• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fairytale Prisoner by Choice: The Photographic Eye of Melania Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I heard this article getting praised on the Slate politics podcast and thought it raised some interesting points about the current First Lady.

Everyone has an eye, whether or not we see ourselves as photographers. What we choose to photograph and how we frame subjects always reveals a little about how we perceive the world. For someone like Melania, media-trained, controlled and cloistered, her collection of Twitter photography provides an otherwise unavailable view into the reality of her existence. Nowhere else — certainly not in interviews or public appearances — is her guard so far down.

Melania posted 57 photos from inside cars. I first assumed she took the 15 Central Park photos that she posted on foot, from inside the park, meaning that she was going out for a walk among the masses every once in a while.

Nope. When you look closely, you can see that tree branches are blurred with the motion of a car, the raindrops are not falling but stuck to a window, and the sunlight is refracted. Her idea of a walk in the park is a drive.

What do you think GAF? Is Melania Trump complicit in her husband's destructive and self serving presidency? Is she a victim who should be left alone? Is it right to expect public service from a First Lady or is that expectation just a sexist holdover from a more patriarchal time?

Also if Michelle Obama had spent her husband's presidency in a tacky gilded penthouse racking up hundreds of millions of dollars in security costs, how would America have taken it?

The only thing I expect her to do is move her ass to the White House so we won't waste more tax payer money and have more funneled into Trump's pockets. And she's not done that, so take that as you will.

Also if Michelle Obama had spent her husband's presidency in a tacky gilded penthouse racking up hundreds of millions of dollars in security costs, how would America have taken it?

More of how half of America viewed her

Even MORE racism
Comparisons to monkeys (see number 1)
She's a transgender
She should be killed
Obama's "baby momma"
Ghetto
Tacky
No class

ThisGuy

More of how half of America viewed her

Even MORE racism
Comparisons to monkeys (see number 1)
She's a transgender
She should be killed
Obama's "baby momma"
Ghetto
Tacky
No class

That shit ate me up. I hated the stuff she had to go through. She put in work as first lady and deserves respect and love. And I only got inkling view of what she had to deal with. What should have been one of the biggest periods of her life was tainted by shitty ass racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom