• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 jumps to No.1 across Europe following TV show launch

I bought Fallout 1 & 2 on discount after watching the show, so I'm a statistic. And I picked up Fallout 76 for free on Prime Gaming and have playing that.

I think I'll wait to play Fallout 1 Remake if it ever comes out because playing FO1 for the first time in 2024 was ROUGH for me. I even used the Fallout 1-in-2 mod which is supposed to be a better experience.

Sethbacca

I bought Fallout 1 & 2 on discount after watching the show, so I'm a statistic. And I picked up Fallout 76 for free on Prime Gaming and have playing that.

I think I'll wait to play Fallout 1 Remake if it ever comes out because playing FO1 for the first time in 2024 was ROUGH for me. I even used the Fallout 1-in-2 mod which is supposed to be a better experience.
Yeah, I knew it was gonna be an unpopular opinion when I posted the same, but it just feels so incredibly janky by modern standards.

5 games of the Top 10 are Microsoft games :messenger_sunglasses:

Movie Scene Dance GIF by Fandor

taizuke

Don't let the fact that Fallout 3 and NV are older dissuade you from trying them, especially if you have a PC and can mod the hell out of them to make them look graphically newer. FO3 was my first experience with the franchise so I still think it's my favorite at this point in spite of all it's flaws.

Hopefully with the recent sales surge of Fallout 4, Bethesda will re-release FO3 and NV on consoles.

I don't have a PS3 anymore or a PC. I would gladly start with FO3 if I could.

Sethbacca

Hopefully with the recent sales surge of Fallout 4, Bethesda will re-release FO3 and NV on consoles.

I don't have a PS3 anymore or a PC. I would gladly start with FO3 if I could.
FO3 and NV are both available on Xbox via bc if you're an Xbox guy. Sadly, PS5 players (of which I am one) are left out in the cold. I'm hopefull for the rumored FO3 remaster myself though.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I bought all of the Fallout 3 DLC I never played, and setup Vortex for the high res texture pack mod. It has been a pleasant trip down memory lane these past few days.

I first tried Fallout 4 on PS5 but couldn't deal with the 30 fps and slow-moving story - maybe I'll give it another shot when the next gen patch drops.

arwtMbI.jpeg

Maybe it will help MS understand that advertising and marketing in any of its forms (series based on IPs is also) helps sales.

A missed opportunity not to have accompanied the launch of the series with a new Fallout game or even a Remake.

The time comes when they should look at the possibility of leaving the Fallout IP to another Studio because Bethesda can't cope and having to wait until 2032 for a new Fallout is stupid and unnecessarily wasting the value of the IP that has even seen a boost now. .
Yeah, Microsoft has a lot of 1st party devs who could make a new Fallout game quickly, any of Slegehammer/MachineGames/id/Avalanche could make the post-apocalyptic gameworld and Arkane/InXile could focus on the narrative/lore side. Obviously the main candidate would've been Obsidian but I'm not so sure they have the right people there anymore especially after The Outer Worlds which I thought was an incredibly disappointing game.

Last edited:

Taur007

Maybe it will help MS understand that advertising and marketing in any of its forms (series based on IPs is also) helps sales.

A missed opportunity not to have accompanied the launch of the series with a new Fallout game or even a Remake.

The time comes when they should look at the possibility of leaving the Fallout IP to another Studio because Bethesda can't cope and having to wait until 2032 for a new Fallout is stupid and unnecessarily wasting the value of the IP that has even seen a boost now. .
if they were smart xbox would've gotten a full blown remake while PS5 continue to receive the next gen update

Last edited:

EDMIX

I guess this means more videogame tv series in our future

although this didnt happend to halo

I mean, you have to be a good game first..

I'm not trying to be mean either, I think having a good show only works to get good sales on games IF the fucking game is actually legitimately good.

