• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 jumps to No.1 across Europe following TV show launch

Sales of Fallout games have shot up across Europe, with Fallout 4 reclaiming the No.1 spot.

The 2015 game’s sales rose over 7,500% week-on-week across Europe. This is GSD data that tracks digital game sales across all European markets, and physical sales across all major European countries (including UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain).

This is due to some heavy discounting on games in the Fallout franchise across all platforms. It’s all designed to tie-in with the Fallout TV show, which has proven to be a smash hit on Amazon Prime.

The majority of Fallout 4’s sales this week were on PC, representing 69% of all sales, with the rest on PlayStation and Xbox. However, it’s worth noting that the game is freely available to subscribers of Xbox Game Pass and PlayStation Plus Extra (and that data is not included here). It's also available to Amazon Luna users.

Meanwhile, Fallout 76 comes in at No.8, with 85% of sales on PC (again, the game is on Game Pass and PS Plus). Fallout: New Vegas is at No.9 and Fallout 3 makes No.10.

Further down the charts, the Fallout Classic Collection is up to No.43, Fallout 2 is at No.57 and Fallout makes No.70.

With continued popularity of the Fallout TV series this week, expect the games to hang around for a while to come.

European Weekly Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1Fallout 4 (Bethesda)
2Helldivers 2 (Sony)
3EA Sports FC 24 (EA)
4Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
5Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision Blizzard)
6Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
7Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
8Fallout 76 (Bethesda)
9Fallout: New Vegas (Bethesda)
10Fallout 3 (Bethesda)

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
And I can't legally watch it, its great to go back to your roots without feeling guilty

StereoVsn

I can’t help it.

“The majority of Fallout 4’s sales this week were on PC, representing 69% of all sales, with the rest on PlayStation and Xbox.”

200w.gif

It is interesting that folks ignored the games which have been dirt cheap in sales for years and years and grabbed a copy after watching live action show.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
4 Fallout games in the top 10 sure is something.

Not gonna lie, it's 100% worked on me too. Looking forward to playing Fallout 4. But I'm also seriously considering getting into Fallout 76 first.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Maybe it will help MS understand that advertising and marketing in any of its forms (series based on IPs is also) helps sales.

A missed opportunity not to have accompanied the launch of the series with a new Fallout game or even a Remake.

The time comes when they should look at the possibility of leaving the Fallout IP to another Studio because Bethesda can't cope and having to wait until 2032 for a new Fallout is stupid and unnecessarily wasting the value of the IP that has even seen a boost now. .

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Maybe it will help MS understand that advertising and marketing in any of its forms (series based on IPs is also) helps sales.

A missed opportunity not to have accompanied the launch of the series with a new Fallout game or even a Remake.

The time comes when they should look at the possibility of leaving the Fallout IP to another Studio because Bethesda can't cope and having to wait until 2032 for a new Fallout is stupid and unnecessarily wasting the value of the IP that has even seen a boost now. .
Yes and no. What this also shows is that a lot of people aren't even caught up on the series and what's already out there. I kind of like seeing old games getting some real interest. People barely needed FO5 if they haven't even played 4 or 76.

Darsxx82

Yes and no. What this also shows is that a lot of people aren't even caught up on the series and what's already out there. I kind of like seeing old games getting some real interest. People barely needed FO5 if they haven't even played 4 or 76.
The message I wanted to highlight is that if you want to sell more and revalue the IPs you have, it is absolutely necessary that you get as many people as possible to know about it... and that is achieved by investing in advertising in any of its possibilities. MS has long believed that Twitter and word of mouth are enough and clearly the results dictate otherwise.

As for Fallout 5 not having helped?? There are a huge number of fans who have already played the previous ones and are waiting for something new. If you are a new fan, you can play those previous ones whenever you want as it is seen.

Fabieter

I can’t help it.

“The majority of Fallout 4’s sales this week were on PC, representing 69% of all sales, with the rest on PlayStation and Xbox.”

200w.gif

Isn't this on the same level as console warring? All people on all platforms are quite the same tho.

I can’t help it.

200w.gif

It is interesting that folks ignored the games which have been dirt cheap in sales for years and years and grabbed a copy after watching live action show.

I mean that is the power of transmedia, but the problem is just as you mentioned, the game is dirt cheap. If they had released a new version of Fallout 4 for like 40 or 50 bucks, they would have made a killing on it. The exact thing that Sony gets hammered for on the forums, but if God of War, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima tv shows and movies are successful, they'll all being selling at a significantly higher price point than Fallout 4.

Gran Turismo 7 continues to be one of the best selling PS5 games, and since Sony has largely taken Nintendo's approach to pricing, with the occasionally timed discounts, the game is still selling at pretty much full price.

Paasei

They should play Fallout 3 and New Vegas over Fallout 4. Fallout 4 isn't too bad, the gunplay is actually surprisingly good, but the writing is meh at best. Mods fix most of it, though.

I personally never stopped playing these 3 games, because of mods. But the TV show did make me play it a whole lot more than I did before.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Hopefully the revitalization of the IP may lead to a remake of Fallout 1 & 2 because trying to play them in the modern era is just painful. I didn't get into the franchise until Fallout 3, and it's probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but those old games haven't aged well outside the story.

Last edited:

taizuke

I've never been interested in the Fallout series. But, i'd be lying if the show hasn't made me want to checkout the games, especially Fallout 4 because of the next-gen patch.

Sethbacca

I've never been interested in the Fallout series. But, i'd be lying if the show hasn't made me want to checkout the games, especially Fallout 4 because of the next-gen patch.
Don't let the fact that Fallout 3 and NV are older dissuade you from trying them, especially if you have a PC and can mod the hell out of them to make them look graphically newer. FO3 was my first experience with the franchise so I still think it's my favorite at this point in spite of all it's flaws.

amigastar

I have Fallout 1 and 2 in my Steam Library. Which one is recommended to be played first? I've never played 1 and 2. Any mod recommendation?

Trogdor1123

Is the game like $5 or $10 right now with all the dlc? It’s a great value.

I’ve always like 4, I used to think the base building was dumb but once I got into it, it is fantastic. I just wish the spawn point issues were fixed

Three

Is the game like $5 or $10 right now with all the dlc? It’s a great value.

I’ve always like 4, I used to think the base building was dumb but once I got into it, it is fantastic. I just wish the spawn point issues were fixed
Game is on both PS+ and GP so the low price isn't surprising but with all DLC it's a pretty good deal.

Cyberpunkd

Hopefully the revitalization of the IP may lead to a remake of Fallout 1 & 2 because trying to play them in the modern era is just painful. I didn't get into the franchise until Fallout 3, and it's probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but those old games haven't aged well outside the story.
Youre Wrong Gordon Ramsay GIF by Hell's Kitchen

Top Bottom