key. It's really good though, and I'm glad it's doing so well regardless - that user rating is bananas!

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Deserves it, am having a blast. Wish I had more time though

Aureon

Wow, really? SuperHOT, Factorio, Stardew, all selling almost or more than 100k copies in a few days is really impressive

Consider that all previous purchasers of Factorio got a steam key, and since steamspy tracks owners, not sales, a good chunk are probably those.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Consider that all previous purchasers of Factorio got a steam key, and since steamspy tracks owners, not sales, a good chunk are probably those.

Makes sense..they cited 100k sales from their website prior to launching on steam. And steamspy has the game sitting at 75k...wonder how many of those are new buyers?

Count me as a new buyer. I bought it on a whim after seeing it on the top sellers list and watching the preview trailer.

This game is amazing. It's kept me up an hour past my bedtime two nights in a row and I am exhausted.

Purkake4

Banned
Makes sense..they cited 100k sales from their website prior to launching on steam. And steamspy has the game sitting at 75k...wonder how many of those are new buyers?
100k is way more than I'd have thought they'd sold with basically zero visibility, even the GAF thread was dead.

It's still in the Steam top 10 sellers list so I'm pretty sure they're making nice bank on it at the moment.

ultron87

After playing this hearing about manual mining being a big part of No Man's Sky makes me bummed. I don't want to mine something myself like a pleb.

Its a major time black hole. Don't get into this if you have important shit to do.

I've found it critical to learn how to split stuff onto both sides of a belt. Since two types of inserters can only reach two belts, it really helps with layout to have parallel streams of resources, because then two inserters (long and short) can access 4 ingredients over two belts.

I wasted time with the naive approach of mixing ingredients on a single belt, but the problem with that is if stuff backs up, production stops because an inserter can't reach an item.

The other challenge is balancing production. When you are learning stuff you never anticipate just how much production of something is needed and then half or more of your infrastructure lays idle or is even totally starved.

I play on OSX both laptop and desktop and it isn't very cpu or graphics intensive.

FunnyJay

Neo Member
Yesterday I learned that you can put a smelter right at the output of a mine (just like you can do with a container). Lead some coal up to the smelter and you eliminate one entire step/part of your factory!

MikeDip

Yesterday I learned that you can put a smelter right at the output of a mine (just like you can do with a container). Lead some coal up to the smelter and you eliminate one entire step/part of your factory!
Whoa.

subwilde

Oh man I really want to get this game but as someone who works all day in a manufacturing environment I am hesitant...work all day designing/building production lines and come home to "enjoy" some free time designing/building production lines lol

Oh man I really want to get this game but as someone who works all day in a manufacturing environment I am hesitant...work all day designing/building production lines and come home to "enjoy" some free time designing/building production lines lol
Yeah, but then you can build production lines that build production lines for you

1upmuffin

This game looks so difficult, but I really like the style and it looks really interesting to play. Maybe I'll give it a shot someday, or just appreciate it from a distance, haha.

EDIT: Nope, watched more videos, just gonna observe from a distance.

Aureon

Under the hood, it's a pretty gamey game - unless you get into the fully insane mods, like NARM or Bob's, which lead to things like 28-step crafting chains.

If you're used to the concept, you'll automate your annoyances away pretty fast.

MikeDip

This game looks so difficult, but I really like the style and it looks really interesting to play. Maybe I'll give it a shot someday, or just appreciate it from a distance, haha.

EDIT: Nope, watched more videos, just gonna observe from a distance.

Why mate? What is scaring you?

Devs posted a blog:

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-128

Since people were talking about sales and early adopters and whatnot, one of the more interesting points is that the game has sold more on Steam in the past week than it did for all of 2015 on their website.

Awesome news. It's interesting to see the Steamspy numbers for Factorio versus Devil Daggers (two of the games I've been playing a good bit of), as I would've expected numbers to be reversed given Devil Daggers' seemingly greater recent exposure and far lower price point. Obviously, though, there's a large market for something that seems as daunting yet complex and interesting as Factorio, even compared to something simple and straightforward as Devil Daggers. Not that they're necessarily directly comparable of course, just generally speaking.

Aureon

Oh, wow.
#1 rated game on steam? Can't believe the internet shares my thoughts for once!

Dezeer

Devs posted a blog:

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-128

Since people were talking about sales and early adopters and whatnot, one of the more interesting points is that the game has sold more on Steam in the past week than it did for all of 2015 on their website.

Based on archive.org saved pages they had sold 63000 copies to date 2nd of Jan 2015 and 104000 on 3rd of Dec, so at least 40000 people have bought it on Steam. A well deserved number for this addictive game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Will buy! Thanks for the thread Toma :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I literally just spent 8 hours on I think mission 3? The one where you come across a broken base. I was doing ok until the part where
you have to craft a ton of stuff to put in your car
. That took a long while. Because I wasn't anticipating that, I'd done lots of little production lines for different things to shore up the base, and then that all needed redoing.

was fun in a very long-winded, roundabout way.

btw, is there a way to get a train to go back and forth along a single track? I got it to go one way to a station, but on the return leg the engine kept saying 'no path' in red text. I wondered if it didn't want to push, so I put an engine on the other end too but that didn't help.

Arkanius

This game looks like crack for me
Unsure if I should buy it or not.

Is it lightweight in system resources ? I have been working afterhours at work with a developer machine using only an integrated Intel card, seems like a nice game for the "Compiling" times.

saunderez

After being completely overwhelmed on my first attempt, I proceeded to watch 3-4 hours of Youtube videos to give myself an idea of build order etc. Did not help one bit when I actually started. I couldn't remember the intricacies of the designs used and ended up having to tear down most of my factory because it wasn't going to work.

Learned a lot though, got to the stage where am producing a range of components. I'm not sure if I want to keep going on this map, I think I wasted far too much time and would be better restarting and try not to repeat the same mistakes.

Another good thing to do early on is feed your coal mines into each other (obviously in multiples of 2). That way they keep each other fueled and you just have to go collect the excess they producem

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
No way, this game would be a huge pain on touchscreen due to the micromanagement and precise instructions.

what if i used it on my surface with a pen. then would it work? *he said knowing full well it wouldn't*

also. i wasn't sure about this game so i decided to see if there are any YT vids about it, and although i am not a "huge fan" for nerd³ he did sell me on this game. it looks super complicated but simple at the same time....i don't even know how.

saunderez

Are people playing sandbox or campaign or a mix of both?

I did the tutorial the went straight to sandbox. Then immediately went to YouTube and watched hours of tutorials lol

what if i used it on my surface with a pen. then would it work? *he said knowing full well it wouldn't*

It'll work but it will be slow and frustrating due to the lack of shortcuts. The game has a tonne of KB+M shortcuts you won't be able to use and methods like running and building at the same time to space out power poles perfectly will probably be impossible too.

Grief.exe

Do you have to research concrete? It's been a while but I'm pretty sure anything which requires liquids to build should be built in a chemical plant, and you just pipe it into the input valves on the left of it.

I was wondering about that, thanks.

The only problem with that is the mining might outpace the speed of your smelter. I don't know if that is the case.

This game looks like crack for me
Unsure if I should buy it or not.

Is it lightweight in system resources ? I have been working afterhours at work with a developer machine using only an integrated Intel card, seems like a nice game for the "Compiling" times.

I was playing it on my Linux Laptop with Integrated Skylake GPU.

Are people playing sandbox or campaign or a mix of both?

I didn't even touch the campaign, just jumped into sandbox.

This game has destroyed any semblance of a good nights sleep for me. It's like Civ. Just one more assembly line to build. One more conveyor belt to place.

So tired...

I played through the campaign before doing the sandbox mode. I'm glad because it was a great introduction, but at the same time some of the equipment they handed you made things frustrating to have to build up to. Screw non-electric furnaces. It takes so long to farm up to the electric ones!

DoubleYou

I bought this game yesterday and I'm absolutely in love with it. And still there's so much I haven't been able to do yet. I'm overwhelmed in the most positive way.

Top Bottom