I guess this means more videogame tv series in our future

although this didnt happend to halo
Halo is streamed on Paramount+ which has way less subscribers, was not advertised as heavily (I have seen Fallout EVERYWHERE here in the US), the first season was extremely hit or miss, and overall was pretty mediocre. I really enjoyed most of the second season of Halo, but they really blew it with their show runner and writers. Seems like nobody involved with Halo in the last 10 years knows how to make good decisions......

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This just highlights how fucking stupid MS and Phil are.

You buy the Dev's of Fallout NV, KNOWING there is likely not a new one for a decade and you let them make Avowed.

Fallout NV 2 would likely be just around the corner if phil had some baws.

What a bellslap.

If anything, the resurgence of fallout says the opposite, it shows ms was smart to buy bethesda for the ip's they already had plus talented teams.

Also if you are being honest, you probably also would have complained ms was meddling/evil if the forced them away from avowed.

Last edited:
If anything, the resurgence of fallout says the opposite, it shows ms was smart to buy bethesda for the ip's they already had plus talented teams.

Also if you are being honest, you probably also would have complained ms was meddling/evil if the forced them away from avowed.
This, they could do an Elder Scrolls series as well.

Ozriel

M$FT

You buy the Dev's of Fallout NV, KNOWING there is likely not a new one for a decade and you let them make Avowed.

What a bellslap.

so Microsoft buys Obsidian, promising the devs that they’ll be allowed to have some level of creative freedom.

Then they turn around and force them to cancel a game they’ve been working on for a while, all to make a Fallout NV that Bethesda had no plans for them to make? You realize the Bethesda acquisition didn’t happen until March 2021?

Lmao. How do you guys come up with these things anyway?

mitchman

Gold Member
I bought it with all DLCs for PC, and it consistently crashes when running to the vault in the start of the game. The patch can't come soon enough.

Cyberpunkd

However what's the first thing Microsoft highlights after acquiring Bethesda? Starfield.

sam winchester yawn GIF

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I just bought again. Had the physical disc on PS4 but sold it ages ago.

Just bought for the PS5 on the PSN store, with Sniper Elite 4 and Kingdom Come. All three games came to £10.97. Bargain

Chukhopops

What a bellslap.
I don’t think we should encourage more IP concentration when almost every game is a sequel or remake those days. Even indies are just sequels for past successful titles at this point.

I also don’t think mainstream TV audience tastes should drive game creation, even though it’s the safest and more profitable approach in the end.

GHG

I'll humour you, please name me these fantastic ground breaking new IP that Microsoft has overseen from inception over the last decade? Which of them are better than Fallout New Vegas?

I need to understand what the opportunity cost is here instead of them letting Obsidian have another stab at (or, at the very least co-developing) another fallout game.

I'll humour you, please name me these fantastic ground breaking new IP that Microsoft has overseen from inception over the last decade? Which of them are better than Fallout New Vegas?

I need to understand what the opportunity cost is here instead of them letting Obsidian have another stab at (or, at the very least co-developing) another fallout game.
Avowed is more interesting. It promises a refinement of Grounded combat and exploration/ level design.

A new Fallout game in Bethesda engine is a known quantity and has been done multiple times.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Oh thank you sir for humoring me. How benevolent of you.

So to answer your question, google "Microsoft diarrhea turds Xbox new IP" and you'll get your answer.

GHG

Avowed is more interesting. It promises a refinement of Grounded combat and exploration/ level design.

A new Fallout game in Bethesda engine is a known quantity and has been done multiple times.

Avowed isn't out yet, but congratulations, I'll save this for later.

Oh thank you sir for humoring me. How benevolent of you.

So to answer your question, google "Microsoft diarrhea turds Xbox new IP" and you'll get your answer.

Ok, so, nothing?

Glad we got there in the end.

Chukhopops

I'm grateful that MS has a hands off approach and is fine supporting new IP. Can't believe people are asking for just more sequels.
Especially since using an existing IP has nothing to do with the quality of the final product. The last thing I want is a yearly Fallout game being rotated between three studios like CoD is. Or endless reimaginings of previous Fallout games with better graphics and simpler mechanics.

I still dream of an Obsidian game using the Starfield engine with a more open-ended approach in design. Something like Starfield: New Cassiopeia or whatever. But expanding on the PoE world with something new is just as good.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Especially since using an existing IP has nothing to do with the quality of the final product. The last thing I want is a yearly Fallout game being rotated between three studios like CoD is. Or endless reimaginings of previous Fallout games with better graphics and simpler mechanics.

I still dream of an Obsidian game using the Starfield engine with a more open-ended approach in design. Something like Starfield: New Cassiopeia or whatever. But expanding on the PoE world with something new is just as good.
Yeah, I was more thinking of Pentiment and Grounded as far as Obsidian. Avowed is a new title, but technically I wouldn't call it a new IP since Pillars exists. It's an untapped IP though that could have easily been abandoned without support. I'm excited for it because it's combining mainstream style WRPG gameplay with a much weirder world than we usually get, with influences not limited to being a Tolkien knockoff. A lot more variety in races, mythology, cultural influence in the Pillars world.

I think the next project from Obsidian will be even more interesting. I think Avowed was in the works for a long time as a possible multiplayer title. I get the sense they had to try that to get publisher support before being acquired. Luckily, it seems MS allowed them to rework it into single player only. What is going to be really interesting is seeing what Sawyer's next project is since he seemingly has complete free reign to make anything he wants. His 1st game after Pentiment will be something.

Last edited:

tkscz

A show people like based on the game that makes people go out and buy the game even if it's years old?
todd-howard-it-just-works.gif

StereoVsn

Halo is streamed on Paramount+ which has way less subscribers, was not advertised as heavily (I have seen Fallout EVERYWHERE here in the US), the first season was extremely hit or miss, and overall was pretty mediocre. I really enjoyed most of the second season of Halo, but they really blew it with their show runner and writers. Seems like nobody involved with Halo in the last 10 years knows how to make good decisions......
Yeah, I noped out of Halo after a few episodes, it was pretty terrible.

Fallout overall was a much better show at the end and hopefully that will translate into even better Season 2.

And yeah, in order for a show to capitalize on a game property the game / IP itself has to be good. Otherwise you won’t have a built-in audience.

Edit: I am surprised Todd didn’t re-release Fallout 4 Super Edition or whatnot on Xbox, PlayStation and PC Skyrim style.

Last edited:

DrFigs

However what's the first thing Microsoft highlights after acquiring Bethesda? Starfield.

sam winchester yawn GIF
These games were already in development. It's not like Phil personally asked them to stop making the next fallout / elder scrolls so they could work on some bullshit games.

sono

The show is very addictive. At times I had to stop myself letting the stream go to the next show because of other priorities. The world is somehow compelling to be in. So these are part of the reasons folk are jumping in or back into the game again.
I have F3 collectors edition PS3 calling to me in the corner of my home office

Roberts

4 Fallout games in the top 10 sure is something.

Not gonna lie, it's 100% worked on me too. Looking forward to playing Fallout 4. But I'm also seriously considering getting into Fallout 76 first.

Confession time: I still hadn't had the time to watch the show, but I have installed all four games on xbox mostly because my wife binged it and can't stop yapping about it to a point where I genuinely started feeling nostalgic about the games (and, yes, I have played them all including 76).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Confession time: I still hadn't had the time to watch the show, but I have installed all four games on xbox mostly because my wife binged it and can't stop yapping about it to a point where I genuinely started feeling nostalgic about the games (and, yes, I have played them all including 76).
I'm definitely behind on FO games! On episode 3 of the show. I'm sure you'll probably dig it. It's not super heavy and it's easy to get into.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

sam winchester yawn GIF

So? A lot of people actually quite like the game and it's still popular, it may not be as massive as hoped but it has legs.
You may also note it seems to be one of the first games ps5 owners talk about wanting when the rumors of multiplatform support hit, that tells you something too.

Top Bottom